The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by McD:

Haha, they aren't trying to suggest the Cousin challenge on McManus was deliberate are they?

tbh, half of the ones in the Celtic thread say McManus is pish icon_biggrin.gif

good to see he's aright though, as I said head knocks are something you don't like to see in football

Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

oh and what happened with Nakamura today... guy really is a passenger, offers absolutely nothing except in dead ball situations

Charlie Adam scored more FKs than him last year and got half of the praise icon_biggrin.gif

class FK/corner taker, good crosser but give him a physical game and he's got no chance. Always seems to get lost in OF games though

Thats cos Charlie didnt score against MAN UTD!!!!!

No doubting the guy is brilliant at set pieces but really doesn't seem to do anything else.

Was disappointed with Donati as well. How Riordan doesn't get on for them lot amazes me.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

WP wee Gordon, admitting his team were pish and were gubbed by a far superior side icon14.gif

Pleasant surprise also that Strachan said that what Boruc did wasnt good and there was no need for it.

Isnt it refreshing for once to hear a manager, any manager, say that his team were second best and not trying to find excuses.

Hutton and Adam icon14.gif

Just shows you that the back room staff are winning.

Just got back in from talking to a mate in the street, Mad Celtic fan who was at the game. Great thing is he’s not one of those whinny looking to blame the ref kind of guys that we all know is just pathetic. He basically went through the Tic team and they were all crap as simple as, big enough to emit Ferguson owned the midfield and that he thought we had a goal chalked off and a pen turned down. He was more annoyed at Naka, he’s not a fan but how can you blame him when he does nothing in so many games……

Well, that was pretty good.

Excellent to see us be quicker, more physical and confident once again in Old Firm matches. We scored the goals at just the right times and although Celtic did have a few decent chances, I feel we deserved the win.

Barry Ferguson was quite simply magnificent and he was joined by McGregor, Hutton, Thomson and Cuellar (what a player!) at the top of their form. The rest of the team also played very well and all can be happy with their contributions.

Now, please can we find this level of performance every week and find some consistency to match the quality we do obviously have.

icon_smile.gif

thing that I fear is we have Dundee Utd away next week icon_frown.gif

as much as it's nice to beat Celtic and whatever happens against Barecelona which is a bonus if we do anything there - if we want to win leagues, winning games away at Tannadice are paramount to that

unfortunately these are the sort of places we've came unstuck in the last few years so hopefully we don't fall into the trap. Dundee Utd are in good form at the moment, 4th and got a great 3-1 win away to Hearts today so they will certainly be up for it

The players need to treat every match as if it was a Cup Final tbh. Yesterday was magnificent, it's the first (meaningful) Old Firm match in many a long time where I really didn't feel at any point as if Celtic were going to win. They just seemed to lack something, and we totally outfought and outplayed them all over the park, it was a joy to behold.

But as everyone agrees it will become a meaningless result if we don't go out hammer Dundee United next week and keep up with that level of peformance. I think as well it will help if Walter keeps a level of consistency in team selection, and although 4-5-1 works at time, he needs to be a lot more positive in about 90% of the games.

As to Barcelona, well honestly I can't see us take anything from these games and it will be important just for the players to get through them without too much of a beating.

Great result from the lads, and most importantly the performance, Celtic were outfought for the game and we deserved it 100%.

The Ref had a stinker so thank god he cant have many years left on the rota.

Ferguson was awesome, he was everywhere, the celtic midfield had no answer, could'nt get near the boy, and he was supported well by Thommo in midfield.

Novo looked rusty throughout the game but that was to be expected as he had'nt played at all recently, took his goal well though.

Got to laugh at the celtc fans laughing at hutton when he fell before getting up and crossing the ball though for 1st goal, hahaha GIRUY timmy.

Got to love at the usual hypocricy comming out of the Brendanbau, when Dida was acting like a wally and the fan came on and attacked him it shouldn't have happened but then the blame al goes on Dida who shouldn't have been acting the fud.

Yet Mr Borat acts like a wally week in week out and has yet to be attacked by any supporters of any other club dispite continued provocitation.

Well done to the real football fans for behaving accordingly.

3-0, outgunned, outclassed and out of ideas.

• SI Staff
Novo looked rusty throughout the game but that was to be expected as he had'nt played at all recently, took his goal well though.

I've been reading some reports this morning and comments on other websites and some have been suggesting he had a great game and could have been man of the match. What game were they watching? Scoring a good goal and a penalty doesn't make you man of the match. Overall Novo was a bit poor yesterday. He lost the ball far too often and couldn't really get going. He surely now deserves a wee run in the team. He's scored goals whenever he's been needed and just needs that extra sharpness.

Really looking forward to Tuesday. If we get a win then we can qualify in the Nou Camp, haha! icon_biggrin.gif

AAAAAAaaaaa the enjoyment of the Sunday papers after an old firm win….the idea here is to get a nice quiet part of the house and a wee snack and cup of coffee or tea and just slowly soak up all the mad Media reports. icon_cool.gif

Oh and the guess work of the back page title……before you see it. icon_rolleyes.gif

I’ll going with something with Novo, or Baz .

Originally posted by Vidmar14:

Got to laugh at the celtc fans laughing at hutton when he fell before getting up and crossing the ball though for 1st goal, hahaha GIRUY timmy.

haha icon_biggrin.gif

My favourite bit was the 20+ passes we strung together near full time, each one cheered, ending up with Ferguson ghosting past someone (Caldwell?) at the far corner, being hauled back and getting up with the grin of a ten-year-old laddie. Control.

Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar14:

haha icon_biggrin.gif

My favourite bit was the 20+ passes we strung together near full time, each one cheered, ending up with Ferguson ghosting past someone (Caldwell?) at the far corner, being hauled back and getting up with the grin of a ten-year-old laddie. Control. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Him and Big Lee both had massive cheesers at that point icon_biggrin.gif

Loving it

easy \0/ easy \0/ easy \0/

Originally posted by Ter:

Probably because he was our 12th man. Apparently.

Always laugh at that one, because Celtic don’t get any breaks off Ref’s….Aye right! At least when someone comments like that you can then go on and ignore them and thee views as drivel …..

And the Ibrox faithful getting praise I read for there conduct with regards to chants and singing………mind that all in the past a bit…..

Just seen the highlights and I wonder how important McGregor's save from McDonald's overhead kick was to the outcome. He also had a couple of other great saves from Jarosic and Donati and certainly the highlights didnt show any other saves from Boruc

I quite fancy you against Barcelona tomorrow.

What will the line-up be, do you reckon? anything like this?

Hutton Cuellar Weir Papac

McCulloch Ferguson Thomson Adam

Cousin Novo

Darcheville and Hemdani are apparently out. Do you think Beasley will start, and if so who might he replace? Reckon Boyd has got a chance of starting? Would Cousin be more likely to be replaced, since Novo scored 2 against Celtic? Whittaker in contention? Any reason why Thomson might not play? Reuters' predicted line-up has him out of the team.

Many questions.

Unless injured, Thomson will definitely play. Can't afford to lose him and Hemdani. Cousin will play up front on his own, Novo might drop back like Saturday or be replaced by Beasely as against Lyon. Only other option is Faye coming into the cenre in place of Adam, but I doubt that.

--------------Mcgregor-------------

Hutton--------Weir--Cuellar--------Papac

----------------Thomson-----------------

Beasley-------Adam----Ferguson-------Mculloch

------------------Cousin--------------------

Thats my guess. Novo may start infront of beasley but doubt it.

Originally posted by kerrski:

--------------Mcgregor-------------

Hutton--------Weir--Cuellar--------Papac

----------------Thomson-----------------

Beasley-------Adam----Ferguson-------Mculloch

------------------Cousin--------------------

Thats my guess. Novo may start infront of beasley but doubt it.

I think you've got it spot on, I feel we have a chance to get something, however if we dont I wont be too upset.

• SI Staff
Text is suggesting that Beasley will play up front on his own which, if true, is completeley unbelievable

Why? Barcelona are prone to being caught on the counter-attack and with the players they have and the way they play it's not exactly that unbelievable. Beasley will play right on the last defender and look to use his pace to get himself through on goal like he did against Lyon. I'm sure our midfielders will be looking to get the ball over the top for him when Barca push forward. If McCulloch plays as well then that leaves him as the target man with Beasley playing off him. Hopefully Novo will then play on the right and give us some pace and hard work down that side.

Rangers absolutely hammered us on Saturday.. it should of been 5-0 with the McCulloch goal which was NEVER offisde and the blatant handball by Caldwell, but 9 yellow cards and 3 for Rangers? There was no need for ANY of the cards. I never saw a bad tackle in the game apart from the McGeady (his first tackle) and Cousin straight after the McManus incident (in which Cousin won the ball fairly) when he went flying into O'Dea this time. Well played to Rangers though, they deserved it.

But whos top of the league? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Number 7:

But whos top of the league? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

For the time being, with that shower you call players icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shower? I'd call it a Hurricane of players.. when they are not playing Rangers. icon_biggrin.gif

Why? Barcelona are prone to being caught on the counter-attack and with the players they have and the way they play it's not exactly that unbelievable. Beasley will play right on the last defender and look to use his pace to get himself through on goal like he did against Lyon. I'm sure our midfielders will be looking to get the ball over the top for him when Barca push forward. If McCulloch plays as well then that leaves him as the target man with Beasley playing off him. Hopefully Novo will then play on the right and give us some pace and hard work down that side.

See what you're saying, but I'd still rather have the physicality, link-up and keen eye for goal Cousin gives us right up top, with Beasley or Novo's pace supporting. Cousin's also more of a set-piece threat which may prove important. Think it would be a mistake leaving him out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">best bit about that was it made the ref laugh too

Probably because he was our 12th man. Apparently. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some 12th man, denying us a stonewall penalty and wrongly disallowing a goal for offside...

The whole Celtic mentality is summed up nicely by Boruc: Thats ok Boruc, we don't like you either, but at least our players have the goodwill to offer their handshakes at the end - it's called sportsmanship, something your club and its 'supporters' clearly lacks. Guy is clearly insane tbh.

"Do i have to shake hands with players after every game? No, especially against them (Rangers). I dont have to like them... i dont like them, thats it. I dont like this club, players - end of. "

"Rangers players were winding us up at every opportunity, they were giving us abuse that was hard to take, really. They were also kicking us out of the park, but referee didnt react to be honest. Thats a shame. Then, after all this incidents, they are coming to me and the rest of my team-mates to "shake hands"... dear, oh dear. They shouldnt do it if they have any pride left in them."

Boruc is a clown who thinks he can become a "legend" with Celtic fans for not shaking our players' hands, trying to rill up our fans and basically talking rubbish about us in the paper - Henrik Larsson was able to become a legend with Celtic fans for scoring goals, setting up goals and generally being a good player and he had the respect of the SPL including Rangers fans, simply because he wasn't a clown and was professional in what he did.

Boruc will only be a legend with the dimwitted fans who see him doing this "act" and thinking he's loyal to the club, when he'd probably move if a club went for him. For our friend, "number theory" you can bring in the "blessing" thing if you want, but the main thing is the guy is a complete and utter fud who seems to start at any away ground with his gesturing and mouthing off to fans - usually when Celtic are losing as well.

Actually thats a good point about Larsson, he was not only a highly talented player - and people can spout whatever crap they like about it 'only' being in Scotland - but Larsson at least showed he was loyal to the club by staying for so long when he could easily have take much more money moving elsewhere. And at least he knew how to be sporting.

Archived