The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jambo4eva:

I can't understand what Rangers are doing in the transfer market.

Aye, pity we just don't seem to possess the same transfer acumen or clout that we're all seeing at Tynecastle. icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

Originally posted by BlacKouT:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jambo4eva:

http://fotball.aftenbladet.no/eliteserien/article110365.ece

this confirms Velicka coming over for talks I think icon_biggrin.gif

It does. Seems like a good deal for Viking as hes looked quite 'meh'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has it been confirmed by anyone official in the article?

Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jambo4eva:

Aye, pity we just don't seem to possess the same transfer acumen or clout that we're all seeing at Tynecastle. icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont think he was having a dig. Hell must of us dont have a clue whats going on icon_biggrin.gif

Webster?

Miller?

Velicka?

Not exactly breathtaking or gonna help us progress in Europe.

Just messing around with him.

We all want better but the signings so far haven't been the ABSOLUTE MADNESS they're being made out. Is also, like, two months before the window ends so I'll reserve my hysteria until then.

Just messing around with him.

We all want better but the signings so far haven't been the ABSOLUTE MADNESS they're being made out. Is also, like, two months before the window ends so I'll reserve my hysteria until then.

Amen brother...

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

Aye, pity we just don't seem to possess the same transfer acumen or clout that we're all seeing at Tynecastle. icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont think he was having a dig. Hell must of us dont have a clue whats going on icon_biggrin.gif

Webster?

Miller?

Velicka?

Not exactly breathtaking or gonna help us progress in Europe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whats happening with JCD?

I think Boyd is far better than Velicka but are similar types of players (i.e goalscorer) so I see it as a pointless signing. Andy has just had another operation and has no idea when he is going to be fit again, I'm really glad he has finally signed up as him and his family are settled in glasgow and didnt really want to be moving back down to England.

Maybe you will spend big on getting a creative central midfielder to play along side Ferguson.

p.s. Hearts look like they are appointing Vladamir Weiss(from what I hear), He is the one that beat Celtic 5-0 with Artmedia icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BlacKouT:

It does. Seems like a good deal for Viking as hes looked quite 'meh'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has it been confirmed by anyone official in the article? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Østenstad says theres a good dialouge with Rangers and that theres a god chance that they will get an agreement done. And that Viking already is looking for a replacement.

Originally posted by BlacKouT:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BlacKouT:

Has it been confirmed by anyone official in the article? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Østenstad says theres a good dialouge with Rangers and that theres a god chance that they will get an agreement done. And that Viking already is looking for a replacement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cheers icon14.gif

KM might well fit the 451 better than some people give him credit for, Smith knows what he's getting and what he can do in that formation, the question is will the fans put up with the negative style for another season or will he get it to work more positively than for a lot of last.

Oh, and thanks for the £400k. icon14.gif

I can't believe we could be spending almost £10M and bring in no one of decent quality (if we sign Davis)

Misser £2M

Davis £3M

Webster £500kish

Velicka £1M

Kyle Lafferty £2.5/3M.

I am seriously worried about our great club if we are spending our cash like this, Walter is taking a huge risk with his signings, and I reckon if he doesn't win the league this season, it will be his last in charge of Rangers unless someone with quality (who is good with the ball at his feet to kill this long ball sh*te that he seems to have felt we need to play. Couple that with interest in Thomson, Cuellar and McGregor, I am anything but optimistic of Season 08/09.

Rangers FC, 2 steps forwards, 4 steps backwards! icon_frown.gif

Just been browsing the transfer rumours pages on the net, and i know most of them are just crap but the name Milan Purović of Sporting keeps popping up. He any good? Is he the style of player we need or just another donkey?

Purovic was linked with us in the papers yesterda, your guess if he's good or not is as good as mine though

6"4 and 23 years old, doesn't really sound like Walter's sort of player, especially the age. FF was a complete disgrace at times today. Yeah I'm not happy at the idea of signing Miller and I've said it myself that Walter might be digging a hole for himself with it - however some of the posts over there were saying he should be sacked and Ally should join him icon14.gif

yeah lets get rid of somebody who has dragged us back from a complete utter disaster under Le Guen, made us a competitive team on all levels and got us to our first European Final in 36 years. Complete and utter fools live on that forums icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by McNeil:

I can't believe we could be spending almost £10M and bring in no one of decent quality (if we sign Davis)

Misser £2M

Davis £3M

Webster £500kish

Velicka £1M

Kyle Lafferty £2.5/3M.

I am seriously worried about our great club if we are spending our cash like this, Walter is taking a huge risk with his signings, and I reckon if he doesn't win the league this season, it will be his last in charge of Rangers unless someone with quality (who is good with the ball at his feet to kill this long ball sh*te that he seems to have felt we need to play. Couple that with interest in Thomson, Cuellar and McGregor, I am anything but optimistic of Season 08/09.

Rangers FC, 2 steps forwards, 4 steps backwards! icon_frown.gif

supposedly we have just had a bid rejected for Lafferty. I wish we would show some more ambition than that

Originally posted by TM:

Purovic was linked with us in the papers yesterda, your guess if he's good or not is as good as mine though

6"4 and 23 years old, doesn't really sound like Walter's sort of player, especially the age. FF was a complete disgrace at times today. Yeah I'm not happy at the idea of signing Miller and I've said it myself that Walter might be digging a hole for himself with it - however some of the posts over there were saying he should be sacked and Ally should join him icon14.gif

yeah lets get rid of somebody who has dragged us back from a complete utter disaster under Le Guen, made us a competitive team on all levels and got us to our first European Final in 36 years. Complete and utter fools live on that forums icon_rolleyes.gif

not happy with Miller icon14.gif

sack best manager weve had in years, if not history icon13.gif

sack future manager (and hes going to be great!) icon13.gif

FF posters speak poo icon14.gif

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Fuck off Miller and fuck off Smith.

Seeing the pictures of Miller holding the jersey on the official site are sickening.

I certainly won't forget or forgive the wee bastard.

I certainly hope that the vast majority of Rangers fans will have a more open minded approach to this signing than this. Sure, very few of us are keen on the signing BUT, if and when the boy pulls on the blue jersey, he is playing for the team and deserves the full support of all fans. If he doesnt produce the goods over a period of time, then the Manager and the player will get some deserved criticism, but till that time , pride should be swallowed and both of them get the full support of all fans.

Agree with FrazT, I'm not happy with this signing at all but at the end of the day Walter is in charge and he obviously thinks its going to benefit the team. If Kenny comes in and plays well then brilliant, if not then Walter will get stick and he will deserve it.

We just have to hope he actually does something useful.

Originally posted by YippeeKaeYay:

He looked pretty useful against us in the CIS Cup Final but then so did most players that day.

Where have you heard that rumour?

Usual place - sometimes accurate, sometimes not unfortunately...

Well I don't have a clue why he'd be a target unless Walter is continuing to focus on players who play well against us.

would continue the great work of our scouting "network" tbh icon14.gif

Also heard:

- JCD definitely on his way.

- Lovenkrands definitely not coming.

- Thomson wants new contract but no offers from other clubs yet.

- Cuellar apparently has a £10million minimum fee release clause but he doesn't want to go.

- McGregor could be signing for Spurs if clubs can agree a deal

Originally posted by Frankie:

What's yer thoughts on Dundee Utd's Morgaro Gomis lads....?

Intelligent wee player, great engine, good passer, very composed. Won't nab many goals, but someone I wouldn't be opposed to buying, esp if he's gonna cost a half of an EPL equivalent. Similar to Kevin Thomson in a way. I know a few United season ticket holders who say, other than Flood, he was head and shoulders above everyone else in their team last year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

What's yer thoughts on Dundee Utd's Morgaro Gomis lads....?

Intelligent wee player, great engine, good passer, very composed. Won't nab many goals, but someone I wouldn't be opposed to buying, esp if he's gonna cost a half of an EPL equivalent. Similar to Kevin Thomson in a way. I know a few United season ticket holders who say, other than Flood, he was head and shoulders above everyone else in their team last year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats someone id love to see at Ibrox. Really rate him

Must admit I'd liked the look of Gomis and Flood last season.

I guess if we did sign the former it would probably be as a swap deal with Gow and while I like the look of the lad, he's not exactly got the kind of top-level experience or genuine quality that's going to worry Celtic.

I wonder if we'd maybe play him at right back?

Gomis might be seen as a young, cheapish replacement for Hemdani? Presumably if we sign Davis, Gomis would have to work mighty hard to break into that midfield two/three on a regular basis anyway. He moved up from Cowdenbeath to United with hardly a bat of an eyelid, so I don't think he seems fazed by furthering himself.

United were speaking about not being able to afford the 250k to keep him, but there was also talk Cardiff would expect more now considering the season he's had. I think his contract's up at the end of next season, so I still don't think he'd be that expensive.

The Gersnet Gossip Mill Returns for the Summer

Written by The_Insider

Tennis, golf and RFC supporter group splits boring you? Time for The_Insider to tell you of the latest info he's heard regarding any comings and goings at the club. It's all good, clean fun so please don't get too excited (or more likely depressed) at the gossip we bring you in this light-hearted look through the transfer window...

As usual we'll start with the players Rangers are interested in. Despite downmarket red-tops claiming war-chests of £20million, the money currently available to Walter Smith is nowhere near that amount. As it stands, despite raking in around £30million last season (from Hutton/Europe) the manager only has £6million to play with – plus any income from players who do leave.

Kenny Miller has already arrived – much to the disappointment of many Rangers fans – so around £1.6million has already been spent. Because of this arrival Peter Løvenkrands will now definitely not be coming back to Ibrox. Not sure that will cheer up those of us still depressed at the return of Miller but I don’t think we’d have coped with two average ex-players coming back in one summer.

Moving on, as he was in January, Kyle Lafferty is still very much in Smith’s sights. Able to play wide or in attack, the big Northern Irish player may be beyond Rangers’ current budget though. Rangers have offered £2.2million but Burnley are holding out for around twice that fee – with Celtic and Wolves the other clubs seriously interested.

Rangers are also now monitoring the Dundee Utd midfielder Morgaro Gomis. The former Montpellier and Chelsea youth player has risen up the ranks quickly from spells in English lower league football before being signed by the Tayside club from Cowdenbeath. Impressive displays in three games against Rangers means the club may put in a modest offer for the Frenchman whose contract runs out next summer. Utd are also interested in a couple of Rangers fringe players so a swap deal may please both parties.

All the above are hardly rumours which will excite the support so the pressure will be on the club to move on as many fringe players as possible to maximise the budget available to the manager. Several players are available and, while the club don’t want to lose prize asset Carlos Cuellar, The_Insider has heard the Spaniard actually has a £10million release clause in his contract. The player himself doesn’t want to go but after the Hutton debacle, who knows what his future will hold.

Allan McGregor is another asset whose future is in doubt. Rumours have been abound for many months now that the Scotland international goalkeeper is interested in a move to Spurs. Gersnet’s information is that Smith will allow the keeper to leave for around £8million although Spurs prefer a stepped deal from around £5million.

Despite paper talk of interest from various English clubs in Kevin Thomson the club have not had any offers for the player. However, the lad is looking to sign a new, improved contract and who can blame him a considering he also did his skipper’s hard work for much of the campaign. Rangers would do well to instil a disciplinary clause into any negotiations and save themselves some money ahead of his inevitable bookings next season.

The strongest link out we have heard in recent days is that Jean-Claude Darcheville will be on his way in the summer. A £1.5million fee has been agreed with an as yet unnamed continental side so it appears the likeable French striker’s Rangers career has finally been hamstrung.

That’s all for this week, so if you can bear the excitement and tension, keep an eye on the site (and forum) for all the latest transfer gossip concerning the Rangers.

So Frankie or is it now The Insider icon_wink.gif

hes definately worth the 250k. Would love to have Walter email and tell him who to sign icon_biggrin.gif

Flood and Gomis the two from outside the OF i was most impressed with. Steve Fletcher and Porter from Motherwell were decent when i saw them aswell.

Still think we need to be signing non SPL players. It will cost more but its worth it, were not going to go any further with an SPL select.

Archived