The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Ter:

We'll probably send the reserves out to play against diddy teams like Caley and Ayr.

I bet Gow still doesn't get a game.

Probably beat Ayr 2-1 with the likes of Fleck and Furman playing and HD coming in claiming they were robbed like he did in the 7-0 game.

We weren't robbed in the 7-0 game, we had Marius Røvde in goals two days after he arrived in the country looking to get a job cleaning windows or something.

We were robbed in the 4-0 game by diving cheating Latapy.

wonder why Beasley is left out this time and Adam plays icon_frown.gif

although Adam usually has one decent shot in a game, so it might go in - then again it might not. We basically threw this title away last Saturday so I just hope we can at least win this game and then it's down to them

would probably feel a bit more disappointed if they lost/drew and we lost the game to Aberdeen - chance for the domestic double (although not the one we'd want) on Saturday though icon_frown.gif

relying on Dundee Utd - Cousin and JCD with no chance when they have practically no service from the midfield

Barry going missing again, apart from having some passes, needs one of those passes he made the other night against St Mirren to open the defence icon_frown.gif although Cousin can pish off as well, shouldn't have played again for the team after the pathetic display in the Fiorentina 2nd leg. Boyd must be utterly dejected when he sees this mercenary playing for the club he loves

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Oh yeah Cousin showing once again what a total arse he is with elbow - please just feck off you total waste of space.

Hopefully this will be his last game and he will be off in the summer.

Well, what can we say, a shocking performance but no different from what we have seen over the last few weeks.

Walter has been rewarded for his negative tactics and his bizarre selection policy. We got we deserved, simple as that.

Well done Celtic, they never gave up and its a good way for them to remember Tommy Burns. icon14.gif

Originally posted by matty_8:

Reasons why we never won title(feel free to add):

1. Daniel Cousin

2. Negative Tactics

3. Tiredness

4. Celtics superb form at end of year

5. Barry "invisible" Ferguson

6. Not playing Kris Boyd as much as you should of.

it's practically Celtic's 2003 repeating itself for us - apart from the fact that we actually won something

domestic double on Saturday maybe, but I bet we probably lose it just to compound a pish season - apart from the UEFA Cup run (and some of the league season)

anyway, 2 good points for this for me:

one - in 2005 we went through this, which meant we didn't make the differences for the manager we should have done and ended up having a terrible year with Celtic racing away with the title because our team was pish. At least this might allow us to use some of that Euro money and make some sort of difference to our team because we really need changes

2 - they hold on to Strachan for another season I expect, they all wanted rid of him around January when we were starting to catch them up and for the last few months that Celtic thread has been full of wanting him gone, we've thrown this title away so with good changes in the right positions, I'd be positive to get it back next year icon14.gif

Well, they have managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at the end. In the cold light of day, they werent good enough over the last 3 months and in that time Celtic were the better team.

Some of these players need to take a serious look at themselves and ask whether they have contributed sufficiently and off course, Walter must take a look at his tactics and how they have or havent worked. I think we all accept that 4-5-1 should be employed away from home in Europe and perhaps against Celtic, but I see no reason to think that this should be the default tactic at Ibrox. There should be no hysteria because the team probably exceeded their pre season expectations, but that still doesnt reduce the disappointment of such sterile performances in the last 3 months.

What must Boyd be thinking watching Cousin playing and him on the bench. There should be some serious culling of the squad and we must be prepared to make hard decisions and get rid of players who are not good enough now and never will be good enough.

Obviously we will strengthen in the summer. I'm not all that bothered about losing the title because in the end we didn't deserve it anyway. Too many players didn't seem to realise the stakes when the chips were down. If we win on Saturday - and that btw is far from a given - then we've won two cups, league runners up and UEFA Cup finalists thats a pretty good season in most books.

The only annoying thing is that the title was in the bag, and we blew it. But meh, was Celtic's turn for a last day win, even of the drama was somewhat lacking in the end.

Poor performance but one that sums us up as a team.

Down and out.

Celtic have won the last 7 on the trot and deserve thier win, that is title winning form, our form is bottom half of the table form.

can somebody please tell me why Barry Ferguson seems to be undroppable? icon_confused.gif seriously I'd play Dean Furman before him because he looks like he might not go missing

is Walter afraid that he might attempt to start a revolt against him if he dropped Ferguson? if so, then I'd tell Ferguson where to go - no player is bigger than the club

Originally posted by BWCH:

Having not seen many of your recent games, has Ferguson really been that bad?

Yup. He's been non existant at least since Christmas and as TM says, any other player would have been dropped. I know a lot of Rangers fans would be upset but I think Barry needs to gtf for the sake of the team.

Originally posted by BWCH:

Having not seen many of your recent games, has Ferguson really been that bad?

a captain is supposed to influence his troops (or team when it's football) and Barry does absolutely nothing except scowl away when things don't go his way. Cuellar looked much better when he was captain in the Fiorentina 1st leg match. He's gone missing so many times I'm surprised there isn't an appeal out for him. I know he's got the injury, but he just isn't doing what he should be - the pass he played the other night to JCD for the goal is probably the first thing I've seen him do (apart from the Well goal at Ibrox) in about a few months

Guest sav112

On reflection without our Euro Run and Fixture pile up we should have performed better in the SPL. Disappointed yes but we had one hell of a run to the Euro final and to get to the two domestic cup finals and only to fall short on the last few games for the Title we cant complain.

The management team have proved there worth, after all this is a patch work squad that has just taken the title to the wire and it was fighting on four fronts even without our first choice keeper at the end.

Qualified for the Champions League proper !

Sold a Rangers (Home Reared) player for 9M!

Won our first cup in a few seasons!

Runners up in UEFA Final!

Took Title to the last day

Still got a Cup final to look forward too.

Shocking performance tonight from a team supposedly chasing a title. Thought they had more character than that. It's clear this squad needs a fair bit more work.

Fair play to Celtic, they found form at the right time and deserve the title.

Unlucky lads, just like Seville for us the fixtures caught up with you.

Don't know about you but the 1st hour tonight must have been the worst viewing experience I can remember witnessing.

Roll on next season. icon14.gif

Guest sav112

As far as Ferguson is concerned he needs to pick up his game….Got to say the EPL, that is simply going to be stunning next season I just wish the SPL was 10% as good.

As Del Boy Trotter Said

“We’ve had worse daysâ€

Hmm not long back and can you say dire? Yes it was the last game of the league season but they played like a team with nothing to play for. Cousin is a gimp. Ferguson invisable again and Dailly? ffs I never thought I would say this but I missed Broadfoot.

+ point.. good reception for Fleck, nice to see the boy come on.

In games 6-11, and 30-38 of the season (15 games) we picked up just 19 points.

12 points from our last 9 games, when we only needed 16 to win the title.

We've got the makings of a good team, but changes need made, the most pressing of which is to get Ferguson to fuck.

Originally posted by Jimbhoy:

Don't know about you but the 1st hour tonight must have been the worst viewing experience I can remember witnessing.

for your 1st hour tonight see our last 3 months. I feel like i've been going through torture not wacthing the team i love, just cancel next season.

As long as Walter is there, so is Barry I fear.

It was nice to see Fleck come on, and with Furman coming on against United perhaps Walter is about to break the habit of a life time next season?

Certainly, all things considered, we're in a much better position at this time of the season I feel that we have been for a few years - I don't count 2005 as we stole that title, sweet as it was.

Originally posted by Jimbhoy:

Thanks Jim. Yeah it's dissapointing, but just like you in 2003, I wouldn't give up that UEFA Cup run for anything. The Whittaker goal in Lisbon and the Penalty shoot out in Florence will live with me forever once the dissapointment of the season wears off.

We'll get you next time for sure ;-)

Originally posted by James B:

terry butcher saying ferguson drove you on tonight and his colleage let him down

Terry Butchers been chased from every team he has managed, thats because he is a clueless fud.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

It was nice to see Fleck come on, and with Furman coming on against United perhaps Walter is about to break the habit of a life time next season?

No chance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then more fool him. We'll end up losing the best young player in the country.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Then more fool him. We'll end up losing the best young player in the country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cast your mind back 10 years - we nearly contrived to lose Ferguson.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Then more fool him. We'll end up losing the best young player in the country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cast your mind back 10 years - we nearly contrived to lose Ferguson. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh I know all about Walter and his hatred of any player under 30. Just don't really understand it tbh. Still, hats off to him for giving us such a great season. (And it was if you think about it rationally.)

• SI Staff

It seems we've just been victims of our own success and have ran out of steam at the end. Overall it's been a fantastic season but it's also disappointing to have thrown it away at the end.

It's quite a co-incidence that since McGregor got injured we've played 12 matches, won 3 (Motherwell, Dundee Utd, St Mirren), Drawn 5 (Fiorentina 2, St Johnstone, Hibernian, Motherwell) and Lost 4 (Celtic 2, Zenit, Aberdeen)

Didn't get to see the game but did Fleck get on before or after Aberdeen scored their second? If it was before then questions have to be asked about our substitutions and our concentration afterwards as I think I can remember us conceding goals after subs a fair few times this season.

Absolutely gutted, I just want this season to end now so I can look forward to next season.

Points to make though:

1. Glad we’ve closed the gap to Celtic.

2. We’ve had a fantastic run in 4 competitions.

3. We ‘should’ have a decent amount of cash in the coffers to strengthen the squad.

4. We have some very decent youngsters waiting on the sidelines, let’s see more of them.

Season as a whole:

By god it wasn’t pretty football was it?

I can’t help think that the beginning of the downward spiral was the selling of Alan Hutton, he gave us width which pushed up the midfield and made the 451 into a more attacking 352. It still wasn’t pretty but we were at least creating a decent amount of chances in games.

We lost a lot of momentum when he left and the dynamics of the team changed, having at least 1 good wingback is a must in my opinion, until we find a replacement of Hutton’s calibre, 451 should be dead and buried.

On to Walter:

There’s rightly a lot of praise for the turnaround that’s happened this season but also a fair and justified amount of criticism as well.

1. The 451 formation for league games.

2. Not giving youngsters the chance, even when we had a heavy schedule.

3. The selection of players clearly out of form or just poor (Ferguson, McCulloch, Adam, Broadfoot, Hemdani).

4. The inability to use tactical substitutions, you could virtually set your watch to when he brings on players.

Here’s hoping for a great 08-09

Archived