The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry that Hemdani will be missing tonight. He may not always get a game domestically, but there is little doubt that he shows his class in Europe and we will miss his ability to slow the game down and play some good passes. I suspect that Rangers' game will be 100mph and his influence will be missed.

Originally posted by TM:

Boruc is a clown who thinks he can become a "legend" with Celtic fans for not shaking our players' hands, trying to rill up our fans and basically talking rubbish about us in the paper - Henrik Larsson was able to become a legend with Celtic fans for scoring goals, setting up goals and generally being a good player and he had the respect of the SPL including Rangers fans, simply because he wasn't a clown and was professional in what he did.

Boruc will only be a legend with the dimwitted fans who see him doing this "act" and thinking he's loyal to the club, when he'd probably move if a club went for him. For our friend, "number theory" you can bring in the "blessing" thing if you want, but the main thing is the guy is a complete and utter fud who seems to start at any away ground with his gesturing and mouthing off to fans - usually when Celtic are losing as well.

Short memories haven't we?

Fair enough he should have shaken hands, but it's happened many times before, Barry Ferguson, Andy Goram, both Rangers "legends", and Nacho Novo himself have all done exactly the same thing. It's such a minor issue but when an easy target presents itself, much as Goram once did, then some people like to take their shot.

Originally posted by FrankJJ:

Short memories haven't we?

Haven't we all Frank? Only a couple of weeks ago, Celtic (and many Rangers) fans were calling for the return of capital punishment due to the dive of one player. Justifiable sure, but neglecting to remember the Olympic-standard exhibitions of Messers Petrov and Larsson, to name but two, in recent years.

Like everything associated with the Old Firm, it's an incident that will disappear as quickly as it has been blown up, but you cannot really blame us for having a grumble (and a laugh) about it at the time.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Why are we wasting time discussing some fat Polish no-mark when we've got the game of the season tonight?

Bring. It. On.

I can't wait. icon_biggrin.gif

indeed icon_biggrin.gif we will get turned over though icon_wink.gif

but should be great to see the class of players like Messi, Ronaldinho and Henry at Ibrox icon_cool.gif

The good thing about tonight's game is that we all expect to get humped so if it happens, we are not too disappointed as it was expected- if we get anything out of the game, it will be an enormous bonus. It is a perfect no pressure game.

good defensive performance, but we will get opened up at sometime, set ourselves out for a draw which is probably a silly thing to do against Barca

quite frustrating to see Cousin holding the ball up/flicking it on and then Novo and McCulloch being too deep to help him icon_frown.gif hardly anything sticking in midfield, but I guess you have to expect that against a team that loves the ball such as Barca

Originally posted by xnellyrx:

Alan Hutton looks really good after i've seen him over these past few weeks with Scotland etc. Does he have any weakness? could play at the highest level imo

His sliding tackles arn't that good. I don't see highest level but indeed a high one, top half of Premiership teams but never the top 4. Good player and had a beast of a game against us on Saturday.

Pretty as a witch's wart, but what a vital point that is, despite Lyon's win. Superb effort. I think anyone who remembers the dark days of WS's mid-90s Euro exploits can see how far he's matured tactically against technically superior sides. We gave them very little tonight.

Getting boring to say this now, but Cuellar, Hutton and Cousin were all pretty awesome. I really cannot see the former staying here in the long term, so we should all enjoy him while we can.

Hemdani's composure was missed badly, sure, Adam was pretty brutal at times and Ferguson wasn't much better to be fair although I thought Thomson did well in breaking up play and trying to retain possession.

Barca knocked the ball about well enough, Abidal was man of the match for me, great player, but they looked, um, ordinary up front, presumably missing Eto'o. Seemed quite happy with a draw, surprisingly.

that will do lads icon_cool.gif

2nd best but it is Barcelona so I'm not surprised, Cousin was immense tonight in that lone role, incredible the amount of times he'd hold the ball up and then even get past his man icon_cool.gif

Barca pretty much doing what is usual for those sort of teams when they play teams like us or Celtic, try to pass through instead of just having a go at us, and unfortunately for them it didn't work

defence was brilliant and the tactics were set up perfectly, Barca didn't really have a lot of clean chances but McGregor and his defence were there to mop up anything anyway icon_cool.gif

Cuellar, Hutton were indeed excellent. Cousin did his job superbly and I though Kevin Thomson also did well. Hell I thought the whole team did well and at the end there, did Barcelona deliberately not even try to score a late goal? I think so icon_wink.gif

Played off the park at times, if Barcelona don't win this CL then there is something wrong with football.

Great point, well done.

btw, dunno if it was just me, but did Ronaldinho remind anyone of an old whinging granny in the first half? (not so much in the 2nd as he wasn't really in it)

he had the head shawl so that was half of it, and he kept moaning to the ref at every opportunity, kept getting FKs that were nothing as well

BTW thought the ref was awful tonight, when are UEFA actually going to do something about these numpties.

terrible performance, but smaller teams like us don't get anything against big clubs like Barca icon_frown.gif

of course, we had all the decisions on Saturday icon14.gif

A very good point. Few scares but we played well all things considered. Our passing nearly un-done us at times though will have to be very careful of that in the next match.

Thought the ref was awful, pulled back play for nothing challenges and let play go on stonewall free kicks, no consistancy at all I'm just glad it didn't cost us.

Not pretty and definitely nervewracking but a terrific performance. Defence was superb again, well organised by Weir and Hutton was immense again. Thompson was especially good in these type of defensive games and I thought that Cousin's shift was tremendous in a very hard role. McGregor is also developing into a very good international keeper- remember the time not that long agao when PLG wanted to get rid of him and Papac?

Archived