The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jorg:

I wonder if Walter will have a sleepless night picking his team for tomorrow.

A must win game to get back on track in the league, I fancy Boyd to start and grab a couple of goals.

I'd like to see JCD and Naismith up front tomorrow, sadly we wont see that,

• SI Staff
Originally posted by ibroxhero:

No Henry for the Barca game. We'll easily win now icon_biggrin.gif

I'd rather Henry played tbh. He doesn't fit in well to the system Barcelona play. It's like being a man down from the start.

Unless he has a moment of individual brilliance.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ibroxhero:

No Henry for the Barca game. We'll easily win now icon_biggrin.gif

I'd rather Henry played tbh. He doesn't fit in well to the system Barcelona play. It's like being a man down from the start.

Unless he has a moment of individual brilliance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Henry is playing tonight and has just scored so I would expect him to play against us.

Good win yesterday. Important to keep winning in the league as the Barca game takes care of itself.

Bit pedestrian after the early goal (a good move and finish actually) but when Cousin and JCD entered the fray the whole stadium got a lift and the pace of the game increased. After that we could easily have scored 6 or 7 but Caley could have had a couple as well on the break.

Hemdani was excellent as usual, Papac as offensively minded as I've ever seen him and wee Novo gave his usual energy. Beasley was perhaps our most dangerous player late on but he has to improve him final ball. Indeed, both his and Ferguson's set-pieces were nothing short of dreadful.

Onto Spain then and what a game it will be. They will be well up for it and we'll do well to get any kind of positive result.

• SI Staff

I watched the second half of the Barcelona game and they looked good as usual. We're going to have to work very hard to contain them, especially on such a massive pitch where the likes of Messi are going to get more space to run at our defence.

Assuming we want to play three in the centre of the park I'm not sure who we are going to play alongside Hemdani and Ferguson now that Thomson is suspended. I would maybe play McCulloch in the centre and put Darcheville wide left to help out Papac with Messi and have some pace and hard work down the left. Likewise, Novo on the left to get back and help out Hutton. Then Cousin the lone man up front.

Please please please please Walter don't play Faye.

Originally posted by FrazT:

Just watched the horror tackle on Brown in the Benfica game. I hope UEFA throw the book at him- reminded me of many of the tackles that Souness tried when he came to Scotland.

I agree, it was a shocker and would probably agree with Brown when he said the guy was trying to break his leg.

You don't want to see that and however frustrated a player gets in a game you just can't do that.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

3-0 Barca, just can't see us coming close to them tbh. Doesn't really matter anyway, it's the next two games that count.

What about us winning by the same scoreline as in Lyon? 499-1. icon_biggrin.gif

Whilst the expectations of the team have undoubtedly increased in Europe this year, I suspect that most supporters, if they are being honest, fear the worst for tonight and would be happy if the team escapes with pride intact. They have become hard to beat, but you feel that a quality team with so much possession will eventually break the defence down.

Originally posted by FrazT:

Whilst the expectations of the team have undoubtedly increased in Europe this year, I suspect that most supporters, if they are being honest, fear the worst for tonight and would be happy if the team escapes with pride intact. They have become hard to beat, but you feel that a quality team with so much possession will eventually break the defence down.

Fine summation.... icon14.gif

Yeah agree with Fraz. As long as we are not Besiktased icon_wink.gif then it will be fine. I seriously don't think we have any chance of taking anything from this match - but on the other hand, I don't think we'll lose by much more than three. I suppose a lot depends on when Barca score and what their attitude is and if our players can keep their heads up if we go behind early, which I think they can.

the bigger pitch is going to cause us problems with Messi and Ronaldinho having more space, at Ibrox Papac and Hutton were able to stop the attack from the wings, if we can somehow hold them and frustrate, then maybe

but I'd be happy with a small defeat, maybe 2-0 or so, although I was quite impressed with how Cousin played the lone striker role and he seemed to have the beating of their defence at times, Beasley will be able to use his pace to maybe give them problems as well

but a small loss would be fine to me as we still have the lead over Lyon whatever happens tonight in their game and if they beat Stuttgart, we are guaranteed that UEFA Cup place with 2 games to go which is nice

unlucky for McGregor as he made a good save from Ronaldinho, but Messi wouldn't miss from there

actually when we've been in posession we've looked able to keep a hold of the ball, but absolutely no attacking threat at all, no complaints about being 2-0 down although I wouldn't say we've been swamped or anything, similar game to the Ibrox one except they've got through - with a bit of luck or cheating on the part of the first, but meh

Archived