The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

(this was probably due to the amount of injuries we had)

We've had more than our share too, but carry on.

The eleven Celtic players on the pitch must have been the only people on the planet (plus you Tony obv) who didn't view an OF game, any OF game, as 'meaningful'. Pretty worrying attitude.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tony_cfc:

(this was probably due to the amount of injuries we had)

We've had more than our share too, but carry on.

The eleven Celtic players on the pitch must have been the only people on the planet (plus you Tony obv) who didn't view an OF game, any OF game, as 'meaningful'. Pretty worrying attitude. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

of course but its obv that you teams performance will drop with injuries, its no coincidence that our only bad spell was at this time.

maybe not meaningless but teams always wind down at the end of the season OF game or not. nothing will ever convince me that players will have the same will to win in a games that doesnt count for nothing than one that could decide a league.

i dont believe OF games mean as much to players nowadays due to the amount of foreigners

Wouldn't worry about the anti-football claims. Anyone who watched the game tonight will know we played some good stuff and battled hard for a well fought victory. Hopefully this will be a catalyst for a final push and start winning in style again rather than struggling like we have been at times.

Don't give a flying crap about anti-football jibes, started by a bitter Barcelona player because his multi-billion pound talent crammed side couldn't beat us, and picked up on by the morons in green and white hoops as a defence to hide behind because they are trailing in the league.

Tony can spout whatever he wants, even if they win their home game against us, we're still a point clear and right at this moment we ARE the best side in Scotland. Thats all that matters.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wouldn't worry about the anti-football claims. Anyone who watched the game tonight will know we played some good stuff and battled hard for a well fought victory. Hopefully this will be a catalyst for a final push and start winning in style again rather than struggling like we have been at times.

Don't give a flying crap about anti-football jibes, started by a bitter Barcelona player because his multi-billion pound talent crammed side couldn't beat us, and picked up on by the morons in green and white hoops as a defence to hide behind because they are trailing in the league.

Tony can spout whatever he wants, even if they win their home game against us, we're still a point clear and right at this moment we ARE the best side in Scotland. Thats all that matters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best team are the champions

and we have 2 old firm games at Parkhead..so its in our own hands

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i dont believe OF games mean as much to players nowadays due to the amount of foreigners

Speak for yourselves, we don't have many in our starting line-up icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

8 Scots started and 4 on the bench.

• SI Staff

at the end of the day we aren't top of the league due to complacency around december time (this was probably due to the amount of injuries we had) and that rangers haven't dropped anything since then.

it'll all go down to the OF games as the other teams are so poor. dont thinik anyone can predict what is going to happen as we have only had 1 meaningful game in over a year and that was ages ago. may the best team win icon_wink.gif

NO EXCUSES

• SI Staff
Originally posted by theholyone:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wouldn't worry about the anti-football claims. Anyone who watched the game tonight will know we played some good stuff and battled hard for a well fought victory. Hopefully this will be a catalyst for a final push and start winning in style again rather than struggling like we have been at times.

Tony can spout whatever he wants, even if they win their home game against us, we're still a point clear and right at this moment we ARE the best side in Scotland. Thats all that matters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and we have 2 old firm games at Parkhead..so its in our own hands </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One at Ibrox as well don't forget. Probably before we've even played you at your place.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i dont believe OF games mean as much to players nowadays due to the amount of foreigners

Speak for yourselves, we don't have many in our starting line-up icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's also crap anyway, ask Hateley, Larsson, Petrov, Gascoigne etc etc etc what they think of the OF game.

thats why your team has no flair icon_biggrin.gif

if we win our homes game then we are 2 points clear icon_confused.gif

you have won 1 more game on your run than us and apart from tonight you performances haven't been great so i dont see how you are the best side

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

It's also crap anyway, ask Hateley, Larsson, Petrov, Gascoigne etc etc etc what they think of the OF game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

as much as a grant, mcstay, mccoist or goram?

of course but its obv that you teams performance will drop with injuries, its no coincidence that our only bad spell was at this time.

maybe not meaningless but teams always wind down at the end of the season OF game or not. nothing will ever convince me that players will have the same will to win in a games that doesnt count for nothing than one that could decide a league.

i dont believe OF games mean as much to players nowadays due to the amount of foreigners

You do live in your own wee world sometimes, Tony.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

thats why your team has no flair icon_biggrin.gif

if we win our homes game then we are 2 points clear icon_confused.gif

you have won 1 more game on your run than us and apart from tonight you performances haven't been great so i dont see how you are the best side </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You win your home game, we're a point clear. The other two OF games go to the home side, we're still a point clear. If we're not the best, being four points clear who are, Gretna?

• SI Staff
if we win our homes game then we are 2 points clear

What are you talking about? If we win all our games and lose twice away to you lot then we still win the league by a point.

you have won 1 more game on your run than us and apart from tonight you performances haven't been great so i dont see how you are the best side

Your performances haven't been great either so again, what are you talking about?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tony_cfc:

You do live in your own wee world sometimes, Tony. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok fine, we tried our hardest after the league was won and the games we lost was after then nothing to do with the league being wrapped up icon_rolleyes.gif

you are saying the best team at this time , we have both went on a similiar runs against the same group of teams so i cant see how you can say you are the btter team at this time , thats what im arguing. over the season yes you can say you have been the best team though

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if we win our homes game then we are 2 points clear

What are you talking about? If we win all our games and lose twice away to you lot then we still win the league by a point.

Your performances haven't been great either so again, what are you talking about? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he said if you lost your two away games to us, he didnt say anything about the other OF game

where did i say we had been great icon_confused.gif ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theholyone:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

and we have 2 old firm games at Parkhead..so its in our own hands </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One at Ibrox as well don't forget. Probably before we've even played you at your place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that'll be a drawicon_biggrin.gif

ok fine, we tried our hardest after the league was won and the games we lost was after then nothing to do with the league being wrapped up icon_rolleyes.gif

Christ, the rolleyes Tony. Scraping the barrel now.

Irony is, if you lot had won those two games at the tail end of last season, you'd be the first on here banging on about how it gives Strachan the psychological edge going into these three games. It's laughable.

over the season yes you can say you have been the best team though

Changed your tune from a month or so ago. Shocker.

Christ, the rolleyes Tony. Scraping the barrel now.

Irony is, if you lot had won those two games at the tail end of last season, you'd be the first on here banging on about how it gives Strachan the psychological edge going into these three games. It's laughable.

over the season yes you can say you have been the best team though

Changed your tune from a month or so ago. Shocker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

trust me they were needed

i do agree with you there but i dont think the players would see it like that.

i remember during the 9 in a row years when we won the "meaningless" games at the end of the season and the same things im saying were said by rangers fans. shows how much times have changed eh?

i said he had grounds to say they were the best team over the season, not my opinion icon_wink.gif

No McCurry and Rangers win again? Shurely shome mishtake?

An excellent win last night and one I really hope the lads take confidence from. As we've showed plenty times this season we are more than capable of playing some great football and putting teams to the sword when required. Yes, sometimes we have to result to more solid and direct physical play but we're playing in Scotland - not Spain - so that's a vital part of any SPL championship winning side.

Thought Ferguson, Davis and Dailly were all superb last night. First time our whole midfield has showed up for a number of weeks actually and although it took us 25mins or so to really influence the game, afterwards they ran the show. More of the same please.

All in all, there's still a long way to go. The 3 Old Firm games will be hugely important for the destination of the title but tonight showed we've nothing to be afraid of in that regard.

To be Fair,we actually had a few footballers in that team of quite a high standard

saying that you make up for the lack of footballers by having revern mccurry icon_wink.gif

Now, why would someone with 'holy' in their name take issue with Mr McCurry's employment in relation to how he carries out his professional duties both as a well respected Baptist pastor or his more than fair refereeing work?

Not a very Christian attitude to have - just like the strange fellow you apparently name yourself after. Or does 'holy' refer to the ever-present flaws in your tedious excuse-making?

Nevertheless, since you and your peers want to scrape the bottom of the barrel with your laughable referee conspiracies, maybe you can tell us why Nade wasn't sent off last night and why we were disallowed another perfectly good goal for about the 8th time this season? Or doesn't Stuart Dougal come into your claims because he's not refereed a Rangers game since last March?

No Excuses. icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by FrazT:

I always enjoy your calm, reasoned, morning afterv reviews of the game Frankie. icon14.gif

Always best to wait a wee while as sometimes the excitement after such an excellent win can make the mouth run a bit wild... icon_wink.gif

Am enjoying the way Walter Smith is treating the media after such games. He plays everything down and takes the pressure off. People forget just how far behind we've been in recent seasons and so far the turn around has been superb. However, despite the agreeable 4 point lead, there's a long way to go and anything can happen in any game.

We should be confident but we should also temper that with realism. icon14.gif

It is al;so encouraging to note that, at the time of the season when most teams are struggling with a lot of injuries and suspensions, the Gaffer has an almost full squad to choose from with good levels of cover across the whole squad ( except perhaps at DC ). Maybe this will be a major factor in the run in. As you say, however, we must be realistic and not draw too many conclusions from one , albeit very good, win.

The last 3 games I have watched here have been the 2 Greek games and the Hibs match and in truth, they hardly looked like world beaters in any of those.

Definitely not world-beaters but hopefully this result and performance will be the spur we need for the rest of the season. The likes of Weir, Ferguson, JCD and Adam haven't been great lately but they all played well last night so if they can't take confidence from that there's something badly wrong.

The whole squad will definitely need to be used and the return of the previous outstanding Kevin Thomson is a huge bonus for the team. Davis looks like a very useful signing and I'd love to see him, Thomson and Ferguson in the midfield three.

Add in the versatility and general reliability of guys like Whittaker, Broadfoot and Dailly then we have the depth and quality required to challenge on all fronts. Of course the number of games may affect us in terms of injuries, suspension and consistency of selection but it should not be used as an excuse for failure.

Will we win the title? I'm genuinely not sure. However, with form like we showed last night, we certainly won't be far away. And that's a decent answer if you look at the last 2 season's league tables.

No matter what what happens we have to build upon the relative successes of this season and suitable investment in the playing squad and the club generally will bring back the good times.

I just hope the old ticker can take it! icon14.gif

If you think you have an old ticker, what chance have I got!

My impresssions over the last few games ( I didnt see last night ) is that some of the frailities of the defnce are starting to be exposed. Weir has undoubtedly done a great job in the last 15 months and has brought some much needed stability to the back 4. He has shown recently however, that he cannot cope with fast forwarsds who just run at him and sooner or late, Smith must start making plans for his replacement- I havent seen Webster enough to know if he is the answer but that is one area of definite weakness in my view. The lack of creativity going forward from the fullbacks has also been a problem. Both Papac and Broadfoot are capable enough defenders but at this level, you need more in the last third from the fullbacks and this hasnt been happening. It is great to see Smith back playing and perhaps he and Whittaker on the right can do the job. We perhaps didnt appreciate what Hutton did for the team in the last year , till he left!

• SI Staff

We've also got Webster and Stevie Smith about ready for first team action as well.

Really looking forward to Saturday now. Could be an awesome day if Hibs do us a favour then we do the business against Aberdeen. icon14.gif

We should get Steven Davis signed up as soon as possible as well. He's getting better with every game.

Differing reports as to his availability and subsequent price but on last night's (and Sunday's form) he's well worth further investment.

Definitely not world-beaters

In terms of skill, compared to past Rangers teams this current side doesn't rate all that highly. But then, it doesn't really need to as there isn't any decent competition. We don't have anything to fear from any side in the SPL, as long as the players keep focused and remember that they do have to work to get the results. Hearts were woeful last night, hilariously so and it's good to see them being so inept, but that shouldn't take away from our performance which was better than a whole lot of our other games in our 10 successive league wins.

The downside of the SPL being so poor is that it's harder for the very poor Celtic team to drop points, but I'm confident they will drop points to some teams and I see no reason why we can't at least come out top points wise in the OF games. It might all go tits up yet for all we know, but as long as we keep winning there is nothing anyone else can do!

Hmm and yeah we definately miss Hutton as I'm sure I pointed out before he left that we did and would. We also lack on the wings, Charlie Adam may have a made a couple of decent passes last night but that in no way suddenly makes him a player worth keeping. And as much as I like JCD for some reason, he really isn't a long term prospect as he's too injury prone so we really need more firepower up front as you'd expect Cousin will leave in the summer if not before. So yes, there are definately improvements that can be made but that can only be a good thing and shows we are back on the right track.

BTW, let's make it clear Hearts appeared woeful because once we scored, we played very well (particularly for 35mins in the second half).

Our passing, work-rate, movement, strength and pace ensured they struggled to match us at any given point. Before the enforced break in January, we played at this tempo and quality for a few games and I'm delighted that we've got back to it at last.

This game also showed that the 4-5-1 parent formation is one that we can use very well if all the players (and particularly the offensive midfielders) do their job properly.

Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theholyone:

To be Fair,we actually had a few footballers in that team of quite a high standard

saying that you make up for the lack of footballers by having revern mccurry icon_wink.gif

Now, why would someone with 'holy' in their name take issue with Mr McCurry's employment in relation to how he carries out his professional duties both as a well respected Baptist pastor or his more than fair refereeing work?

Not a very Christian attitude to have - just like the strange fellow you apparently name yourself after. Or does 'holy' refer to the ever-present flaws in your tedious excuse-making?

Nevertheless, since you and your peers want to scrape the bottom of the barrel with your laughable referee conspiracies, maybe you can tell us why Nade wasn't sent off last night and why we were disallowed another perfectly good goal for about the 8th time this season? Or doesn't Stuart Dougal come into your claims because he's not refereed a Rangers game since last March?

No Excuses. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just saying what his job is

Sure if a catholic priest was reffing Celtic nothing would be made out of it either...

theholyone..arthur boruc is the holy goalie..he is the holy one.

any more questions?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

Long ball game didn't do O'Squeal any harm, how some peoples memories have faded eh.

There was very few flighted balls all night tonight (if you don't include the ones which Dailly and Cuellar mopped up from the maroon end).

Let them carry on with it though. It gives them something to justify their position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They already have the ref's up at the top of their "why we aint top of the league" list.

Anyone's fault but their own, but when they're winning, not even a little chirp. mmmmmm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Na to be fair..your players aint as good as ours BUT you battle and not got a *****bag and play as a team and seem really up for it

That is why your top imo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, Celtic taught us a footballing lesson at Ibrox in October.

The current Rangers side is extremely capable of playing great, quick stuff on the deck.

If Smith grows a set and plays Naismith and Burke wide instead of McCulloch and Adam against Celtic, you'll get a nice front row seat.

you are saying the best team at this time , we have both went on a similiar runs against the same group of teams so i cant see how you can say you are the btter team at this time , thats what im arguing. over the season yes you can say you have been the best team though

We've not gone on similar runs at all.

We've won 43 out of the last 45 points available to us. In the same period, you've won 36.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

Long ball game didn't do O'Squeal any harm, how some peoples memories have faded eh.

There was very few flighted balls all night tonight (if you don't include the ones which Dailly and Cuellar mopped up from the maroon end).

Let them carry on with it though. It gives them something to justify their position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They already have the ref's up at the top of their "why we aint top of the league" list.

Anyone's fault but their own, but when they're winning, not even a little chirp. mmmmmm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Na to be fair..your players aint as good as ours BUT you battle and not got a *****bag and play as a team and seem really up for it

That is why your top imo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, Celtic taught us a footballing lesson at Ibrox in October.

The current Rangers side is extremely capable of playing great, quick stuff on the deck.

If Smith grows a set and plays Naismith and Burke wide instead of McCulloch and Adam against Celtic, you'll get a nice front row seat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahaha,Check the team side that day..bit differant now sunshine

Naismith is about as good as Riordan and he doesn't get near out team

Chris Burke-scary thought

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

We've won 43 out of the last 45 points available to us. In the same period, you've won 36. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you've won your past 10 and we've won our past 9 iirc, thats pretty simliar is it not?

Ahaha,Check the team side that day..bit differant now sunshine

Naismith is about as good as Riordan and he doesn't get near out team

Chris Burke-scary thought

Boruc - still your first choice goalkeeper.

Caldwell - still a first pick in defence.

McManus - still captain.

O'Dea (?) - bombed out for no reason.

Naylor - still plays regularly.

Donati - still a first pick.

Broon9 - the new Gazza iirc.

Hartley - Scotland international.

Nakamura - current POTY.

Jarosik - best performer in a green and grey jersey that day by a country mile.

McDonald - SPL top scorer.

Aiden "better than Ronaldo" McGeady - in such great form he was benched. Only contribution to the game was to be completely sonned (again) by Hutton.

Sorry, what was your point? 8 of your side that day would be first picks in a "pick your strongest Celtic team" poll.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

We've won 43 out of the last 45 points available to us. In the same period, you've won 36. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you've won your past 10 and we've won our past 9 iirc, thats pretty simliar is it not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but take the run to the last 15 games and not the last 10 and we're ridiculously superior. It's not even debatable as to who the better side have been since October - that side sits 4 points clear.

And your December stumble is matched by our Sept/Oct stumble, where we took 7 points from 6 SPL games.

Archived