Offside on an Own Goal?

I thought I'd ask here because a quick review of the offside rule didn't give me an answer. I was just called offside on a goal that the other team put in their own goal. Is that possible?

11 minutes ago, cerud said:

I thought I'd ask here because a quick review of the offside rule didn't give me an answer. I was just called offside on a goal that the other team put in their own goal. Is that possible?

If one of your players was interfering with play when the final ball into the area was played then they can still be offside and cause play to be stopped.

Hmm, in this case, the opposition's defender passed the ball back to their goalkeeper and my striker tried to intercept it. The striker was called offside. Since I didn't shoot the ball to create the opportunity for the offside, I thought that it wasn't possible. Guessing my striker got too close to the goalkeeper.

6 hours ago, cerud said:

Hmm, in this case, the opposition's defender passed the ball back to their goalkeeper and my striker tried to intercept it. The striker was called offside. Since I didn't shoot the ball to create the opportunity for the offside, I thought that it wasn't possible. Guessing my striker got too close to the goalkeeper.

If there wasn't a foul by your striker, this is clearly a bug

Edited by gerry58

6 hours ago, cerud said:

In that case the striker should not be given offside if your team didnt play the ball, regardless of his position.

Report this in the Bugs forum please with a pkm of the match

On 1/26/2017 at 01:07, FrazT said:

Yes, it is possible to be in an offside position and interfering with play ( like standing in the eye line of the keeper) and so be ruled offside without touching the ball.

I'm pretty sure the new rule that came into force at the start of the season is that you have to make a movement towards the ball in order for you to be offside. Therefore you can be between the defensive line and the goalkeeper when the ball is played but still be onside as long as you don't make a movement for the ball even if you are in the goalkeeper's eyeline

You appeared to be arguing that a player could obstruct a keeper's view and not be offside (which I don't think is true fwiw)

I pointed out that contrary to what others have said in the thread any attempt to play the ball, regardless of whether it has any effect on the ball or other players, automatically brings offside players into play

56 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

You appeared to be arguing that a player could obstruct a keeper's view and not be offside (which I don't think is true fwiw)

I pointed out that contrary to what others have said in the thread any attempt to play the ball, regardless of whether it has any effect on the ball or other players, automatically brings offside players into play

No, I simply meant that you could be beyond the defensive line and be in the keepers eyeline but still be onside as long as you don't move forwards the ball. This is completely different to standing directly in front of the keeper and obstructing either his view or the keeper himself. For example, a shot could whizzing past your head and into the back of the net but as long as you didn't make a movement to try and get to the ball it would still count and you would be deemed onside

l know back in the day you could be in an offsides position and interfere with the play if the defending team played it back first.  Maybe a bad example but back in the day Liverpool vs Boro, Liverpool played the ball down the right and Boro defender headed it backward.  Morientes was in an offsides position and scored because Boro played the ball last.

7 hours ago, kopking488 said:

l know back in the day you could be in an offsides position and interfere with the play if the defending team played it back first.  Maybe a bad example but back in the day Liverpool vs Boro, Liverpool played the ball down the right and Boro defender headed it backward.  Morientes was in an offsides position and scored because Boro played the ball last.

It's always been the case @kopking488 that you can't be offside from an opposition backpass

• 2 years later...

This just happened to me. It was a freekick, My striker headed the ball from a free kick at the goal and he was on side. The goalie saved the header by hitting it away right into the back of his defender, the last defender on the opposition team and the ball went into the net off his back.

On 15/09/2019 at 14:18, dap said:

This just happened to me. It was a freekick, My striker headed the ball from a free kick at the goal and he was on side. The goalie saved the header by hitting it away right into the back of his defender, the last defender on the opposition team and the ball went into the net off his back.

When the striker headed it, was there anyone else that was in a n offside position?

Actually, when the free kick was taken, was there anyone else that was in a n offside position?

Also, what competition was this in, and does it have VAR? Cos otherwise the officials can get it wrong.

The overall point is that is that you may be offiside in the event of an own goal

Accepting the FM "officials" may get it wrong and right its likely still worth reporting as a potential by uploading the PKM. SI can check