psycho!

Have a highly effective BWM, only problem is his disciplinary record is terrible. 20 yellows and two reds in a championship season. He has high aggression a 'tendency to break the rules' and 'dives into tackles'. I've tried training to retrain him from the latter, but to no avail. I critisized his conduct, to which he said he'd look to improve, but at this point i think i may have to get rid. Too many suspensions and early subs due to him getting carded. 

Are there just some players that have this 'built in'? Is there anything you can do to curtail it?

The problem is that the bwm role has the tackle harder PI always selected, combined with his dirtiness that's a pretty obvious result. You could try a different role, for example cm/s, and just set his closing down to maximum. With his aggression/dirtiness/ppm he'll still pick up cards, but should be considerably less.

Agree with what kozmik said. I haven't tried a BWM at all in FM17 because of the reasons you listed. I tend to run a CM which you can pretty much customize into anything you want.  It could be worth setting him to ease off tackles in your player instructions on the tactics screen if you haven't already. It doesn't stop them from tackling completely, just tones it down a great deal which could be of benefit to your player.

The BWM is one of my favourite roles and I tend to use one a lot.  However it can be quite dependant on the type of player you use in the role.

I like my BWMs to have high levels of Aggression (to compliment the aggressive nature of the role); great Tackling (mis-timing tackles will lead to trouble); and good Mental attributes (such as Determination, Work Rate, Decisions, Positioning).  What are complete no-nos for me are players who dive into tackles and/or dirty players ("likes to bend the rules").  As the OP has a player with both of those "bad" traits, I'd get rid and replace asap.

My BWMs get only a few yellow cards (perhaps just one or two single match bans per season for yellow cards) and I can't remember the last time I had one sent off.

Also be aware of tactical settings.  The BWM is an aggressive role - increasing that aggression via tactical settings such as harder tackling, more closing down and so on may cause issues, especially if you have a less than ideal player in the role.

Archived