The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Originally posted by Frankie:

You'd think if there was such concrete interest and he was one of the top 5 world goalkeepers, such interest at what would be a reasonable price of circa £10million (given the cost of Buffon/Gordon et al), would have resulted in an offer by now.

One has to wonder why Roy Keane, when he chose to raid the SPL for a goalkeeper, chose Craig Gordon over the £10m superstar who he'd shared a dressing room with only a year previously.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by theholyone:

They're is as much chance of you winning the uefa cup as there is of ladle admitting he is irish

I'm not saying we'll definately win it, however if you offered me the choice of finishing 3rd in our group and going on to win the UEFA Cup, or finish 2nd in the group and get utterly humiliated in the last 16 of the Champions League, then I know I'd much prefer the former.

We didn't struggle against Panathinaikos ffs, Smith had a game plan to not concede at home and we would have taken a comfortable lead to Greece if Novo had his shooting boots on in the 1st leg. Nor did we struggle against Red Star Belgrade, Belgrade didn't look like scoring during the entire 180 minutes of the tie, and you only need to nick a goal at any time to progress. It's how you play European knockout football - the Italians have been masters of it for years and it's not done them any harm whatsoever.

You can stick to your anti-football jibes all you want - we'll just stick to getting results away from home. 15 defeats in 16 away Champions League games means you have nothing to be smug about when it comes to playing European football.

It is so crazy the differing views from both sides. I watced the game with you in Greece and thought you deserved to be hammered, but you feel you played for a draw.

And some people saying McGregor is as good as Boruc.

I'll admit that I must have some seriously 'anti rangers' views, but I dont see the games as you do. And I watch as objectively I can.

Ginger, would you prefer QF of the cl, or to lose vs breman?

Originally posted by Anton:

It is so crazy the differing views from both sides. I watced the game with you in Greece and thought you deserved to be hammered, but you feel you played for a draw.

And some people saying McGregor is as good as Boruc.

I'll admit that I must have some seriously 'anti rangers' views, but I dont see the games as you do. And I watch as objectively I can.

Ginger, would you prefer QF of the cl, or to lose vs breman?

Champions League quarters obviously. But we blew the best chance we'll get of reaching that stage against Villareal.

Boruc is a great keeper, but I genuinely don't believe there is a lot of difference between the 2 OF goalies - Alan McGregor is criminally under-rated by a lot of people in Scotland. He's a far better keeper than Stefan Klos ever was.

Where do you starticon_biggrin.gif,the fact people are trying to deny they are clubs intrested in Boruc!icon_biggrin.gif

the fact Ginger Furball yet again has a really poor wind up attempting claiming getting beat off Barcelona is humilating(3-0 at home to lyon is humilating mate)

the one which does it for me though is that Allan McGregor(that guy who is good to give away at least 5 goals a season)is better than Stefan Klos who was a champions league winner and outstanding...

Keep going mate

Where do you starticon_biggrin.gif,the fact people are trying to deny they are clubs intrested in Boruc!icon_biggrin.gif

As Ladle says.... any proof little man?

or is it the "tell a lie often enough" thing that Celtic are so good at?

Originally posted by Ladle:

Wouldn't you rather have some sort of stump of a brain, rather than your monobrow and squinty eyes?

Mirror, mirror......

Maybe if you stopped with the racist comments about gypsy's then people wouldn't have such a low opinion of you.

the one which does it for me though is that Allan McGregor(that guy who is good to give away at least 5 goals a season)is better than Stefan Klos who was a champions league winner and outstanding...

Keep going mate

Klos was a poor keeper who was a fantastic shot stopper. McGregor is a far better all round keeper than Klos ever was.

Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ladle:

Why can you ***** not **** off to your own thread, rather than polluting this one all the time?

Like you're doing in our match thread? clownshoe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look at the past few pages of this thread - the majority of it pointless crap posted by you, John Paul and Seamus.

Oh, and calling you a gypsy Kevin is liking calling a spade a spade.

my god, something I completely agree with icon_redface.gif

absolutely no way I'd put McGregor in the class with Klos, Goram and Woods

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the one which does it for me though is that Allan McGregor(that guy who is good to give away at least 5 goals a season)is better than Stefan Klos who was a champions league winner and outstanding...

absolutely no way I'd put McGregor in the class with Klos, Goram and Woods </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Klos wasn't that great a goalkeeper.

His record against Celtic was a disgrace.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the one which does it for me though is that Allan McGregor(that guy who is good to give away at least 5 goals a season)is better than Stefan Klos who was a champions league winner and outstanding...

absolutely no way I'd put McGregor in the class with Klos, Goram and Woods </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His record against Celtic was a disgrace. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye no bloody wonder when he had a number of absolute donkeys in front of him for years and it coincided with Celtic having Larsson, Hartson and Sutton up front - in no order and to name a few, Moore, Amo, Vanoli, Ball, Zurab, Malcolm and Murray. What protection did they ever give Klos? Hee-fooking-Haw. Anytime Celtic got a corner or set piece you feared the worst.

McGregor's record against Celtic stands up granted but he has never faced the quality Klos did and has the luxury of a quality central defensive pairing to help him through it.

Originally posted by Henchoz_6:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

Aye no bloody wonder when he had a number of absolute donkeys in front of him for years and it coincided with Celtic having Larsson, Hartson and Sutton up front - in no order and to name a few, Moore, Amo, Vanoli, Ball, Zurab, Malcolm and Murray. What protection did they ever give Klos? Hee-fooking-Haw. Anytime Celtic got a corner or set piece you feared the worst.

McGregor's record against Celtic stands up granted but he has never faced the quality Klos did and has the luxury of a quality central defensive pairing to help him through it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Klos didn't help by refusing to leave his goal line and not commanding his box at all.

Celtic's 2nd goal in the league cup game at Parkhead in 2005 summed up Klos to a T.

Stefan Klos was unbelievable for us. I particularly remember one game away to Hearts where we were a man down and a goal up at half time. Second half Hearts absolutely battered us. Klos produced about 5 world class saves. One was a triple save, the commentators were creaming their pants over him. Good days. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Henchoz_6:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

McGregor's record against Celtic stands up granted but he has never faced the quality Klos did and has the luxury of a quality central defensive pairing to help him through it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Klos didn't help by refusing to leave his goal line and not commanding his box at all.

Celtic's 2nd goal in the league cup game at Parkhead in 2005 summed up Klos to a T. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An error ridden keeper?!

There has been some pish posted on this thread but that's up there with the best of them. Look at the basic facts and you will realise Klos was an outstanding keeper for Rangers who for his final seasons had an average (at very best) defence in front of him. The biggest compliment I can pay him was the common cry from Celtic fans during the Seville season was - "if we had Klos we would have won the Uefa". Nuff said.

is that 2005 goal the Maloney one btw? I do admit he was a bit far off his line, but the guy hadn't played for weeks and had been dropped for big Wattereus when the only thing he did wrong was get injured - which of course wasn't his fault

Klos is a lgend in my eyes tbh icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by TM:

is that 2005 goal the Maloney one btw? I do admit he was a bit far off his line, but the guy hadn't played for weeks and had been dropped for big Wattereus when the only thing he did wrong was get injured - which of course wasn't his fault

Klos is a lgend in my eyes tbh icon_cool.gif

No, the second goal in that game, where Nakamura swung over a high hanging cross, the sort that should be bread and butter for any goalkeeper, Klos sits on his line like always and the ball somehow ends up going in off his backside.

Another example from the 2002 Cup final, and Celtic's opening goal. Corner swung over, ball gets headed back across goal to Hartson, Hartson heads home. Where was Klos in all of this? Standing behind his goal line.

A tremendous shot stopper, I'll give him that much. However, his distribution, dealing with crosses and command of his area were all terrible. Nowhere near the standard of either goalkeeper we had before him.

Allan McGregor 1-1 at Ibrox ball comes acrss from possibily Naylor?he does a camera dive to try and save the cross while messing it up for..Tommy G to shoot into a empty net

Lyon game this year he messes up again

he has done quite alot of mistakes in spl matches to if am not mistaken

Well, you are mistaken. He's actually kept us in a hell of a lot of matches. We would have been at least 2 down against the Sheep on saturday were it not for him. He made excellent saves away to Lyon and against Barcelona. Everyone makes the odd mistake, difference is, our keepers not an instigating little *****. He just likes to get his leg over every now and then. icon_biggrin.gif

Good god, I can't believe the amount of dross that’s been posted these past few pages!

Let's leave the talk of who is "better" to the results on the park and the final standings at the end of May.

Anyways, massive game coming Thursday. Apart from Bayern I'd say this Bremen team is probably the strongest and most balanced team in the UEFA Cup. Getting past them would not only be quite an achievement, it would also leave us no one to fear afterwards.

Germany has a very strong challenge for this cup, but if we regain our early European form and keep up the good away form then we have every chance to advance. Looking forward to the tie in any event, we got nothing to lose!

A tremendous shot stopper, I'll give him that much. However, his distribution, dealing with crosses and command of his area were all terrible. Nowhere near the standard of either goalkeeper we had before him.

Pish. The medals (both for Rangers and with Dortmund) speak for themself. BTW - Goram hardly ever came for a cross - didn't need to with Gough, Brown, Bjorkland, McLaren etc in front of him.

it would also leave us no one to fear afterwards.

apart from Bayern of course icon_wink.gif Spurs, Everton (provided they get through) would be major threats though. Bolton did everybody a job in the last round knocking out the team I thought would at least get to the final - Atletico Madrid

Allan McGregor 1-1 at Ibrox ball comes acrss from possibily Naylor?he does a camera dive to try and save the cross while messing it up for..Tommy G to shoot into a empty net

Lyon game this year he messes up again

Unsurprisingly you are mistaken... icon_biggrin.gif

McGregor has been one of our most consistent players this season and I struggle to recall any mistakes that resulted in a goal in the SPL this term. Oh, and if you want to talk about 'camera saves' from last season, perhaps you should start with Boruc when dealing with Ehiogu's overhead kick?

He did well at the opening goal tonight as well, eh? I'm sure there will be scores of concrete bids on the Polish wires tonight... icon_wink.gif

As for McGregor being better than Klos, well I can see where GF is coming from actually even if I disagree. Klos' record at Rangers was superb - if tainted because of his huff when the Hoff took over. Nonetheless McGregor has a fair way to go to match what Klos achieved both at Rangers and in the game generally. However, he certainly has the overall game (better with crosses, better distribution and decent shot-stopper) to develop further in the next few years as he gains further experience.

Seeing as it's a bit quite in here I'll do a bit of trivia.

How many players can you name that have the same letters ending in their first and last name? Rangers players obviously.

I'll get the ball rolling.

Lorenzo Amoruso

Theres about 7/8 IIRC.

Archived