Causes of Multiplayer Crashes

GinoO

Hello,

I play in a 30 GM EHM league, and while its great fun, there are also some bugs that make managing and participating in the league quite annoying at time. Here are some of the common issues, roughly in order of their importance:

1) After the game crashes, it is time consuming to bring it back up because you have to login as every team. There's just a lot of clicking to do...way too much. This is a big pain in the butt.

2) If multiple GMs are scouting on the draft screen at the same time, then they'll start being sent to the wrong pages, and if they keep scouting the game will crash. This is a hassle especially around draft time.

3) People timing out. If someone loses their wifi connection for a minute or whatever, they get timed out and stuck in the game and can't login again. It prevents saving sometimes too.

4) Random crashes upon save attempt. Not sure what causes these, but sometimes the game will crash just as you are trying to save it.

5) We've had the game crash a couple times due to exhibition games being scheduled in the off season.

6) Offering too many tryouts in the summer. If you have a lot of prospects, and offer them all tryouts during the off season, then the game will crash if you try to visit your practice screen. Not sure the exact number but it seems to only impact teams with a lot of prospects.

Thanks for your hardwork. If these issues were fixed (especially #1/#2/#3/#4) it would vastly improve the multiplayer experience for EHM.

We have tons of save files I can share with you and remote access for the server so PM me if you need any of that. 

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I must say, it's quite disappointing that nothing has been replied to here. To anyone considering purchasing EHM, know it is a great game in many respects, but also that Sports Interactive has all but abandoned the game. If you think about it...those of us who play in an online league that requires daily participation should be the biggest supporters of the game. Hell...we actively recruit people to join. Yet we get no tech support, no response, nothing. It's just brutal. I get that soccer is more popular but if you are selling a product you should support it too.

Thanks

I've offered some suggestions as well (that went unanswered), but your list is spot on Gino.  EHM works for online leagues, but they hobble along.  I'm certain the community would do anything it could to help test and debug any potential fixes.  This game is too good to leave it in this state.  

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎23 at 19:54, GinoO said:

Hello,

I must say, it's quite disappointing that nothing has been replied to here. To anyone considering purchasing EHM, know it is a great game in many respects, but also that Sports Interactive has all but abandoned the game. If you think about it...those of us who play in an online league that requires daily participation should be the biggest supporters of the game. Hell...we actively recruit people to join. Yet we get no tech support, no response, nothing. It's just brutal. I get that soccer is more popular but if you are selling a product you should support it too.

Thanks

As one who has worked on rosters and testing since 2010, I'm happy the game isn't truly dead as it was the first five years I worked on it.....and everything that's happening is what would be said to be happening, so I'm not surprised and I don't understand why anyone else is (nor do I see the resurrection of a dead game and updates over years while maintaining a low price as anything close to "brutal")

While it's unfortunate, the reality is EHM is given limited development time and prioritizing occurs; online play is a very small part of the community by what I can tell be available numbers (looking at the number of online leagues advertised and the number of TBL members/number of roster downloads it seems online players are about 200 out of 20,000), so I can see why limited updates/improvements would focus on the 99%

15 hours ago, Nino-33 said:

While it's unfortunate, the reality is EHM is given limited development time and prioritizing occurs; online play is a very small part of the community by what I can tell be available numbers (looking at the number of online leagues advertised and the number of TBL members/number of roster downloads it seems online players are about 200 out of 20,000), so I can see why limited updates/improvements would focus on the 99%

I would argue this is because the online experience is abysmal compared to the SP experience.

6 hours ago, bstar said:

I would argue this is because the online experience is abysmal compared to the SP experience.

There was a survey held some years ago (around the 2005 version release if I remember correctly), where users where asked what part of the game was most important to them and the multiplayer part came in dead last.

On 10/28/2017 at 07:09, IvanIvanovich said:

There was a survey held some years ago (around the 2005 version release if I remember correctly), where users where asked what part of the game was most important to them and the multiplayer part came in dead last.

Even if that's true, if you are going to release a game with a MP component, at least make sure the features that exist work.  Many of the issues MP has are just embarrassing.  I challenge anyone to play in MP and not experience a crash within an hour.  I don't think that's a reasonable experience for paying customers.

It's not my intention to beat a dead horse here, but I think the paying customers deserve an experience that works as advertised.  I have over 1,500 hours in the Steam release, so I clearly love the game.  Either fix the current version or release something new that works.

1 hour ago, bstar said:

It's not my intention to beat a dead horse here, but I think the paying customers deserve an experience that works as advertised.  I have over 1,500 hours in the Steam release, so I clearly love the game.  Either fix the current version or release something new that works.

The resurrected game that Riz works on occasionally, that is clearly not a priority.....you think the limited time Riz has should be spent on the tiny minority? or you think a new game is possible! They just seem completely unrealistic views to me

FHM4 just dropped online play from their game altogether...given that quite clearly online play is not going to get the attention some like yourself would like it to get, would you prefer EHM do what FHM4 did?

I played online (EHM05, EHM07 and EHM1), and experienced some of the difficulties mentioned, but each time I quit it had absolutely nothing to do with the EHM issues

I never had some issues mentioned.....we always did the draft "offline" (via Skype or something similar) and then one person entered the draft, I never scheduled exhibitions during the offseason (why would you?), I never experienced the to many tryouts problem/I felt I was still able to invite more than enough players for a realistic training camp, and I rarely had an issue with timing out (I didn't leave myself on screens or flip back and forth between the game and other things, I'd log in and check my team and make any changes and log out; I also used screenshots when preparing for the draft)

I really do hope some of the online issues get some attention (especially the idea of making it easier to bring the game back up after a crash), but I would certainly understand if they didn't anytime soon

1500 hours (and still playing) for less than $20 is an extremely good deal for a paying customer IMO

On 10/28/2017 at 04:09, IvanIvanovich said:

This is a shame because the online game is much more fun, despite all the crashes and such.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff

The threads here do not go unnoticed even though they don't get posted in by SI staff. I'm pretty much working on the game alone these days again, but still working on it. Whilst I may not always respond to these threads, I will note them and add them to my to-do list to try and improve upon. Fixing multiplayer issues is a bit harder than other more generic game issues as normally reproducing the multiplayer issues requires setting up a number of clients to join a server running a debug version of the game etc. But I'll try and look at these issues as well in the near future.

• 4 months later...

Archived