How important is language?

Theoretically. Although I've yet to notice any major ill effects. Although I'm sure him speaking the same language helps.

There is a side effect to the languages thing. If I'm managing in England and, for example, I'm Spanish and only speak Spanish, and have a squad entirely full of Spanish speaking players and Spanish speaking coaches, we still all end up learning English and don't gel as well until we have. Which makes no sense to me.

It is in fact very important. I've had many players complain that they can't communicate well with the manager and ask for transfers because I spoke only german and was managing Inter Milan. Since then, this is what I do: I take a Swiss/Cameroonian nationality. That gives me at least four languages...English-French (Cameroon) German-Italian (Swiss). Believe me, it works.

It is in fact very important. I've had many players complain that they can't communicate well with the manager and ask for transfers because I spoke only german and was managing Inter Milan. Since then, this is what I do: I take a Swiss/Cameroonian nationality. That gives me at least four languages...English-French (Cameroon) German-Italian (Swiss). Believe me, it works.

Very clever.

The only bit I saw lanuage being important is personal tutor between players....

While managing Colchester United, I have a young winger from Romania and want him to learn from my first team winger (Alex from Brazil), the first time wasnt great... After another 6 months, this young Romanian start packing up English and I try the tutor option again and this time it went perfectly.

Languages should play a major role witihn the game.

With coaches and players but specially with a manager giving instructions to his players.

For example, if an English manager goes and manages in Germany, irl the ,manager would struggle initially to give instructions. An assistant that could speak both tounges should then be used!

If Poyet and Ramos is working for us...I hate to see what happens when it doesnt then....LOL

...... and just 4 and a half hours after your post time you get to find out ;) Harry should turn things around though.

Thanks for all the replies anyway everyone, language is something to consider for sure. WAsn't sure how much it affected and i'm glad i'm not the only one thinking about it.

Yes, in fact sometimes your Ass Man recommends bringing another player from the same country in to help the first one settle. Works very well indeed for me.

Does it have to be a first team player to help him settle in? Or could you just sign a cheap or free youngster to help him settle in, put him in youth team until the othe player is settled and then offload the youngster?

Archived