[Suggestion] Transitional tactical instructions

XaW

I added this in the thread for the FM18 Tactics video, and it seems like quite some people liked it and asked me to post it here as well.

My was as following:

I would like to see more "transitional" instructions. For instance when the team loses possession do <something>, when the team regain possession in advanced areas do <something>. This would allow us to give more tactical instructions as to how the transitional phases were to be executed. Like gegenpress. If the team loses possession full on pressing for a short while, if unsuccessful then fall back into deeper positions. Or more detailed counterattacking options. If we are getting the ball in advanced areas everyone in wide areas bomb forward to create space for a cross to our big target man.

As I stated, I get it might be hard to do, but it would give a more realistic approach to tactics, or at least the transitional phases of the play. This is, at least for me, the most lacking aspect of tactics for the moment. 

To expand a bit:

The difference in many teams are how they handle transitioning between attack and defense, and vice versa. Take counterattacking as an example. The ball is won and some teams smash it up into space for a fast striker to chase while others try to help out. Other teams try to play it onto the feet a less quick striker to link up with other faster wingers or midfielders for example. Take Lukaku for Man Utd as the first example as opposed to Ibrahimovic as the link up striker. The tactic for transitional play is very different depending on the counterattacking play from those two players. This is something that we have no influence over tactically at the moment.

The same goes for defensive transitions. Take Klopp's gegenpress at Liverpool. If the ball is lost on the 3rd part of the pitch then do a massive close down to win it back, but only for a while. If the opposition manages to play off the pressure, then retreat to the own half and set up a defensive parameter there. This is also not something that is possible in the current tactical setup, at least I haven't been able to. I've even had a thread about in the tactics subforum. I had many good suggestions about other aspects, but for the gegenpress I have not had any suggestions.

I don't think this is an easy thing to implement, but I hope something like this will be possible in future games. Feel free to add to this if anyone have any thoughts or ideas around the more transitional tactical instructions.

• 2 months later...

Archived