The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Forgot to mention Brahim Hemdani:

His composure, awareness, anticipation and general recycling of possession are second to none. An absolute joy to watch and makes the game look so simple at times. What a player!

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to pre-empt some of the usual trolls..

The Laws of the Game: Law 12, Fouls and Misconduct (Handball related)

A direct free kick (or penalty) is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following offences:

4. handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

I think that covers all the handball incidents in the game quite nicely and perhaps shows McCurry to be correct every time.

icon_smile.gif

We did OK tonight. The solidity that's typified our season was present and there was enough spark going forward to see us through. For all his obvious flaws, thought Adam had one of his better games, agree with Frankie that Hemdani was the classiest player on the pitch and this really must be David Weir's last season before someone younger and sharper gets drafted in next to Cuellar.

Must be a troubling, confusing time for your average Celtic troll atm. Couple of weeks ago, Hutton was overrated and mince, now we're all being told the walls of Ibrox are crumbling from within cos we're punting our "best player". Best ignored, guys like Kev will put a negative spin on us winning the title if and when it happens.

We overspent in the summer, our squad is still pretty bloated currently, and while the benefits have been there for all to see, there's also a time for pragmatism and £9m for a young right back is superb business. Nothing to do with being a "selling club", everything to do with not being able to compete financially or competitively with down south. Same with Cousin. As long as that money filters its way back into the running and general progression of the club over the long-term, it's something we're going to have to accept.

Originally posted by TM:

and Dodds who seems to have a problem with us?

Always had time for Billy Dodds as a player, even before he moved to us, but he's turned out to be as big an obnoxious and bitter **** as Booth in the commentary box. Hate having to listen to either of them.

probably because of the cloud he left us under tbh, I felt sorry for him as he was one of our best attacking options but Advocaat didn't think so

but now I listen to him on the radio/TV and he just sounds so bitter towards us - although Booth is on a different wavelength for his hatred icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by BWCH:

Just out of interest, if Hutton turns down this move, and Spurs didn't come back again in the Summer (even though they no doubt would), could you ever see Rangers being offered a better offer, or a bigger club than Spurs coming in for him?

It's all a moot point now, but if Hutton continued to improve at the rate he was going, Man Utd would have beckoned.

Good luck to the lad, can't begrudge him the move at all - he deserves the chance to show his class on a bigger stage, he's getting triple his wages, and could win himself an even better move.

The club have been a disgrace in all of this. Spurs should have been told to chase themselves initially, and when Hutton turned the move down, that should have been the end of the matter.

If you're serious about winning the title, you don't sell your best player in January. Would Celtic have sold McGeady, or treated him in the manner that Rangers have treated Hutton?

Originally posted by Frankie:

- Goncalves looked a handball but he didn't mean it.

- Ferguson looked a handball but he didn't mean it.

No doubt the tims will froth at the mouth at that one, but the referee called them both wrong.

However, they balanced out, and at least McCurry was consistent with both decisions, something we've been crying out for from our referees for years.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Would Celtic have sold McGeady, or treated him in the manner that Rangers have treated Hutton?

They wouldnt have acted the same way, but there is a very good chance they would have sold him had an offer of £9million came in for him.

Rangers and Celtic arent in the position to turn that kind of money down for anyone.

Originally posted by Anton:

We turned down a reported 9mill bid for Brown from newcastle already this year.

Reported from who, The Daily Star? Tribalfootball? Doubt you'll find any respectable, verifiable source to that one.

When you run your team in the way we do, its not necessary to sell your best players to balance the books.

would rather have our wage bill compared to yours though, that must be getting a bit high now icon_cool.gif

I didnt mean you had to sell players to balance the books of course. You just let the debt run up for a few years then move it over to another part of murrays empire.

And we're well within budget wage wise, as will be seen when we make an operating profit again this year.

Originally posted by Anton:

We turned down a reported 9mill bid for Brown from newcastle already this year.

When you run your team in the way we do, its not necessary to sell your best players to balance the books.

I don't believe that you did. That was purely paper talk.

• SI Staff

That was a bit of a pish game last night. Seemed to be played in slow motion or something.

Handballs all over the place and a good finish from Barry. Thought it was going to be chopped off but who cares now icon_biggrin.gif

And of course greetin faced Stevie *****bag Frail decided that the Barry handball 'changed' the game, forgetting conveniently at least two other claims for a penalty from our point of view which would have made that irrelevant. Makes me happy to see that wee git cry.

What about this last night from Celtic's new loan signing...?

What a header!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3kCcEmbseiI

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Gahahaha icon_biggrin.gif

Despite the way you may have gone about it, I've gotta say well done to Hutton and Rangers.

When I saw him a while back I was pretty certain he'd go the way of Malcolm and Ross and fade away into obscurity, but to earn himself a £9million move to the Premiership is unbelievable.

I hope he does well, always do when Old Firm players move to England, and continues to improve for Scotland aswell.

not quite sure where it's come from but I've got a bit of confidence that we're going to put you out on Sunday. Not quite a repeat of the 2nd Ibrox cuffing a couple of years back but I just feel we could do the businiess. It can't be as bad as a few weeks ago when you somehow contrived to only beat the worst Hibs performance I've seen in donkeys 2-1.

Anyway 4/1 and they've been stuck in my wee side bet. Mon the Hibees.

If anyone can find this seasons Hibs/Hearts thread I'd be thankful btw.

Forgot to mention Brahim Hemdani:

His composure, awareness, anticipation and general recycling of possession are second to none. An absolute joy to watch and makes the game look so simple at times. What a player!

Thought the same, shocked he wasn't MOTM

Originally posted by Jorg:

Quedrue linked as well, I quite like him. icon14.gif

Scratch that, he seems to have linked himself. icon_confused.gif

Queudrue would jump at Gers switch

Birmingham defender Franck Queudrue has revealed he would jump at the chance of a deadline-day move to Rangers if Walter Smith is interested.

Scotland internationals Christian Dailly and Neil Alexander both agreed to join the SPL leaders on Wednesday, and Smith is expected to be active again on the final day of the mid-season transfer market.

Queudrue, 29, moved to Birmingham in August and has not been a regular - although he was part of the team beaten 2-0 by Sunderland on Tuesday.

The arrival of left-back David Murphy from Hibernian could threaten Queudrue's status as a regular starter for the Premier League side.

And despite Rangers giving no indication he is a target, Queudrue has admitted he would love a switch.

"Some clubs can't be snubbed, and Rangers are one of those," he told Setanta.

"I haven't received any concrete offer from them, but everything can be done very quickly before the market closes.

"Playing there would be a superb option, because they are a very big club. I could play Champions League for them, which would be fantastic.

"Birmingham have signed a new left back, so I don't know what they are planning to do."

Seems to be a bit of confusion about the fee.

As Stephen says he's co-owned and some people seem to think the fee will actually be around £3million with the rest on his contract.

To be honest, while there seems no doubt Bain is in Italy, I'd be surprised if we changed our wage structure to accommodate a player that, while interesting, is hardly club future changing.

Smith has made some good signings from Italy in the past though so I'll trust his judgement. Davies signing is also pretty positive although I'm never a huge fan of loan deals.

Archived