Breaking News: Football Manager 2018 Headline Features

Guest El Payaso
1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Not really. Even with the awful set up, the players should have finished the chances. 

This wasn't a good set up frustrated. It was a poor setup that was was still missing really good chances. 

Bad tactical management and low morale, responsibility shirking players. 

I get the point you're trying to make, but Argentina are not the example to use imo

And basically all of those through Messi's individual brilliance and not every team has Messi. Hard to compare though how many chances they would have created if for example Dybala would have been playing instead of Messi. Bottom line though is that they didn't score even when should have. And with all those world class attacking players they have been struggling with their attack basically throughout 2017. But no need to discuss about it any further as we both know what I mean by this.

On FM you would wipe the floor with teams like Bolivia and Peru. Especially playing at home. 

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been here from the start, don't need to know a thing before I purchase this game. I don't recall ever thinking that the new version is worst than the last one.

I agree with a few comments about introducing some more refined pressing tactics into the game, you never know it may be one of the improvements to tactical options mentioned.

Can only live in hope.

6 hours ago, birkelse said:

Anyone get a player to dribble past a goalkeeper ?  Hope it can be done in Fm 18 .

Never.

I also never saw player completely miss the penalty, it`s always on target.

Edited by zigaliro

3 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Iv'e not seen the dribble in recent versions, but have seen a few penalties go over or wide, usually in penalty shoot outs

Well I guess this is too rare. Should be more common. in 200+ hours, and in 100+ episodes of FM on youtube I have never seen  penalties go wide.

Edited by zigaliro

That reminds me I haven't seen a handball in recent versions. I think the last one was FM11.

And I have never seen a keeper fouling a striker (although that one has to do with no dribbling past the goalkeeper) or a player receiving a yellow for wasting too much time.

17 minutes ago, Zek said:

That reminds me I haven't seen a handball in recent versions. I think the last one was FM11.

And I have never seen a keeper fouling a striker (although that one has to do with no dribbling past the goalkeeper) or a player receiving a yellow for wasting too much time.

I have seen handballs in game, So they are definitely still there

2 hours ago, cris182 said:

I have seen handballs in game, So they are definitely still there

In my last save, my goalkeeper got a couple of yellow cards for handling the ball outside of the box, so it does definitely happen.

17 hours ago, Rikulec said:

Handballs are there, feels like they're way too rare though. There always seems to be a yellow card no matter what the circumstances are as well.

Would you consider a bog-standard handball a highlight? Probably why you don't see them very often.

Seems like an interesting concept & I can see the various feedback screens being a great help to those who have previously struggled with effective squad management although as ever with FM'ers I suspect some will get drawn into trying to game the system in an attempt to achieve perfection, which some will succeed in while others will inevitably lose sight of the main objective.,....winning matches,

I foresee some interesting threads developing in the tactics forum,

Nothing in the video about how AI managers have been improved to cope with this increased focus on personalities & squad management, I hope that's just a case of it's a given that SI will have increased the ability of the AI inline with the additional assessment tools given to the user to keep the single player game competitive & challenging. It would be nice if there is a less clear representation when using fog of war, one of the attributes to be a successful manage is being able to identify & deal with the intangibles of individual personalities within a larger group & I'd not be a fan if this skill has been reduced to a simple meta of signing players to fit into a chart & for it to be a perfect representation when irl such a methodology is an inexact science.

3 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Interesting Video, but I felt it could have explained in more detail how it all will affect what happens on the pitch.

Surely that's for you to found out while playing the game?

Well that screenshot looks a bit embarrassing from marketing aspect & troubling from a game play perspective, getting both positive & negative info for the same subjective metric does not fall into the helpful & well designed feature box.

Hopefully it's just an early pre-beta screen of a now fixed bug that slipped through quality control check when editing the video.

I suspect it's more than just improved visual representations of the existing code although even if that was the case for many struggling FM'ers it would still be a noteworthy feature.

1 minute ago, Viking said:

I like it. I imagine it will be useful for morons like me who usually are clueless on why team morale suddenly hits rock bottom and what to do about it.

I think I kinda like it. It does look like we'll need to invest hours in placating our special snowflakes before we get anywhere near a football pitch.

I hope the scouts and analysts are not too accurate in their assessments of potential recruits' personalities or it would make life too easy. We need to spend huge sums of money on players who come in and destroy the squad dynamics, as happens in real life!

Interesting feature and relevant to real life football so I think it's a good addition.

However, I won't be pre-ordering as I don't have enough info on improvements to tactics, training and the match engine. Happy to wait until post-November 10, if necessary, as these are the parts of the game that really matter to me. I'll miss the discount, but that's fine.

8 minutes ago, Michael Zorc said:

Interesting feature and relevant to real life football so I think it's a good addition.

However, I won't be pre-ordering as I don't have enough info on improvements to tactics, training and the match engine. Happy to wait until post-November 10, if necessary, as these are the parts of the game that really matter to me. I'll miss the discount, but that's fine.

Oh, I won’t be pre-ordering. My experience with the happiness & interaction feature leads me to doubt SI’s ability to deliver an enjoyable, believable & largely bug free dynamic interactions feature on release.

I’ll now pass on the discount & pre-release beta in favour of waiting to try the free demo before making a decision on whether I get a FM18.

I've also made a decision. I will not be pre-ordering FM18. Indeed, I might well skip a version for the first time since FM14.

That's largely down to me still playing (and enjoying) long-term saves in FM13 and FM17, and also wanting to dedicate more time to other games.

Like Barside, I have my doubts about whether 'dynamics' will work as intended in FM18, and as others have said, there's not yet much information to go on regarding any improvements to the match engine. With a little over a month to go until the game is released, I find the latter quite disappointing.

Hopefully on FM 18 you won't just be able to players they're **** after every game (despite winning) and get a fantastic reaction every time like you could on FM 17 or the many occasions where if someone wants a new contract you can tell them that the club can't afford to and they'd just accept it as well as if someone was unhappy about the amount of game time they were getting, you could just tell them 'So and So is in the form of his life at the moment' and they suddenly be fine again.

This was one of the things that most bugged me about FM 17 and I really hope there's some massive improvements regarding player interactions and that after playing the game for a month I've not already worked out what you have to say when the same scenario comes up every time leading to the game becoming really very repetitive.

41 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I've also made a decision. I will not be pre-ordering FM18. Indeed, I might well skip a version for the first time since FM14.

That's largely down to me still playing (and enjoying) long-term saves in FM13 and FM17, and also wanting to dedicate more time to other games.

Like Barside, I have my doubts about whether 'dynamics' will work as intended in FM18, and as others have said, there's not yet much information to go on regarding any improvements to the match engine. With a little over a month to go until the game is released, I find the latter quite disappointing.

If the dynamics feature is as big as it seems, then it will probably take a couple of releases before it is honed, and I am with you and others on the match engine thing

Disappointed to see a visible bug in a feature video. I hope this is sorted before release.

Bug aside, i'm looking forward to the dynamics. Would be interesting to see "big clubs" such as Juventus and the amount of infuelential players/dynamics of their squad.

You can just tell AVB lost his job at Chelsea for messing around with the old guard which can clearly happen now to any of us managers!

The kid wasn't a bad presenter of FMTV but bring back Miles!!!!

Won't be ordering it until I see a massive update of tactics. 

The game is like a dinosaur in terms of tactics.

Where are things like pressing, counter pressing, mid pressing, 7 seconds...?

How about defending? Low block? 

Man to man marking or zonal marking or mixed of both for set pieces?

Football has moved forward in terms of tactics, but FM has not kept in pace.

I hope it's not another round of mere cosmetic changes. 

10 minutes ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

Guys guys guys, pre order it before tomo to get it for £28 if you have fm 17, get your loyalty bonuses in ! Then look forward to puttin hundreds of hours in to the game.

I’m not parting with a penny of my own money until I try the demo & decide that I will likely enjoy those hours.

As ever, it will come down to how well implemented it is.

I'm afraid they'll need to ramp up the injuries to real life levels as in FM17 you could comfortably run with a tight first team squad of 17 or 18 players rarely having more than 1 or 2 injuries.

If not then smaller squad equals fewer cliques and less aggro.

Can't help feeling its a step towards making FM less tactical and more about man management which I have reservations about.

Edited by Mr U Rosler

Just now, Mr U Rosler said:

As ever, it will come down to how well implemented it is.

I'm afraid they'll need to ramp up the injuries to real life levels as in FM17 you could comfortably run with a tight first team squad of 17 or 18 players rarely having more than 1 or 2 injuries.

If not then smaller squad equals fewer cliques and less aggro.

Can't help feeling its a step towards making FM less tactical and more about man management which I have reservations about.

I can't see the tactical side being reduced; the extra 'dynamic' side will make the game either more immersive or more bloated, depending on your point of view.

3 hours ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

Just pre ordered, i’m such a loyal fm’er!!! 

1 hour ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

Guys guys guys, pre order it before tomo to get it for £28 if you have fm 17, get your loyalty bonuses in ! Then look forward to puttin hundreds of hours in to the game.

It's very good to be loyal, I would really appreciate such person especially IRL that no matter what, he will remain loyal (friendship loyalty).

BUT, here we are talking about something different, here you are called loyal by "Buying" a game which supposed to give you something in-return.

While in the video you can already see a bug, or even if it's not a bug, it still doesn't make sense, I'm starting to ask questions about the game and how me as user going to play and enjoy the game after the demo?

Is it going to be another year when i will see myself encountering too many bugs which turns me off from the game and capturing the moments in order to send reports in the SI bug forums in order for them to improve the product? And after getting a reply I or other users will see the same comments such as "it's something we look to improve in the next releases".

Yes, the best way for the company to improve the product, is us providing feedbacks, but when providing examples, it's obviously not being ignored in the forums, which is good. but the problem is, those bugs appears again in the next year version

every game has flaws, I agree it's hard to fix everything it's way more complicated than what we the user sometimes or even most of the times ask.

but before implementing a new feature, the most important is to fix the most basic role in football.

Put aside the tactics and the TI's etc... flaws the game has.

This is the most basic example you can get, the Offsides in this game which supposed to be a the most basic role in football doesn't work properly in a game which supposed to stimulate real football, and it even becomes completely annoying when referee's doesn't let the players keep playing when there is an advantage (and no, I'm not talking about referee's mistakes which was the answer from the SI staff member when I provided one of my examples, because if it was referee's mistakes i would rate it 99% of the times for the referee to be mistakes in the game).

when a user picks a comprehensive highlight, I tend to believe that we don't want to see 2 minutes highlight just to watch my players being on offside over and over again, as an assumption and it could be wrong, if this is supposed to be a sign for the user that the player is getting caught on offside just because he is not in a correct role, or team mentality as a whole than, that's really bad and can be exploited but I care less about highlight modes.

It might be hard to implement a proper offside role in the ME, I'm not saying it's easy. But instead adding a feature which can make the game so bad with the amount of new problems it will add to the game (and i already posted an example of it in the Dynamics presentation video, you should've improved the offside role in the ME because this is way much better for the user experience and not only that, it's most importantly a basic role in football).

You are encouraging people to go and buy the game, but you need to understand, people aren't like you, they won't pre-order just because the franchise called football manager.

if you call me a personal who isn't loyal to the game, i could say the same about the SI company not being loyal to the customers till now with the 3 last FM editions I got.

people have more worth to the money they put hard work to get, not everyone have the privilege like you/others to buy games just for them to be called "loyal FMer" when there is nothing worth it in-return.

Maybe i was too harsh with this post, but that's my overall feelings.

Edited by MHovel

On 10/7/2017 at 16:15, Zek said:

They are still in there although rare as in real life I suppose. This just happened in my current save on FMT 16. The player in question was their central defender.

6ixv90.png

Edited by Arkim

A little bit bemused about everyone saying they won't be pre-ordering and everyone else patting them on the back for it...

If the match engine is your main focus, surely you'd never pre order, and always wait for the demo, irrespective of what any video ever said, because a playthrough is the only real way you can evaluate the match engine. 

Seems pretty standard to not pre order if that's your main focus of 

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

A little bit bemused about everyone saying they won't be pre-ordering and everyone else patting them on the back for it...

If the match engine is your main focus, surely you'd never pre order, and always wait for the demo, irrespective of what any video ever said, because a playthrough is the only real way you can evaluate the match engine. 

Seems pretty standard to not pre order if that's your main focus of 

I take myself as an example, and I assume there are plenly of users like me who pre-ordered previous versions)

I pre-ordered FM16 and FM17 you don't know what you are talking about, i was even streaming FM17 Demo early purchase (for FM16 i didn't had a proper system for streaming).

When I pre-ordered the games I expected to have a more improved ME. So, now you became a mind reader of every FM'er?

like most of your comment I read, you cannot be objective and I can understand that, because you are a forum moderator. But atleast don't talk in general terms when you obviously have no info on each of the users.

As a former mod myself I can confirm that TMS & all other mods can be an objective when it comes to FM.

That said I’m not sure the use of everyone is correct, there are a few who like me have decided to let the pre-order offer pass & commented as such in here but that’s hardly a large number based on the numbers posted in this thread & it should be pretty easy to understand why those who have made the same decision will post their agreement although in don’t see that much back patting going on.

Does anyone know if dynamics will be in Touch or is it just FM only? It was a bit crazy on FMT 17 that promises were included in the version. However, there was no screen to view the promises you've made. (like there was on the full FM). The old pen and paper had to come out, to stop me from upsetting the players. Looking forward to getting some Touch news and maybe a few screenshots.

I agree that the demo is the way to go if recent ME’s have left you underwhelmed as it’s the ME that invariably defines long term enjoyment, which, and drifting a little OT here, means the use of loyalty when some reference pre-order discounts is unfair & can draw annoyance from those who are playing the waiting game before making a purchasing decision.

I don't see any people patting me on the back, but rather, people agreeing with my point of view.

If the deal ends before the demo release or the game is released or the news of those features are not released, of course those people have to give up the deal and probably pay more latter. The same happens to me waiting for FM Editor news, since they are always released on the day and not before. I understand it is not priority for SI or selling point.

As for the video of the question. Like most features it has potential, but i'm on the fence if this another feature to add more work for a computer game. What i means is this would simply means even more way for the game to annoy you or is not quite fully implemented and will work fully as intended in future versions?  That is my fear with features like these.

Edit: As OldTimer as said is this dynamics thingy is for FMT as well? Or these videos are only for full fat FM?

Edited by grade

Dynamics seems a bit like social media when introduced for fm17: a nice add but a few weeks after no one cared about anymore. Still, I considered it - dynamics - an important part of the team's performance.

Wondering how this Dynamics new addition came to life ? or how the player groups were put together ? did the research teams participate on this ?