The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyJ:

Crazy by JCD

indeed, stupid idiot and getting applauded by the fans who are even more stupid for that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He will miss some Uefa Cup games now too? When is the draw icon_frown.gif

UEFA Cup run then for the Money then...one miss from 2 yrd ouch.... Wish we had Celtics luck that got them in.

They have class players that we just dont have in Scotland so fair play to them to come to Ibrox and win.

Originally posted by sav112:

UEFA Cup run then for the Money then...one miss from 2 yrd ouch.... Wish we had Celtics luck that got them in.

They have class players that we just dont have in Scotland so fair play to them to come to Ibrox and win.

Celtic never got lucky remember, they are genuinely a top 16 club in Europe icon14.gif despite having one of the worst away records in Europe currently of any team icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sav112:

Celtic never got lucky remember, they are genuinely a top 16 club in Europe icon14.gif despite having one of the worst away records in Europe currently of any team icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe if you'd won more than 4pts @ home you'd still be in the competition.

Originally posted by Jeebs:

Heh.

"We didn't get through so lets take the **** out of celtic."

The envyicon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

I was actually replying to certain comments made earlier in the evening, not having a go at Celtic fans who are okay icon14.gif

Originally posted by Jimbhoy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sav112:

Probably would have if we had an easier group. Lyon just too good tonight.

Celtic never got lucky remember, they are genuinely a top 16 club in Europe icon14.gif despite having one of the worst away records in Europe currently of any team icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe if you'd won more than 4pts @ home you'd still be in the competition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

Maybe if you'd won more than 4pts @ home you'd still be in the competition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably would have if we had an easier group. Lyon just too good tonight.

Originally posted by AndyJ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbhoy:

Probably would have if we had an easier group. Lyon just too good tonight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd disagree, Lyon were there for the taking, the goalie was rubbish but was never tested.

Tbf I know how gutted all the Rangers fans must be feeling, but Celtic will no doubt be knocked out next round and you could conceivably go on a decent run in the Uefa Cup.

Personally I'd blame your lack of match sharpness after not playing on the weekend icon_wink.gif

We should be doing better at Ibrox. Weir and Pap need replaced just to take us up a notch but that the fun of it. Even with us out I’ve enjoyed it after all we just wanted in to the CL a few month Back.

Were not in the last 16 from very strong group but we were there all the same playing in the CL…

i have to say i totally agree, you must win all your home games to stand any chance of progressing and we didnt do that.

What's with the constant jumps to "erghhhh but Celtic are rubbish away?" We're formidable at home. Never knew Rangers were powerhouses away from home anyway - whos have you beat away other than Lyon, and the away win is made pointless if they just do the same to you at Ibrox.

We are definitely getting stronger both side have performed well, but it must be great watching your world class sides like Man U, Barca, Ac Milan and Inter and even Sevilla this season who lets face it are in second gear for these rounds some of the time.

Wel the CL dream is over but in truth, the deficiencies of the side and the Scottish game, over the last 2 or 3 games have been exposed, so perhaps it is best to bow out now. At this level, endeavour, work rate, passion and tireless running are only part of the equation but so are class and technique, which is not there at the moment. For example, the standard of set plays, crosses and first touch tonight were dreadful

The lack of pace of the 2 DCs were exposed tonight, Hutton proved that he has come far this season but still has some way to go, the midfield is crying out for some creativity apart from Fergie and the strikeforce is not consistent enough. Thomson, Hutton and JCD were deservedly disciplined for their stupidity and showed their inexperience at this level.

If JCD had put away the chance in the second half, then it could and should have been different, but Lyon were streets ahead in terms of class.

Looking at the standard of the teams left in the Uefa Cup, they will do well to progress any further, but overall, the campaign cannot be classed as a failure and if it is looked on as a stepping stone to the future, then it has been of some success.

How far would Rangers have to get in the UEFA Cup to have coefficient points which would equate to getting knocked out in 1st Knockout Stage of UCL/Quarter Finals of UCL?

On the plus side, there is a chance that three Scottish teams could all be in Europe after Christmas, which is remarkable enough.

Just watching the highlights now. I have been stuck in a meeting all night so missed the game, probably a good thing after speaking to some of my mates.

Very disappointing first goal but to be fair to McGregor he has been very solid so far this season.

I had a feeling the class would tell but I am dreading seeing the Darcheville miss!

Gutted this morning...

Very poor first half display but we did a fair bit better as Lyon sat back. The comparisons to the game in France are obvious and I guess the game turned on JCD's miss.

Other than that we lacked creativity, our set-pieces were again embarrassingly bad and while we had plenty of possession we never really looked like scoring.

We can hold our heads high though after some decent performances in this very tough CL group. Shame we didn't go through but we can now have a real go at doing something in the consolation cup.

Vital now we lift ourselves for Saturday. Don't win then and we give Celtc a huge psychological boost in the SPL.

• SI Staff

I don't even think Lyon were that great last night. Was never a 3-0 win. If JCD had scored that goal then I think we would have gone through.

Was shocked to see Boyd coming on then the next second the ball was in the net wtf. A bit crap having 7 points after three games then putting the clown shoes on and screwing it up. At least we have the UEFA Cup, but we'll probably get Fiorentina or Villarreal knowing our luck.

I've slagged him a bit this season, but I thought Whittaker had a tremendous game and hopefully he'll step into Hutton's boots when he joins Man Utd on 3rd January.

• SI Staff
I'd disagree, Lyon were there for the taking, the goalie was rubbish but was never tested

I'd echo this. He was flapping and punching everything. I think if we had got the first goal we would have won or at the very least drawn that game, but we didn't test the keeper enough.

Lyon will be a team the top seeds will want to avoid in the next round as they are coming on a bit strong now after their early season clowning around.

Hopefully our young team will learn from this experience and come on stronger next season. 4-5-1 can rot off though.

And we had better not sell Boyd or sign Kenny Miller or I might actually smash something.

Well, dream over for another year thought that loss in Germany would get us un-stuck.

Mixed feelings like with Scotland, great we done so well after given no chance, yet still somewhat dissapointed after getting so far and not making it.

If we get past this round in the UEFA cup, then that'll be 3 years on the trot of making it to the last 16 in a euro competition, not to be snuffed at considering the circumstances. Hopefully by next year we'll have a bit more quality and expereince to go that little bit further.

You probably right Ter, its the whole notion of "you never know", and we were just a goal from making the Q-F last time around remember icon_frown.gif.

Either way, no Europe till 2008 time to focus on the league, (hopefully) strengthen in January and push the league all the way and get a good run in the UEFA cup.

• SI Staff

Strengthen? We're going to lose Hutton, probably Cousin and Buffel and possibly Boyd. I really hope we don't sell Boyd.

At least we would have over £10m from those sales to strengthen and we wouldn't need to replace Hutton as we already have Whittaker, which is presumably why we brought him in.

Need a left back though, Papac, after a good spell is getting worse again.

Archived