Crucial Attributes for Head of Youth Development

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, leviathan1904 said:

@sebwassell Is there any impact of reputation? Staff members have star rating, but I dont really get why it could be important to sign a 4-star instead of a 2 or 3-star.

I'd much rather have a coach/HoYD/whoever with solid coaching stats, personality and a 1 star rep than a 5 star rep coach who's a bit pants at coaching and a naff personality.

Ideally I'd have everything of course, but that doesn't always work out.  Ability makes for a good coach, not reputation.

34 minutes ago, leviathan1904 said:

Totally agree. I am just wondering what the benefit of high staff reputation is in comparsion to their related high wage demands. Maybe the reputation of my club increases a little bit? And therefore: the better my club reputation the better my youth intake?

club reputation have an effect on youth intake, but it's so little that you should rather concentrate on youth facilities and youth coaching. These two have biggest impact on newgens.

9 hours ago, leviathan1904 said:

Totally agree. I am just wondering what the benefit of high staff reputation is in comparsion to their related high wage demands. Maybe the reputation of my club increases a little bit? And therefore: the better my club reputation the better my youth intake?

I actually prefer lower reputation staff because as you mentioned they come cheaper and are less likely to be poached. The only negative, as far as I can tell, is the player promise where a player demands you hire better staff. I did this once, and held up my end of the bargain by improving coach quality, but failed anyway. I was told it was because the player did not see an improvement in staff reputation, as he apparently didn't judge actual attribute ability. Not sure if that's still the case if it ever was, and it's a bit silly if so. I suppose there is an argument to be made it's realistic a player would want bigger names, but they should also notice the improvement in quality in training and not just see reputation like we do from the outside, and the promise was pretty unclear if that really was the issue.

• SI Staff

Rather than reputation having a direct impact itself, think of it this way: the better you are at your job, the better your reputation will be. You would expect staff (and players) with a larger reputation to have higher ability.

2 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

Rather than reputation having a direct impact itself, think of it this way: the better you are at your job, the better your reputation will be. You would expect staff (and players) with a larger reputation to have higher ability.

Eh, I wouldn't necessarily expect that when the attributes are visible and I very regularly find a lot of hidden gems. Are you saying that a higher reputation rating directly impacts quality of training somehow? If I find a 20 physio with .5* reputation why would I ever choose the 3.5* reputation physio with 17 as his attribute rating?

• SI Staff
6 minutes ago, Weston said:

Are you saying that a higher reputation rating directly impacts quality of training somehow?

Not at all. But a better coach would be expected, on average, to have a higher reputation. In reality, who are the highest rep coaches: the ones that are the best at it.

7 minutes ago, Weston said:

If I find a 20 physio with .5* reputation why would I ever choose the 3.5* reputation physio with 17 as his attribute rating?

Because ability isn't the only thing that contributes towards reputation. Even the best coach is going to find it difficult to raise his reputation beyond a certain level if he's working at League 2 level.

Reputation, exactly like reality, is how well known you are. Being good at your job, at the highest level, is the quickest way to garner a big reputation. Worth noting that reputation sometimes hangs around a bit longer than ability, which is evident in quite a few real players that you might consider to be "past it" but seemingly keep getting another chance.

Just now, Seb Wassell said:

Not at all. But a better coach would be expected, on average, to have a higher reputation. In reality, who are the highest rep coaches: the ones that are the best at it.

Because ability isn't the only thing that contributes towards reputation. Even the best coach is going to find it difficult to raise his reputation beyond a certain level if he's working at League 2 level.

Reputation, exactly like reality, is how well known you are. Being good at your job, at the highest level, is the quickest way to garner a big reputation. Worth noting that reputation sometimes hangs around a bit longer than ability, which is evident in quite a few real players that you might consider to be "past it" but seemingly keep getting another chance.

Right, so why ever pay attention to reputation, unless once you've found 3 physios with 20 attribute ratings, using it to guess which one might be the cheapest to hire based on having the lowest reputation? I guess my point is that it's not a metric I'd ever really seek out or view as consequential unless some horrible player interaction has got me paranoid about it.

On 20/08/2019 at 23:20, enigmatic said:

The short answer is "it depends"

The longer answer is - Determination/Adaptability/Personality/Media Handling affects your newgens' starting personalities a bit (but so do your other coaches, and lots of other things).

The personality of your coaching staff affects your newgen personalities? That's the first I've heard about it. The only member of staff I bother looking at their personality is the HOYD.

31 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

The personality of your coaching staff affects your newgen personalities? That's the first I've heard about it. The only member of staff I bother looking at their personality is the HOYD.

Other staff can, but the HoYD has by far the largest impact (double that of anyone else).

• 1 month later...
On 23/08/2019 at 16:10, Seb Wassell said:

This thread has been eye opening indeed so thanks to all.

Seb, you guys have to make a video and talk about these stuff. It is really interesting. Not only from learning the game point of view, but it is interesting that you guys do a very nice job to represent the real world system into this game. It would be nice to know how you discuss things, decide on what affects what and get to a final conclusion :) . 

When you search for the role of HoYD it highlights Working with Youngsters, Judging Current Ability and Judging Potential Ability. Nothing else... so I'm inclined to believe when it comes to improving your youth intake those are the only things that matter. Since he doubles up as a coach then it's not a bad idea to have good all round coaching stats either I guess.

On 13/04/2017 at 13:59, Alfie103 said:

Hello everyone,

Have started a new game as Tottenham and want to sign the best Head of Youth Development possible but I am not sure what the crucial things I should be looking for are.

I have read that Personality, playing style and mentality and high 'managing youngsters' and 'judging youth potential' attributes are important but I am not sure what are the most important things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i'm sure one of the most important things is their reputation and how good they were as a player? so for instance if you had john terry as head of youth he'd bring in a lot of good centre halfs? can anyone back this up?

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, MagicHat said:

i'm sure one of the most important things is their reputation and how good they were as a player? so for instance if you had john terry as head of youth he'd bring in a lot of good centre halfs? can anyone back this up?

Whilst a person's profile as a player will influence their profile as a non-player (staff member), there is no direct link in the way that you describe. John Terry will not necessarily bring through DCs.

In my opinion HOYD need to have a very good personality like "model citizen" (the must have) and.....a good rate in "work with young" (in my french game it's "travail avec les jeunes"), and determination.

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, Grifty said:

Just managed to pick up this guy

956605984_Screenshot2020-05-08at14_46_55.thumb.png.f557cc4a1fbd199aa93864a3625a0454.png

Great coach, don't like his personality that much though

Judging stats would make him a good scout too

Edited by Brother Ben

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, AceCream said:

After reading through this thread I assume that these 2 HOYD's would be the optimal choices. Is that correct?

Kind of depends what you want. If you're playing a top team, sure. If you're climbing up the ranks slowly but surely, you might want one that imprints loyalty a bit more, so that if you do happen to get Premier level talent in your second division youth pool, he's not going to instantly bolt out the door the moment an offer arrives. Just have to convince them that they're in a great social group at your club, and they carry on happily playing, usually at a very low price tag for the quality. Takes a little longer for them to develop, but you could easily have a contending team by the time you reach the premier at a fraction of the cost.

• 1 year later...
On 19/06/2020 at 10:10, AceCream said:

After reading through this thread I assume that these 2 HOYD's would be the optimal choices. Is that correct?

galli.PNG

hoyd.PNG

Yes. If you play 4-4-2 they are magnificent. Galli will assist better in training.

Edited by Sharkn20

• 1 year later...