How many of you still use 2D Classic?

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2D Classic is not as good as the standard 2D match view. Quite disappointing that it is absent.

On the other had, the 'Data Analysis' camera does look quite good when fully zoomed in, however, as mentioned, it is very difficult to see the ball in this view.

18 minutes ago, ben carter said:

2D classic used to look like this on FM17. Looked far better than the 2D in FM18 for me.

mahwidh.jpg

Again, apart from the pitch itself, in particulary the color, i don't see any difference. And @Neil Brockalready said that they already improved that issue.

So i'm guessing that for the release the 2D will be perfect (keeping my fingers crossed). :)

36 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

We've already made improvements to this so this will look better by the time we have the full release. Thanks. 

Thats really good to hear. Although I would like to know more about it.

If you can, please answer me this:

Will it look more like the older versions of the 2d classic?

Will it be more zoomed in the field itself?

I feel that the field looks too far out in that image (2018 version)

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, puffascruffowitz said:

It's funny I don't think I've ever seen one person say they use the "updated" 2D mode, I forget what it's called. I didn't even check this year is it still in the game? 

I only started using it in FM17 when I realised how much I preferred it to 2D classic. And now it's gone. Dang.

I'll try using the Data Analyst view, but my first impressions are that you have to zoom out too far to get any widgets on the screen, making the ball tiny and the players completely obscured by their nametags.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, brez22 said:

Why do SI put off so many people dicking around with 2D? Why is it a problem to have a classic view that so many love? They know 3D never pleased everyone too so why do something that you know won't please a lot of people? Really poor stuff.

2D was very much holding back the development of the match engine. Not just how it looks, how it plays and the AI behind it. Unfortunately for the progression of the game we had to make a very hard choice which we've done. We're trying to make 2D classic look as close as we can to how it was for FM17 so the change isn't too jarring for people, but I'm afraid that's how it is. 

7 hours ago, ben carter said:

2D classic used to look like this on FM17. Looked far better than the 2D in FM18 for me.

mahwidh.jpg

This version of 2D is fantastic and I'm gutted that it is currently absent in FM18.

I think there is some confusion over the names though. I thought this screenshot was of the '2D' engine - The '2D Classic' looked more like the 2D in FM18 with the stadium.

Matches themselves have become the worst thing about Football Manager.

1 minute ago, Deisler26 said:

Don't enjoy it. Even zoomed in, it doesn't give me the same level of detail and I can barely see the ball.

I guess this will be improved when the game is released.

On 10/26/2017 at 22:21, KUBI said:

Try out the data analyst camera, it offers the same as 2D classic, but in 3-D.

The thing is I tried that but you struggle to see the ball.  In fact you struggle to see the ball in most of the 3D camera angles.  You lose track of where the ball is.  I know it's been mentioned in the bug section, so hopefully it will be resolved, and then maybe I will go to the data analyst camera.

29 minutes ago, blue heron said:

And all these years we kept hearing there was no difference between 2d and 3d; that this was simply a different presentation of the ME behind it. Or am I misinterpreting your words?

The way I'm reading it, but probably will need Neil to confirm, is that there is/was no difference between 2D and 3D, "but" for the team to improve the ME "going forward" they would have to remove and retire the original 2D as there is likely to be a difference going forward. To avoid this they've made this decision to retire the original 2D into the FM museum!

Again, only how I'm reading it but would need confirmation that I've made the correct assumption. I may be completely wrong and so in which case I will hand my hand up!

If it was confirmed that there was a difference between how the the ME plays between 2D and 3D, then it would also back up a lot of the suspicions and conspiracy theories out there over the past number of years.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, blue heron said:

And all these years we kept hearing there was no difference between 2d and 3d; that this was simply a different presentation of the ME behind it. Or am I misinterpreting your words?

You're misinterpreting but I can see why you would from what I've said - Vinnyvagus77 pretty much has it right above. The 2D and 3D have always been the same. However, due to restrictions in place on the entire system from keeping the 2D system, this is why it's changed now.

21 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

We've already made improvements to this so this will look better by the time we have the full release. Thanks. 

really hope it's the same as the last iterations, for me I just feel the new 'classic' which is a bit of an oxymoronic term, is not as good and actually makes me contemplate whether to buy future versions. It seems that I'm not alone either.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, MeMyself2k13 said:

What I don't understand, is why you decided to make the game completely unplayable for a lot of players without gaming PCs, just because of match day graphics. FM is the kind of game where you spend 80% of your time in menus, how the actual matches are looking was always the least of my worries. Especially a few years into the save, where watching matches becomes more a burden than anything else, because you know exactly how your team plays.

Let's be honest, how many players do you think will actually enjoy seeing the same 5 seconds long 3D intro before they skip it, 5 years into the save? And this is why you decided to turn your back on a lot of loyal, older, less tech-savvy players, that have been with you since the beginning of the franchise, but will now be unable to play the game unless they buy a new computer?

I'm very disappointed with your decision to completely remove the 2D engine. I know that you've mentioned new graphics in the promotional videos, however you also have to understand that a lot of players trusted you to leave the option that helps the performance on older computers, in the game, like you did in previous editions. I'm afraid that FM18 will be the first FM in 6 years that I will not be purchasing.

It's not just the match day graphics though, it's how the entire graphics and match engine works. In doing this it allows us to do a lot more with the engine both this year and in future years. 

As we've already said, we're trying to make the 2D classic mode available in FM18 look as similar to 2D classic as in previous versions. 

And to be honest, how long should we be supporting old systems for? If a system is 10 years old, should it still be able to run modern games? Even now the minimum spec Intel graphics device is something that was released in 2008. That means we're still supporting something which is nine years old. In gaming terms that's a lifetime.  

16 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

And to be honest, how long should we be supporting old systems for? If a system is 10 years old, should it still be able to run modern games? Even now the minimum spec Intel graphics device is something that was released in 2008. That means we're still supporting something which is nine years old. In gaming terms that's a lifetime.  

What is the actual bare-minimum spec that would run FM18? Can I find the official system requirements anywhere? Also, do you by any chance know if the game will continue becoming more and more demanding from this point on or should the current engine work for a couple of years, like the previous one did?

I'm low on money, but god damn am I addicted to this game...

5 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

You're misinterpreting but I can see why you would from what I've said - Vinnyvagus77 pretty much has it right above. The 2D and 3D have always been the same. However, due to restrictions in place on the entire system from keeping the 2D system, this is why it's changed now.

Clear and thank you for answering. I was hoping that this was the case and that I was too negatively inclined.

18 hours ago, McClane29 said:

This version of 2D is fantastic and I'm gutted that it is currently absent in FM18.

I think there is some confusion over the names though. I thought this screenshot was of the '2D' engine - The '2D Classic' looked more like the 2D in FM18 with the stadium.

Matches themselves have become the worst thing about Football Manager.

2D classic is still in and isn't really any different from FM17, the mode that has been removed is the 2D one that used the 3D stuff.

This is from FM17:

fm17.thumb.png.c4336b48a7c16621f095c1b96fa124a0.png

This is from FM18:

fm18.thumb.png.ce5f7e1209dbf62cf4be026ad660f313.png

And this is them together FM18 on the left FM17 on the right

both.thumb.png.a1c6c22dfa67a46e9cfd3158bd204b59.png

The pitch area is the same size (slight change but it varies depending on the actual pitch size), whilst the stadium outline has just replaced the outer pitch stuff from FM17 and adboards have been added and as mentioned elsewhere the pitch is still being worked on.

1 minute ago, McClane29 said:

Has SI ever done market research with its fans to find out which is the dominate match engine? 2D seems to be stronger than you think.

They did and it is a small minority who are using 2-D as their preferred view.

The new flashing ads in 2d are almost making me feel nauseous in some transitions and I find them incredibly distracting. Does anyone have information on refunds for fm? Are they easy enough to get? I think I'll just move onto other games until that's changed, if it ever will be

16 hours ago, 71834 said:

The new flashing ads in 2d are almost making me feel nauseous in some transitions and I find them incredibly distracting. Does anyone have information on refunds for fm? Are they easy enough to get? I think I'll just move onto other games until that's changed, if it ever will be

You can refund it on steam at least. Depends on when you bought it and how much you've played it, but they do take cases like yours in consideration. 

• Administrators
17 hours ago, KUBI said:

They did and it is a small minority who are using 2-D as their preferred view.

Yeah the numbers for 2D use are smaller than you'd think - they surprised me when I first saw them. However this forum is only a small fraction of our overall user base and I would expect a higher percentage of people on here to use 2D than the percentage of people who don't use our forums. 

• Administrators
17 hours ago, 71834 said:

I'd suggest raising it on the bugs forum if you haven't already. If it is going to change it'll be due to a bug report being raised - thanks. 

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

If the dots were a bit bigger on the 2D engine, it would be more usable. 

Yeah as said previous the beta still is a work in progress and there is scope for potential changes, including the one you've mentioned. Thanks.