The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We no way deserved to lose that game today. icon_frown.gif

Think its going to be hard on us to rally together and win all the remaining games now as we pick up more and more injuries/suspensions!

Broadfoot was clumsy for the penalty.

Oh well we don't make it easy for ourselves do we

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

Gutted to lose to such a dodgy penalty but we were **** in the second half. At least the lads didn't look too tired today by the end.

Wasn't a pen, offside goal, referee was a complete joke tbh. Think the players thought they had the game won and tbh they got what they deserved.

Tbf, the speed it happened I can't see how the referee would have been able to tell it was outside the box.

The offside goal I'll give you, obviously. I'd already turned my head, expecting it to be given.

You were right about Faye, btw icon_wink.gif

Broadfoot infuriating tbh. No need to nudge him over McDonald wasn't in control of the ball. Should have been a red card and free kick.

Didn't think we could have held on after the equaliser. Crap second half from us. And how stupid is Whittaker, last second of the game ffs.

Originally posted by TM:

we're boned, Faye coming on icon_frown.gif

pretty much called it to be honest icon_biggrin.gif at fault for his positional sense for the "penalty" Hardly did anything in the 2nd half attacking wise which was disappointing.

can't believe we've lost that though, they were for the taking at 2-1, we sat back and let them get the goal back through the deflection . Might as well say less about the ref as I expect it will be called an excuse, but lets just say he was pathetic today icon14.gif coward for not sending off Vennegoor, Whittaker didn't even make contact for his first booking and then was obviously frustrated at the 2nd one with the chop. Poor wee Hugh I feel sorry for though, he won't be getting any custom - been a while since he's had icon_frown.gif

that will be a hard one to take, probably cause we were playing well in the first half, 2nd half performance was toothless attacking wise though which was disappointing as I've mentioned, don't really think Celtic looked like scoring though - bit similar to the first game except they had a bit more possession in game 1

The ref had a shocker from what I seen of it, but its not a surprise (the standard of Scottish ref's is a sad reality). First goal shouldn't have stood, and JVoH should have seen red for that challenge on Faye.

Faye isnt the problem, Smith was in that decision. The guy hasnt played for months yet is thrown into that game.... shocking decision.

Broadfoot..... well he, simply, shouldnt be a Rangers player. nothing else needs to be said.

Fatigue, injury and suspensions are racking up even more.

This run in will tell us exactly what the players are all about. Celtic can have no say in the destination of the title, its down to us and if we blow it, then its all we deserve.

Originally posted by AndyJ:

Broadfoot infuriating tbh. No need to nudge him over McDonald wasn't in control of the ball. Should have been a red card and free kick.

Didn't think we could have held on after the equaliser. Crap second half from us. And how stupid is Whittaker, last second of the game ffs.

If they hadnt scored just before HT, I think it may have been a different story. But your right, after their 2nd it was going to be difficult.

Knew it was over as soon as Faye came on. Someone really should remind them that there is two halves to a game and we failed to turn up for the 2nd half which is frustrating. We went down 1-0 and played well to get back in it and went 1-2 up but then it was back to the usual performance.

Hopefully Davie is alright. Faye in defence icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Jeebs:

Faye's, erm, a bit ****, isn't he?

Just a bit. But thats the thing about football, it seems once you conn your way into making people believe you can play the game you have a job for life, even when it's quite clear you have as much talent as a dead penguin.

This run in will tell us exactly what the players are all about. Celtic can have no say in the destination of the title, its down to us and if we blow it, then its all we deserve.

indeed, this is the time for players to stand up - unfortunately the midfield did for the first half and then sort of didn't in the 2nd

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Even without Smith on the bench you could have moved Papac to the centre and Whittaker to left back and brought someone/anyone else on ffs icon_biggrin.gif

He could also have moved Whittaker to his natural position and Bambi (Broadfoot) into his natural position then put someone onto the left of midfield.

I'm still trying to get my head round it to be honest.

would rather play the tea lady in defence than Faye icon14.gif

one of the best comments in the 2nd half was Booth saying something like "that's due to Faye not being able to control the ball" - nope that was due to Faye not having any footballing ability at all

Tbh though, Faye didn't cost us the game and neither did the pish poor refereeing. What cost us the game was the players sitting back at 2-1 and thinking it was all over. As Jimbo says, it's still in our hands and we can only really throw it away, but they're making a damn good stab at that it seems.

Faye did cost the penalty though, he's not a defender and was drifting into Hemdani's defensive midfield/midfield sort of role - it left Broadfoot having to track back on the wrong side of MacDonald and obviously the rest is history

Faye should have been where MacDonald was, although it would have probably ended up in a goal anyway as Faye had one point in the game when he went against Faye and fell on his arse

Originally posted by TM:

Faye did cost the penalty though, he's not a defender and was drifting into Hemdani's defensive midfield/midfield sort of role - it left Broadfoot having to track back on the wrong side of MacDonald and obviously the rest is history

Faye should have been where MacDonald was, although it would have probably ended up in a goal anyway as Faye had one point in the game when he went against Faye and fell on his arse

well that's MacDonald, not Faye icon_biggrin.gif but I'm sure Faye's shadow would probably shake him off anyway

Yes but it too easy to lump it all one person. The fact is that despite the ridiculous offside goal, the clear handball in the area that should have given us a penalty, we were well on top and should have had the game wrapped up by half time. There were other players on the pitch and you have to wonder about their attitude in such an important game. It's game like that that tell you a lot about the character of a side, and quite honestly we failed badly. More annoyed about this loss than the first one tbh.

On another note....

The standard of Scottish ref's is worrying, this season has been a shocker for the men in black and this is the new bread of ref's that coming through.

I can see it getting any better and I do not believe anyone when they say that the standard of ref's in this country isn't that bad.

There seems to be holwers every signal game now. I used to think that they were bad 5/10 years ago..... compared to now, how wrong can someone be.

completely agree PM7, I'm just saying Faye was one at fault for the pen, Broadfoot the other for making the stupid "tackle" icon_wink.gif

game was for the taking at 2-1, we let them get back into it and they got the equaliser. If we had got another goal in that period after going ahead, we'd have probably been home and dry as Celtic would have had to come out, perfect for the goals on the break.

As I said, I don't think Boruc had a save to make in the 2nd half. Novo's shot going past is the only thing I count, but I'm still annoyed at losing as Celtic didn't really cause a lot of problems. Putting Faye on is one of the catalysts for losing though, plenty of combinations could have been used to mean he wasn't playing

As my uncle once told me "The problem with the officials in this country is one half is too easily intimidated by the Old Firm and the other half are ****"

I always wondered what category he put himself in, then I seen him officiating a game. Quite clearly the latter.

Yeah, the standards of ref's in Scotland are shambolic.

The offside goal was hardly ridiculous. Offside yes and we were lucky to get it, but it was a matter of inches. Neither of the handballs were penalties, ball to hand quite clearly in both cases despite Booth's protestations (the one about Dailly's being deliberate was quite amusingly wrong).

JVoH's was bad, but in all fairness, his eyes were on the ball. Clear yellow but never a red. Whittaker's first tackle was just like one of our yellow cards and was deserved (think it was Naylor's, but not 100%).

Could be quite a tight race at the end now, especially if we're missing McManus for any amount of time.

We were a different team in the first half to the second half. I hope Steven Whittaker, Kirk Broadfoot, Steven Davis and Daniel Cousin take a long hard look at themselves and ask how much they really want this. Shocking performances. Nacho was the standout again.

Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

Yeah, the standards of ref's in Scotland are shambolic.

The offside goal was hardly ridiculous. Offside yes and we were lucky to get it, but it was a matter of inches. Neither of the handballs were penalties, ball to hand quite clearly in both cases despite Booth's protestations (the one about Dailly's being deliberate was quite amusingly wrong).

JVoH's was bad, but in all fairness, his eyes were on the ball. Clear yellow but never a red. Whittaker's first tackle was just like one of our yellow cards and was deserved (think it was Naylor's, but not 100%).

Could be quite a tight race at the end now, especially if we're missing McManus for any amount of time.

Luck with refs comes in roundabouts. I'm sure we'll get it also. Celtic wanted it more in the second half. Bad refereeing can't always be our excuse. Too many of our players went hiding. I would have sent Whittaker off for being pure *****.

Luck with refs comes in roundabouts

There's a difference between luck and sheer incompetence. There isn't a single referee in this country you could hold up and say, yeah he's actually pretty good. How many refs do we have at Euro 2008?

Archived