The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

I've posted my feelings about Walter earlier in the thread - but I won't let my respect and love for the guy blind me to the fact that he does have blind spots in his management and he can be very very frustrating at times. Personally, I think he's done the job he came to do and should now move perhaps into a General Managers role - he's not getting any younger and next season we will need a lot more in terms of creativity and adventure. I just don't think Walter can deliver that.

With the influence and respect WS garners at the club, any other role for him than manager wouldn't work at all. A new guy's role would be completely compromised. He deserves at the very least another year. All managers make frustrating and bemusing decisions at times, along with some very good ones, and he is certainly not the only guilty party in throwing this title away. Ultimately it's up to us to accept the better (and more expensively assembled) side have shown their class over the whole season and won it. For now.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone think we'll all be this friendly and agreeable on Thursday icon_wink.gif

you dont need an answer to that do you icon_smile.gif

i've got a feeling that like last time that both games will not have more than 1 goal in it for the majority of the game. just to make us all nervous as hell

I think Dundee Utd being 'cheated' out of the game at Ibrox recently is exactly why they'll be breaking their b******s to beat us Thursday.

They won't see it as being cheated against Rangers, they'll see it as being cheated against the OF.

Plus every DU fan in the stadium on Thursday would love to see our tears if we lose the title there.

I can see us not winning at Tannadice, for sure. Nerves building already icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by BWCH:

Plus every DU fan in the stadium on Thursday would love to see our tears if we lose the title there.

You under-estimate the resentment that's swelled amongst United supporters against us in the last year. I live in Dundee and it is tangible. I'm sure they'd still love to beat an OF side, but a defeat would certainly be sweetened by us losing the league.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how or who United play on Thursday. We shouldn't be relying on anyone other than ourselves and it's because we haven't been able to do that in the last three months that we're in this position.

Originally posted by chopra_hill:

Would you consider this season a success or failure if you lose the league to celtic but win the two cups.

At the start of the season, when expectations were to start a building a better sqaud, get closer to Celtic in the league and have a reasonable European run, then yes it would have been looked on as a successful season.

Because of where the club got to recently and how close they were to the quadruple, it probably wont be looked upon as a succes but should be. The team havent played well enough in the last 3 months but have overachieved and hopefully laid the foundations for a better season next year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie 7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tony_cfc:

was i right in thinking that the St Mirren fans started signing "your just a skinny Eddie Murphy" when Beasley came on icon_biggrin.gif

I also thought i heard them singing, "Where's you trophy now". Yeah there were giving it mad licks tonight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah must be great to gloat over a team that were in the UEFA Cup Final whilst you sit 10th in the SPL in your midden of a stadium. Shows how thick they are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you've been hearing constantly about "the quadruple", it's hard not to have a laugh. A bit like when you hear for weeks solid about England and then they get beat on penalties yet again. I don't see why they shouldn't laugh just because they didn't choose a team that wins all the time and has a UEFA 5 star rated stadium.

Dundee United manager Craig Levein has played down a training ground incident involving captain Lee Wilkie and youngster Mihael Kovacevic.

Must have been arguing over who will score an OG first. [F.A.O. Stan petrov -> icon_wink.gif]

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

was i right in thinking that the St Mirren fans started signing "your just a skinny Eddie Murphy" when Beasley came on icon_biggrin.gif

They stole that of us. We sang that to Darchiville or what ever his name is but we sang "You're just a fat Eddie Murphy"

When you've been hearing constantly about "the quadruple", it's hard not to have a laugh. A bit like when you hear for weeks solid about England and then they get beat on penalties yet again. I don't see why they shouldn't laugh just because they didn't choose a team that wins all the time and has a UEFA 5 star rated stadium.

Yep. Unlike Rangers fans, St Mirren's don't expect to win things. 10th in the SPL is a great season for them and they're enjoying it. Which, after all, is what football is all about. Enjoyment.

Anyway, they're bulldozing that midden of a stadium soon and the new one is half-done already.

Breaking news

Pre season match arranged for gers already:-

Following the events of last Wednesday in Manchester, Rangers are set to announce a pre-season match against Manchester's riot police. Apparently Walter Smith thought it would be a good test for the club as the Manchester riot police are the only opposition they have attacked in Europe this year.

Boom, boom.

Originally posted by HD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When you've been hearing constantly about "the quadruple", it's hard not to have a laugh. A bit like when you hear for weeks solid about England and then they get beat on penalties yet again. I don't see why they shouldn't laugh just because they didn't choose a team that wins all the time and has a UEFA 5 star rated stadium.

Yep. Unlike Rangers fans, St Mirren's don't expect to win things. 10th in the SPL is a great season for them and they're enjoying it. Which, after all, is what football is all about. Enjoyment.

Anyway, they're bulldozing that midden of a stadium soon and the new one is half-done already. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Poor bastards live in Paisley as well so.....

Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ATW:

They stole that of us. We sang that to Darchiville or what ever his name is but we sang "You're just a fat Eddie Murphy"

It was sung at Ibrox when we played them months ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

was actually going to say that - the DMB variation was just stupidity, but they obviously a bunch of idiots who support a pish team

• SI Staff

So Naismith looking at being out for the entire 08/09 season then. Jings. Step up John Fleck! icon_wink.gif

I'd have thought Burke would have been a candidate to be sold in the Summer. Don't think anyone will sign someone who is crocked.

I'd have thought Burke would have been a candidate to be sold in the Summer. Don't think anyone will sign someone who is crocked.

bad news indeed icon_frown.gif

feel sorry for Naisy though, was developing to be a good player for us and then done by a combination of a stamp on his leg and a shocking pitch at the National stadium

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

I've always preffered the head to head way. It works well in Spain.

Head to head is rubbish.

The league should be won over how you perform over 38 games, not 2.

Barcelona were the best team in Spain last year but lost the league because they played poorly in 2 games against Real Madrid.

Stan, it's the way I've always felt. Teams that are open and attacking should be rewarded.

If the goal difference situation was the other way round, and Celtic ended the season with more goals scored but a poorer goal difference, then I'd feel a smidgeon of sympathy for them.

The injuries to both Burke and Naismith happened on 20th April so I wonder why it was so long before they had their operations? Lets hope, especially for Naismith, that the estimated time out is deliberately high and he will be back before that.

I also Hope that Walter is currently looking for wingers to buy now. Any names in the frame?

• SI Staff

We were linked with Mark Reynolds (Motherwell) yesterday and today it's Lee Wallace (Hearts)

Both defensive players and are left sided I think.

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

And according to the paper yesterday afternoon over 18,500 tickets have already been sold and the ticket office are expecting a near sell-out. Gonna be a hell of a night.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• SI Staff

All we can do is try and win the match tonight. Goal difference isn't going to win it for us. There is no way we're going to win 5-0 and Celtic 1-0.

All we can hope for is someone like Noel Hunt doing what Scott McDonald did a few years ago, and I can't see that happening.

• SI Staff

No pecific thread for tonight's games yet, so I'll ask here.

I presume games are both on Setanta? Or just the game at Tannadice?

As far as I know both games are on Setanta.

Can't really be arsed tbh, now way in a million hells are Celtic going to even come close to not winning. Just hope they score three in the first five minutes and then it's deffo all over.

Originally posted by Gripper:

No pecific thread for tonight's games yet, so I'll ask here.

I presume games are both on Setanta? Or just the game at Tannadice?

Dundee United/Celtic on Setanta 1

Aberdeen/Rangers on Setanta 2

Bit worried about what to do tonight. Either lock myself in the house with no other means than SSN keeping me informed or head out into a pub here and hope that the Aberdeen and other Rangers fans behave themselves whilst the game is on.

MON THE ARABS!

• SI Staff

Don't know if anyone else has posted this before, or they know already but haven't posted. Anyway, it's not against a diddy team this time and we're meant to be playing Liverpool at Ibrox on Saturday July 26th.

Archived