Football Manager TV: Sports Science

What I'll be keen to find out is how this info is presented if you're managing a small side who can't afford any sports scientists. If their role is more 'visible' now, what level of information will you have if you only have one physio, for example? If you see all the same stuff, then what is the advantage of having Sports Scientists? Strikes me that given 'medical centre' is a clickable feature on its own in the main toolbar, that you'll have access to this regardless. Maybe it will be the level of detail therein that'll change depending on the staffing levels. 

I like this feature and I am already hailing Dynamics and Sports Science as potential "mini-games' within FM. Totally looking forward to using the whip to see how many players I send to the treatment table and whether I can get a player revolt happening to get me kicked out within a month :-)

Ok, I'm sold, can't wait to play it. I was sold after scouting anyway.

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

What I'll be keen to find out is how this info is presented if you're managing a small side who can't afford any sports scientists. If their role is more 'visible' now, what level of information will you have if you only have one physio, for example? If you see all the same stuff, then what is the advantage of having Sports Scientists? Strikes me that given 'medical centre' is a clickable feature on its own in the main toolbar, that you'll have access to this regardless. Maybe it will be the level of detail therein that'll change depending on the staffing levels. 

This is what makes sense. A poor SS shouldn't be able to make dramatic changes. We have experienced the dramatic changes some professionals have done to prevent training injuries here in Brazil, and how some of them failed so hard. I hope this gets reflected. 

2 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

I like this feature and I am already hailing Dynamics and Sports Science as potential "mini-games' within FM. Totally looking forward to using the whip to see how many players I send to the treatment table and whether I can get a player revolt happening to get me kicked out within a month :-)

I will do what Emerson Leao used to do at Brazilian clubs -- get rid of the most influential player and anyone who is unhappy at that, no matter if they're club legends or scored the title winner 2 weeks prior to that. Let's see how we can push this dynamics feature. :D

Just now, Bobby_Zamora said:

I will do what Emerson Leao used to do at Brazilian clubs -- get rid of the most influential player and anyone who is unhappy at that, no matter if they're club legends or scored the title winner 2 weeks prior to that. Let's see how we can push this dynamics featur

You gotta build your own loyal group of supporters right? So ask them to come into your room, those who do not kiss you on the ring, they go out for a boat ride. 

8 minutes ago, Lynch48 said:

I never more excited to wait a new FM!!

Well done SI!!

Now give me the the date of beta already!!

my (incredibly unlikely) hope is that, because they're doing one of these almost every day, at the end they'll release a beta.. PROBABLY not, but plsplsplspls

Hopefully, and finally, that'll put an end to the "random injury epidemic"...

BTW, I know it's a long shot, but I'd really like to see previous injuries taking the toll on a player, making him more susceptible to similar incidents due to tear and wear (in the editor, there is indeed the "recurring" option for injuries, so there must be some sort of foundation to build on).

AFAICT, now injury proneness is random, where a guy with a high value is as likely to tear an abdominal muscle while taking a dump as to sprain his ankle 5 times in a season in training. With this new addition, could it be possible to have a guy who has had knee problems before be more prone to THAT specific injury?

I mean, if I sign Pato I'd "expect" him to miss many months with muscle injuries, or that poor Giuseppe Rossi isn't likely to last more than 20 games without going down to the Nth knee ligament career-ending injury.

3 minutes ago, RBKalle said:

AFAICT, now injury proneness is random, where a guy with a high value is as likely to tear an abdominal muscle while taking a dump as to sprain his ankle 5 times in a season in training. With this new addition, could it be possible to have a guy who has had knee problems before be more prone to THAT specific injury?

i think that was already in before. i am sure it is in with the overhaul if you better check the screenshots I think it says somewhere "recurring injurry".

Well done SI! Another good feature in my opinion. Wasn't too hyped when it was announced but having watched the video it looks like it'll really improve the game. Props for listening to the FM community too and focusing on the right things this year. Injuries always seemed too random and frequent. Great to have a way to manage that (as much as is possible). 

Looks like a very useful addition.

Personally I find injuries in FM quite frustrating, not because of their frequency (I agree that real life injuries are actually more frequent) but because 4-5 weeks 'minor' injuries (e.g. sprained ankle, broken arm) often result in pace/acceleration attributes drop, which seem to be quite hard to gain back especially for older (28+ years old) players. 

I don't think these types of injuries should have such a severe impact on player's physical ability, maybe a shorter temporary effect on attributes like agility, natural fitness and stamina until they re-gain ideal match fitness.

Edited by kandersson

In FM17 I experienced very few match injuries but an abundance of training injuries. I can recall a recent week where 3 of my top players all strained their backs lifting weights in gym. I wanted to climb in to the game world and murder my coaches.

Guest El Payaso

I just hope that the sports scientist will not be an easy way for teams having virtually no injuries at all. I mean like if you sign one with good attributes and follow the instructions and walk injury free just because of that. An easy method to avoid injuries would be really really bad as for example Arsenal haven't found an easy fix for their injury history and you could say that on some seasons they have been forced to throw the title hope away during the December - January area mainly because of this:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/arsenal-most-injured-premier-league-10123807

I hope that this as a feature once again actually requires us to pay more attention on what we are doing between those days between matches and also on how we set up training (area which, still fingers crossed, hopefully also experiences a revamp). 

It would be great if they worked with older players to perhaps develop individual training or match schedule advice that slowed the decline of physical attributes. On a basic level their advice could look like this:

Training = Include an additional rest day per week

Matches = limit to 1 fixture per week, 75 mins per game.

You could choose to ignore the advice but that would risk speeding their decline maybe.

5 hours ago, GOODNAME said:

That was nice but pretty boring,everyone waits for the ME and new graphic engine....

I think that will be last, FM i suspect are expecting a barrage of negativity when that sucker comes out. (simply because whatever they change, improve, itll upset some) All hell will for sure break loose i feel

29 minutes ago, MoxeysTheName said:

What sort of attributes should we be looking out for in Sports Scientists this year then, SI?

I reckon the new Sports Science attribute that was referenced in the video will be the only that matters. 

Just now, MoxeysTheName said:

How is that mentioning an attribute that might or might not be required?

The name of the attribute is “Sports Science”. It’s like pace, or finishing. Only more sciency 

Just now, gunner86 said:

The name of the attribute is “Sports Science”. It’s like pace, or finishing. Only more sciency 

I didn't realise that, that in itself was an attribute. If it is then I apologise for the confusion but there some very defensive people on here and they have added to the confusion by not putting it as clearly as you have. Thank you gunner86

5 minutes ago, MoxeysTheName said:

Not really, as it wasn't clear from what he said that Sports Science was an attribute for Sports Science in the same way Physiotherapy is an attribute for physios. I thought that he meant a Sports Science attribute and not the actual Sports Science attribute itself as I was not aware that it existed hence the reason for my original question.

When Hunter chipped in, I thought he was talking about something in the background of the video and I was unable to really make out what it said in the background due to my bad eyesight

I suggest waiting for FM Braille.

8 minutes ago, MoxeysTheName said:

When Hunter chipped in, I thought he was talking about something in the background of the video and I was unable to really make out what it said in the background due to my bad eyesight

I gave you the exact time in the video to look as well though, so there's no confusion. Isn't this clear?

image.thumb.png.502bc9589ef42a7101c4a77a4d4812ab.png

9 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

I gave you the exact time in the video to look as well though, so there's no confusion. Isn't this clear?

image.thumb.png.502bc9589ef42a7101c4a77a4d4812ab.png

I already said it was, in a previous post. I was just explaining where thee confusion came from as people seem to get a bit touchy about such things

Looks a great additon & should aid managers in knowing if any players are in the “Red Zone” as mentioned by a certain Mr Wenger in real life! It is more of a visual guide to how training workloads & number of matches can have an impact. Plus you can spot the Daniel Sturridge’s & Andy Carrol’s of your team so you can get rid of them :)

1 hour ago, martplfc1 said:

Miss something obvious, invent a serious eye condition instead of holding up your hands :D

Par for the course near release date.

Do you want screenshots of the scan? Or perhaps a Doctors note? Whatever you need, just you let me know and I'll get it. You've probably got a forensics lab in your garage, all set up to investigate instance's such as this. No detail gets past martplfc1

Edited by MoxeysTheName

39 minutes ago, MoxeysTheName said:

Do you want screenshots of the scan? Or perhaps a Doctors note? Whatever you need, just you let me know and I'll get it. You've probably got a forensics lab in your garage, all set up to investigate instance's such as this. No detail gets past martplfc1

Nah, I'll take your word for it :D

Funny how you accuse people of being very defensive, mind.

Edited by martplfc1