The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Haz:

Zenit will destroy us with pace - it'll probably be like when Middlesborough rode their luck all the way to the final then got pumped

Good job, keep thinking we're gonna lose it's worked so far icon_biggrin.gif

I would say we have had some luck - every successful team needs that - but I don't think we've entirely 'rode our luck' the whole way through. And tbqh, I can remember better Rangers teams than this playing superb football and NOT getting the break of the ball and us on here moaning because of bad luck. This is just pay back time for 36 years of that!

I was thinking when watching Zenit that because of the way they play, which is a bit different from the likes of Fiore and Bremen - the two sides with real quality we have played in the UEFA - they would be a much harder task for us. But on the other hand, we know we are strong defensively and it will make for an interesting tactical battle. No predictions yet though icon_wink.gif

We'll go in underdogs like we have since the start of this run, they were blistering last night, but we'll just rely on the little things that could swing the game our way. Manchester's a long way from playing in front of your own crowd in Russia.

I can't imagine us giving them the same amount of space and time and indifference Bayern did. Maybe they'll struggle a bit to adapt to being the team on the front foot?

I also understand they've not had the best start to their domestic campaign. so they're clearly not some indestructible machine.

Another thing was that they could only field six subs, so their squad depth's not intimidating: the monster of a striker that scored two will obviously be a big miss and who knows what damage a couple more injuries could do to the effectiveness of their style?

Still a big ask against a very good side, but we heard all that before last night.

Originally posted by Razzler:

Does this mean an extra space for the Jocko league in the UEFA Cup if you win this then ? Who's the minnows cheering you on for that ?

No because we'll be in the Champions League next season icon_smile.gif

As winners of this we get auto-access though, regardless of our league position?

So that would leave an extra CL place up for grabs wouldn't it? Or are we bound by the co-efficient (2 CL places, 2-3 UC)?

Originally posted by eldiego1984:

icon_biggrin.gif I can remember us Greeks getting all defensive (oh the irony) when someone mentioned we didn't play the best football...

Now why that doesn't give me the right to call things as they are, i don't know.

as I mentioned in the Fiore/Rangers match thread, the parallels with Euro 2004 and our run to the UEFA Cup 2008 Final is scary icon_redface.gif

a successful tournament win based on a defensive system with the midfield and upfront to carry it off. Greece didn't score that many goals in the tournament either if I remember correctly, we have no players in the UEFA Cup top 10 scorers icon_biggrin.gif whereas Zenit and Bayern have the top scorers in Luca Toni and Pavel Pogrebnyak.

We'll probably be one of the most dullest teams to win the competition if we do, but not everything is about playing pretty football or Barcelona would have won the CL and their league this year icon_cool.gif

I don't think teams like Panathinaikos, Sporting or even Fiorentina can even complain about not going further, all of those teams didn't cause enough problems - the ones who have the major cause for complaint is Bremen as they absolutely hammered us in Germany and only because our defence and particularly our goalkeeper was superb that night, we'd have been going out to them

A conundrum for you-

I was asked by a mate if I had to choose between winning the UEFA Cup or the league- which would it be?

Naturally I chose both but was pushed for a single answer. I was really unsure but eventually chose the UEFA Cup. Why? We have won ther SPL before and will win it again I am sure but opportunities to win a European trophy dont come often so must be grabbed while the team has the chance.

How about you?

• SI Staff

That is by far the best and worst game I've ever been to. We were in with their ultras and got told it would be best if we moved for our own safety so we went and hid in a corner icon_biggrin.gif

Was so hard trying not to celebrate too much when we won the pens but we must have stuck out like a sore thumb.

Fiorentina fans are a nice bunch. So loud and was a great atmosphere. After the game some guy came over and wished us good luck in the final and swapped my scarf for a big Fiorentina scarf. Just brilliant.

Walter Smith's anti-football!

Originally posted by Unrealgod:

All the Chelsea and Man Utd supporters have to get visas to go to russia and the russian fans don't typical

If the russians offer you a cup of tea don't take it!

• SI Staff

Here is the fixture run in for the rest of the season...

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>SUN 04 MAY: Hibernian (A) – SPL

WED 07 MAY: Motherwell (H) - SPL

SAT 10 MAY: Dundee Utd (H) – SPL

WED 14 MAY: Zenit (N) - UEFA Cup Final

SAT 17 MAY: Motherwell (A) - SPL

TUE 20 MAY: St Mirren (A) – SPL

THU 22 MAY: Aberdeen (A) - SPL

SAT 24 MAY: Queen Of The South (N) – Scottish Cup Final

Hopefully we can get maximum points in our next three games then it will be down to those last three massive games after the UEFA Cup Final.

The Motherwell and United games at Ibrox and the St Mirren game are ones we really should be looking to win no matter the circumstances. Beyond that, it depends how the players handle the pressure and scheduling.

Would be so sweet to have the league won by the Tuesday and send the reserves up to sheep central. icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff
Beyond that, it depends how the players handle the pressure and scheduling.

I think Thursday night proved that we have players who can handle pressure. My legs were like jelly during the pens and I wasn't even playing. Jeers so loud as well.

Yeah, Papac and Hemdani were SO cool taking theirs. Papac just never looks flustered at all. WS is normally a calm enough guy so that'll be instilled into the players.

I know I was semi-joking about the Aberdeen game, but who honestly fancies heading up there on the last day needing a win? Esp considering we've played on the Sat and Tue previously and have one eye on the Scottish Cup. Don't think I've known a week of football like that.

SUN 04 MAY: Hibernian (A) – SPL

WED 07 MAY: Motherwell (H) - SPL

SAT 10 MAY: Dundee Utd (H) – SPL

WED 14 MAY: Zenit (N) - UEFA Cup Final

SAT 17 MAY: Motherwell (A) - SPL

TUE 20 MAY: St Mirren (A) – SPL

THU 22 MAY: Aberdeen (A) - SPL

SAT 24 MAY: Queen Of The South (N) – Scottish Cup Final

Our game against St Mirren has been moved forward to Monday 19th for TV to suit Setanta!

Originally posted by Unrealgod:

All the Chelsea and Man Utd supporters have to get visas to go to russia and the russian fans don't typical

Firstly - whats that got to do with Rangers?

Secondly - why on earth would the Russian fans need visas to go to Russia?

.The Manchester police are saying we shouldn't be travelling to Manchester if we don't have a ticket. icon_confused.gif Sorry, but wtf? That's never going to stop us icon_biggrin.gif. Load of us have a bus booked leaving Stirling at 10 am and returning 3 am Thursday morning, absolutely quality. if only I could get hold of a ticket, but meh I'l be in Manchester that's all that matters icon_cool.gif

I read a couple of people saying that and thought, how ridiculous and what a waste of a business opportunity - hundreds of thousands of people pouring into your city, you can make a killing.

From what I also read they are hesitant to create 'fan' areas in case it encourages people to come. But think of the extra revenue!

Anyway, if you can't get to Manchester - and unless someone pays my fare I can't - I think they are putting it on the screens at Ibrox.

Originally posted by FrazT:

A conundrum for you-

I was asked by a mate if I had to choose between winning the UEFA Cup or the league- which would it be?

Naturally I chose both but was pushed for a single answer. I was really unsure but eventually chose the UEFA Cup. Why? We have won ther SPL before and will win it again I am sure but opportunities to win a European trophy dont come often so must be grabbed while the team has the chance.

How about you?

Put it this way, I was 11 when Rangers stopped the ten in a row from that other club that play in Glasgow. Since then, we have won the title seventeen times, the Scottish Cup 11 times and the league cup 17 times.

I was eight when we won the Cup Winners Cup and don't really have any recollection of that.

By the law of averages we will win the title a few more times in my projected lifetime, but the chances of winning a European trophy may never come again. Given a choice, there you can only have one of the two, then right now I'll take the UEFA Cup.

However, because of the way this season has gone, and all the other circumstances surrounding the ridiculous fixture **** up by the SPL, I want to win the SPL title just to stick it right up them.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Unrealgod:

Secondly - why on earth would the Russian fans need visas to go to Russia? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't it visas to get into Britain?

Originally posted by Jeebs:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Unrealgod:

Secondly - why on earth would the Russian fans need visas to go to Russia? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't it visas to get into Britain? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeebs, really icon_biggrin.gif

Zenit have been given time off before the UEFA Cup final by the Russian FA.

Zenit St Petersburg will not play another game until the Uefa Cup final after the Russian Football Federation cleared their fixtures.

And Rangers chief executive Martin Bain has complained that the Scottish Premier League has not given similar help to Zenit's opponents on 14 May.

"The SPL should take a long hard look at what other federations do, given the enormity of the situation," he said.

"And what reaching a European final has done for the coefficient and country."

Zenit were due to play Lokomotiv Moscow at home on 7 May and Luch Energia in the Russian Far-eastern city of Vladivostok on 11 May.

But the national association says Dick Advocaat's side can play those in June.

Rangers, in contrast, now face playing eight games in 21 days.

They will host Dundee United at home four days before facing Zenit.

The Scottish season has been badly hit by match postponements this season.

And, although the SPL has delayed the end of the season by four days, Rangers are angry that they are still being required to play four games within eight days.

Although I agree with Bain to a degree, I think if this was a "normal" season we'd be given time off too. Just the way things have gone this year that has prevented that from happening.

Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

Erm nobody said that we shouldn't play any games from now until then.... All they are saying is that we should be given some rest between the games.

We should be playing all our games in the same week, gotta keep up that integrity icon14.gif

• SI Staff

Oh Carlos Cuellar you are the love of my life Oh Carlos Cuellar I'd let you shag my wife Oh Carlos Cuellar I want curly hair too

Archived