[FM 17] If You’re Not First, You’re Last Redux – Redemption For The “Nearly Men” Of Europe

ManUtd1

Centers it, but Kaya manages to get a touch, clearing it...but not far...the ball falls to Friedeck lurking outside the Genk box...he takes a touch to control...

2101da3dfc3952dfa22ab082f9515a23.jpg ef7739e6d17ab9968d54f27fdad4ce54.jpg

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

60th minute, Fleischer intercepts and lays it off for Tsakiridis as Frankfurt look to get forward...Tsakiridis and Fleischer combine with a neat passing move and incisive off the ball movement, as Frankfurt launch forward infull flight, with players hitting the seams in the Genk defense...

b244c51632d6001058a3890f0f25ddc9.jpg b707334f42aa50ce79c78e7ee54fbc83.jpg

But flashes inches wide of the post!  It should be 2!  Tsakiridis cannot believe his eyes!  He should have buried it.  Frankfurt in control, but needing another goal to make their dominance count.

ba596c8e0bad09923267b4183f179ade.jpg

25 minutes to play...Frankfurt ready their first substitution.  Camaj will come on for Kozlik, and switch with Stoilas so that Camaj is shielding the Frankfurt back line, with his Greek counterpart pushing forward in Kozlik's role.

e32e637fdabf512999b9854c3ab2d12b.jpg

Genk with a long goal kick, headed down to Tsakiridis...nice interplay from the German side moving up the pitch, and movement off the ball...played into Fleischer WHO'S SUCKED THE CENTRAL DEFENDER OUT OF POSITION, HE HAS FRIEDECK CLEAR IN THE MIDDLE, IF HE CAN FIND HIM...

f3a211c8fa4bb6dc4b90b3a8f810c265.jpg 9e44fde70f11371809c54fce380df3d3.jpg

YES HE CAN!!!  FRANKFURT'S TALISMANIC FORWARD SLOTS IT HOME!!!  THAT'S TWO!!!  AND 36 ON THE YEAR FOR YOUNG TINO!!!

857924d92172a5706ea41eddc2190e66.jpg

PUT SUPPER ON THE STOVE, MAMA!  THE BOYS ARE COMING HOME FOR DINNER!!!

15 minutes to play.  Abdala in for Stoilas and Karlsen on for Kone, as we drop to In Catene to see out the match.  10 minutes.  The Belgians have barely had a look at goal, much less an actual shot on target.

29c17a81bdeeda4e8ad3021a95d8e1af.jpg f31f1d0dca834356f2a3bc5abbb51f57.jpg

THE REFEREE PUTS THE WHISTLE TO HIS LIPS...THAT'S IT!  IT'S ALL OVER!!!  FRANKFURT HAVE DONE IT!!!   TELLEUS' MEN ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE!!!

7e91f017f5ddb2f8a3302bea43b3dfde.jpg 190ac7ac89caa425703862bb68b2764d.jpg

TELLUES UBER ALLES, INDEED!!!

13 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

With the amount of unavailable players for Genk, I am expecting nothing less than 3-0. Winning 2-0, will bring shame to the family

Hahahaha...to be fair, Genk had a number of loanees who were cup-tied or ineligible, including Rene Hajek, the kid who I was grooming at Stade de Reims to lead the Czech front line:

2c6aeaa8cc86a01cb49c9b526ed98059.jpg

3 minutes ago, hasdgfas said:

So in a week, you meet your goal with both a club and a country. Fantastic work, as always!

2 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

In all seriousness, congrats. The journey continues. Where next?

Hahaha...thanks, guys -- it was a good week!  I'm still basking in the afterglow.  

I honestly have no idea where to go next.  Monaco just sacked their manager, but I don't know if the time is right to go back to France.  

Ideally, I'd want to go to:

• Valencia or Atletico since I have yet to manage in Spain and La Liga has taken a tumble down the rankings.  They finished 3rd/4th respectively, though, so it is unlikely that they'll open up.

OR

• Go for something completely different, and head to Panathinaikos (finished 3rd in the Superleague) or Partizan (won the Super Liga Srbije).

Of the other eligible sides...newly-eligible Genk finished 6th in the Jupiler Pro League, but the CL final probably saved Schoofs his job.

The rest finished largely where expected so I don't expect an immediate firing: West Ham, 6th; Roma, 3rd; Sampdoria, 14th; Brugge, 2nd; Leverkusen, 10th; and Nice, 13th.

I could see returning to Italy.  Belgium would be good fun, and is another country I haven't managed in yet.  Leverkusen isn't going to happen for a while.  If I'm going to France, I'd rather go to Monaco than Nice (no particular reason, just a gut feeling).

Just now, Benjoe said:

@ManUtd1, this time you were just provoking with the Greek flag, aye you tosser? 

Anyways, you did as expected. Nothing more, nothing less. Diligent work!

Doh!  Cut/paste in the sheer excitement of the moment...

I mean...uhh...yeah...just taking the ****, mate, why do you ask? :lol:

And, yes, it would have been an epic ****-up if I'd managed to not win it this year, after knocking off Lyon and Saint-Etienne.

Edited by ManUtd1

If you prayed for my downfall, you should consider seeking a refund

5aec611f0d7cfb1b150268dd0435d54c.png

Eintracht Frankfurt

2046/47 Season Review

Together with Fiorentina, this is my longest stint at any club -- 6 seasons.  The success flowed much more slowly here, but was none the less sweet for the waiting.  If anything, building the club in this fashion was exactly what the doctor ordered after the utter and complete shambles at Neverkusen.  They must be shaking their heads in despair, eh?

But it is once again time to move on.  The club is in tremendous shape -- a title-winning, young squad, with a ****ton of cash in the bank.  If they play their cards right, then can dominate Germany for years to come.

My mind has already turned to the next chapter in this journey.  Monaco beckons, but I don't feel the time is right to return to France...even if their lax tax practices are appealing...

No, the time isn't right.  So, I'll bide my time.  For a little while, at least.  With the Copa America and Gold Cups kicking off shortly, I could even see Colombia or Mexico opening up...now, that would be a tasty morsel to nibble on.

Once again, leaving like a thief in the night while the city around me celebrates.  My work here is done.

Goals for 2047/48: Get a frickin' job, you lazy bum!

Squad|League Overview|Finances Overview|Income Detail|Expenditures Detail|Transfers

Bundesliga Fixtures|Champions League Fixtures|DFB-Pokal Fixtures

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

Champions League Review

Easily my favorite Champions League over the nearly 30 years of this save.  It's truly a shame that West Brom didn't become eligible, if only for the sheer novelty factor.  Then again, Genk is a pretty random club to add to the mix (especially with their tycoon twice reducing his investment in the club).  

Regardless, a great year.  Frankfurt completed, with a new challenge lurking somewhere on the horizon.

190ac7ac89caa425703862bb68b2764d.jpg afab25ab6b33cde72df3b44b44dc2777.jpg

23b3ce314114c3f03d7146346d3151c5.jpg

Challenge Overview

211965e098b101a140a507b8323b760d.png

ed1bf72faf9aa6cfe9bbe35b22d0cb3e.png

Real Madrid's manager, Angelo Fuentes, has left the Bernabeu to take the reins at Frankfurt.  Wow.

2f3443201b3b3b65f2139d43b463d4f1.png 

2d765010026787fc3a8adad83625791b.jpg

Being the 5th ranked league must have something to do with it.

8682572aea4fb933889cca9afe004571.jpg

Just now, kidthekid said:

wow. I've never noticed a situation where a coach leaves and the club signs a shortlisted player

It is a bit odd...but he's probably the best goalkeeping prospect in Europe right now, and I left Frankfurt with over $500M in the bank...  I wouldn't have expected him to go to Germany is all -- rather, I'd expect Chelsea or United to snap him up.

The managerial merry-go-round is in full swing in mid-July, but nothing has opened up.  Colombia recovered from a 3rd-place group spot in the Copa America to reach the final.  I rejected an interview at Monaco and Gladbach...although the latter made me sad.  Poor Junter.

10 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Wow.  I guess when you sign a Real Madrid manager, this is what you should expect...

a9d789f8a82d3d5e067e9f97153ae8d9.jpg 

Mind you, we just won the frickin' Champions League!  $296M.

This is one of the very few things I hate about FM. The AI is ridiculously bad at finances and squad building. I mean sometimes you benefit from their stupidity by shopping from the reserves, but it's still annoying to see.

5 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

This is one of the very few things I hate about FM. The AI is ridiculously bad at finances and squad building. I mean sometimes you benefit from their stupidity by shopping from the reserves, but it's still annoying to see.

To be fair, it has gotten better over the years.  But I don't dispute the fundamental point -- players have a significant advantage over the AI when it comes to squad building.

2 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

I mean...uhh...yeah...just taking the ****, mate, why do you ask? :lol:

It's simple, really

Billedresultat for Some Men Just Want To Watch The World Burn gif

And I believe that you might be one of them. *DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUN*

This break has rejuvenated me.  More than 5 months now, sleeping in at the Chateau.  Breakfast with the boys.  Football on the television.  The hot tub steaming in the back.  

It's enough to drive a man insane.  Ludwig has been staying in the guest house, and we can't stop plotting our next move.  We just need the right opportunity to open up.

No, Ludwig.  That wasn't a crack about Emma.  

One-track mind, I swear.

When it rains, it pours.  3 very appealing positions come open within a matter of days in late December.  I've applied for 2 of them, weighing up the 3rd.

ed63254dd9c712fc5168ab094d38dabc.jpg

[Edit: I've applied for the 3rd now.  The first one that opened up is the least appealing.  Big decision to be made here.]

Edited by ManUtd1

Anderlecht just got a New Zealand tycoon, as well, which makes Belgium veeery interesting.  These are not easy choices.  To be fair, I have yet to interview with any of the three.

Boom.  Choices to be made, gentlemen.  Choices to be made.

180895551e615f8ec402bd757d78e533.png 

9a57646c0d5c693a27813a0617bcd27b.png 

7912afe108d27b03982d0864dba4c994.png 

Sampdoria sit 19th, and are proposing a transfer budget of $575k, with an $800k wage budget.

Atletico are in 11th, with an $15M+ transfer budget, a $2M+ wage budget, and hold a spot in the Europa League knockout rounds.

Brugge are in 10th, with an $11M+ transfer budget, a $1.6M wage budget, and a spot in the Europa League knockout rounds.

Honestly, it's a tough call.

22 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

Sampdoria, Brügge, aaaand... DALKURD!

Serious guess is that Sampdoria and Atletico were your first attractions, but you came to your senses and realized Brügge would be amazing too. Sampdoria is the least appealing (already managed in Italy), and you're torn between the other two. 

I'm torn too. 

The final was like a preseason game in the end. I'd go Brugge for something different. Couldn't have you upstaging me at Sampdoria! (Although that wouldn't be too hard....)

I'd probably go to Atletico, not often you can have a save with them, without them already being one of the big dogs.

Plus, you know Telleus would rock the Simeone style all black everything suit.

3 hours ago, Benjoe said:

Serious guess is that Sampdoria and Atletico were your first attractions, but you came to your senses and realized Brügge would be amazing too. Sampdoria is the least appealing (already managed in Italy), and you're torn between the other two. 

I'm torn too. 

2 hours ago, Joe. said:

Brugge.

2 hours ago, Keano16 said:

The final was like a preseason game in the end. I'd go Brugge for something different. Couldn't have you upstaging me at Sampdoria! (Although that wouldn't be too hard....)

1 hour ago, BoxToBox said:

I'd probably go to Atletico, not often you can have a save with them, without them already being one of the big dogs.

Plus, you know Telleus would rock the Simeone style all black everything suit.

I've given this a tremendous amount of thought.  

Sampdoria was never really likely once Brugge and Atletico became available.  They'd be an intriguing challenge, and I loved my time in Italy.  But, given how incredibly dire their league situation is and how awful a side they have....it seemed foolish, and a potential Neverkusen 2.0.   With better options available, it wasn't the right time.

So, it was either Madrid or Bruges...an extremely difficult decision.  I could argue it either way.  There are definitely pros and cons.  In the end, one side won out...barely...

Purgatory's kind of like the in-betweeny one. You weren't really ****, but you weren't all that great either.  Like Tottenham.  

Do you believe in all that stuff, Hakan? About Tottenham?

863px-Club_Brugge_KV_logo.svg.thumb.png.eac0adabafcf89b84092be7da231493b.png

Club Brugge KV

January 2048 Mini-Update

I admit it.  I lied.  At the presser to announce my arrival in Bruges.  I told them this was the easy choice.  It wasn't.  But, here we are.  In my heart I know this was the right move, but there's a lot of work to be done.

I'm frankly a little shocked at the state of the side, given that the Blauw-Zwart have been getting into the Champions League knockout rounds.  It isn't like the Atletico squad was any better, though, and La Liga is in dire straights.  Belgium, on the other hand, sits directly behind La Liga in the coefficients rankings, in 6th, and could feasibly overtake the Spaniards with a little effort.  After all, Genk were in the Champions League final 7 months ago, Anderlecht were just bought by some eccentric Kiwi tycoon who can't stay off Twitter, and this is a club with true history.  2 Champions League finals, in 1976 and 1978, with a devoted fanbase.

Now, if I can just wrap my head around the league system...but first, I need to meet the lads and begin laying out the tactical changes I want to implement...

a80dffb3cfdd3a513219fa423793e6bc.png

d0670e7bbe7d82150670b1163be5f450.jpg

5b86b295cf330ac97354c59097fe3e28.jpg