How do I get the build my team around the regista?

I would like to know what those people who have a formation with a regista have built their team, and whether he is just another player in the team or if he is the player/position that the tactic has been created around. I have not used the Regista position much, if at all in my previous tactics but, I like the idea of a Pirlo-esq type player pinging balls from deep and spreading the play. 

I am looking for help with everything, from best formation, pairings with others in midfield, strikers and wingers. 

Thanks!  

Interesting - been talking about a new tactic with @jc577 exploiting direct vertical football.

I've recommended a Regista in his particular setup to act as a quarterback. It can be achieved, in my opinion.

• We'll be starting off with a highly structured approach
  • Double pivot infront of a back 4, one of which a simple DM or Anchor the other a Regista.
  • Slightly deeper line
  • Higher tempo
  • Back 4 and DM set to shorter, less risky passing.
  • Regista set to more direct, riskier passing.
  • A BBM infront, with 3 strikers (DLF and 2 Shadow Strikers) trying to encourage forward runs and reasonable space ahead of the Regista.
  • Probably starting with a Standard mentality

The aim using the structured approach is to have a deep defence focussing their passing to the Regista. There will then be plenty of space ahead of him, with runners to pick out with his direct risky passing.

If we used a DLP, RPM or AP higher up the pitch I think it would be easier for the AI to set a marker on them. Regista ought to have time and space to pick out the pass.

Not sure when JC will start using the tactic but no doubt he will be happy to share if it works or not, or the tweaks needed.

It's not intended to be a possession based style at all ... it's supposed to be direct incisive football.

That's what I'm doing at the moment, been frustated with the result so far ( at least for the last 2 days ). Same as me, I really enjoyed Pirlo show, especially in Italy NT for the last few years ( well you know the opinion of AC Milan fan for him ). Moreover, my favorite team always try to play with Regista in the last few years, unfortunately we don't have someone capable enough to do the job. Montolivo, Locatelli, Jose Sosa all technically capable in this role but was not good enough to lived up the expectations, that's why Lucas Biglia brought to the club. 

I tried 3331 formation, with 3 atb, 1 Regista, 2 Inverted Wingback to support midfield, 3 AM ready to launch direct run, and DLF to create space. The Regista played good, creating many long passes direct to the opponent final third, and he completed many of his passes that was key to our play. But the match results seems don't agree, as we lost more than we won. We also sloppy at the counter and that's not a big surprise. So, I decided to change shape with 433 DM, with 4atb, 1 Regista, 1 CM + 1 BBM, 2 IF, and 1 DLF. The results also no better. I'm trying to figure it out on my next save, as I did this experiment in my current save (Sporting CP) and maybe the players don't really suits this style of play, or I'm just looking for a better player for the regista role in the next window. William Carvalho did good, offers solidity, but he is not that creative. Ryan Gauld was really good and offer just as I want in the creative outlet, but defensive-wise, he is really weak physically and often got outstrenght.

I'm really hoping there's discussion regarding this thread. 

Edited by tinkerer

I wouldn't use both IF's and IWB together with a Regista. The Regista needs runners on the flanks to pass into and the IWB will even just occupy the space besides him, and compete with his job to spray passes from the back.

Also, I would a BWM in front of him as he'll have very few defensive responsibilities, especially for someone in the DM strata, so he needs to workhorse in front of him who defends for two.

Edited by Kick Wilstra

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2017 at 12:59, Vali184 said:

What roles should the modfielders in front of the regista have?

A starting point would probably be a defend duty midfielder, more likely a CM/D. The other one can be anything, I'd presume you'd want to avoid other playmaking roles though, so you could have say, a Ball winner, an attacking central midfielder, or even a box to box midfielder, or potential a CM/S. All depends on what options you have on the flanks and ahead as well though, try and think of the full team rather than the individual components. 

In one of my saves I had some success with a 3-3-2-2 formation. I actually used a RPM as my DMC instead of a Regista due to my player's athletic abilities. However he had PPM's such as 'switch ball to other flank' and 'plays long passes' so his style of play was not too dissimilar to Pirlo. 

IIRC correctly my set-up was:

-----------------GK(d)--------------

-----DC(s)----DC(c)----DC(s)---

WB(a)--------RPM(s)------WB(s)

----------MC(s)------MC(a)------

-----------F9(s)-------DLF(a)----

This was played on structured so the wing back and midfielder with attack duties created lots of space for my RPM to operate in and options for him to look for with direct passing. 

Now I played this with a high D-line and closing down PI's for my front 4 and wing backs as I find back 3 systems don't get enough possession for my liking. However, with a Regista instead of (what I think was Yaya Toure's regen) an athletic RPM, playing deep with direct incisive passing could work well. 

I'm using a 4123 DM Wide tactic with inside forwards on the flank. I am playing with nottingham forest and i am almost all the way through the 3rd season. I got knocked out of euro cup in 2nd knock-out round. I got Carlos Soler because I'm aiming to buy young players with potential and develop them. He's quite good as he is right now, but my scouts say that he'll develop more. I got Cristian Pavon as an IF on the left flank and he's a beast, dribbling through defenders like Messi(they're both argentinians btw :) ). On the right flank I got Kuki, i retrained him to AMR position, great stats for IF role, weaker foot is strong so he can cross too. Now the thing is I bought Marco Asensio, he's one of the best players in the squad and I don't know where to play him. He's a natural advanced playmaker, but his workrate, teamwork, tackling, marking are low, first two 10, last two 6 :(. He got high technique and dribbling, but low strength and gets massacred by the opposition. As a AP he's sitting deep so is a big nono playing him alongside the regista. I'm thinking that it wasn't a smart decision to buy him, he cost me 22m pounds. 

@isignedupfornorealreason shouldn't the players in front of the regista start early runs?  Why should I use a defense role? I'm not contesting your knowledge, I just want to learn more.

I'd really like to develop this 4123dm wide as I used a similar formation on fm2015 and I absolutely loved the style. I also like the idea of a player sitting deep and spraying passes in the space to split defences apart.

4 minutes ago, Vali184 said:

I'd really like to develop this 4123dm wide as I used a similar formation on fm2015 and I absolutely loved the style. I also like the idea of a player sitting deep and spraying passes in the space to split defences apart.

What really helps is having a player with the right PPM's in the DM position as your 'quarterback' - mainly 'Tries Long Range Passes', 'Likes to Switch Balls to other Flank', and 'Tries Killer Balls Often'. If the player used in this role hasn't got great defensive attributes, you need the two CM's in front of him to do all the running and protect him (similar to how Vidal and Pogba did for Pirlo at Juve). 

I trained Carlos Soler to switch balls to other flank, to try long range passes and now he's learning to try killer balls often and is making very good progress. Also, he's solid defensively with excellent tackling, marking, positioning, workrate. Maybe he needs to be a little bit more aggresive, but I'm pleased with how he's doing defensively. He's still developing though.

Any advice on how to use Asensio? I have no place for him on the flanks though... How would he fare as a CM(a) alongside a CM(d)?

I'll be home in 25min and I'll post pics with my players. Also, what instructions would work best? I think I have like 5 or 6 including roam from position, play from defense, work ball into box, close down more.

36 minutes ago, Vali184 said:

I trained Carlos Soler to switch balls to other flank, to try long range passes and now he's learning to try killer balls often and is making very good progress. Also, he's solid defensively with excellent tackling, marking, positioning, workrate. Maybe he needs to be a little bit more aggresive, but I'm pleased with how he's doing defensively. He's still developing though.

Any advice on how to use Asensio? I have no place for him on the flanks though... How would he fare as a CM(a) alongside a CM(d)?

I'll be home in 25min and I'll post pics with my players. Also, what instructions would work best? I think I have like 5 or 6 including roam from position, play from defense, work ball into box, close down more.

Sounds good, personally I like my DLP's to have good defensive attributes too. 

I'm sure how that combination would work to be honest, best to try it out and see. I wouldn't play him CM to be perfectly honest as he doesn't have the attributes for it (lacks aggression, tackling, workrate etc.) - control of the midfield is vital for any tactic so you need to ensure you've got the right players in there. 

I would remove play out of defence as this shortens the passing range for your DLP (news to me but i'm reliably informed). In which case I'd ask your whole back four to play shorter passes so you feed your QB. Can't really advise on the rest of the instructions until i get a vibe of the tactic :thup:

This is the tactic that I have in mind. Like your advice, I chose to instruct the back 4 and CM(d) to play short passes. The triangle in the midfield is instructed to close down more and the regista and cm(d) to mark tighter. Of course, the regista is instructed to play more direct, risky passes. Now to the inside forwards... I instructed them to close down much more, and get further forward and roam from position when we have possession so they'll get away from the herd and find space so maybe the dlp will find them with a long range pass. Maybe I'll even instruct them to stay wider. As a lone striker I chose a Complete Forward(S) as I don't know yet what role might work better so the CF does it all.

All in all, we want to retain the possession and dribble less so we will keep possession in the midfield, work ball into box so we won't waste many shots and I guess this instruction will keep recycling possession through my deeper players, and pass into space when the time is right. We will also mark tighter in order to regain possession fast.  

This is my thinking behind this tactic. I have only 5 matches to play this season, including a FA Cup Final against Liverpool, but I'll test the tactic in the next preseason. I'll post here updates. 

599e094376698_NottinghamForest_Overview-3.thumb.png.01acbe75ae635b96657343a5ede9d8cf.png

Here you can see the starting 11 that I have in mind, maybe there'll be slight changes to it. Now bare in mind I am nowhere close to a world class squad, but I'm trying to improve in the long term. The media predicted that I'll finish 20th this season and I'm sitting in the 9th place with 52 points and 4 matches to go, 6 points behind Chelsea who's on the 6th place. My objective is to finish in the top half and I intend to do so.

More updates will follow.

Edited by Vali184

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 09:41, westy8chimp said:

Interesting - been talking about a new tactic with @jc577 exploiting direct vertical football.

I've recommended a Regista in his particular setup to act as a quarterback. It can be achieved, in my opinion.

• Double pivot infront of a back 4, one of which a simple DM or Anchor the other a Regista.
  • Slightly deeper line
  • Higher tempo
  • A BBM infront, with 3 strikers (DLF and 2 Shadow Strikers) trying to encourage forward runs and reasonable space ahead of the Regista.

The aim using the structured approach is to have a deep defence focussing their passing to the Regista. There will then be plenty of space ahead of him, with runners to pick out with his direct risky passing.

If we used a DLP, RPM or AP higher up the pitch I think it would be easier for the AI to set a marker on them. Regista ought to have time and space to pick out the pass.

Not sure when JC will start using the tactic but no doubt he will be happy to share if it works or not, or the tweaks needed.

It's not intended to be a possession based style at all ... it's supposed to be direct incisive football.

Really interested in this idea. In FM16 I tried & failed to implement a defensively solid, deep sitting tactic that aggressively got the ball from the playmaker to 2 quick players in the AM strata & a DLF/TM with a runner coming from the midfield. I initially went for a DLP & then later an RPM, we had the odd good result that gave me some hope but achieved no consistency & ultimately struggled.

I had a slightly different set up in mind but with similar principles, I'll try & get something created over the weekend. Would love to know how you get on.

Edited by Old No7

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 00:10, Vali184 said:

This is the tactic that I have in mind. Like your advice, I chose to instruct the back 4 and CM(d) to play short passes. The triangle in the midfield is instructed to close down more and the regista and cm(d) to mark tighter. Of course, the regista is instructed to play more direct, risky passes. Now to the inside forwards... I instructed them to close down much more, and get further forward and roam from position when we have possession so they'll get away from the herd and find space so maybe the dlp will find them with a long range pass. Maybe I'll even instruct them to stay wider. As a lone striker I chose a Complete Forward(S) as I don't know yet what role might work better so the CF does it all.

All in all, we want to retain the possession and dribble less so we will keep possession in the midfield, work ball into box so we won't waste many shots and I guess this instruction will keep recycling possession through my deeper players, and pass into space when the time is right. We will also mark tighter in order to regain possession fast.  

This is my thinking behind this tactic. I have only 5 matches to play this season, including a FA Cup Final against Liverpool, but I'll test the tactic in the next preseason. I'll post here updates. 

599e094376698_NottinghamForest_Overview-3.thumb.png.01acbe75ae635b96657343a5ede9d8cf.png

Here you can see the starting 11 that I have in mind, maybe there'll be slight changes to it. Now bare in mind I am nowhere close to a world class squad, but I'm trying to improve in the long term. The media predicted that I'll finish 20th this season and I'm sitting in the 9th place with 52 points and 4 matches to go, 6 points behind Chelsea who's on the 6th place. My objective is to finish in the top half and I intend to do so.

Won't the retain possession & work ball into box TI's conflict with your principle of the regista attempting more direct & risky passes?

On 24/08/2017 at 00:10, Vali184 said:

To accomodate Asensio and a regista i think youre going strikerless! 

Asensio is an amc all day long but no goal machine. Not ideal to have him as 2nd playmaker role either.

Regista i feel needs 2 directly in front and wide runners.

Id setup with if a on either side of amc s.

It may bee too much of a novelty and reduction in goal threat just to see regista "running" the midfield. Or some sort of crazy 31411. Without the conditions of Asensio and regista id move Asensio on to get best of regista.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm back with some updates. Sorry for not posting for so long but I had some personal problems.

Anyway, I experimented with the tactic but still I am not pleased with how we play in opposition's third. May be my striker or not...

I am in January and after 22 matches I sit in 3rd position. I must qualify for CL or I will lose Asensio, Pavon and Lemos because they want to play in CL. By the way, I'm currently retraining Asensio as a right Inside Forward and the guy has been superb, you can see the pic below, 10 goals and 4 assists in 14 Premier League games. I'm rotating him with Kuki. 

I used to play a CM(d) in MCL position but changed to a BBM because the regista and cm(d) stayed really close to each other.

My striker is not scoring as much as I'd like... but the good thing is the attacking midfielder compensates for it. Lewis Cook scored 8 goals in 13 matches as an CM(a)(he's still learning the coresponding PPM's for an attacking minded midfielder, now he's learning to stop coming deep to get the ball) while my striker scored 10 in 20... I still have no idea what role to give him, for the time I use him as a DLF(a). I'd really like if my striker scored more instead of the midfielder.

You can see what TI's I'm using in the screenshot with the tactic, but sometimes I also tick pass into space and roam from position. I have no idea if I should use tighter marking TI or what it does or in what situations to use it, I dont see any difference when I watch the games(on comprehensive 90% of time). I'm still a noob when it comes to tactics.

I'm waiting for suggestions from more experienced players. I say we're doing pretty good right now, we are predicted to finish 12th in the league but we're 3rd. Of course, I'm pretty sure that soon we will face teams that park the bus and I have a problem with breaking down a very defensive side.

ps: I really hate playing against Mourinho's 4411...

I'll post again an update when we're in march/april. Until next time.

Marco Asensio_ Overview Profile.png

Nottingham Forest_  Senior Fixtures-2.png

Nottingham Forest_  Senior Fixtures-3.png

Nottingham Forest_  Competitions.png

Nottingham Forest_  Overview-6.png

Edited by Vali184

38 minutes ago, jc577 said:

@Vali184 How is your regista performing; is it as you expected? Is he starting moves/contributing any assists?

He only got 1 assist in the league but starts a lot of moves and helps keeping possession in the middle. He's like a metronome, makes a lot of one touch passes and finds easily the wide players in good positions with space ahead. Keep in mind that I don't have the best regista and he's still developing. As ppm's he got 'tries long range passes' and 'likes to switch ball to the other flank'. Now he's learning 'tries killer balls often' and I'm very curious how he'll perform after he learns it. I plan to teach him to dictate tempo too.

I created another tactic with a 'false regista' in CM position which is a CM on support with PI's like a regista. He's a more advanced player so I think that would get him more assists but I played 2-3 matches only with it. In DM position I put a classic defensive midfielder.

Ruben Neves and Atakan Akkaynak will develop into world class registas.

Assists locations. Pavon is a natural right footed inside forward with traits suited for this role but I play him as a winger with an attack duty because he's passing/crossing the ball much often in the final third. Before changing to W(a) I played him as an IF and he wasted so many chances instead of passing short to an unmarked player.

Nottingham Forest_ Analysis Goals.png

• 2 years later...
On 08/08/2017 at 11:41, westy8chimp said:

• Slightly deeper line
  • Higher tempo

Using this system right now and its works wonderful. Both flanks on very attacking duty cuz Regista need Structured team shape.

442.jpg

vs lyon

anal.jpg

verratti creates magic

pass-map.jpg

I have used a DLP with direct passing instructions in the previous match engines and thought it was an exploit because of his "tomahawk" passes.  I struggled to keep the tactic though because I got either tired to permanent tweak it depending on opposition / was too loyal to some players and this limited my options / don't have a broad tactical knowledge.

But definetely going to implement it in my new Hertha Berlin save with a squad ready to be overhauled and certain Arne Mayer ready to go next level  :)

20-147953-arne-maier.thumb.jpg.6eb6939e40e24d2563af58b154ce1d53.jpg

Edit: What do you think about changing the DM to a VOL(s) and the LW as W(s/a)?

Edited by klaasjan
suggestion

On 26/02/2020 at 17:16, spacewe said:

442.jpg

How does this setup work in defence? Can you protect the flanks well enough? Have you tried changing the DM(D) to a Half-Back, since both your FB's are on attack? Would create a  back three on offense, and let Verratti have all the central to himself.

I played a RGA back in 17 with Bremen and used him to create dual-and triple-threats.

Next to my DMC Regista was an MCL as DLPd and an attacking leftback (I had an FBa as Augustinsson lived this role but after his departure switched to CWBs before abandoning that save). This created some massive overlaps on the left as RGA and DLP controlled the game and made room for the overlapping fullback as well the opposite flank. 

With the right PPMs this also created a pretty unique dynamic: The RGA was personally incentivised to play long and quick to the front but role and structure also made him more likely to play short to the DLP. This player also had quite a few options: Sending the running fullback (whose one-two also helped in this regard), playing back to the RGA, or switching the ball to the other flank while the opponent presses my possession-heavy left. 

I used a regista as part of a 4132 that played high up the pitch and had a high line of engagement. There are quite a few systems it can do well in. I think in my Darkside 4222 system I could swap out a SV with a Regista and it wouldn't affect the tactic negatively. The regista is a fine role that can be used in a variety of ways. I almost always use them when I want to create the Box formation

My Regista (Kovacic) won World Player of the Year in my first year. Beating Messi and Ronaldo.

I'll post my tactic later as I'm at work. It's nothing groundbreaking. I'm only 3rd in the league (first year @ Chelsea.) but it certainly makes good use of the Regista. Just behind KDB in terms of key passes.

The only modifications to the database, is I disabled all starting injuries.

• 5 weeks later...

@Rashidi Ive been watching a few of your videos on youtube. Learnt alot so thank you. Im still struggling for consistency with a Regista tactic though. I have a 4-1-2-2-1 (4-3-3) formation at the moment playing an aggressive high block with a positive/attacking mentality.

I'm not scoring much though. My regista (Pogba/tonali) is playing well and my two other midfielders are doing there part protecting him with carr/bwm(S) roles, my striker just isnt scoring or creating, to be honest he isnt doing much at all. I have tried an F9 and dlf on both duties to no avail, hes jus very passive in games. 

I've tried using a narrower attack to bring my IF/IW closer to him. He scored 1 goal against inferior opponents and other than 2 penalties thats it in 15 games, no assists no key passes, nothing. Im just not seeing where my issue is, I wouldn't be bothered if he was creating or providing goals for my wide attackers but he isnt. Any advice?

Also can I ask your thoughs on the Raumdeuter, the role intrigues me and I admit I have tried it i my system, with the idea that my Reg sees him hanging out in space and pings balls to him, but it hasnt really worked out like that. But i think thats maybe because im pushed so high up the pitch anyway theres no space to "investigate".

Your box formation looks good fun though, if only i had more wbs lmao.

On 09/03/2020 at 15:39, ChelseaFan said:

My Regista (Kovacic) won World Player of the Year in my first year. Beating Messi and Ronaldo.

I'll post my tactic later as I'm at work. It's nothing groundbreaking. I'm only 3rd in the league (first year @ Chelsea.) but it certainly makes good use of the Regista. Just behind KDB in terms of key passes.

The only modifications to the database, is I disabled all starting injuries.

Did you come back from work?