Jump to content

FM17 - The community formation experiment


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have dissent in the ranks.

I have just had a meeting with some of the plays about our poor form and although the majority accept they are not blameless and have hardly been putting in the performances expected of them there a re a few blaming me for my insistence of play a formation and tactic that does not suit them. Well they better get used to the formation as that is staying ha ha

Link to post
Share on other sites

Remarkable how a lot of users have created a tactic that makes Sassuolo have the most possession in the Serie A. Makes me wonder whether it's too easy in FM17 to have lots of possession.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 00:03, Kcinnay said:

Remarkable how a lot of users have created a tactic that makes Sassuolo have the most possession in the Serie A. Makes me wonder whether it's too easy in FM17 to have lots of possession.

possession is fairly meaningless just as a stand alone stat. I had a great Bournemouth save where I tried to use the likes of Wilshere, Arter and Surman to keep possession... had 55-65% possession but couldn't keep consistent results... went 424 (2 dms 2 wingers) counter and direct... did amazingly well results wise with more like 40-45% possession.

To your point though... it's very easy to create possession... most commonly, a narrow formation (albeit in this challenge you had what you were given) ... but other instructions ... simply low tempo, short passing, retain possession, play out of defence... all contribute to high possession stats.

Is it any more difficult in real life?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

possession is fairly meaningless just as a stand alone stat. I had a great Bournemouth save where I tried to use the likes of Wilshere, Arter and Surman to keep possession... had 55-65% possession but couldn't keep consistent results... went 424 (2 dms 2 wingers) counter and direct... did amazingly well results wise with more like 40-45% possession.

To your point though... it's very easy to create possession... most commonly, a narrow formation (albeit in this challenge you had what you were given) ... but other instructions ... simply low tempo, short passing, retain possession, play out of defence... all contribute to high possession stats.

Is it any more difficult in real life?

True. As a stat, it's fairly meaningless. I don't like to have lots of possession myself. In fact, I almost always try to have less possession, to be able to counterattack. But I find it very difficult to have less of the ball. Even on extreme closing down (almost none) and passing, that is.

Yeah, my point is: in this challenge, some users are given very extreme formations (3 center strikers, for example) and still manage to completely outpossess top flight teams who have far better players, who are also trying to have more possession, and who have more balanced formations. In game, the usual instructions, the one you named, have lots of power, are almost a well-made recipe for high possession.

And not to derail off topic, but: yes, I think it's more difficult in real life. I should look for more stats, but elaborate passing streaks aren't that common in real life, due to multiple forms of pressing, or just to technical (dis)ability off the teams in possession... In FM, it feels now that any team that wants to have the ball, can have the ball. I managed to make Gibraltar outpossess Belgium. Impossible IRL. That's where FM still lacks depth. Maybe (probably) more complex pressing would 'solve' this, maybe individual passing ability shouldn't be overpowered by 'lower tempo', 'shorter passing', 'retain possession'....

But that's actually something for the Official Feedback Thread. :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kcinnay said:

individual passing ability shouldn't be overpowered by 'lower tempo', 'shorter passing', 'retain possession'....

But that's actually something for the Official Feedback Thread. :-)

yeh agree there... FM17 has, in my view, become slightly over-weighted towards tactics rather than players. i.e. I should be able to make some tactical faults or stick out a 442 with the best 11 players in the world and still get some good results... But I can play with Arsenal vs a non league team and lose 5-0 if I play 442 and don't make sensible instructions. Likewise I can play as Bournemouth and win the league just by making good tactical decisions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

4-3-3narrow

Finally finished the season, got distracted with life, so I decided I really needed to finish the experiment before fm 18 comes out. So after a really good start we had a bit of a hiccup. The team is lacking a few key attributes which I believe played a part in us finishing 4th.  We sort of hopped to the finish line, my key aim for the latter season was to not lose too many games which we succeeded in doing. 4-3-3narrow needs to be tweaked every game otherwise the ai can smell which way your going to attack, used a cm on attack and alternated full backs to attack some games and sometimes turn them into iwb which worked a treat. Overall the system can work very well with right players and choosing right roles and duties. We were very good defensively and hardly let many goals in. The attack side needed tweeking each game and with the right players could be amazing system to play with. The right cd with good attributes are essential if you want to play this system. I am very pleased how we played and a team predicted to finish 9th are in the top 4 and there manager wins the manager of the year award. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...