FM18 Regens

Is it confirmed that Regens are getting fixed in the next version (18)? I'm basically talking about how in the 17 version the regens are either: bald or almost completely bald at the age of 14 or they look like aliens from the XXXII century (enormous forehead, messed up proportions, low quality haircuts, 1000 yard stare etc.).

What I'm referring to:

unnamed.png

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, trickz said:

Is it confirmed that Regens are getting fixed in the next version (18)? I'm basically talking about how in the 17 version the regens are either: bald or almost completely bald at the age of 14 or they look like aliens from the XXXII century (enormous forehead, messed up proportions, low quality haircuts, 1000 yard stare etc.).

Doubt it...
SI=Reptilians, they support and promote the alien race!

:lol:

18 hours ago, GoldenGoal said:

I hope so too, i will skip the game for certain if this bug remains.

What a good reason to not buy the game...
Come on mate... You can even find workarounds to fix this, just google.

I want them to fix the quality of the regens, the game I'm playing there are literally no English born regen players coming through.....even my own clubs and I have the best facilities and max amount of money dedicated to scouting/youth...its pretty crap if I'm honest.  Who cares about what the pictures look like.

12 minutes ago, Jaffa said:

I want them to fix the quality of the regens, the game I'm playing there are literally no English born regen players coming through.....even my own clubs and I have the best facilities and max amount of money dedicated to scouting/youth...its pretty crap if I'm honest.  Who cares about what the pictures look like.

Upvote this then.

1 hour ago, ilkork said:

What a good reason to not buy the game...
Come on mate... You can even find workarounds to fix this, just google.

When i play FM i always holiday 30 years and play with regens only, so yes it is a good reason not to buy the game if that is how i play the game. Not everyone plays like you or likes the same things as you do about the game.

And no there are no workarounds, the only thing there is for changing this is more hairstyles and replacing the images with real player images (which are still bugged and the chin of the regen is visible below the photo). If there is such a workaround to change the facegen and proportions of the face, show us.

Just now, GoldenGoal said:

When i play FM i always holiday 30 years and play with regens only, so yes it is a good reason not to buy the game if that is how i play the game. Not everyone plays like you or likes the same things as you do about the game.

And no there are no workarounds, the only thing there is for changing this is more hairstyles and replacing the images with real player images (which are still bugged and the chin of the regen is visible below the photo). If there is such a workaround to change the facegen and proportions of the face, show us.

Well, you obviously are a minority. I guess you are right then, from your point of view :rolleyes:.
No, I meant the "more hairstyles", nothing new.

Newgen faces play a big role in immersing myself in long-term saves.

If done well, newgens can feel as ‘human’ - for want of a better word - as real-life players, and I can relate to them more. If done badly, the in-game universe feels like a horrible sci-fi programme where all the footballers are gradually replaced by what David Icke would call the Lizard Illuminati.

The newgen faces in FM13 were great, even if they did get samey after a while. The newgen faces in FM15 and FM16 weren’t perfect, but they were steps in the right direction. In FM17, though... dear God, where do I begin?

I didn’t have the devil eyes other users complained about. What I did have, though, were enormous foreheads, youth teams full of recuperating drug addicts, and players who started suffering from male pattern baldness as soon as they began secondary school.

Complete hair loss in 16-year-olds? I can accept that in a world where Jonjo Shelvey exists. What truly breaks the immersion for me is seeing goodness knows how many teenagers who resemble Bobby Charlton, Alan Cork or my old school headmaster.

Adding a third-party hairpack helps, but it’s not foolproof. Players can often switch between very different hairstyles, seemingly based on their morale. I’ve got one player who sometimes has a glorious 19th-century handlebar moustache and sometimes has barely any hair. Another usually has a full head of hair, but every now and then, he turns into this guy (minus the glasses, of course).

As trivial as they may seem to some, the newgen faces were the only aspect of FM17 I really did not like. If this has not been improved in FM18, then it’s just another reason for me to consider skipping the latest version.

2 minutes ago, ilkork said:

@CFuller Sir, that was awesome. Made my day, so true :lol:.

I see you around here all the time, but you don't post much, you should post more often :).

Believe me, I’m here more than you think. ;)

You’ll usually find me in the FM Stories sub-forum, but I’ll often drop in here every few hours. Long pieces, like the one above, tend to come when there’s something I want to get off my chest.

Just now, CFuller said:

Believe me, I’m here more than you think. ;)

You’ll usually find me in the FM Stories sub-forum, but I’ll often drop in here every few hours. Long pieces, like the one above, tend to come when there’s something I want to get off my chest.

Smart, funny jokes mixed with an FM story?
Okay then, I'm gonna have a look :thup:.

I can see why for some people think it isn't a big deal but there are others who like seeing how the regens look like, it adds character to the player, being able to differentiate everyone, it ''humanizes'' them.  Is it a gamebreaking thing? It isn't and it never will, but damn, how hard can it be to make them at least better? Hell, even the FM15 Regens are way better than the FM17 ones. Also just because there are workarounds made by fans doesn't mean SI shouldn't fix it. This is just my opinion of course.

Note: The Hairstyles mod also stopped working because some update made by SI messed the previous proportions and the creator said it he wouldn't fix it and probably wouldn't make a FM18 version.

21 hours ago, trickz said:

Also just because there are workarounds made by fans doesn't mean SI shouldn't fix it.

Of course SI should fix it. I never said that they shouldn't.
But hearing people say "I won't buy the game because of regen's look", is simply STUPID. Yes, @GoldenGoal and @SunDevil, I am referring to you. I mean, really?
I can understand if someone doesn't buy the game because of price, match engine, etc. but because your fake players don't look "normal"? Come on... That's like saying "I won't buy the game until they fix the manager's picture". Yes, it's an awful feature, but you won't buy it because of that? Come on...

1 hour ago, ilkork said:

But hearing people say "I won't buy the game because of regen's look", is simply STUPID. Yes, @GoldenGoal and @SunDevil, I am referring to you. I mean, really?
I can understand if someone doesn't buy the game because of price, match engine, etc. but because your fake players don't look "normal"? Come on... That's like saying "I won't buy the game until they fix the manager's picture". Yes, it's an awful feature, but you won't buy it because of that? Come on...

I'm sorry then, next time i'll ask you what i should consider about a game before i buy it, since i clearly cannot have my own opinion.

Better yet, you could buy the game for all of us if you think our reasons to not buy it are stupid, that's a way you could solve the problem if SI doesn't fix the regen faces.

I am a customer and i am not forced to buy anything i don't want to. Want me to buy something? Make it appealing to me, fail to do it and i won't buy it.

2 minutes ago, GoldenGoal said:

I'm sorry then, next time i'll ask you what i should consider about a game before i buy it, since i clearly cannot have my own opinion.

I'm sorry, how exactly are the -bad- regen pictures affecting you?

23 minutes ago, ilkork said:

I'm sorry, how exactly are the -bad- regen pictures affecting you?

He gave you pretty legitimate reason why this affects his game. Immersion is a huge part of gaming and if something is visually off, then it continuously draws you out of the game and back into the real world. If all your players look like zombies, it's harder to form a connection with them.

1 minute ago, Menion said:

Immersion is a huge part of gaming and if something is visually off, then it continuously draws you out of the game and back into the real world.

Maybe I'm getting old...
Still, you are saying that the regen faces are bad, but you have no problem with the ME animations that look like FIFA2007?

2 minutes ago, Menion said:

If all your players look like zombies, it's harder to form a connection with them.

How can you form a connection with a player that doesn't exist and will never exist?
I can understand if you do that with rl players. I do it. But with fake ones?

1 hour ago, ilkork said:

Maybe I'm getting old...
Still, you are saying that the regen faces are bad, but you have no problem with the ME animations that look like FIFA2007?

How can you form a connection with a player that doesn't exist and will never exist?
I can understand if you do that with rl players. I do it. But with fake ones?

Pretty much what Menion said. The ME animations look a decent portrayal of human body capabilities and movement when playing football.

You cannot connect with anything that does not and will not exist? Your argument is funny. So you cannot connect with characters in movies, books, tv shows, cartoons, stories, video games unless they are based on a real life person? And i'm the one that gets called on having bad reasons to dislike stuff.

3 minutes ago, GoldenGoal said:

Pretty much what Menion said. The ME animations look a decent portrayal of human body capabilities and movement when playing football.

You cannot connect with anything that does not and will not exist? Your argument is funny. So you cannot connect with characters in movies, books, tv shows, cartoons, stories, video games unless they are based on a real life person? And i'm the one that gets called on having bad reasons to dislike stuff.

Ok, don't buy the game.
At the end of the day, what's it to me?

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 23:34, ilkork said:

Still, you are saying that the regen faces are bad, but you have no problem with the ME animations that look like FIFA2007 98?

Fixed. It's so jarring, even on a terribly high end laptop that I've gone back to commentary. The crowd is awful,  the managers look like XCom Thin Men and the buildings and burger vans remind me of something out of a 90's console port.

Comparing this...

2963330-fm2016-7.png

with this...

2.jpg

...is just silly. Match Engine animations in FM will probably never reach the same state-of-the-art level of a contemporary FIFA or PES, but it's ridiculous to suggest that the ME barely matches up to a game released 10 or even 20 years ago. Simply looking at the 'crowds' in those two pictures completely disproves that point.

Anyway, we're in danger of veering off-topic...

On 16/10/2017 at 00:55, GoldenGoal said:

That's my point right there. :thup: I like to feel a connection between my newgens as their careers develop with me, just like I'd feel an attachment to a TV character or a comic character I like. If I don't feel that (i.e. newgens don't look realistic), how am I supposed to maintain my interest?

They look awful.

However, I'm 99% sure that their faces are tied to their hidden mental attributes. I got no evidence of this. But resolutes look... resolute, and so on. Ambitious. Slacks. Many look like their personality. Not always in the most subtle way to be honest, also quite repetitive, but I like the idea and the effort put.

On 10/15/2017 at 20:59, ilkork said:

Or it could be viewed as laziness on the developers part if an easily fixable aspect isn't looked at?

A major annoyance to me, alongside weird half baked graphics, is the media questions - often repetitive, bland, unrealistic and very often completely irrelevant. They have been for many years now with even the same daft unrealistic questions still being asked - When did you last hear a RL manager being asked to single out a specific opposition player as a weak link? Utterly stupid game design for what is the best football simulation out there and seemingly only in there due to some lack of care or laziness.

And if those small things aren't addressed isn't it reasonable to assume that there's maybe some complacency creeping in which could affect bigger issues and as such would make you question spending good money on the product?

On 10/14/2017 at 18:07, CFuller said:

If done well, newgens can feel as ‘human’ - for want of a better word - as real-life players, and I can relate to them more. If done badly, the in-game universe feels like a horrible sci-fi programme where all the footballers are gradually replaced by what David Icke would call the Lizard Illuminati.

The newgen faces in FM13 were great, even if they did get samey after a while. The newgen faces in FM15 and FM16 weren’t perfect, but they were steps in the right direction. In FM17, though... dear God, where do I begin?

I didn’t have the devil eyes other users complained about. What I did have, though, were enormous foreheads, youth teams full of recuperating drug addicts, and players who started suffering from male pattern baldness as soon as they began secondary school.

Complete hair loss in 16-year-olds? I can accept that in a world where Jonjo Shelvey exists. What truly breaks the immersion for me is seeing goodness knows how many teenagers who resemble Bobby Charlton, Alan Cork or my old school headmaster.

Adding a third-party hairpack helps, but it’s not foolproof. Players can often switch between very different hairstyles, seemingly based on their morale. I’ve got one player who sometimes has a glorious 19th-century handlebar moustache and sometimes has barely any hair. Another usually has a full head of hair, but every now and then, he turns into this guy (minus the glasses, of course).

As trivial as they may seem to some, the newgen faces were the only aspect of FM17 I really did not like. If this has not been improved in FM18, then it’s just another reason for me to consider skipping the latest version.

This! Spot on.

On 10/18/2017 at 20:32, SweatyBob said:

Or it could be viewed as laziness on the developers part if an easily fixable aspect isn't looked at?

A major annoyance to me, alongside weird half baked graphics, is the media questions - often repetitive, bland, unrealistic and very often completely irrelevant. They have been for many years now with even the same daft unrealistic questions still being asked - When did you last hear a RL manager being asked to single out a specific opposition player as a weak link? Utterly stupid game design for what is the best football simulation out there and seemingly only in there due to some lack of care or laziness.

And if those small things aren't addressed isn't it reasonable to assume that there's maybe some complacency creeping in which could affect bigger issues and as such would make you question spending good money on the product?

When are we expecting your competing product then?  It seems really easy by the way you're describing it, so I'm sure it's almost ready :rolleyes:

Ever considered that if something is "broken" and hasn't been fixed, that it may not be as "easily fixable" as you claim?  Or, perhaps, maybe just maybe, they don't consider it particularly important?  It's nothing to do with complacency, it's nothing to do with laziness, it's about priorities.  Which is clear and obvious to anyone who actually takes two minutes to think about it and not just orate from a lofty position on something they clearly know nothing about.

It's posts like this that mean no-one gets a sniff of any kind of communication from the developers themselves on here.  Why should they, when they get treated to lazy (oh the irony) posts like this.

33 minutes ago, forameuss said:

When are we expecting your competing product then?  It seems really easy by the way you're describing it, so I'm sure it's almost ready :rolleyes:

Ever considered that if something is "broken" and hasn't been fixed, that it may not be as "easily fixable" as you claim?  Or, perhaps, maybe just maybe, they don't consider it particularly important?  It's nothing to do with complacency, it's nothing to do with laziness, it's about priorities.  Which is clear and obvious to anyone who actually takes two minutes to think about it and not just orate from a lofty position on something they clearly know nothing about.

It's posts like this that mean no-one gets a sniff of any kind of communication from the developers themselves on here.  Why should they, when they get treated to lazy (oh the irony) posts like this.

I think maybe he worded his post too strongly, like we all can we are passionate about something. The key part is more about what is a priority as a large proportion of fans feel (or not as this is my opinion that that I'm indirectly including everyone in to make it appear more valid) that the priorities that SI seem to working towards and not exactly in-line with what the community wants, which is a very blurry direction anyway as it wants rather a lot. There seems to be a huge empahiss on interaction with the media and players, when the fans (general assumption again)  want improved tactical flexibilty/precision.

Back to the point, I will be highly suprised if SI hasn't improved the faces and made them at least look vaguely human. There's been a big empahiss on graphical improvement so they would look even more out of place next to the new shiny kits/interface.

17 minutes ago, Menion said:

I think maybe he worded his post too strongly, like we all can we are passionate about something. The key part is more about what is a priority as a large proportion of fans feel (or not as this is my opinion that that I'm indirectly including everyone in to make it appear more valid) that the priorities that SI seem to working towards and not exactly in-line with what the community wants, which is a very blurry direction anyway as it wants rather a lot. There seems to be a huge empahiss on interaction with the media and players, when the fans (general assumption again)  want improved tactical flexibilty/precision.

Back to the point, I will be highly suprised if SI hasn't improved the faces and made them at least look vaguely human. There's been a big empahiss on graphical improvement so they would look even more out of place next to the new shiny kits/interface.

But therein lies the issue - what should they be focusing on?  No one person can say that the majority want (and I know you didn't use those exact words) and going too far down the route of just satisfying every whim of a community is a journey that will cause problems sooner or later.  They have their vision for the game, and they will have their own priorities.  Ideally, these line up with the wants of the users, but for certain features - small things especially - there's going to be a lot of difference.  There's plenty of people here acting like it's some kind of personal hell that the faces look like that, whereas although I can see they look pretty dreadful, I'd rather have their current state than the silhouette option.  In that sense, it's very low priority for me.  My number one feature would be some kind of API, which I know they're probably never going to make because it's an extremely low priority.

It isn't just this phenomena that SI have brought in, it's just software development.  I work on a high-frequency trading and risk management platform, and most of the time it's an absolute mess.  If we really wanted to, we could pick up thousands of things that would be "easy" to fix in a relative sense, but we don't.  There are always far more important things to work on, which means smaller things get left behind.  And rightly so.  There's always the intention that you can go back and do some of them, maybe polish a few off in brief lull periods, but it rarely works that way.  And that's on a perpetual system that doesn't have the same sort of cut-off or release pressure that a software title will have.  

Talking about priorities is fine, and it's absolutely OK to disagree with any perceived priorities that SI have.  Calling them lazy and talking from a point of ignorance on the subject isn't though, and it's a main contributor - alongside the pointless abuse - why we don't get the benefit of actually getting to talk to the devs on here.

3 hours ago, forameuss said:

But therein lies the issue - what should they be focusing on?  No one person can say that the majority want (and I know you didn't use those exact words) and going too far down the route of just satisfying every whim of a community is a journey that will cause problems sooner or later.  They have their vision for the game, and they will have their own priorities.  Ideally, these line up with the wants of the users, but for certain features - small things especially - there's going to be a lot of difference.  There's plenty of people here acting like it's some kind of personal hell that the faces look like that, whereas although I can see they look pretty dreadful, I'd rather have their current state than the silhouette option.  In that sense, it's very low priority for me.  My number one feature would be some kind of API, which I know they're probably never going to make because it's an extremely low priority.

It isn't just this phenomena that SI have brought in, it's just software development.  I work on a high-frequency trading and risk management platform, and most of the time it's an absolute mess.  If we really wanted to, we could pick up thousands of things that would be "easy" to fix in a relative sense, but we don't.  There are always far more important things to work on, which means smaller things get left behind.  And rightly so.  There's always the intention that you can go back and do some of them, maybe polish a few off in brief lull periods, but it rarely works that way.  And that's on a perpetual system that doesn't have the same sort of cut-off or release pressure that a software title will have.  

Talking about priorities is fine, and it's absolutely OK to disagree with any perceived priorities that SI have.  Calling them lazy and talking from a point of ignorance on the subject isn't though, and it's a main contributor - alongside the pointless abuse - why we don't get the benefit of actually getting to talk to the devs on here.

I completely agree. You cannot be too consumer focused as consumers are very fickle beasts and generally don't really understand what they want. If you listened too much to the community then the game would be akin to a drag queen, all show and little substance.

With regards to the faces, the previous iterations were far superior. I'm of the mind in life that if it isn't an improvement then don't include it. Park it and spend more time on it or scrap it.

Devs will always struggle in forums. Their voice isn't heard and they constantly just deal with complaints rather than engaging with the community. It's why I think QAs work a bit better.

On 10/15/2017 at 15:59, ilkork said:

You can add me to the list.  I didn't buy FM17 because of the faces.  If they're not fixed, I'll keep playing FM16.  It's really fine with me as I didn't really need or appreciate the other added features.  When they add features I want like reasonable regens, I'll plunk down the extra cash.  I'm not going to robo buy just because.  I'm disappointed they won't fix the manager pics either (that thread was shut down faster than the two minutes hate).

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 15:08, forameuss said:

My competing product does not exist. I'm not a software developer and to say you can't criticise a product, or aspect of a product, unless you're creating a better competing product is a ridiculous positon to take. By that logic nobody could ever criticise any aspect of anything unless they were doing the same thing better.

Internet gone down? Start your own ISP.

Power cuts? Build your own power station or stop complaining

Food undercooked in a restaurant?  You're not a chef so less moaning

The media questions would not be a difficult fix though I'm more than open to being corrected - You could keep the engine exactly the same and just change the text. A very minor cosmetic change which could dramatically alter the perception of how realistic it feels.  And the laziness perhaps comes from the implementation - the journalists are asking questions that just don't get asked in real life. This is not something that's difficult to research, just watch a couple of press conferences. I'm all for ambition and trying to build a deeper more engrossing game world but to do it in such an unrealistic fashion is much more damaging to the product than just leaving it out.

Personally I believe that getting what is in there right should take precedent over cramming in more content. The graphics for the manager in FM17 are a case in point. It's laughably bad so why is it in there? Maybe complacency or a that'll do attitude? It's a suspicion for me personally and is what has seen me go from buying every version ever since the Championship Manager days on the Amiga to skipping years now and again.

24 minutes ago, SweatyBob said:

My competing product does not exist. I'm not a software developer and to say you can't criticise a product, or aspect of a product, unless you're creating a better competing product is a ridiculous positon to take. By that logic nobody could ever criticise any aspect of anything unless they were doing the same thing better.

Internet gone down? Start your own ISP.

Power cuts? Build your own power station or stop complaining

Food undercooked in a restaurant?  You're not a chef so less moaning

The media questions would not be a difficult fix though I'm more than open to being corrected - You could keep the engine exactly the same and just change the text. A very minor cosmetic change which could dramatically alter the perception of how realistic it feels.  And the laziness perhaps comes from the implementation - the journalists are asking questions that just don't get asked in real life. This is not something that's difficult to research, just watch a couple of press conferences. I'm all for ambition and trying to build a deeper more engrossing game world but to do it in such an unrealistic fashion is much more damaging to the product than just leaving it out.

Personally I believe that getting what is in there right should take precedent over cramming in more content. The graphics for the manager in FM17 are a case in point. It's laughably bad so why is it in there? Maybe complacency or a that'll do attitude? It's a suspicion for me personally and is what has seen me go from buying every version ever since the Championship Manager days on the Amiga to skipping years now and again.

Not really what I said though, is it?  A few weeks and you still completely miss the point.  Criticism of a product is fine, but you framed it by calling the developers lazy several times, which isn't so good unless you're coming from a position where you are in the industry and know what you're talking about.  Hence the competing product line.  I thought that was obvious.

No change is easy.  Every change needs considerable testing.  It's all relative of course, but the "it's just an easy fix" line is a dreadful argument whenever it's put forward, because usually it comes from a point of complete ignorance of what is actually involved.  You say you can just add lines for the press questions, but how is that a fix?  All you're doing is reskinning and buying you a few months before people get bored of it again. Press conferences - now with new hat!

Image result for malibu stacy new hat

What you really need to do is completely change the module itself, make it have more context, make it seem more like it's actually reacting to situations rather than following a script.  Doesn't sound so easy now, does it?

I'm also failing to see where the parallels are between being lazy or complacent (which they're neither) and adding new features.  Surely if they were that lazy, they'd be sitting back and just releasing updated databases, rather than spending time working on completely new modules?  If they were to do as you say and "get things right", then where does it stop?  When are features considered "right"?  Does that take one version?  Two versions?  Three versions?  How do you sell that product in the interim?  "We've got no new features per se, but we do have features that are now 'completely right'!"  Not exactly a recipe for success.  

SI have always followed a similar pattern.  Every single release.  Every one of them has a small number of core new features, a larger number of smaller new features, and an even larger number of tweaks/quality of gameplay improvements that include tweaks and fixes for previous issues.  Of those, a lot of the features aren't quite in the state they perhaps envisage them, but they put them in anyway.  Is that the best strategy?  For them, clearly they believe so.  And clearly, since you say you've been buying since the early CM days, you've been watching them do exactly this for years.  Why are you so raging now when they've not changed since then?

Every start of the season, I create my own newgen faces and assign them to players I think will play in the first team (if they don't have a custom face yet). Usually I make about half a dozen or so per season. Maybe that's a suggestion if you really don't like the newgen faces? Takes about 5 mins per new face. There's software out there that can create random faces for you. 

On 10/14/2017 at 17:07, CFuller said:

The handlebar moustaches and combovers, especially with mutton chop sideburns are particularly hilarious. You have this 17 year old footballer who seems to have styled his look based on a Victorian mill owner from Yorkshire, in a period drama. It would be like Pride and Prejudice had somehow become key youth culture. 

2 hours ago, Luke Cro said:

well damn, son, all these years they changed only look of regens face, hair in 2008 and 2017 looks same imo... regens looked even better in fm2008

To be honest, the hair on FM08 looked like it had simply been glued onto newgen heads, and the actual faces got very samey after a while. Things got a little better in that respect for FM11-FM13, and there was some more variety to the faces.

With the new game officially coming out tomorrow, we should soon see if newgen faces have indeed been improved. That'll play a big role in whether I decide to play FM18 beyond the six-month demo.

To be fair, the reason I don't use the region faces, is because most of them, they seemed they are about to murder me... It's creepy. I would prefer to have them be more cartoony... less creepy.

Just my two cents...

I'm beginning to notice that not many in here are at all familiar with the process of software development, but seem to have VERY strong opinions on how it should be done. Some of you should listen to what @forameuss are saying, since he makes some good points here.

If you expect a developer to listen to EVERYTHING the customer want you would end up with a product no one would have bought or enjoyed even a bit. I work very closely with a customer in regards to their wants and needs, but we really need to stop a lot of it since the end result would not be something they would like. As many people who work in this line of business knows, what the product owner (customer) tells you they want is often FAR from what they actually would use and enjoy.

I do agree something needs to be done with the newgen/regen faces, but I would assume small graphical issues such as this would have a much lower priority than the Match Engine for example. The thing is, SI probably have a million things on their backlog, both new features, refactoring and of course bugs and issues. If they were to fix everything then we wouldn't have a new version for a couple of decades. And even then, what you want and what I want might not be possible to have in the same game!

As consumers we have a few options:

• Post bug reports to the developer when we find issues
    • I've posted around 20 myself this BETA and most have been fixed or are under review
  • Suggest new features or changes to existing ones
    • There is a sub section for this, and SI monitor it. Many people have noticed their suggestions implemented.
  • Stop buying the game
    • Seriously, if you don't like it, don't buy it. There is a demo for everyone to try out. Questions regarding other thing will mostly be answered here on the forums should anyone ask.

If what you want isn't implemented it could be because your suggestion goes against the roadmap SI have set, or that it's not possible at the moment, and it might be added later. They will have their own process as to what and how the implement changes.

I'm enjoying the FM18 Beta a lot so far. I've had a few bugs, even some very annoying ones, but since we are in a beta after all you cannot expect a flawless game. You probably shouldn't expect that even after release, since just about every program out there have bugs and issues. I'm playing this game and enjoy it, I've done so the past 20+ years, and this is the reason I keep buying the game every year. If I felt SI wanted to take this game in a direction I didn't like I would stop buying it. It really is that simple.

25 minutes ago, XaW said:

I'm beginning to notice that not many in here are at all familiar with the process of software development, but seem to have VERY strong opinions on how it should be done. Some of you should listen to what @forameuss are saying, since he makes some good points here.

If you expect a developer to listen to EVERYTHING the customer want you would end up with a product no one would have bought or enjoyed even a bit. I work very closely with a customer in regards to their wants and needs, but we really need to stop a lot of it since the end result would not be something they would like. As many people who work in this line of business knows, what the product owner (customer) tells you they want is often FAR from what they actually would use and enjoy.

I do agree something needs to be done with the newgen/regen faces, but I would assume small graphical issues such as this would have a much lower priority than the Match Engine for example. The thing is, SI probably have a million things on their backlog, both new features, refactoring and of course bugs and issues. If they were to fix everything then we wouldn't have a new version for a couple of decades. And even then, what you want and what I want might not be possible to have in the same game!

• I've posted around 20 myself this BETA and most have been fixed or are under review
    • There is a sub section for this, and SI monitor it. Many people have noticed their suggestions implemented.
  • Stop buying the game
    • Seriously, if you don't like it, don't buy it. There is a demo for everyone to try out. Questions regarding other thing will mostly be answered here on the forums should anyone ask.

If what you want isn't implemented it could be because your suggestion goes against the roadmap SI have set, or that it's not possible at the moment, and it might be added later. They will have their own process as to what and how the implement changes.

I'm enjoying the FM18 Beta a lot so far. I've had a few bugs, even some very annoying ones, but since we are in a beta after all you cannot expect a flawless game. You probably shouldn't expect that even after release, since just about every program out there have bugs and issues. I'm playing this game and enjoy it, I've done so the past 20+ years, and this is the reason I keep buying the game every year. If I felt SI wanted to take this game in a direction I didn't like I would stop buying it. It really is that simple.

Can't really disagree with any of this.

23 minutes ago, XaW said:

• Stop buying the game

Pretty much, There is always issues and pretty much we have a full new cycle kick started with more core features. I think it might take even FM19 to fix the issues we have in FM18 that doesn't stop me playing it. The more they refine the better it will be. I think many (even me hate the new UI designs) as it completely made hard to get on with it , but it takes time to sort them out give them time we had not even 2 weeks since beta arrived which we shouldn't forget, as Game officially releases tomorrow. 

Yeh but there is a more general point here that really a game like FM should not be on yearly release/development cycle but I imagine this is needed for their cash flow.  We should really get like a database update, as in paid for DLC for the new season that should be strictly updated leagues/players/transfers etc. but new features should be more like every 2 years maybe even every 3, that way they could more fully work on these issues. 

1 hour ago, XaW said:

• Stop buying the game

I think threads like this, is not costumers tell developers what to do with their game. it is to tell that that particular feature should be improved. The developer decides how it should be improved and we give our feedback if it was the right direction or not. The regen faces should be improved, but a lot of people know that it might be not possible. A reasonable answer from the developers, will be understandable explanation to a lot of people, will understand if region faces aren't upgraded this year.

But my main issue with your reply is that you don't count, that the majority of people here (if not all of them) are fans. A fan is person who is enthusiastically devoted to something (in our case FM). Trying to say to a fan, that if you don't like it, don't buy the game, is pretty in theory, but in practice doesn't work. So no it is not really that simple.

Games like this needs criticism. it is important to have them (as long as they are constructive and not slashing everything and everyone, as I seen through out the internet, but also don't agree the dismissiveness of some users (some here in these forums), about the criticism others make. Even constructive.) It was due to the people voicing their discontent about how FM has become so micro-menage, that probably led to SI realise, the importance of developing a version like FM Classic/Touch.

We cannot be dismissive of any sort of constructive positive and negative reviews. That is why agreed with Miles tweet, saying reviews either good or bad are most welcome. Because it can allow developers to see and determine, what their priority be in the next version of the game or for the next update. SO...

To finish, I encourage threads like this. Where opinions from either sides of the spectrum are welcome and anyone who disrespects the code of conduct should be banned (again from both sides of spectrum).

Going on topic, yes, I think regen faces needs to be upgraded or changed (either of them works for me). I know that it is possibility they haven't been upgraded, so if still see those faces and wanting to murder me, I will simply turn them off.

Archived