The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Yeah but remember Frankie, chanting about the IRA and FTQ is political.

Oh we all know the excuses.

What's worse is Celtic FC also attempting to deflect from the issue at hand - namely a fair number of their support (and officially sanctioned bands) singing about h uns and the IRA at the official fan-zone in Barca?

Of course the relevent authorities weren't aware of the disappointing behaviour at the time. It's taken a while for it to become available.

But for them (and their fans) to not want to admit the problems continue to exist and address them properly after the fact is very poor indeed. Really gives the bigots the room they require to continue their unacceptable behaviour.

Originally posted by Frankie:

Oh we all know the excuses.

What's worse is Celtic FC also attempting to deflect from the issue at hand - namely a fair number of their support (and officially sanctioned bands) singing about h uns and the IRA at the official fan-zone in Barca?

Of course the relevent authorities weren't aware of the disappointing behaviour at the time. It's taken a while for it to become available.

But for them (and their fans) to not want to admit the problems continue to exist and address them properly after the fact is very poor indeed. Really gives the bigots the room they require to continue their unacceptable behaviour.

That's the current regime at Parkhead to a tee though: point-scoring, perpetuating and pandering. It naturally filters down.

Gordon Strachan, March '08: "When teams defeat us there is a day of national rejoicing."

Originally posted by jimbo22:

The thing is Frankie, they do this as they know that the media in this country wont take it upon themselves to actively talk about it.

Now wheres that evidence that I had to send to UEFA

But the media is against them. icon_wink.gif

I believe neither Radio Clyde or Real Radio discussed the subject tonight. Now given the alleged pro-Rangers media, it's weird how they're happy to devote days of air-time on our bad behaviour but when it's other clubs they only want to 'talk about the football'.

I'll tell you one thing - as much as I often don't like the way our club go about their business, at least when confronted with unacceptable conduct, they didn't hide from it but challenged us to move forward without it. We're now doing that thank goodness.

Others can't say the same.

Originally posted by McD:

That's the current regime at Parkhead to a tee though: point-scoring, perpetuating and pandering. It naturally filters down.

Gordon Strachan, March '08: "When teams defeat us there is a day of national rejoicing."

I honestly don't know how they (the club or their fans) can do it with a straight face. icon_biggrin.gif

We're the big bad h uns who sing nasty songs, throw bottles at buses and leave rubbish at away games.

Meanwhile, the TGFITW sing nasty songs, throw bottles at buses and assault taxi-drivers at away games.

I mean, come on...? icon_biggrin.gif

Real Radio certainly didn't discuss it, from what I heard, but they did have Alan Rough going on about how Jiri Jarosik will cause us problems tomorrow so I'm not going to give them much credence. icon_biggrin.gif

Ewen and Roughie are not exactly the brightest lamps in the street.... icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

The thing is Frankie, they do this as they know that the media in this country wont take it upon themselves to actively talk about it.

Now wheres that evidence that I had to send to UEFA

But the media is against them. icon_wink.gif

I believe neither Radio Clyde or Real Radio discussed the subject tonight. Now given the alleged pro-Rangers media, it's weird how they're happy to devote days of air-time on our bad behaviour but when it's other clubs they only want to 'talk about the football'.

I'll tell you one thing - as much as I often don't like the way our club go about their business, at least when confronted with unacceptable conduct, they didn't hide from it but challenged us to move forward without it. We're now doing that thank goodness.

Others can't say the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably got the usual "lets just talk about football line"

Oh wait, its About Rangers, well lets get it going then, Who's first

To be honest Jimbo, a decent part of me is glad they didn't discuss it. Such empirical debates analysed by half-wits won't solve the problem.

As we've consistently said on here, neither side can win when it comes to this debate. I think some parts of the media are wakening up to that fact while the authorities have also realised the subject is not one that can be solved simply.

I'm just glad that our fans (or at least a huge majority of them) accept the problems we've had (and continue to face to a degree) instead of prevaricating, deflecting and denying in their haste to defend songs of hate.

I'm just glad that our fans (or at least a huge majority of them) accept the problems we've had (and continue to face to a degree) instead of prevaricating, deflecting and denying in their haste to defend songs of hate.

Sorry couldn't resist one last question.

What songs of hate are you refering too?

Thats it, we have acknowledged that there was a problem and it has all but gone, we should be happy about that.

But we should also get fair media coverage, sadly in Scotland that isnt the case, but hey ho, we should be happy hat we have achieved it and dont need to lie through our teeth about the subject.

Originally posted by Anton:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Sorry couldn't resist one last question.

What songs of hate are you refering too? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm, have you actually read anything I've posted today? icon_biggrin.gif

How about songs hating 'h uns' or songs celebrating sectarian terrorist murder gangs? Add in a few FTQs as well. Are they hateful enough for you? Or is it just the craic?

I certainly don't see you coming up with a good reason to continue singing about h uns? I've posted several times on the subject asking you to clarify what you mean but every time you move onto something else.

You do agree the the word h un is insulting, discriminatory and often used in a sectarian fashion so should be removed from your songs to avoid contention?

Also, what did you mean about my mask slipping?

Ok one last time.

No songs about the IRA have been sung domestically home or away this year at any game I have been at (majority)

FTQ exactly the same, maybe a few years ago as an addon but not anymore.

The only song with referance to 'h un' in it is the Artur Boruc song. If that is a song of hate then the world really has gone mad.

The word *** in that song is clearly just a shortening of rangers. If other people use it in other context then it is not applicable to that song at all.

So basically this year you have one instance of a song being sung outside of a stadium in another country. And mock outrage at a song in no way offensive.

Guess if you moan long enough even you begin to believe we are constantly spouting 'songs of hate'

You really are the people!

Wont be on till sunday, so goodnight and gl tomorrow.

Songs about the IRA have been sung. Hence the UEFA investigation... They have been heard at other games as well. The location of said songs is irrelevant in terms of denying your obvious bigotry problem.

H un is not a 'shortening' of Rangers! Does that mean fenian is a 'shortening' of Celtic. You're using the very same argument some of our own fans tried to use before now which Celtic supporters laughed at.

Such arguments given the recipient of said terms is extremely flawed.

For some h un means Protestant. For some fenian means catholic. It's extremely clear so both contentious terms should be removed. As Jeebs or any decent Celtic fan of whom there are plenty thankfully.

I'm astounded at your continued hypocrisy.

Originally posted by Jeebs:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The word *** in that song is clearly just a shortening of rangers

Didn't know the word Rangers contained the letters h, u and n? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well there's a n icon_wink.gif

Not got time for all this. Shall we just start the match thread early?

Originally posted by jimbo22:

Anyway, bugger this.... Lets talk about the football.

Predictions lads?

I'm going for 3-1 us with the Darch scoring first.

I think we'll win, as I've said before. But I don't think it will be by that much, 1-0 or 2-1 and it might even end a draw if the referee forgets his instructions.

I just think that yes, we are the better team albeit not by much, we are at home but this is an OF derby and you just never no.

Was stunned btw to hear people on the Rangers TV channel thinking a draw would be a great result for us. I tend to disagree, whilst a draw wouldn't be a total disaster we really need to win, we might need that nine point gap.

Think it'll be 1-1 tomorrow.

Yeah, I think a draw is the most likely outcome unfortunately. Not the best result given our remaining games but certainly not a disaster.

Really can't pick a winner in this game - could go either way very easily. The officials will have a huge part to play but hopefully in a positive sense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Deny & deflect, deny & deflect.

They're like bloody daleks.

Funniest thing I've read on here in a long, long time... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Permission to re-use please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Granted icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anton:

Ok if you are classing the Boruc song as sectarion then it gets sung at every game.

But then we have a whole new argument which I am not even going to start with.

I didnt say the youtube stuff didnt exist, I said I hadn't known about them and asked you to link.

The IRA addons in the first vid are unacceptable, it being outwith the stadium uefa cannot take any action though. This song gets sung at every home and away match and the addons are never used anymore. I can say that 100% hand on heart.

The word 'h un' is only ever used by Celtic fans towards teams with a certain perceived religious affiliation.

Much in the same way 'fenian' was allegedly used by some Rangers fans to mean Catholic, I'd suggest a similar number of Celtic supporters use it to describe Protestants.

As such, to avoid contention and offence, it should go. My information is that police forces, Celtic FC, the SPL and UEFA all think the same.

Don't you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you really trying to claim only Celtic fans call you h uns?

ahahahaha deluded </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I never said that anywhere. I referred specifically with regard to Celtic fans usage of the word. Of course other fans - wrongly but not in a sectarian sense (as with fenian arguably) - use the word as well.

Are you denying you only every use towards the kind of teams I mention?

As for delusion, I think the only deluded person is you son... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wont be falling for your RST propaganda...."father"

Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

You can tell that the derby is coming up icon_biggrin.gif

H.un has undergone widespread semantic pejoration whereas fenian has undergone narrow linguistic pejoration. I'm not exactly certian why h.un underwent semantic diachrnoic change, opposed to lingusitic diachronic change, but it did - it's certainly less offensive than it used to be. That said, *** - much like fenian - has a different semanic meaning when sung at a football stadium, as it has been contexualised to become inflammatory.

You can argue the toss either way, but for Celtic fans to claim that h.un is not sectarian is wrong, just because "other fans" use it - pragmatically, it's not the same for a Celtic fan to call someone a h.un as it is a Hearts, Hibs or Shire fan to call someone a ***.

Utter pish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having studied historical linguistics, I was kinda hoping for a healthy debate from somebody - instead your response was "Utter pish."

Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

You can tell that the derby is coming up icon_biggrin.gif

H.un has undergone widespread semantic pejoration whereas fenian has undergone narrow linguistic pejoration. I'm not exactly certian why h.un underwent semantic diachrnoic change, opposed to lingusitic diachronic change, but it did - it's certainly less offensive than it used to be. That said, *** - much like fenian - has a different semanic meaning when sung at a football stadium, as it has been contexualised to become inflammatory.

You can argue the toss either way, but for Celtic fans to claim that h.un is not sectarian is wrong, just because "other fans" use it - pragmatically, it's not the same for a Celtic fan to call someone a h.un as it is a Hearts, Hibs or Shire fan to call someone a ***.

Utter pish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having studied historical linguistics, I was kinda hoping for a healthy debate from somebody - instead your response was "Utter pish." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Translation: Utter Pish = icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by FrazT:

Half time 1-0 Thompson

Celtic apparantly the better team but who cares.

Well as I said in the match fred, happy with goal, not happy with the performance far too many players don't see to be in the game at all.

as I said in the other thread, we've done pish all tbh

first shot on target was 41 minutes, a wheelie bin would offer more movement than McCulloch, although Celtic really haven't had anything to trouble McGregor so far

think we'd have seen a formation change if the score was still 0-0, but we'll not change it at the moment with the score as it is

Archived