The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TM:

King Carlos icon_cool.gif although I still don't trust Murray icon_mad.gif

and Keane is such a terrible manager, I actually thought he'd be a good manager with how used to organise stuff on the field for Man Utd etc, but he really is just terrible in choosing players icon_biggrin.gif Maloney is not worth £5m, absolutely no way and even I doubt he's a Premiership player either

Dont be an idiot, Sunderland couldnt buy a win IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP unbtil Keane took over, and subsequently took them to the premiership, and also survivial in it.

Keane has done an utterly brilliant job.

anybody who thinks Paul McShane is a Premiership defender is a manager who cannot judge - although he did buy Russell Anderson at the time as well and it was blatantly obvious that he's not Premiership quality either

Whats all that pish got to do with Rangers? This is the Rangers thread! I dont give a toss about keane. Can we get back to business! anyone kow about these french fullbacks? are they any good? are they better than what we've got?

• SI Staff

I see Gattuso has been talking about Rangers again, saying he has unfinished business at Ibrox.

A particular highlight of the article was this quote

“And Gascoigne, maybe not a role model, but he taught me how to drink two litres of beer in 10 minutes, that is not anything.â€

icon_biggrin.gif

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/06...s-at-Rangers-return/

“There was this French keeper, Charbonnier, who did horse racing,

I remember a bit in the Rangers season review video when Charbonnier was going on about drawing artistic pictures in his house for about 5 minutes icon_biggrin.gif

Rino will return when he's 34/35, ie finished unfortunately icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

STOKE WANT TO SIGN McCULLOCH \O/\O/\O/

Put a smile on my face icon_biggrin.gif

However, I doubt Walter will want to give up his 'muscle'. Lee has to rank as one of the most frustrating players to put on the jersey. All he ever does is lumber about looking for the next player to foul. It still angers me that a friend of mine thinks I should like him after thinking he looked good for Wigan.

I'll be more open to the idea of tolerating the Miller deal if he takes a significant pay cut. However, I can't see that happening to be honest. He must enjoy a challenge if he's desperate to come back and face the wratth of the fans?

• SI Staff

This morning's rumours

IN

Michael Mifsud - Coventry

Marlon Harewood - Aston Villa

Ivan Klasnic - Werder Bremen - Free

OUT

Allan McGregor - Spurs - £9m

Daniel Cousin - Stoke - £3m

• SI Staff

From such a good season it's all beginning to turn into a disaster with stories about our best performers maybe leaving (McGregor, Cuellar following Hutton) and us potentially signing dross like Kenny Miller on £20k per week.

*sighs* icon_frown.gif

• SI Staff

So who is going to be starting the new thread on 16th June when the fixtures are announced? icon_wink.gif

New season will be starting later than usual on August 9th as well icon_redface.gif

• SI Staff
Originally posted by Gudge:

who started the one the last time we won the league?

Me. But I've also started two where we didn't win the league icon_biggrin.gif

Pablo Aimar is for sale at £6million, why can't we get him? icon_frown.gif

I'd be happy to see Maloney or Faddy at Ibrox, but not Miller.

Can't Spurs now gtf? icon_mad.gif We surely made a huge chunk of money from this season's adventure and we've no chance of repeating it if we get shot of all the key guys that got us there and improve on where we're lacking.

David Edgar did well to be diplomatic about the Miller debate on Reporting Scotland. icon_biggrin.gif

I'd cream myself if we signed Faddy. I really would. I'd like to say the same about Maloney but doesn't he have a recurring injury problem? I could be terribly mistaken but he doesn't seem to manage to play 2/3 of a season.

Have we been linked to any centre backs other than Danny Shittu?

• SI Staff
Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So who is going to be starting the new thread on 16th June when the fixtures are announced?

The new fixtures are announced on Saturday 14th June according to our website. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.scotprem.com/

• SI Staff
Pablo Aimar is for sale at £6million, why can't we get him?

He's probably for sale at only £6m because he's on silly wages that we can't afford

Awesome...

I would hesitate to say that I rate Shittu a pretty solid player. Whenever I've seen him, he's been fairly competent and doesn't mess about at the back.

Harewood is another player who isn't an exciting signing whatsoever on paper but one who could run riot in the SPL should he hit a run of form.

Mind you, I think I said something similar about Franny Jeffers. icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi:

Pablo Aimar is for sale at £6million, why can't we get him? icon_frown.gif

Because we'd rather spend £4m on McCulloch and Miller.

Heartbreaking, isn't it?

I was maybe a bit kneejerk a couple of pages ago, but I will lose faith in Smith if Miller signs. If Smith can't find anyone better than Miller for £1.7m, then he is simply not the manager to take Rangers forward.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pablo Aimar is for sale at £6million, why can't we get him?

He's probably for sale at only £6m because he's on silly wages that we can't afford </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, would the combined wages of McCulloch and Miller be much more?

Aimar's probably on about £40k-£50k a week, which is easily affordable if we occasionally pushed the boat out for a "blue chip" signing, instead of wasting money on dross.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So who is going to be starting the new thread on 16th June when the fixtures are announced?

The new fixtures are announced on Saturday 14th June according to our website. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.scotprem.com/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh, I guess you're right then. Odd.

Originally posted by ATW:

Transfer Update... Motherwell chairmen, John Boyle has rejected a £1m bid from Rangers for central defender Mark Reynolds.

Rumour... This is at the request of Mark Reynolds

Actually heard about this last night but was told it was £800K.

I was told Reynolds had passed a medical and the only stumbling block to a move was the transfer fee but reports today say he's in Mexico on holiday so not sure when this would have been done (if at all). :/

Well the rumour I heard was we accepted £800K plus add ons but Reynolds refused to speak to Rangers (and before those not in the know (aka Celtic fans), it is not because he is a Celtic fan, as he is actually a Motherwell fan) as he thinks he has more to give Motherwell but according to the radio and the papers, £1m has been rejected.

So in other words, there was a bid but it has been rejected.

icon_biggrin.gif

Well according to Hugh Keevins McGhee had to tell him his dream move was dashed... where do these reporters get this crap fae? Although he was the same reporter that claimed McDonald's dream move was Hearts, Hibs, Rangers and Celtic... all in ten months icon_confused.gif

Mark Reynolds would be a good signing i think, but i don;t know where he would fit in, don't think he'd be a first choice at CB i expect we will bring AN other in for that role.

Really doesn't look like we'll sign anyone good this close season which is a worry.

If all we end up with is the Mark Reynolds and Kenny Millers of this world we will be in deep doodoo.

I think for around £1million Reynolds would be an excellent signing. He's left sided so can play centre-half or left-back (where he started his career apparently but ATW may correct me).

However, he is still very raw and I reckon we'd get the best out of Cuellar (if he stays) by having another experienced player alongside him as opposed to Reynolds. I actually think Shittu would be an interesting acquisition but again his top level experience isn't that great.

As always patience will be required and it may not be until we qualify for the CL (IF we qualify) that more funds for these 'quality' players are sanctioned.

A creative player or two must be top priority anyway.

Could it be the case that reynolds is taking into consideration that walter doesnt like youth? afterall he's in the first team at motherwell at 19 playing 35 games a season. he might feel that moving to us would hinder his career and he'll be stuck in the reserves until he's at least 33 or until motherwell value him at 4 million!

Whittaker, Thomson, Naismith, Boyd, Davis, Adam, Broadfoot and Burke are all 24 or younger and Smith plays them often enough...

If the lad is good enough he'd play. Just like Furman and Fleck will next season as well....

icon_smile.gif

Archived