The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"We then have this 'sporting integrity' situation, which actually gave me a good laugh. Peter Lawwell seems to be the head of the sporting integrity committee — both its chairman and chief spokesman. Peter would be better coming out and saying he wants Rangers to have to play four games in a week because it suits his team and helps their quest to retain the championship — he should just be honest about it.

"If it was the other way about, I would be hoping that Celtic had to play four games in a week, so fine. But Peter is as well being honest about it, instead of hiding behind what he is calling ‘sporting integrity'."

Wattie cutting through the crap.

Fair to say you guys had more desire last Wednesday which is hopefully something we will put right on Sunday.

Sorry, but Celtic could have been much better this season than they have been and they still wouldn't have "walked the league" such has been our consistency.

I think it's fair to say this Sunday is building up to be a classic...

Gutted we've not got Cuellar and Thomson but the fact we were so solid again last night means I feel a bit more confident than I did the other day. Add on Walter's annoyance and the problems from the last game, means Sunday lunch-time could get quite spicy.

Who is the ref?

Originally posted by Frankie:

I think it's fair to say this Sunday is building up to be a classic...

Gutted we've not got Cuellar and Thomson but the fact we were so solid again last night means I feel a bit more confident than I did the other day. Add on Walter's annoyance and the problems from the last game, means Sunday lunch-time could get quite spicy.

Who is the ref?

Dont know why you would call the game a classic. Every old firm game means a certain amount, and this one is really low on scale.

Dont think your result last night means anything either. If Fior had to get a result then the game would have been much differant, you think away teams are unhappy to go home with 0-0? Although it has worked out for you so far so you may be on to something.

Will be a hard fought game none the less, as every game between us is. Cant see past another win for us, so many players missing for you and our better quality players will be able to shine.

As long as Brines isnt the ref I dont mind, hes the most incompetant of a bad bunch!

Who is the ref?

Craig Thomson I believe. I'm actually not looking forward to Sunday as I think this could be an explosive one. Usually we'd all revel in that, but if we are leading/drawing the game, then we all know Celtic's "integrity" will go out the window, the hacking/throwing the toys out will commence

I just hope our lads don't bite back as I think win, lose or draw, the Celtic players will attempt to do the "get it up you" sort of thing again - possibly looking for us to get suspensions etc

Originally posted by Anton:

Dont know why you would call the game a classic. Every old firm game means a certain amount, and this one is really low on scale.

Dont think your result last night means anything either. If Fior had to get a result then the game would have been much differant, you think away teams are unhappy to go home with 0-0? Although it has worked out for you so far so you may be on to something.

Will be a hard fought game none the less, as every game between us is. Cant see past another win for us, so many players missing for you and our better quality players will be able to shine.

As long as Brines isnt the ref I dont mind, hes the most incompetant of a bad bunch!

Eh? 'Low on scale' - after everything that happened in the last game, the verbal jousts in the media this week about fixtures and the fact a victory for either team can markedly change the title race? icon_biggrin.gif

Last night's result meant something because, like we will be on Sunday, we were missing important players but still managed to put in a reasonable performance with character, graft and belief. I was worried a bad result in Europe after two bad games against you and St Johnstone may place us under pressure. Nothing to do with how Fiorentina feel about the next leg...

You are certainly favorites to win but that expectation may actually help us as the pressure on the lads isn't as high as it would have been with a full squad.

this is probably meaning a big amount tbh, if we win/draw, then the league is probably ours with the amount of games in hand

if Celtic win, then it opens it up with them having a 5pt lead and us having to really win the games in hand to gain an advantage

You won the league if not with thr 1-0 at ibrox then us losing to mothewell. We might run you close, but its always going to you.

As I said though, every old firm game means loads on its own regardless of title outcome.

Because you guys have had the league won for weeks.

Do you honestly, truly believe this? I don't think you do. A Celtic win on Sunday and our forthcoming schedule would make this a presumptuous, foolish statement.

And us 'hacking' you icon_biggrin.gif Sure nakamura/mcgeady will be getting right in amongst the skillfull dailly/broadfoot markers icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

How very selective of you. Part of the reason you won last Wednesday was the "physicality" in the centre of midfield you'd lacked earlier in the season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anton:

Eh? 'Low on scale' - after everything that happened in the last game, the verbal jousts in the media this week about fixtures and the fact a victory for either team can markedly change the title race? icon_biggrin.gif

Last night's result meant something because, like we will be on Sunday, we were missing important players but still managed to put in a reasonable performance with character, graft and belief. I was worried a bad result in Europe after two bad games against you and St Johnstone may place us under pressure. Nothing to do with how Fiorentina feel about the next leg...

You are certainly favorites to win but that expectation may actually help us as the pressure on the lads isn't as high as it would have been with a full squad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its funny you say that actually as most celtic fans i've spoke to feel more confident after that game last nite

shows how different people opinions on football is icon_smile.gif

I do believe it. I would obviously loved to be proved wrong but we dug our own grave with the Dundee utd game and mothewell at home.

I selected those as we have a few players who couldnt hack if they tried and every player in your team can put in a solid challenge if needed. We really arent the kind of team you can say will kick you off the park, unlike the MO'N team.

I do believe it. I would obviously loved to be proved wrong but we dug our own grave with the Dundee utd game and mothewell at home.

Too close to call atm for me. Until we drop 4 points against the other sides, we're still favourites ofc, but there's too many other factors to be as definite as you're being.

I selected those as we have a few players who couldnt hack if they tried and every player in your team can put in a solid challenge if needed. We really arent the kind of team you can say will kick you off the park, unlike the MO'N team.

Hartley. Brown. JVoH. McManus. Hardly wallflowers. You've craft in your side, but those boys can put it about if they're in the mood. The physical label certainly shouldn't be applied to just us.

Originally posted by McD:

Don't see how, really, Tony. We were seriously depleted and still made a good European side look ordinary and limited. Think people will look for what they want to see.

Indeed, you think you made them look ordinary. Everyone else thinks they were ordinary by themselves.

I would say, if last night was the second leg and it was 1-1 over in Italy from the first leg. Would you have been able to hold on for 0-0?

Indeed, you think you made them look ordinary. Everyone else thinks they were ordinary by themselves.

Do they? So neutrals thought that was a poor defensive display last night, a display that didn't mute their threat as much as possible? I'm trying to be as objective as I can and I don't believe that. Opinions, arseholes, and all that.

you were but your not going to be in any better shape on sunday and i would say worse tbh.

i do agree on your last point, personally i took positives from what i seen as a fiorentina team not really forcing the game but still dominating possesion, rangers surrendering possession far to easily and also you not having a shot on target.

not a dig btw just an honest opinion icon_smile.gif

we will put you under more pressure than they did im sure, as its win or bust for us and we have no idea how you will cope without Cuellar

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"We then have this 'sporting integrity' situation, which actually gave me a good laugh. Peter Lawwell seems to be the head of the sporting integrity committee — both its chairman and chief spokesman. Peter would be better coming out and saying he wants Rangers to have to play four games in a week because it suits his team and helps their quest to retain the championship — he should just be honest about it.

"If it was the other way about, I would be hoping that Celtic had to play four games in a week, so fine. But Peter is as well being honest about it, instead of hiding behind what he is calling ‘sporting integrity'."

Wattie cutting through the crap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said it a few days ago, I think more Rangers fans would have had a little more respect (if you could call it that) for Liewell if he came out and said its straight instead of hiding behind this sporting integrity bulls**t.

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

you were but your not going to be in any better shape on sunday and i would say worse tbh.

i do agree on your last point, personally i took positives from what i seen as a fiorentina team not really forcing the game but still dominating possesion, rangers surrendering possession far to easily and also you not having a shot on target.

Teams ALWAYS dominate possession against us though! Even St Johnstone looked good in patches! That's not really our failing, it's the deliberate way we set ourselves up. It's about quality, hurtful possession and neither Fiorentina nor Celtic had that to any great extent in the last two matches. Sure, knocking the ball back and forward across the back 5 makes for good reading on the stats, but how often did either side seriously threaten our goal? Three or four times, at most. We're a percentage side, we look at the couple of moments in a game that we can kill off opponents, not the 87 minutes where the ball's pinging about the middle third. I know that rankles "neutrals" and people that want us to fail - it's central to this ******** notion of anti-football - but it clearly works and, with our resources and schedule, it suits our needs perfectly.

Most Rangers fans would definitely agree we'd love to see a bit more attacking endeavour from us next year, a bit more assertion on inferior teasm, but will we still be competing for four trophies at this time next year? Probably not.

It's amazing how ordinary other teams have been against us this season...

Thank goodness the opposition teams in all the competitions against us haven't really tried hard enough.

Aye, thank **** for those teams that don't try, else we'd be nowhere this season.

Smith has quite rightly played the percentages this year and it's worked pretty well so far.

It's put us in the position where we should have the money to improve the areas that really need it (width, creativity and strikers) and when one considers the last few years, of course Rangers fans are going to be happy and non-bears less so.

That doesn't mean we'll win the UEFA Cup or even the league title this year but if we do we've done so because we've had the system and we've had the better quality than any team that has tried to attack us and lost.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

I said it a few days ago, I think more Rangers fans would have had a little more respect (if you could call it that) for Liewell if he came out and said its straight instead of hiding behind this sporting integrity bulls**t.

Me too. He has the slippery, sweaty demeanour of a politician. One to be wary of.

tony:

If Celtic supporters weren't confident of beating us with our best defender missing, other key players suspended or injured, the title at stake and in front of their own fans, I'd think there was something seriously wrong.

In many ways I don't expect anything other than a Celtic win but I just feel more confident than I did last week because we showed against a first-class Italian team that we can still be tough to beat and are capable of getting a result on Sunday if Celtic don't play to their best.

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

thats true but surely you can see the positives of having a lot of possession.

After the way this season's gone.... not really.

we still got the ball into your net twice the last game (3 with the Naka one) and with Cuellar also out then you can see how we can take some positives

Cuellar was out before the Viola game kicked off, so that's not really relevant to last night.

And it's impossible to predict how the game would have panned out had Cuellar let that ball go in. We'd have had eleven men for the remaining 20 minutes and you sure as hell wouldn't have had as two easy headers in our box four minutes into injury time.

I read one of the droogs in your thread saying that win was "easy"! Certainly not the defintion in my dictionary! Celtic huffed and puffed for long periods, it was a good win, but by no means easy. Hopefully looking for the same level of "easiness" on Sunday.

(BTW, still think Celtic will win! icon_smile.gif)

Celtic huffed and puffed for long periods, it was a good win, but by no means easy. Hopefully looking for the same level of "easiness" on Sunday.

as the game carried on into the 80-85th minutes, I thought we were going to survive and get the point tbh. It wasn't actually a case of "survive" as such as Celtic weren't really putting us under major pressure - it was just defenders switching off for a few seconds and they won the game (which has been said many times before, they deserved to)

We all remember games like the 6-2 one where we were ripped apart by a superb, direct, hungry, skillful Celtic side. No chance of that on Sunday, they're simply nowhere near good enough. They'll probably scrape a 1-0 and we'll all be reminded ad infinitum how they are the "footballing side" in the league, and no matter how many trophies we win, we'll have gotten there with anti-football.

We all remember games like the 6-2 one where we were ripped apart by a superb, direct, hungry, skillful Celtic side

should have been 3-2 going into the HT break, Wallace was never offside icon_mad.gif well 2-2 to be honest, as Sutton was offside for the first goal if I remember correctly

yeah I still remember it icon_wink.gif

just as McD said people will look for different postives in the game. i already though your defense capable of keep a clean sheet against good sides at home tbh, so im just saying that i took a bit of confidence from other parts of the game

i expect us to win on sunday but i know that if we do it will be far from easy and it is no certainty. we have failed to win a few this season that were much easier than this one.

if we dont win it then considering the circumstances then i dont think we would deserve to win the league (which there isnt any chance of us doing if we dont)

You and I always argue Tony, but I like you and respect what you say. You're always an honest guy, whether I agree or not.

icon14.gif i feel you have to be honest as possible when it comes to these matters because whatever you say can easily come back and bite you on the a***

given the circumstances we wont agree too often on footballing matters but i dont mind an arguement as long as it comes honestly from someone who at least knows what they are talking about and more importantly that as it doesn't wander into the usual crap we are all too familiar with.

its probably the reason i post on here as you can get a decent discussion with guys like yourself and a few others. you get so much b****** from OF fans its unbelievable.

you only have to have a look at other fans forum to see what i mean. you cant help but cringe at some of them icon_biggrin.gif

6 European knockout games this season at home - 0 goals conceded.

I'd be willing to bet that's the best home defensive record in knockout ties in Europe this season by a distance.

And I'll echo tony's comments - I've never wanted to beat Celtic as badly as I do after all the bollocks that's eminated from all levels within the club with regards to the season extension.

Strachan's quotes in the Herald sum it all up for me.

6 European knockout games this season at home - 0 goals conceded.

And in five away games, we've lost only 2 goals. Thats pretty impressive in anyone's book.

I have never had an Old Firm match that was 'low' priority, I always want to beat them and I don't believe for one second that any true Celtic fan doesn't feel the exact same.

And I'd bet you have the worst goal scoring and possesion record in your home knockout ties too.

I didnt say the gay was low priority in itself, I said as far as old firm games go it was. Every single game is still bigger than any other league game of the year.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by Gary Toner:

The Rangers youth goals from the

Fleck icon_cool.gif

Commentator is a wee teet excited icon_biggrin.gif

Fleck's goals were outstanding. Such composure.

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">6 European knockout games this season at home - 0 goals conceded.

And in five away games, we've lost only 2 goals. Thats pretty impressive in anyone's book.

I have never had an Old Firm match that was 'low' priority, I always want to beat them and I don't believe for one second that any true Celtic fan doesn't feel the exact same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only reason they are saying that is if they lose then they can come out with the "we knew the league was over anyway" line.

Or if they win they'll be using "its really back on line" in a way they think its a win win situation.

Especially with it so finely balanced any Celtic fan that says that this is a low priority game is lying.

Archived