FM Touch 2017 - Tablet owners questions, thoughts and comparisons thread

I thought this thread would be a good idea as a lot of the questions asked in this forum are for tablets and rather than the same questions being repeated again, having questions asked and answered in one thread by other forum members should be pretty helpful.

Also, for general comparisons and even those who want to drop little reviews, if you could mention the tablet you're using that would be great.

I have a Lenovo Tablet and Nvidia Shield and will post my thoughts in comparison to FM Touch 2016 a little later once I've played a couple of seasons however if anyone has any questions regarding Touch 2017 and those tablets I'll do my best to answer.

I have a Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 and I've found this year it cannot cope with 3d graphics, very laggy and doesn't show skin colour correctly. So I've started using 2d pitch and as it's an older Tablet I was going to bump it up a little and get a second hand Nexus 9. I've read this used to not cope well with in game graphics in FM even with good graphics card on board. Does anyone have any experience with the Nexus 9 this year?

I have a Lenovo tab2 and my friend has a Samsung, both have the same lag on the 3d match, I don't think the tablet matters much I think it's more the game, I only really bought touch for the 3d match too so I'm really disapointed in SI

I've not yet got FMT17. does anyone have Samsung galaxy note pro 12.2 and if so how does it run. I played FMT16 on it and it was ok although 3D engine didn't run great which did surprise me because it's wasn't exactly a cheap tablet. I had to use 2D. I'd assume it would be the same with this.

I have an Nvidia shield and just like last years game it really isn't up to standard for me! The match engine is definitely better however the game just doesn't play smooth or quick enough for me to really immerse myself and enjoy it.

It's great that we now have proper FM on tablets however for me it just isn't quite there yet, I feel that tablets in general still struggle to process the stripped down version and that's why we get the lag and stutter in 3D, screen lag in general and longer loading times.

If you can put up with the occasional screen lag when navigating pages, text commentary and depending on tablet 2D key match highlights then by all means get the game however if like me these things will stop your enjoyment then hold off!

FMM plays really well on tablets and for me is good enough for when I can't play FM on my PC. FM Touch imo is not good enough as it stands, it is on it's way but I feel we need stronger tablets on the market, FM Touch 2020 will be where it's at :brock:

On 12/11/2016 at 19:58, Chris391971 said:

I have no issues on my iPad Pro 9.7. No lag or crashes. Tried all cameras without any problem. IOS 10.1.1 Playing England all leagues down to national league north/south. Although the iPad does get hot and battery drains quickly. 

How big size wise is FM on the ipad?

On 08/11/2016 at 10:22, oleg8979 said:

I have Samsung Tab S2. Quite strong tablet...

FMT 16 was fine in terms of 3D match

FMT 17 is disaster - very laggy.

So, there is definitely some issue with 3D this year.

I have an S2 but have not purchased the game. 

3D does not really interest me either, always preferred 2D. With that in mind, how does it run on the S2? Is it relatively speedy? I found the processing time not great on 16 so wondered if it had improved.

I just installed the FMT on my tablet, thinking it'd be a different kind of game, but it looks exactly the same... Nothing seems optimised for touch screens. Have I done something wrong? Or were my expectations out of whack? 

13 hours ago, Shauny1990 said:

I have an S2 but have not purchased the game. 

3D does not really interest me either, always preferred 2D. With that in mind, how does it run on the S2? Is it relatively speedy? I found the processing time not great on 16 so wondered if it had improved.

IMO, processing is better in FMT 17, matches are faster - the match clock is running faster between highlights

But don't know about 2D, didn't play it this way

Different to what exactly Slaxi? The PC version of touch, the full PC game or FMM? & what were your expectations?

The game is pretty much the same as the PC version of touch, it has been slimmed down for tablets ie 30 season career, smaller database etc, however there are no special optimised touch screen features, in fact depending on the tablet the touch screen can get somewhat laggy.

It is a very good game however if you can access the PC version and you bought touch on tablet for a different gaming experience then I'd get a refund if you are in the time window.

For me FM touch on tablets is for those who can't play on PC or for people who simply don't have the time to always sit at a PC so use it as a portable to continue their career when possible, obviously it can also be used for other reasons too however that is kind of how I view FM touch on tablets.

Anyway, let us know what you were expecting and hopefully the above helps :)

37 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

Different to what exactly Slaxi? The PC version of touch, the full PC game or FMM? & what were your expectations?

The game is pretty much the same as the PC version of touch, it has been slimmed down for tablets ie 30 season career, smaller database etc, however there are no special optimised touch screen features, in fact depending on the tablet the touch screen can get somewhat laggy.

It is a very good game however if you can access the PC version and you bought touch on tablet for a different gaming experience then I'd get a refund if you are in the time window.

For me FM touch on tablets is for those who can't play on PC or for people who simply don't have the time to always sit at a PC so use it as a portable to continue their career when possible, obviously it can also be used for other reasons too however that is kind of how I view FM touch on tablets.

Anyway, let us know what you were expecting and hopefully the above helps :)

Ah. Yeah I was expecting a different UI optimised for tablets with bigger buttons and stuff. I tried playing my FM game streamed through steam on my tablet, (Surface Pro 4), but I couldn't make substitutions because there was no click and drag, or tap and hold, that I could see. 

It's not a big deal then, the touch version came with the full game, so I don't feel hard done by at all. Was just hoping it was something I could put on my tablet and ... ahem... sneak a few games while at work :)

When you say 30 season career, does that mean on the FMT game it ends after 30 seasons? Not that I've ever reached 30, I think my max is about 20 when I was an unemployed teenager.

Thanks for your help

2 hours ago, oleg8979 said:

IMO, processing is better in FMT 17, matches are faster - the match clock is running faster between highlights

But don't know about 2D, didn't play it this way

Sorry bit confused, you said it was a bit of a disaster a few posts up though?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Slaxi said:

Ah. Yeah I was expecting a different UI optimised for tablets with bigger buttons and stuff. I tried playing my FM game streamed through steam on my tablet, (Surface Pro 4), but I couldn't make substitutions because there was no click and drag, or tap and hold, that I could see. 

It's not a big deal then, the touch version came with the full game, so I don't feel hard done by at all. Was just hoping it was something I could put on my tablet and ... ahem... sneak a few games while at work :)

When you say 30 season career, does that mean on the FMT game it ends after 30 seasons? Not that I've ever reached 30, I think my max is about 20 when I was an unemployed teenager.

Thanks for your help

I play FM and FMT Touch on my Surface Pro 4 just fine. There's no inbuilt touch support, that's true that the Surface Pen emulates a mouse adequately enough, and there is the touchpad if you have the touchcover as well

50 minutes ago, Shauny1990 said:

Sorry bit confused, you said it was a bit of a disaster a few posts up though?

3D itself is laggy, didn't try the patch yet, hope it will be better. But in overall - the match runs faster between highlights and processing between matches is faster

2 hours ago, oleg8979 said:

3D itself is laggy, didn't try the patch yet, hope it will be better. But in overall - the match runs faster between highlights and processing between matches is faster

Do your play on the 8" on the 9.7" Tab S2?? If it is the 8" do you find it a little too scrunched together?

Thanks for your replies by the way.

10 hours ago, Slaxi said:

Thanks for your help

No worries at all  :thup:

As for the 30 season career, yes it simply ends after 30 seasons on the tablet version of FMT due to limitations on tablets, you could continue the save on the PC after 30 seasons if you wanted to as the PC version doesn't have a cut off and they're cross save compatible but for those playing exclusively on tablets it is 30 season careers at most.

Similar to you I have never played that long on a save but the season limit would still put me off if FMT was a game I was playing exclusively on my tablet for some reason however for your use of sneaking a few games in at work, it is pretty ideal imo.

in addition to which:

1. ridiculous numbers and types of injuries
  2. player who has been injured all season is now unhappy at lack of game time and demands matches
  3. no team talks, so over-confidence/emotional state of players cannot be modulated >> players under-performing
  4. sloooow games and instant results now clearly impact your overall result negatively.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Geoff said:

i'm playing fmt on an i7 16gb ram laptop and it's still laggy. takes ages for game to load and considering it's the touch version, it seems to handle worse than the full fm 16 i was playing on the same laptop.

Do you happen to have a very high resolution monitor?

On 11/17/2016 at 15:14, Slaxi said:

Thanks for your help

On 11/17/2016 at 16:58, Lucas Weatherby said:

I play FM and FMT Touch on my Surface Pro 4 just fine. There's no inbuilt touch support, that's true that the Surface Pen emulates a mouse adequately enough, and there is the touchpad if you have the touchcover as well

Lucas / Slaxi,

What kind of game setups are you using on the SP4 in full fat and FMT, in particular how many players have you got loaded?  How does the 3d match engine perform and what level of detail are you running?

On 11/18/2016 at 09:46, Geoff said:

i'm playing fmt on an i7 16gb ram laptop and it's still laggy. takes ages for game to load and considering it's the touch version, it seems to handle worse than the full fm 16 i was playing on the same laptop.

Im playing on an i5 4GB ram with Intel HD graphics 4000 and it runs fine, not as smooth but there is no lag or slow processing times.

On 17/11/2016 at 16:58, Lucas Weatherby said:

Would the surface pro 4 intel i5 4 gb run both FM and FMT as it's in offer so trying too find out.

• Administrators

I can't vouch for the i5, 4Gb model from personal experience. I have the i5, 8Gb RAM model and also run my Surface Pro 4 in a custom installed resolution (1440x960) so I couldn't really offer a review based on the Surface Pro's default settings.

Good news for Samsung tablets users: there is an update for Game Tuner app.

And now it allows to configure resolution ratio in 5% steps (instead of just 50%, 75% and 100%)

I used 50% before and it was very blurry... And 75% was laggy

Now I've set 70% and it works just fine! Not blurry and not laggy!

Still, awaiting for SI improve the performance anyway... But at least the game is more enjoyable now

48 minutes ago, oleg8979 said:

Good news for Samsung tablets users: there is an update for Game Tuner app.

And now it allows to configure resolution ratio in 5% steps (instead of just 50%, 75% and 100%)

I used 50% before and it was very blurry... And 75% was laggy

Now I've set 70% and it works just fine! Not blurry and not laggy!

Still, awaiting for SI improve the performance anyway... But at least the game is more enjoyable now

Do you know if there is anyway us 8inchers (no pun intended!!) can adjust the resolution so that you can add the titles of the icons down the left hand side rather than or instead of the icons? ie "Squad" "Tactics" "Finance" etc rather than having to look and in some cases guess via the icons!?

18 minutes ago, Shauny1990 said:

Do you know if there is anyway us 8inchers (no pun intended!!) can adjust the resolution so that you can add the titles of the icons down the left hand side rather than or instead of the icons? ie "Squad" "Tactics" "Finance" etc rather than having to look and in some cases guess via the icons!?

I don't think that it is possible on ANY tablet. At least, on my 10" tablet there are only icons in all resolutions

42 minutes ago, oleg8979 said:

I don't think that it is possible on ANY tablet. At least, on my 10" tablet there are only icons in all resolutions

Really?? I really didnt know that. Could owners of other 10" and above confirm whether or not this is true?? I have definatly saw tablet screenshots with words aswell as icons.

3 hours ago, Shauny1990 said:

I'd imagine running a custom skin that forced the wide sidebar all the time would be possible, but this year I can't seem to get skins to load up on my tablet at all.

31 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

I'd imagine running a custom skin that forced the wide sidebar all the time would be possible, but this year I can't seem to get skins to load up on my tablet at all.

Could you keep me updated if you find one please?

3 minutes ago, Shauny1990 said:

Could you keep me updated if you find one please?

It's not that I can't find them, it's that they're not showing up in the options to switch to like they should, when placed in the tablets skins folder.

19 hours ago, Shauny1990 said:

Really?? I really didnt know that. Could owners of other 10" and above confirm whether or not this is true?? I have definatly saw tablet screenshots with words aswell as icons.

If I set 60% resolution - it gives me the text you mentioned !!! And some other things that were missing before... So try and see

And in general - the new update made the 3D lag even worse. I simply don't understand why it was released at all... 

The game now lags even at 60% resolution. I don't understand how this buggy app was released at all :mad: My last FM bought definitely!

3 hours ago, oleg8979 said:

If I set 60% resolution - it gives me the text you mentioned !!! And some other things that were missing before... So try and see

And in general - the new update made the 3D lag even worse. I simply don't understand why it was released at all... 

The game now lags even at 60% resolution. I don't understand how this buggy app was released at all :mad: My last FM bought definitely!

I will try this!! That could be a serious gamechanger for me so thanks.

Archived