The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont be naive enough to believe footballers, of course hes going to say things like that unless he's a complete arse like Cousin and wants to alienate himself and perhaps force a move.

Plenty of footballers have moved on after saying they will be staying, John Hartson said he would stay at Coventry to help them get promoted again after relegation. 2 weeks later he Strides into Celtic Park with Steve Guppy and Momo Sylla for a press unveiling.

If its the right move, I could see him going.

Newcastle, however, I would doubt.

Originally posted by Mr Nice:

he'd be very very brave to sign for you lot...

Oh I don't think it'll happen and if he comes back to Scotland then I am sure it will be to Celtic... But still he's a guy I rate very highly and I hope we can nick him, Might buy him a few bodyguards aswell icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway one thing I read yesterday was that Walter is STILL looking to sign Webster permantantly... WHY, Send him back to Wigan ffs.

• SI Staff
Anyway one thing I read yesterday was that Walter is STILL looking to sign Webster permantantly... WHY, Send him back to Wigan ffs.

But Webster scored in every game he played this season.

Webster can gtf as far as I'm concerned. Too much of an injury liability and if it wasn't for Pressley talking him through games he wouldn't have shined as well as he did.

I'm still wondering who or what sort of quality we will bring in this summer. Surely with £12million we should be able to attract some sort of quality?

As I said in the Celtic thread, personally I think Lafferty would be a good signing, although I do agree that £4million (or whatever it is) is a bit too much. He's young, has good potential, can hold the ball up well and is good in the air and let's be honest we don't play the prettiest of football do we icon_biggrin.gif:.

was something on FF saying he was interested/had bought a property in Glasgow's West End - not really sure how that links him with Rangers as he might just want to buy a house

although I guess it probably links him with a move back up here. FF usually talks a pile of pish though and is certainly not a reliable source for transfer news

Originally posted by TM:

was something on FF saying he was interested/had bought a property in Glasgow's West End - not really sure how that links him with Rangers as he might just want to buy a house

although I guess it probably links him with a move back up here. FF usually talks a pile of pish though and is certainly not a reliable source for transfer news

he was supposedly buying a house up here as far back before this season and coming back to Celtic.

It wouldn't surprise me if he came back. Im not convinced about us bringing him back tbh, I dont think he good enough to be in the starting 11 atm and would rather use the money on someone else.

Depends on the fee though, if we could get him on the cheap then I would maybe take him back, as we are a bit short of wide players since Riordans out the picture

Originally posted by Anton:

Frankie or anyone else in the know.

Whats happening with the stadium redevelopment, Murray said he would announce it by the end of May.

I'm not in the know any more than anyone else... icon_wink.gif

When dates are mentioned they are not always strictly adhered to. May be another few weeks before we know - possibly even the club AGM.

What I have heard about the alleged project is very exciting but not something I'm wholly in agreement with for a number of reasons.

• SI Staff

Anyway, another day and more players being linked with us :|

George Boateng (Middlesbrough) icon13.gif

Peter Lovenkrands (Schalke) icon14.gif

Raffaele Palladino (Juventus) icon_confused.gif

1/3 isn't bad to be honest, don't particularly want Boateng as we have plenty of midfielders and Palladino is mentioned being about £5m-ish, no way we'll be spending that on one player

Transfer speculation

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

INS

NAME CLUB STATUS

Christian Dailly West Ham Making loan move permanent

Steven Davis Fulham On loan, interest confirmed

Dave Kitson Reading Speculation

Steven Fletcher Hibernian Speculation

Peter Lovenkrands Schalke Speculation

Kyle Lafferty Burnley Speculation - rival bid from Wolves

Lee Wallace Hearts Speculation

Jefferson Farfan PSV Eindhoven Speculation

Kenny Miller Derby County Speculation

Mark Reynolds Motherwell Speculation

Danny Shittu Watford Speculation

Raffaele Paladino Juventus Speculation

George Boateng Middlesbrough Speculation

OUTS

NAME CLUB STATUS

FILIP SEBO VALENCIENNES CONFIRMED

Daniel Cousin Fulham Speculation

Thomas Buffel Anderlecht, Bruges Speculation

Alan Gow Aberdeen, Falkirk Speculation

Kris Boyd Birmingham, West Brom Speculation

Carlos Cuellar Newcastle Speculation

</pre>

I hope ter is on hand to sort this out as I think I am gonna feck it up icon_biggrin.gif

Hope this works Gaz:

Transfer speculation

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

INS

NAME CLUB STATUS

Christian Dailly West Ham Making loan move permanent

Steven Davis Fulham On loan, interest confirmed

Dave Kitson Reading Speculation

Steven Fletcher Hibernian Speculation

Peter Lovenkrands Schalke Speculation

Kyle Lafferty Burnley Speculation - rival bid from Wolves

Lee Wallace Hearts Speculation

Jefferson Farfan PSV Eindhoven Speculation

Kenny Miller Derby County Speculation

Mark Reynolds Motherwell Speculation

Danny Shittu Watford Speculation

Raffaele Paladino Juventus Speculation

George Boateng Middlesbrough Speculation

OUTS

NAME CLUB STATUS

FILIP SEBO VALENCIENNES CONFIRMED

Daniel Cousin Fulham Speculation

Thomas Buffel Anderlecht, Bruges Speculation

Alan Gow Aberdeen, Falkirk Speculation

Kris Boyd Birmingham, West Brom Speculation

Carlos Cuellar Newcastle Speculation

</pre>

Oh and Btw with the news that Dundee United want Gow on a deal and Adam on loan i say FO Dundee United.

I'd rather give Gow for free to any other team than let those greeting faced tw*ts pay 300k for him

Sunday Mail;

Gers are reported to be fighting it out with Celtic for the signature of former Celtic player Shaun Maloney. The Villa player was quoted as saying he would like to return to Scotland to play and Gers have held talks with his representative.

The fee involved would be somewhere around the £3m mark.

Meanwhile, Carlos Cuellar is set to sign a new long-term deal to stay at Rangers. His agent has said there has been NO contact from any club regarding a transfer.

His agent, Pedro Bravo, said: "Carlos is happy in Glasgow and doesn't want to leave. The Rangers fans have been incredible with him.

"I spoke with Martin Bain after the Uefa Cup final...and he told me Rangers aren't interested in selling him. If Rangers want to speak to us about extending his contract I will be on the first flight to Glasgow."

Originally posted by matty_8:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ibroxhero:

I read Sunderland are going to bid 5 mil.

maloney or cuellar? Carlos would command a bigger price </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maloney. Not good at this tonight me :/

King Carlos icon_cool.gif although I still don't trust Murray icon_mad.gif

and Keane is such a terrible manager, I actually thought he'd be a good manager with how used to organise stuff on the field for Man Utd etc, but he really is just terrible in choosing players icon_biggrin.gif Maloney is not worth £5m, absolutely no way and even I doubt he's a Premiership player either

NOTW

Kenny's on way back to Rangers

MILLER RETURN SEALED

By Graeme Bryce

KENNY MILLER will complete his sensational return to Rangers THIS WEEK — provided the Ibrox club can fight off fierce competition from the Continent.

Sport of the World can reveal Rangers have been given permission to speak to Miller after Derby County accepted a near-£2million bid for the Scotland striker on Thursday.

Despite continued protests by fans, Walter Smith is pushing ahead with talks aimed at making Miller his first signing of the summer. The Gers boss still has a power of work to do if he is to land the 28-year-old and it is unlikely a deal will be completed in the next 48 hours.

Miller may have made it clear last week that he would relish the chance to be reunited with his former Scotland bosses Smith and Ally McCoist at Ibrox.

But Serie A runners-up Roma, Bundesliga sides Schalke, Borussia Dortmund and Wolfsburg and Greeks Olympiacos have all been alerted by Gers’ swoop.

And they are ready to give them a run for their money by offering Miller a huge financial incentive to move abroad.

Sport of the World understands Greek champions Olympiacos have made a determined bid in the last 24 hours.

Their new boss Ernesto Valverde failed in a bid to take Miller to Espanyol last season. Olympiacos could easily meet Derby’s £1.9m asking price.

Interest from the Bundesliga could see the likes of Dortmund, Schalke and Wolfsburg embarrass Gers with their riches.

But Miller would relish the chance to work once more with Smith and McCoist, who regard him as the hardest-working frontman in the country.

They believe he would quickly win over sceptical fans with his work ethic and willingness to drag defenders all over the park. It remains to be seen if Gers can match the lure of the euro.

Miller’s agent David Baldwin made it clear his next move is far from certain. He said: “Contrary to popular belief there is no deal done for Kenny Miller.

“It’s fairly common knowledge the Rangers management staff rate Kenny very highly after their time together with the national team and I’m sure they would like him to join the club.

“But as yet, there is nothing to report. Kenny is very openminded about his next move and there have been enquiries about his availability from clubs all over Europe.

“His move to Derby was rushed so this time we are more than happy to take our time and make the right choice for Kenny from a football point of view.â€

That won’t suit Gers, who want Miller signed, sealed and delivered this week.

Gers are also looking to plunder the French market with a double swoop for full-backs Jeremy Berthod of Monaco and Jean Calve of Le Mans.

Roma, Dortmund, Schalke and all those wonderful teams can have him if they really want him icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Kept his team in the best league in the world.

no it isnt icon_biggrin.gif hate the idea of the Premiership being the centre of the football world, Spain and Italy are much better. England just has the huge amount of money because of Sky paying money for it

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

NOTW

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Kenny's on way back to Rangers

MILLER RETURN SEALED

By Graeme Bryce

KENNY MILLER will complete his sensational return to Rangers THIS WEEK — provided the Ibrox club can fight off fierce competition from the Continent.

Sport of the World can reveal Rangers have been given permission to speak to Miller after Derby County accepted a near-£2million bid for the Scotland striker on Thursday.

Despite continued protests by fans, Walter Smith is pushing ahead with talks aimed at making Miller his first signing of the summer. The Gers boss still has a power of work to do if he is to land the 28-year-old and it is unlikely a deal will be completed in the next 48 hours.

Miller may have made it clear last week that he would relish the chance to be reunited with his former Scotland bosses Smith and Ally McCoist at Ibrox.

But Serie A runners-up Roma, Bundesliga sides Schalke, Borussia Dortmund and Wolfsburg and Greeks Olympiacos have all been alerted by Gers’ swoop.

And they are ready to give them a run for their money by offering Miller a huge financial incentive to move abroad.

Sport of the World understands Greek champions Olympiacos have made a determined bid in the last 24 hours.

Their new boss Ernesto Valverde failed in a bid to take Miller to Espanyol last season. Olympiacos could easily meet Derby’s £1.9m asking price.

Interest from the Bundesliga could see the likes of Dortmund, Schalke and Wolfsburg embarrass Gers with their riches.

But Miller would relish the chance to work once more with Smith and McCoist, who regard him as the hardest-working frontman in the country.

They believe he would quickly win over sceptical fans with his work ethic and willingness to drag defenders all over the park. It remains to be seen if Gers can match the lure of the euro.

Miller’s agent David Baldwin made it clear his next move is far from certain. He said: “Contrary to popular belief there is no deal done for Kenny Miller.

“It’s fairly common knowledge the Rangers management staff rate Kenny very highly after their time together with the national team and I’m sure they would like him to join the club.

“But as yet, there is nothing to report. Kenny is very openminded about his next move and there have been enquiries about his availability from clubs all over Europe.

“His move to Derby was rushed so this time we are more than happy to take our time and make the right choice for Kenny from a football point of view.â€

That won’t suit Gers, who want Miller signed, sealed and delivered this week.

Gers are also looking to plunder the French market with a double swoop for full-backs Jeremy Berthod of Monaco and Jean Calve of Le Mans.

Roma, Dortmund, Schalke and all those wonderful teams can have him if they really want him icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope the agent is right!

Originally posted by Rcjuk:

I'm sorry.

IIRC we are the champions of europe and we had 2 english teams in the final.

We dominated both italy and spain.

Understand me?

So you have a situation where only certain teams will ever win the league 1 of 4. Sounds familiar. The best league would surely be one with good depth throughout including the minor teams being of a decent quality.

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

I'm sorry.

IIRC we are the champions of europe and we had 2 english teams in the final.

We dominated both italy and spain.

Understand me?

So you have a situation where only certain teams will ever win the league 1 of 4. Sounds familiar. The best league would surely be one with good depth throughout including the minor teams being of a decent quality. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah but the big leagues all have crappy teams in them, so you can't really prove who's got the better league. Mancs won the European Cup and deserved to, but I still don't reckon their league is the best - but there is no proof

no more bites son icon_cool.gif

did I read right about Roma being involved in the possibility of interest in Kenny Miller? wtf icon_biggrin.gif we'll sign him now and Murray will be going on about "Rangers beating the giants of Roma to the signing" icon_frown.gif

Archived