Taking better advantage from my forward

I've manage to create a solid tactic, that i'm pretty happy with. 

Already played various saves with this tactic, and i was able to win both domestic and international trophies. But one thing i would like to improve, and that is the performance from my forward.

Usually, in every save, the players in my team with the worst average rating are my forwards and the scoring rate is very low. Playing with Benfica (first season)  i have Mitroglou with 11 goals in 33 apperances and Jonas with only 3 goals in 13 apperances.

In comparison, i have Rafa Silva (playing as IF) with 13 goals in 35 apperances, Pizzi (playing as MC) with 10 goals in 40 apperances and Zivkovic with 7 goals in 31 apperances, to name my others top goalscorers.

The tactic is a 4123 with DM, with this setup:

DLF(a)

IF(s)                                          w(s)

AP(s)                CM(a)

DM(d)

WB(a)      CD(d)      CD(d)       FB(a)

SK(d)

Standard mentality, with fluid team shape.

TI's: D-Line slightly higher, More Closing Down, Shorter Passing, Play out of defense, Exploit both flanks

As for PI's, i use:

SK(d): tackle harder

WB(a): stay wider

FB(a): stay wider

CD(d): mark tighter

DM(d): mark tighter

AP(s): none

CM(a): shoot less often, more risky passes

IF(s): none

W(s): none

DLF(a): none

I choose the DLF(a) role because of two reason:

1) i wanted a player with attack duty, because both my wide players were playing with support duty. I think if i choose a support role for my forward i would lack presence in the box

2) i wanted a player that could link with the midfield, and open some space for the forward runs from my CM(a), IF(s) and W(s)

But for some reason, and despite the tactic is working well, i feel that the forward is not contributing as much as it should. 

So, i ask for your help. What am i doing wrong? Is the DLF(s) a bad option for this tactic? Should i go with another role?

From what you've written it seems like you have goals coming from all areas of the pitch, which is something I love to see in my teams. As far as your strikers not scoring enough, 11 in 33 isn't terrible (especially given its Mitroglou who isn't exactly a world beater). However if you really want a tactic where the striker gets the majority of the goals then you have to play to the strengths of the striker. Isn't mitroglou quite good in the air? You might consider floating crosses, adding cross from deep and telling your IF and winger to both shoot less often in the hope they can supply your striker more, but it doesn't seem like you have too much of an issue if your team is scoring enough anyway.

Thks for the reply,

My issue is more related with the average rating my forwards are getting, and not so much about the goals they are scoring.

Like you, i like that my team scores from all areas, so i don't have any problems if my forwards are not the best scorer in the team.

The thing is, if my forwards are consistently the players with the lowers average rating, then this tells me that, in addition to not scoring, they are playing poorly.

I don't evaluate my forwards play for the goals they score. Passing, assist, shooting, all that it's important.

I don't know how the average rating system works, but i don't think that for a forward to get a 7+ rating in a game he needs to score.

Because i think other things, apart from goals, contribute to the forward rating, and because they are always getting the lowest rating in my games, i assume that they playing bad, and theres room for improvement in the tactic.

20 minutes ago, Keyzer Soze said:

Thks for the reply,

My issue is more related with the average rating my forwards are getting, and not so much about the goals they are scoring.

Like you, i like that my team scores from all areas, so i don't have any problems if my forwards are not the best scorer in the team.

The thing is, if my forwards are consistently the players with the lowers average rating, then this tells me that, in addition to not scoring, they are playing poorly.

I don't evaluate my forwards play for the goals they score. Passing, assist, shooting, all that it's important.

I don't know how the average rating system works, but i don't think that for a forward to get a 7+ rating in a game he needs to score.

Because i think other things, apart from goals, contribute to the forward rating, and because they are always getting the lowest rating in my games, i assume that they playing bad, and theres room for improvement in the tactic.

As far as the ratings for forwards go, what I've observed is that if you play a poacher or AF and they don't get a goal then yes they usually get poor ratings. It's probably also affected by the number of shots on target they're having, note number of sot not %, I find that a player will get a lower rating as a striker having 2/2 shots on target than they would if they had 4/8 for example. 

Only thing I would suggest is play around with roles and duties, maybe try your IF and winger on attack with your striker on a support duty. Ultimately you want to create more chances so you should focus on that and not be thinking that your striker is on support so he won't score as much as an attack duty. I used lukaku as dlf on support at arsenal and he got 35+ goals in both seasons. 

Hope you manage to find something that works, as low striker ratings are definitely one of the most frustrating things to see.

I would change the DLF-A to a support duty as either DLF-S or CF-S. And then bump the Inside Forward to attack, and the Wing Back to support. That's just my personal preference and would be very close to my 4-3-3 that I use. I find it gives extreme balance in attack and defense, and with a good striker they will still be your top scorer.

Mitroglou is not perfect but I think he could do well in this role. Offers the hold-up play and the finishing, and a little bit of playmaking. Perhaps not a breakneck speed counterattack though!

Even though he is a DLF but he is on attack duty so he will still be pretty isolated. I used my lone striker(Immobile) as DF(S) with move into channels and hold up ball PIs. As he is more of a poacher, I just need him to hold up the ball and lay a simple pass to a teammate. He is scoring about 1 goal per game. 

I checked Mitroglou and he has better vision but do you want him to be a creator or a goalscorer? If it's a creator, then continue with the DLF but on support to get him more involved in the play. If goalscorer, you can try the DF(S) with the PIs I mentioned above.

@Argonaut, @vasilli07, @Rash-forwards

Thks for all the inputs.

I've jjust make a couple of games changing the DLF(a) to DLF(s) and CF(s), and the team, as a whole, play worst.

When i've changed the DLF(a) to a support role i also change my left IF(s) to attack duty, but against weaker teams, that defend very deep, it result in a IF completely useless.

So, i've gonna back to my original tactic, only making a small change that is giving my left IF(s) the PI to get further forward. I hope that with this PI my DLF(a) will be less isolated and with that start playing better. 

Will see how it goes.

Archived