[FM17] Newcastle United; Join the Rafalution!!

Stu_UBJ

Newcastle United
CZcACoX.png

Welcome to the Newcastle United team thread for Football Manager 2017! If you are looking for the FM16 equivalent, CLICK HERE. Now, as I am sure you all know, Newcastle have been relegated to the EFL Championship, the 2nd tier of English football. So it is likely that many of you will see this as a great challenge for your FM save. Over the next few posts, I will outline the squad, the club, the staff and all other important things you'll need to know about managing this great club. Plus, there will be transfer targets, tactics, and staff worth signing too!

Nicknames; The Magpies, Toon Army, The Toon
Stadium; St James' Park, Newcastle, 52, 404 all-seater capacity

Newcastle United Football Club (often abbreviated to NUFC) is an English professional association football club based in Newcastle upon Tyne. The club was founded in 1892 by the merger of Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End, and has played at its current home ground, St James' Park, ever since. The ground was developed into an all-seater stadium in the mid-1990s and now has a capacity of 52,405. The club has been a member of the Premier League for all but two years (three including the 16/17 season) of the competition's history, and has never dropped below English football's second tier since joining the Football League in 1893. The club has been owned by Mike Ashley since 2007, succeeding long term chairman and owner Sir John Hall.

st-james-park-newcaste.jpg

They have won for League Championship titles, 6 FA Cups, and a Charity Shield, as well as the 1969 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, and the 2006 UEFA Intertoto Cup. Newcastle United has the ninth highest total of trophies won by an English club. The club's most successful era was between 1904 and 1910, where they won three of their First Division titles, and an FA Cup. The club is the 17th richest in the world in terms of annual revenue, generating €169.3m in 2015. Historically the club's highest ranking on that list was in 1999, when they were ranked as the 5th richest, and second in England only to Manchester United. The club were highly successful in the Premier League in the 1990s and early 2000s, but have been mostly struggling since the 2006-07 season, and have been relegated twice, in 2009 and 2016.

bec4c9690dfce656de1e910ef0d64b8d.png

They have a fierce local rivalry with Sunderland, and the two clubs have engaged in the Tyne–Wear derby since 1898. The club's traditional kit colours are black and white striped shirts, black shorts and black socks. Their traditional crest takes elements of the city coat of arms, which features two grey seahorses.

Ryan+Taylor+Newcastle+United+v+Sunderlan

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Squad

CZcACoX.png

I will now outline the playing squad at the club, sorting the players by Current Ability(CA). 

Goalkeepers
a31dc5a6b5a429d666b180fb7038a3f9.png

An are the club are certainly well off. With three GK at the club rated around the same CA, you're really spoiled for choice. Also, with Tim Krul away at Ajax, come next summer, you'll have four top GK to choose from. If you want to, you could shift two of the current staff on, and promote young Freddie Woodman to the squad, although my preference is to loan him out, and review the situation in a season. I'd release/sell all but the top 5 in that list, as none of them will be close to the first team.

Right Backs
7016b362b34482d2d49c4f596644d0e9.png

Quite good here, too. Your two natural choices are the experienced Jesús Gámez, or the fleet-footed DeAndre Yedlin. My personal preference is Gámez, a much more solid defensive player. If injuries occur, you'll have Mbemba and Anita who can slot in if needs be. Jamie Sterry could develop nicely, so may be worth keeping an eye on him at Coventry, whilst Craig Spooner won't make it.

Left Backs
728a019856d53cb4a9fedf6c5ead333b.png

Plenty of depth again! With three good quality DL to choose from, you're spoiled. I used Lazaar, who offered a good attacking threat, whilst Haidara was loaned out, and Dummett as solid cover. However, any of the three will serve well in this division. Gámez and Clark can play out here if you need them to. The rest, I'd send on their merry way, as none of them will make it.

Central Defenders
c02ec86447f1b28169136183b7fe34a5.png

A big list. Mbemba, Lascelles, Hanley  and Clark are your main options to start. I personally went with Mbemba and Hanley, as the Scot offers much more physicality, which served well in this division. Findlay and Satka have some potential, so watch out for them, but the rest, I'd show them the door. 

Central Midfielders
88d3cdc3f8d460acd263453f36113c32.png

I've included DM and AMC in the CM list, as it all fits together in the decision of how you'll play. Tioté is transfer listed on the save, and in my experience, stays unhappy, before signing a pre-contract elsewhere. So, you can either utilize him and let him leave on a free, or sell him while you can make some money. Ayozé is best in AMC according to the game, although he's still a ST for me! 
In central midfield, you're truly spoiled. Diamé, Anita, Hayden, Shelvey, and Colback are your choices. Diamé frustrated me no end with his Long Shots PPM (I'd un-train this ASAP[which I was unaware of for 6 months due to PPM bug]), but is a fantastic replacement for Sissoko in the engine room. Everyone else, I'd sell or release. Midfield is lacking some future talent :( Be mindful of returning players in the following summer!

Right Mid/Wing
4bf5c184d3de4c8f6f89252113030e1f.png

Whilst you only have one natural RW in the 1st squad, you have plenty of cover, with Yedlin, Gouffran, and Aarons able to play there(Aarons is actually natural on both wings). Again, Ritchie is frustrating with the Long Shot PPM, so I'd get rid of it ASAP. Gillead looks talented, but the rest I'd get rid. 

Left Mid/Wing
42a58c5529516402a79c899a3d8e45de.png

Atsu first choice here, no question. He is dynamite. Pace, skill, just lacks the final ball. Get him to fire it across the box is what I did, and he got goals and assists. Gouffran and Aarons cover you nicely here, with Lazaar an option if you play with ML rather than AML. Get rid of the rest.

Strikers
aac7c12dd80a8c2d05ce1de196b133e3.png

Ayoze, Mitrovic, Gayle, or Murphy. They're your choices this season, all different types of players, giving you no end of options up top. I found Mitrovic frustrating, Gayle ineffective, and Murphy barely got a look in. Ayoze was my choice and was perfect. I'd keep Armstrong, maybe Toney, and release the rest.

Here's my preferred Starting XI;

efbd315fc9b38b925baf1ffd7dbc7fad.png

Tactics

CZcACoX.png

Now, to the tactics. I always think that there is no right or wrong way to play the game, or how to line up. Having played the past 8 incarnations of this game, I am still far from an expert in this field! Here is some suggestions on how you can line up with Newcastle;

8a6e14ee1fddaec9b85d061f8d820db4.png

The good old 4-5-1 is always one worth looking at, and is one tactic which should be everyone's three choices, due to it's versatility. I use Control and Structured, with a Lower Tempo, allowing my team to take it's time in carving out chances. It's my main tactic in my Newcastle save, and it's got me to the PL with minimal fuss.

55854fb276199c317447608c3386865a.png

Another tactic well worth thinking about is the 4-2-3-1. Offering a more attacking variant to the 4-5-1, the AMC is deployed to aid the ST. I have used it here and there with Newcastle. Played the same as above(Lower Tempo, Structured, Control), you can really dominate a game with this.

4c380849404a61697b918be5c9349d83.png

Third and final tactic in my trio is this...less conventional setup. I have used this quite a few times, to shake things up, and it worked. Using the fullbacks to provide width if need be, this concentrates on the strong MC and ST options Newcastle have available. Almost always controlling the game, and carving out many chances.

Below I will post any tactics of you guys, that have worked for you. Please feel free to post them!

Transfers

CZcACoX.png

This is probably the section you've all been waiting for!! 

At the start, you will get around £5m to spend, which is not a huge amount, but with the squad you have, you don't really need to spend it. You will receive offers for Ayozé, Tioté, Lascelles during the first(and second) transfer windows, which you can choose to cash in on or not. It is worth noting that Tioté is unhappy and Transfer Listed at the start, and doesn't want to sign a new contract, so you need to make a choice, whether to sell, or utilize him and allow him to leave on a free transfer.

karl-darlow-premier-league-newcastle-cry
Darlow(L), will be a very good GK for the division

GK; As above, this is a super-strong area of the squad. Karl Darlow and Matz Sels should be more than good enough for this division, and you have Freddie Woodman and Rob Elliot. I'd maybe look to loan out Woodman for the season, and potentially sell Elliot once he returns from his injury.
In; none
Out; Woodman(loan), Elliot(sell)

jamaal-lascelles-close-up-newcastle-unit
New Captain Jamaal Lascelles could be a mainstay in defence for years to come

Defence; Another strong area of the team, that shouldn't really need any investment at the start. Four top DC to choose from, and fullbacks either side that are better than this division. Maybe wait until January before bringing anyone in. Mings can be loaned in, although on several saves I have known him to be transfer listed in January, for as little as £1.1m. As you're overstocked in DL, you could loan out one of Haidara and Dummett.
In; Dayot Upamecano(RB Salzburg), Tyrone Mings(Bournemouth)
Out; Dummett(loan), Haidara(loan)

Newcastle-United-v-Wolverhampton-Sky-Bet
The Dynamic Duo of Shelvey and Diamé could be key to promotion push

Central Midfield(DM/CM/AM); Another area you are well stocked. Your starting XI can comprise of any combination of Tioté, Anita, Shelvey, Diamé, Hayden, Colback. There isn't any real midfield "talent" as such, not one on the reserves or youth team looks like making it, so you could make this an area of investment. You can also look to loan or sell Colback, sell Tioté, and even loan out Hayden, depending on how you go.
In; Sander Berge(Valerenga), Afonso Sousa(Porto), Yacine Adli(PSG)
Out; Colback(loan/sell), Tioté(sell), Hayden(loan)

matt-ritchie-goal-celebration-dummett-ha
Matt Ritchie will be an integral part of the team

Wingers; With Atsu, Ritchie and Aarons, you should be fine for the season. However, maybe a loan deal would give you that 4th option on the flanks, just on case. Do remember that 2017 is AFCON year, so you will lose Atsu, which could leave you short.
In; Serge Gakpé(Genoa, loan), Sheyi Ojo(Liverpool, loan), Bilal Basacikoglu(Feyenoord, loan), Conor McAleny(Everton, loan)
Out; none

3786309600000578-3755175-image-a-49_1471
Gayle and Ayozé have the potential to fire you to the Premier League at the first time of asking.

Strikers; Again, an area I don't think is requiring any transfer activity. However, if you sell Ayozé, you may want to look at another ST to replace him.
In; Chuba Akpom(Arsenal, loan), Lucas Boye(Torino, loan), Diafra Sakho(West Ham), Leonardo Ubaldi(Spal), Nicholas Pierini(Sassuolo), Afimico Pululu(Basel)
Out; Ayozé(sell)

i am also looking forward to it,  I think i have my team playing the rafa way just now 3 seasons in after using an old tactic just to see the engine. I just dont know what to do with the cm who is supposed to be a good tackler and happy to bring the ball up the park to play along side my deeplying playmaker, and also a bit unsure over the striker role, I have tried bwm and bbm but currently looking at the cm (S)  he's supposed to be a mobile striker who can do a bit of everything.  this is the set up I'm using just now and my first team

Newcastle United_  Overview-3.png

Made a fair few signings there Callamity, I'm using the same formation with slightly different roles. Hayden's solid as my defensive midfielder as a recommendation. Could go DLP-Support and CM-D?

Gayle got injured two league games in for me, low back stress fracture so had to power through with Murphy and now Mitro. Mitro is clearly an ideal foil for the the rest of the team as in his 6 appearances he has 6 assits, downside is only the one goal.

Ritchie is a machine, much like IRL he's been my best player. 10 games, 6 goals and 3 assists.

Trying to blood more youngsters this time so had no transfers in the first window, playing Ben El-Mhanni and Callum Roberts when I feel it's safe to. El-Mhanni has made 8 appearances off the bench, Roberts only the 3, but both are highly rated by the staff so reckon they'll be worth persisting with.

this is six windows into the game mate so the signings are sorta square pegsfrom what i had and now what im moving into. unfortunately ritchie wasnt suitable for what i was using, but have id love him for this though.

the reason I havent gone with that combo in midfield, is that from what I have read the dlp/regista type stays deeper for rafa and his partner would play like a bwm on support if he was reliable enough in this set up. I am trying to replicate this but I might end up falling into what you have suggested as it makes the most sense logically.

shame about gayle he hit 37 goals for me in 1st season and 28 in prem second season before I thought to go for a more rafalistic approach, I might start again to get a feel for the squad we have.

11 hours ago, callamity said:

yeah but tbh i only gave a chance to woodman as this wasnt supposed to be a serious save therefore development went to the wayside.

woodman is my first choice keeper believe it or not

the rest are just fodder :( ive done them an injustice

Freddie Woodman_ Overview Attributes.png

Adam Armstrong_ Overview Attributes.png

Rolando Aarons_ Overview Attributes.png

Yasin Ben El-Mhanni_ Overview Attributes.png

Callum Roberts_ Overview Attributes.png

You got a decent return on Armstrong there. What's that 15 or 16 league goals, in the premier league? Pretty decent as he hasn't developed that well! 

Great signings  @callamity

How have you found mitrovic? i really wanted to create a tactic that gets the best out of him, maybe a 442. But really struggled and then just resorted back to a 4231 with gayle up stop who bangs in the goals.

Tried mitro as a target man, DLF and complete forward and hes never hit the heights for me.

any suggestions? I dont want to end up selling him like in the last version. would like to maximise his potential and build team around him and ayoze.

2 hours ago, callamity said:

@tmason122 He is at Fulham on loan mate, He's scoring goals for fun in championship this has been his lowest return so far, usually gets between 25-30 goals a season there. I think he can become a good player

Ahh fair enough!

1 hour ago, wils2603 said:

Great signings  @callamity

How have you found mitrovic? i really wanted to create a tactic that gets the best out of him, maybe a 442. But really struggled and then just resorted back to a 4231 with gayle up stop who bangs in the goals.

Tried mitro as a target man, DLF and complete forward and hes never hit the heights for me.

any suggestions? I dont want to end up selling him like in the last version. would like to maximise his potential and build team around him and ayoze.

Haven't got FM17, but I would think Mitro would best operate as a supporting striker partnered with either a pace forward (Gayle) or a mobile AMC (perhaps Diame?) You could potentially try a 3-5-1-1? This is just me thinking out loud and basing my knowledge of previous FMs, but something like in the link below:

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=c326d

I've been using a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-2-3-1 with either Gayle or Mitrovic as the lone striker. Here's what I've found with Mitrovic - you have to play to his strengths. With Gayle you can set him as an Advanced Forward, put in low crosses and more often than not he'll be on the end of them (Atsu and Ritchie on either side works a treat). For the majority of my play through so far, I've played Perez as a Trequartista in behind Gayle and it gives the opposition defence something to think about.

With Mitro it's not that easy - you need to find the right person to play closest to him and think about their role. I've found that it doesn't work with a Trequartista behind him because it's too predictable - they just mark Mitro and the Trequartista gets stifled because there isn't an option ahead of him. I changed Mitro's role to a Complete Forward, and instead of a Trequartista I set the player behind him as an attacking midfielder and the crosses are set as mixed. This seems to benefit both players because the AI seems a little confused on who to pick up (either the Attacking Mid or Mitro), and it gives the wide players a couple of options. Plus, more often than not, Mitro causes enough mayhem that the AI aren't sure what to do with him. :D

I'm about half a season in at this point, so it's early, but this is what I've found to work well to accommodate both Gayle and Mitrovic.

I changed Mitro to a TM-Att last night and sped up my team's tempo, and in the 5 games he played in that role he's went and scored 6 goals.

Gayle is fit again, came on as a sub in the last 30 mins in the last two games as an AF-A and he's scored a goal too despite being painfully out of shape.

Agree 100% with GeordieInExile - Atsu and Ritchie on the wings are where it's at. I'm using Atsu as a W-A, RItchie as WM-A with cut inside set up and both to shoot less often. Atsu has the downside of not being the best crosser, but a lot of his crosses end up deflecting into an attacker and getting us a fair few goals that way.

LM is definitely a weak area, if I can get an Atsu who can cross we'd be unstoppable.

Approaching the end of October, got Premier League interest in Lascelles and Shelvey, hoping to sell Dumbo, Anita, Tiote and bring in a few Premier League level cheap signings. 

Expecting to lose Perez, agreed to sell him for 17mil at the end of September - regretting that now -  but Diame is a solid replacement and with 17mil I can probably get an extremely good player for that.

Diamé has been a royal pain in the arse for me. He shoots every opportunity from range! Hoping that he will lose that PPM sooner rather than later.

34 games in and top by 8 points. Had a cracking season, but lost our way in past few games :(

Just confirmed our place in the EFL Final, beating Chelsea in the Semis. Just Man City to get by!

They underestimated us and played a very weakened team at St James' Park in the first leg - we tanked them 4-0. They came offensive and full strength for the second leg at Stamford Bridge, I'd opted for a more defensive 4-1-4-1 for this game and they won 5-4. Ridiculous game, despite my attempts at being more defensive it didn't seem to help, but who cares when we're in the final?

As we're approaching the end of January, I'll cover the transfers we've been involved with.

So far we've brought in:

Michael Carrick (Loan - no wage or fee)

Marco Asensio (Loan - no wage or fees) and even better, it's until the end of next season, and we've got an agreement to buy for 28mil. So far he's played 6(1) scored 5 and assisted 1. Essentially he's the Atsu upgrade I wanted.

Karim Rekik (1.2mil) Bought to replace Mbemba who was all set to go to Arsenal, then failed to get a WP so I've now got an extra CB.

Julian Green (2.7mil) Rotation midfielder who can cover a number of positions.

David Davis (2.3mil) decent hard worked defensive mid

Sold:

Anita (5mil) to Burnley - wasn't getting game time so made sense.

Tiote (1.3mil) to Atlanta - as above.

Hi Guys,

I got off to a bit of rocky start trying to get a 4-2-3-1 to work. In the end I moved over to a 4-4-2 and have gone on to a solid run of form, but still only in 2nd a point behind Huddersfield. Got a great few draws in the EFL Cup as well, made it to the Semi's without facing a Premier League side. Got Leicester to face there now. 

Caught the injury bug badly at MR, be stuck with Yedlin as my only fit MR and he's been fantastic there for me.

Upfront, I've got Mitro as a DLF(s) and Gayle next to him as AF(a). They've been playing really well for me with 18 goals between the two of them by the 10th December.

Transfers - I've brought Ademola Lookman in from Charlton for £4m.

I got rid of Anita when he wouldn't accept less than £60k p/w for a contract extension. Got £7.25m for him from Swansea, which could rise to £10m.

Wouldn't mind getting rid of Colback or Daryl Murphy in January as well and hopefully keep hold of everyone else. 

@Welshace I picked him up in January window for £1.1m, plus £500k after 50 apps. Not been wonderful for me though, has to be said, Lazaar still my preferred choice.

Struggling to move on quite a few of the players in July 2017. Colback, Dummett, Haidara, Yedlin, Clark and a few others rejecting every contract offered to them by other clubs. Made one huge signing, Domenico Berardi in!! Will post some screenshots later, and am also about to start on the OPs.

1st season in premiership going well start of october am first

934b00bf5a8afc6435fed100eadd585a.png

transfers in                                                                                                                                                                                                   transfers out

0e9524cdecb38fee9c45dd5cd8122a5d.png6820ce03e7429f9f1f87d32d380a98e2.png

Season one complete, and in a complete surprise we won the league. Who would have thought with a squad like this we'd come top?

We also won the League Cup, beating Man City 2-1 at Wembley. Gayle and Diame for us, Gabriel Jesus scoring for them. We were lucky they played quite a weakened team, but they still had John Stones, Andre Gomes, David Silva and Aguero starting, 

Used the Summer Window to sign Asensio permanently. 28mil for him, but in the 24(3) games he played he scored 7, assisted 8 and had an average rating of 7.57. Can only get better, well worth the money. Also brought in an FM favourite - Youri TIelemans for 12.5mil, as Everton offered 28mil for Jonjo Shelvey which, despite his performances in the Championship, was just too much money to reject. 

A load of younger players were brought in too, which I'll screenshot later, but the main one was Maitland-Niles from Arsenal on a free who I've got a lot of hope for.

Trying to sell Saivet, Riviere, De Jong and Krul now. Krul is a weird one, got him to sign a new contract so I didn't lose him on a free (and at a lower wage) but no one is interested. Considering keeping him and selling Selz if no one wants to sign Krul.

Also binned off Colback. 1.6mil, still feels like I've overcharged for the waste of space.

So back to the Premier League, and Europa League to go alongside it! Will need to strengthen the squad, looking at a quality 3rd choice striker to back up Gayle & Mitro. Looking at Moussa Dembele from Celtic who seems to have a lot of potential. 

Now my update! Into 2nd season, promoted as Champions. 

375326dab0bf4ad973f12b31b5b36435.png

A few incomings, mainly youngsters. £2.8m in loan fees alone, good business!

581bbdf1491aa4cd7db1fed7634a95c4.png

Well over the 100 point mark, setting a new record with 110. We even managed a January dip in form!

9ea502a3a1671acbc7c683f148e35adb.png

Big summer. Duván Zapata is a solid ST, and a free. Domenico Berardi should give me a solid goals supply from wherever he plays. Denis Zakaria will be by long term TIoté replacement. Josué gives me a solid creative option, and set piece prowess. finally, Joao Cancelo is a huuge deal, our new DR, and a hefty price tag.

We have started well, 2 wins(2-0 v Stoke, 1-0 v Chelsea) and 1 defeat(1-0 v Man Utd) in the opening three games.

I've just finished my first season and we finished top and won the EFL cup but I was still not happy with our performance in the league. The amount of close games we lost due to last minute goals was unreal and the amount of long shots Shelvey, Diame and Ritchie had each game was shocking.

The board give us £20m in the January transfer window so I broke our transfer record and signed Jack Grealish, who went on to win the player of the year and young player of the year after 5 goals and 9 assists in 19 games. I would of thought Dwight Gayle or Ayoze Pérez would of been better choices personally.

Championship%20league%20table%20end%20ofSquad%20end%20of%20season%201_4.jpgTransfers%20end%20of%20season%201_3.jpg

I couldn't settle on a formation to play and in the end we played 4-2-3-1 deep, 4-2-3-1 wide, 4-1-4-1, 4-5-1 and 4-4-1-1, now the we'll be in the Premier League and Europa League I will have to stick to a formation.

The board have also taken out a loan of £46m :eek: to enlarge the stadium by 7500 seats, seems a bit much too much money to me. The training and youth facilities are also getting improved.

@Stu_UBJ Signed quite a few players that will come on Bosman frees, the likes of Cristian Tello, Abdou Diallo, Federico Ricci the better ones. Also coming in on frees but will probably be loaned out for a season are Alex Remiro, Jadson, Burgui and Ainsley Maitland-Niles.

I am also trying to bring in Saido Berahino on a free but he wants just under £200k a week which even if we could afford I wouldn't pay him that much at this stage of his career.

The only two players that I have signed for a fee so far are Lucas Silva for £2.9m and Dayot Upamecano £2.2m.

I have also got offers in for Moussa Dembele (Celtic), Louis Schaub (free), Bruno Zuculini (free), John Obi Mikel (free), Gylfi Sigurdsson and a few others.

13 hours ago, col_nufc1 said:

@Stu_UBJ Signed quite a few players that will come on Bosman frees, the likes of Cristian Tello, Abdou Diallo, Federico Ricci the better ones. Also coming in on frees but will probably be loaned out for a season are Alex Remiro, Jadson, Burgui and Ainsley Maitland-Niles.

I am also trying to bring in Saido Berahino on a free but he wants just under £200k a week which even if we could afford I wouldn't pay him that much at this stage of his career.

The only two players that I have signed for a fee so far are Lucas Silva for £2.9m and Dayot Upamecano £2.2m.

I have also got offers in for Moussa Dembele (Celtic), Louis Schaub (free), Bruno Zuculini (free), John Obi Mikel (free), Gylfi Sigurdsson and a few others.

I was looking at a fair few of those players. Dayot I signed in the first season, and has progressed well, even though not yet a first team regular. Lucas Silva was going for £3.1m on my save, but he wanted huge wages, which I felt weren't consistent with the ability he has. Decided to go with Denis Zakaria, who is already good enough for the first team, and has plenty of room to perfect the role I need him for. Seems a rebuild of the midfield for you! I stuck with Shelvey and Diamé for the time being, but Diamé likely to leave in the next year or so. 

1 hour ago, callamity said:

Isaac hayden had 4 star potential for me. however after 3 seasons he had no improvement whatsoever other than his determination which is now 17. I'm really disappointed 

Yeah I had the same and he hasn't really progressed. Sent him on loan to Sheff Wed, hoping that a run of games will help him out

Archived