The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

There was a fair bit about us in the Sunday papers regarding players out the door in January.

Kris Boyd (Birmingham)

Daniel Cousin (Middlesbrough) - £3m

Sasa Papac (St Etienne) - £750k

Thomas Buffel (Anderlecht) - £1m

Chris Burke (Clyde) - Loan

Brahim Hemdani (Reading) - £2m

Selling all those would probably raise over £10m, and if we were to get £8m for Hutton in January we would have a fair bit of money to spend on a few new players. We'd definitely need another striker if Boyd was to go, and a left back is badly needed too. Central midfield cover as well.

I'm hoping Walter keeps the main players here, but I do see a bit of another re-build going on in the summer as I do see the likes of Cousin, Papac, Buffel, Novo, Burke and Hemdani leaving be it new year or in the summer.

I'd also personally ship out JCD, can't fault his effort but he's not getting any younger, finishing hasn't been up to that much and recently very injury prone.

Doubt we'd get £3million for Cousin now... icon_frown.gif

Would keep Papac and while Boyd/Hemdani obviously have their positives, if Smith isn't going to play them regularly, I'd be happy enough to move them on IF the money is correct.

JCD has to stay, as despite his injury proneness, the effect on the team when he does play is profound.

Interesting to hear 'Irishman' Aiden McGeady will miss the OF game next month due to suspension. Alan Hutton canow fit his wallet and keys in his pocket... icon_wink.gif

• SI Staff
Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Selling Papac is madness. The rest on Ter's list can go.

I wouldn't say it's madness, but if Papac goes then we have to bring in a good quality left back to replace him as I doubt Steven Smith will be back this season and certainly won't be ready for first team action.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ATW:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thank **** for McCulloch

Hmm... awful signing though wasn't he icon14.gificon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

McCulloch was atrocious at the weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the sign of a World Class player that. Being atrocious (not poor but astrocious) and scoring two goals... shame he cannot get the full package as he hasn't mastered diving yet. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

I wouldn't say it's madness, but if Papac goes then we have to bring in a good quality left back to replace him as I doubt Steven Smith will be back this season and certainly won't be ready for first team action. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well it it madness since we don't have a recognised left back to replace him

Originally posted by Gudge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

I wouldn't say it's madness, but if Papac goes then we have to bring in a good quality left back to replace him as I doubt Steven Smith will be back this season and certainly won't be ready for first team action. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well it it madness since we don't have a recognised left back to replace him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's madness because Papac is a perfectly decent left back who's done very little wrong in his Rangers career to date. Plus, he's also capable of filling in at centre back in a crisis, and every squad needs players like that - he wouldn't be a first pick in an ideal world, but he's more than good enough to turn to when you need him, as he's proven this season. He's rarely been as excellent as Hutton, but he's rarely been poor either - he's been an understated model of consistency. He's a very under-appreciated member of our squad.

i don't see how anybody would pay anywhere near £3m for cousin even without the recent problems, hes not been great, probably only had 2 or 3 good games

same with hutton, hes undoubtably a good player but last week showed that he still has a lot to learn defensively as he was caught out on a few occasions. wont be worth anything like that sort of money IMO, unless he sorts that out

and to the point mad earlier about mcgeady, didnt he skin hutton when he come on in the last OF game, after that hutton cleary annoyed by it then had a shocking 2 footed lunge of a tackle which he should have been off for icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

and to the point mad earlier about mcgeady, didnt he skin hutton when he come on in the last OF game, after that hutton cleary annoyed by it then had a shocking 2 footed lunge of a tackle which he should have been off for icon_smile.gif

Aye OK then... icon_biggrin.gif

I reckon if Cousin is interested inplaying for boro he'd be a good signing.

I still don't get what the problem with him is, we got him for 1 million he comes here for a year and has a good season and then moves on for 2-3 milion everyone is happy.

Just because he said he fancied a move people have wanted us to get rid, Hearts fans did'nt do the same to Larry Kingston, other supporters don't really act like that, why do we?

Its notas if we are a big club(finacially).

I see our old friend mr freelands awful refereeing done us a favour icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

He has had some competition but Freeland must be the worst ref I've seen at Ibrox for a long time - Charlie Richmond running him close... icon_wink.gif

Thought the Caley pen was quite soft (especially in comparison with the ones he refused us the other week) but if it's a pen, then Pressley had to walk. Glad he didn't though as his contribution after that was hardly first class... icon_wink.gif

All to play for as we head into the crucial Xmas period. One or two signings and we won't be far away...! icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tony_cfc:

Aye OK then... icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

silly me, of course mcgeady would have n chance against 'cafu' icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gudge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

well it it madness since we don't have a recognised left back to replace him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's madness because Papac is a perfectly decent left back who's done very little wrong in his Rangers career to date. Plus, he's also capable of filling in at centre back in a crisis, and every squad needs players like that - he wouldn't be a first pick in an ideal world, but he's more than good enough to turn to when you need him, as he's proven this season. He's rarely been as excellent as Hutton, but he's rarely been poor either - he's been an understated model of consistency. He's a very under-appreciated member of our squad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i couldnt agree more. i actually quite like papac and would be a real shame to see him leave. hes a steady player who can play two positions and the flack he gets is very unjust imo.

Papac should stay, can play left back and centre back icon14.gif

Boyd I would keep - unless we are talking about big money here

Cousin - if we got £3m, I'd probably pish myself at Boro tbh icon_biggrin.gif

Buffel - can go away, been playing hide and seek for years

Burke - loan might be a good move, one of those who thought he had made it and he certainly hasn't

Hemdani - don't really want to see him go as he's the best passer we have, but I can't see anything else other than a Premiership move

Hutton - if we could get big money, then I guess we could use Whittaker as an able replacement

silly me, of course mcgeady would have n chance against 'cafu' icon_wink.gif

Well other than this one alleged time he skinned him in the last game, all the recent evidence points to Hutton dealing admirably with the danger of McGeady previously. Hence my point about Hutton having him in his pocket.

It was a light-hearted bit of banter. Maybe you'd be better sticking to your own thread if you can't cope with such stuff without resorting to imagined nonsense about annoyed right banks, 2-footed lunges and non-sending offs?

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tony_cfc:

silly me, of course mcgeady would have n chance against 'cafu' icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, McGeady has yet to appear in a OF game that Hutton plays, I'd take Hutton to have him in his pocket every time he plays against him.

P.s Hutton's was a great tackle that he won the ball in. If you want to see a poor two footed lunge take a look at McGeady's challange on Lee McCulloch.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

silly me, of course mcgeady would have n chance against 'cafu' icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, McGeady has yet to appear in a OF game that Hutton plays, I'd take Hutton to have him in his pocket every time he plays against him.

P.s Hutton's was a great tackle that he won the ball in. If you want to see a poor two footed lunge take a look at McGeady's challange on Lee McCulloch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

frankie, i think i realise that, that post isnt exactly serious is it icon_razz.gif

im sure the rules say you cant go straight through player with 2 footed tackles though icon_wink.gif

He has had some competition but Freeland must be the worst ref I've seen at Ibrox for a long time - Charlie Richmond running him close...

McDonald is worse! And shock horror we have him at the weekend... before we play Rangers. Expect a few suspensions for us (always happens) icon_frown.gif

We're catching the lot of you icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by kerrski:

Mcgeadinho - Borat - Nakamura all out for Celtic then ?

Heard some one say Broon9 might be suspended?

Thats a loss for Rangers, the only one that would do well is Borat, the rest have done nothing of note in any OF game so far.

Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

Voted for by fans?

How many txt's did followfollow message board users waste to vote? Unless your seriously trying to suggest fans from Italy, Spain, Brazil and Argentina were voting in their droves for him?

Pathetic really icon_biggrin.gif

YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Originally posted by Anton:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

Where's McGeadinho icon_eek.gif

Surely sum mistake?

Anyway, keep up the good work Hutton and you could very well get the move that you would deserve. icon14.gif

seriously? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Such a bland, plain and boring answer..... do you have a point to make?

Voted for by fans?

How many txt's did followfollow message board users waste to vote? Unless your seriously trying to suggest fans from Italy, Spain, Brazil and Argentina were voting in their droves for him?

Pathetic, but sill no Mcgeadinho, or Brown9.

Must have been an online technical fault. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anton:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

Surely sum mistake?

Anyway, keep up the good work Hutton and you could very well get the move that you would deserve. icon14.gif

Such a bland, plain and boring answer..... do you have a point to make? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just thought surely noone could be such an idiot. Overestimating people ftw icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Anton:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anton:

Surely sum mistake?

Such a bland, plain and boring answer..... do you have a point to make? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just thought surely noone could be such an idiot. Overestimating people ftw icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

overestimating yourself i think!

Anyway, back to the fitba...

There's a decent article in the Evening Times today about Murray Park and some of the players coming through.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.1915256...n_mint_condition.php

Its starting to come to frutition now. It was always going to take time to get it sorted, I just have my doubts that Smith will give any of these young lads a chance. Id rather see Lennon/Shinnie given the chance than bring in some over paid waster i.e Faye.

Voted for by fans?

could be said for the certain amount of polls Celtic have won online, for instance McGeady winning a CL goal of the month thing, Parkhead winning a "UK's favourite sporting venue" poll? (only has an atmosphere when Celtic are winning, similar to Rangers and Ibrox though) icon_frown.gif

Hutton shouldn't be there, but he is starting to gain admirers from big clubs which can only be good for us icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

Voted for by fans?

YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thought so.

Anyway, back to the fitba...

There's a decent article in the Evening Times today about Murray Park and some of the players coming through.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.1915256...n_mint_condition.php

Indeed - it is tiresome when the same tedious trolls attempt their usual brand of childish 'wit'... icon13.gif

For the youth system to bear fruit we need consistency in how it's managed (as well as regular investment). Hopefully with the current guys in charge we'll achieve that. Certainly the latest signs are very good.

Yeah get the odd bit of info from Murry park as a friend of the family grandson is there and signed for Rangers and it always sound promising. he. Think it hit home when they thrashed Celtic 5-0 and my neighbour was playing that night for Celtic, he even emitted there was a massive gulf that night.

Rangers have caught up and even passed Celtic now I would say, Celtic did not have the training facilities way back but had a really good crop of youngsters and set up which we did not have, that has changed big style with not only Scottish kids but from all over choosing to come to rangers and getting trained in the best facility in the country.

Archived