The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• SI Staff

Probably none of the Old Firm. Might be Murphy to Birmingham icon_wink.gif

Anyway, the UEFA Cup group stage finished tonight and we have a list of possible opponents in tomorrow's draw.

Nurnberg (Germany)

Panathinaikos (Greece)

Fiorentina (Italy)

FC Basel (Switzerland)

Spartak Moscow (Russia)

Braga (Portugal)

Tottenham (England)

Helsingborg (Sweden)

Probably would want to avoid Fiorentina, a trip to Russia and Tottenham are likely to strengthen a lot in January. Nurnberg would possibly bring in a bit of TV money and a game against Helsingborg would be interesting, although "they" would be frothing at the mouth at the prospect of Larsson coming back to Glasgow, and he'd probably score anyway icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

From the PoV of 'excitement' only Fiore would be reasonably interesting and probably the toughest draw. Should easily beat anyone else or we may as well just not bother.

I can't agree with that, I don't think we would easily beat Spurs or Spartak Moscow.

Originally posted by Jorg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

From the PoV of 'excitement' only Fiore would be reasonably interesting and probably the toughest draw. Should easily beat anyone else or we may as well just not bother.

I can't agree with that, I don't think we would easily beat Spurs or Spartak Moscow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Course we would.

Looks like a great chance to reach the Quarters tbh.

Watch us blow it - again.

• SI Staff

Panathinaikos are currently undefeated at home all season and in their UEFA Cup group beat Aberdeen 3-0 at home, Copenhagen 1-0 away, Lokomotiv 2-0 at home and lost to a last minute goal 2-1 away at Atletico Madrid.

Not a bad side.

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

I like Nacho. He is limited in his abilty sure but he certainly hasn't been our worst player over the years.

That shouldnt mean that we should all be delighted with him resigning, i dont think we can seriously move forward with signings like Novo

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

I like Nacho. He is limited in his abilty sure but he certainly hasn't been our worst player over the years.

That shouldnt mean that we should all be delighted with him resigning, i dont think we can seriously move forward with signings like Novo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry I think you're talking bollox. Nacho Novo is not the most gifted player in the world, but he plays with his heart, just like Amoruso before him. I would rather have these players any day than a bunch of overrated money grabbing bastards (Cousin) who don't give a damn about the club.

• SI Staff

What Peacemaker7 said. Nacho Novo is setting a great example on how to behave at a football club. He has sat tight and waited patiently and taken his chances when they have come his way without grumbling about it or running greeting to the press.

He did it with Le Guen and he did it with Smith and he's fully deserved his new deal. Not the kind of player who will let you down and a tremendous option to have at the club.

He's not exactly old either.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

That shouldnt mean that we should all be delighted with him resigning, i dont think we can seriously move forward with signings like Novo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry I think you're talking bollox. Nacho Novo is not the most gifted player in the world, but he plays with his heart, just like Amoruso before him. I would rather have these players any day than a bunch of overrated money grabbing bastards (Cousin) who don't give a damn about the club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nacho Novo is not a good footballer, yes he give his all but so did Boab Malcolm, do you want him back at ibrox?

Anyway, timmy has just dropped another point, win our three in hand and the OF game and we go 9 points clear.

Lets go boys, you dont need any more of an incentive than that.

Surely six points clear? Three behind atm with three games in hand. We should beat Gretna and St Midden but the sheep will prove tough tomorrow, as always.

When Collins left I thought this game had 1-1 written all over it. Rumbles were a fair few player were unhappy there with him plus Celtic are leaking goals and I think every club in Scotland thinks they have a good chance of hitting the back of the net laying them.

Fingers crossed we can take advantage.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

Anyway, timmy has just dropped another point, win our three in hand and the OF game and we go 9 points clear.

Surely six points clear? Three behind atm with three games in hand. We should beat Gretna and St Midden but the sheep will prove tough tomorrow, as always. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said if we win our 3 games in hand and the OF game then we go 9 clear. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Surely six points clear? Three behind atm with three games in hand. We should beat Gretna and St Midden but the sheep will prove tough tomorrow, as always. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said if we win our 3 games in hand and the OF game then we go 9 clear. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah yeah so you did. Erm, yeah thats right icon_wink.gif

As much as these 4 games in hand and potential 6 point difference is great, I think we're still a wee bit away from the consistency required ourselves to really think any gap means too much at this stage...

Let's hope the team/club/fans take confidence from others faltering and grab the chance to create a wee gap at the top of the table.

icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff

Yeah, this is the time to stand up and be counted. A win against Aberdeen tomorrow and if we could follow that up with wins against Motherwell and Hibernian then we would be in a good position going into the Old Firm game at the start of January. Going to be tough though but these are the games we need to win if we're going to be Champions.

They have a difficult away game on Boxing Day as well.

Smith set to rotate Gers squad

Rangers manager Walter Smith is ready to plunge fringe players into key matches as his side approach a crucial run of six games in 17 days.

The hectic sequence of Scottish Premier League matches could make or break Rangers' chances of dethroning champions Celtic.

However, Smith believes his squad possesses the required depth to handle the rigorous schedule, and with the likes of Chris Burke, Ugo Ehiogu, Thomas Buffel and Alan Gow waiting in the wings, Rangers appear well equipped.

Smith seems certain to field his first-choice line-up at Aberdeen on Sunday, and also in the Old Firm clash with Celtic on January 2.

But the man who returned to Ibrox at the start of the year recognises the physical demands of playing so many games in a short space of time.

And he seems certain to use Rangers' large pool of players if there is any hint of the games taking a heavy toll.

"We'll probably have to," Smith said.

"We've got this amount of matches coming in a short space of time.

"If you look at our international players, they've actually been playing and doing very little training between (matches) already this season.

"If you take into account Champions League and international games and League Cup games, it's just stretching on a bit longer than it normally does for them.

"You take account of that in terms of the amount of training they do, so I don't think it should have any ill-effect on them.

"The injury situation is possibly the one - when you play more games, the more likely you are to get an injury and the more necessary it will be to use our full squad."

As well as the Dons clash, and the short trip to Celtic, Rangers will face Motherwell, Hibernian, Dundee United and St Mirren in the coming two and a half weeks.

Smith's prime target is the SPL title, and he signed up Nacho Novo for an additional two years yesterday, until the end of the 2009-10 season.

The 28-year-old striker will have a part to play in the second half of the season, even if it is in the super-sub role he would dearly love to trade in for a regular start.

A shoulder injury keeps Novo sidelined for the Aberdeen clash, but the Spaniard expects the Dons to pose Rangers a major test, three days after Jimmy Calderwood's side pummelled FC Copenhagen 4-0 to reach the knock-out stages of the UEFA Cup.

"It's a very strong team," Novo said of the Dons. "And it's good they have a win for Scottish football. This will be a tough game."

While the Pittodrie outfit were handed a glamour tie against Bayern Munich in the last 32 of the UEFA Cup, Rangers must face Panathinaikos, the Greek side who thrashed Aberdeen 3-0 earlier in the season.

It will be Rangers' first European assignment since defeat to Lyon destroyed their Champions League ambitions.

However, Novo sees the Scots as serious contenders for the UEFA Cup.

"In the Champions League we were playing against top teams like Barcelona, Lyon and Stuttgart, and we got good results," he said.

"New players have come in and done really well. All the time, it's getting better and better.

"I think there has been a lot of improvement since the gaffer came here.

"It's not going to be easy but there's a bigger squad here and I think we can do really well."

Hopefully the fringe players will be up for the challenge but I have my doubts. We have lost at Hearts and Dundee Utd doing the same thing, luckily it doesn't mention Faye in the article but he will probably make an appearance.

I don't know how everyone feels about it but with such an important period coming up I would rather see the strongest line-up possible, especially for the next four games.

team today:

McGregor

Hutton Weir Cuellar Whittaker

Naismith Ferguson Thomson Adam McCulloch

Cousin

4-5-1 against the sheep, despite the fact that 4-4-2 has been suiting us recently icon_cool.gif anyway, we need to take advantage here, hopefully a couple of early goals like last year would quiet up the "once a year Dons" at the game today icon14.gif

would still rather be playing 4-4-2 with Boyd and Naismith upfront though, Cousin just an enigma icon_frown.gif

So will you guys give us any trouble in the UEFA Cup? I have't watched Rangers since the days of Kyrgiakos, have you got any better?

We are a good team (Panathinaikos) and I reckon Salpiggidis could give you a lot of trouble (provided that you still have big defenders who cant turn quickly)

Archived