De Haag kampioene? Kap nâh.

Mark Snellink

It all started in the quiet little town of Den Haag, a flourishing community, with friendly people and a football team in the Dutch First Division.

A footballteam proudly wearing the city's colours, green and yellow.

I'll give you just a little bit of background on this friendly little town by the sea.

Den Haag was founded some seven hundred and fifty years ago, by friendly people who were sick and tired of all the rude farmers and their stinking cows in the rest of the land, so they ventured out and then when they reached the sea, they settled. After building the houses, they started working on the road, but because the little town expanded, they were forced to leave the road open as it was to build docks for fishing in what we now know as 'Scheveningen'. Legend has it that the roads that were broken open just after Den Haag was built still haven't been finished. Those legends would be right, this to great displeasure of people trying to get in and out of Den Haag, but the kind people of Den Haag couldn't care less.

Now over the years, many small towns started up around Den Haag, which were all mercilessly annexed, further and further expanding the lovely little town by the sea. Now Den Haag is a big tourist attraction, especially the beaches near Scheveningen, where germans invade every summer and fill the beaches with holes, much to the displeasure of the good people of Den Haag. 'Kankâh die kankâhkúil dich, kankâhkraut!' is something you'll hear often enough there. It translates to something along the lines of 'Would you be as kind as to please fill up that hole you dug there?'

Now the city was full of excitement over some big news concerning the city's pride and joy, ADO Den Haag. Or as the people of Den Haag call it 'EF CEI De Haag'.

Rumor has it a new manager has taken over the club. Naturally, the entire city came to 'het Zúidâhparrek' where the stadium was, to hear what was happening.

There, on a podium on the field, stood two men; John van Ringelestein, the Den Haag chairman and someone yet unknown to the masses.

With one loud cough into the microphone, John silenced the crowd.

'Geàgge wève en andâh gespúis,' he started. 'Ik zâh jullie graag voâh wille stelle an de zauveilste trainâh van De Haag. Dâh wogt vannum vâhwag dattie erreges innut midde finisj, en vegdâh kan ut mèn auk gein kankâh scheile.'

What he was saying came down to introducing the new manager and announcing that he would like to see the club finish mid-table this season.

A murmur spread out through the crowd.

'Hei, Sjon, hoe heet die lèp dan?' (What is that nice gentleman's name then?) someone yelled out.

'Weit IK veil, dat mot je an hem vrage,' (No idea, ask him) mister van Ringelestein answered.

Then the unknown man grabbed de microphone.

'As jullie dan allemaal effe je kankâhmúil hâhwe, ken ik me ège voâhstelle, en die kankâhspiets me húig uit dâhwe, zen we daah gelèk auk venaf,' he said. 'Nâh dat ik jullie attensie effe hep, mèn naam is Mark Snellink, en ik ben dus nâh de menetsjâh hierau. Ik zâh dâh graag een maui sezoen van make, maah zauas we alle weite, dat zal haas wel weâh nie.'

What it came down to was, the unknown new manager introduced himself as Mark Snellink, and said that he wanted to make a nice season out of it.

So, there it was, a new manager trying to bring success to the little club in green and yellow. Will he succeed? We may never know, because my PC is prone to crashing, burning, and destroying my savegames. But we'll see how far we get.

It all started in the quiet little town of Den Haag, a flourishing community, with friendly people and a football team in the Dutch First Division.

A footballteam proudly wearing the city's colours, green and yellow.

I'll give you just a little bit of background on this friendly little town by the sea.

Den Haag was founded some seven hundred and fifty years ago, by friendly people who were sick and tired of all the rude farmers and their stinking cows in the rest of the land, so they ventured out and then when they reached the sea, they settled. After building the houses, they started working on the road, but because the little town expanded, they were forced to leave the road open as it was to build docks for fishing in what we now know as 'Scheveningen'. Legend has it that the roads that were broken open just after Den Haag was built still haven't been finished. Those legends would be right, this to great displeasure of people trying to get in and out of Den Haag, but the kind people of Den Haag couldn't care less.

Now over the years, many small towns started up around Den Haag, which were all mercilessly annexed, further and further expanding the lovely little town by the sea. Now Den Haag is a big tourist attraction, especially the beaches near Scheveningen, where germans invade every summer and fill the beaches with holes, much to the displeasure of the good people of Den Haag. 'Kankâh die kankâhkúil dich, kankâhkraut!' is something you'll hear often enough there. It translates to something along the lines of 'Would you be as kind as to please fill up that hole you dug there?'

Now the city was full of excitement over some big news concerning the city's pride and joy, ADO Den Haag. Or as the people of Den Haag call it 'EF CEI De Haag'.

Rumor has it a new manager has taken over the club. Naturally, the entire city came to 'het Zúidâhparrek' where the stadium was, to hear what was happening.

There, on a podium on the field, stood two men; John van Ringelestein, the Den Haag chairman and someone yet unknown to the masses.

With one loud cough into the microphone, John silenced the crowd.

'Geàgge wève en andâh gespúis,' he started. 'Ik zâh jullie graag voâh wille stelle an de zauveilste trainâh van De Haag. Dâh wogt vannum vâhwag dattie erreges innut midde finisj, en vegdâh kan ut mèn auk gein kankâh scheile.'

What he was saying came down to introducing the new manager and announcing that he would like to see the club finish mid-table this season.

A murmur spread out through the crowd.

'Hei, Sjon, hoe heet die lèp dan?' (What is that nice gentleman's name then?) someone yelled out.

'Weit IK veil, dat mot je an hem vrage,' (No idea, ask him) mister van Ringelestein answered.

Then the unknown man grabbed de microphone.

'As jullie dan allemaal effe je kankâhmúil hâhwe, ken ik me ège voâhstelle, en die kankâhspiets me húig uit dâhwe, zen we daah gelèk auk venaf,' he said. 'Nâh dat ik jullie attensie effe hep, mèn naam is Mark Snellink, en ik ben dus nâh de menetsjâh hierau. Ik zâh dâh graag een maui sezoen van make, maah zauas we alle weite, dat zal haas wel weâh nie.'

What it came down to was, the unknown new manager introduced himself as Mark Snellink, and said that he wanted to make a nice season out of it.

So, there it was, a new manager trying to bring success to the little club in green and yellow. Will he succeed? We may never know, because my PC is prone to crashing, burning, and destroying my savegames. But we'll see how far we get.

Guest Professeur

I take "het Haags kwartiertje" will be included as well.

Now let's hope for you that, unlike IRL, it's ADO that scores during it, and not the other side icon_razz.gif

Ofcourse het Haags kwartiertje will be included icon_cool.gif

Pre-season transfers and matches

We once again find ourselves in the beautifull city behind the dunes, the city you will all grow to love, maybe.

A door in the Zuiderpark-stadium opens and a tall man walks out with a confident smile on his face. Looking around the small 12.000 seat stadium, with it's chairs painted in the green and yellow of the club, he walked to the directors lounge, where two men awaited him. The first we've met in the previous chapter, his name is John van Ringelenstein, and the other is yet unknown to us, just as it is to the fans of ADO Den Haag.

Also in that room was the local press from TV West. A firmly built man with short hair walked over to Mark. 'Moge meneâh Snellink,' the man said. 'Moge meneâh Huf.' The man's name was Jeffrey Huf, ADO reporter with TV West. 'Ik hoâhde dajjullie un niewe speilâh hebbe gekoch?'

'Jazeikâh,' Mark Snellink answered. 'Hè staat maumeteil agtâh je, nâh, as je effe een menuutje hep, we motte effe ze contrak teikene.'

In short, mr Huf had asked if it was true that ADO had signed a new player, which was true, they had signed 23 year old Spanish central defender/defensive midfielder Nauzet Fernández Herrera from Sporting Clube de Portugal.

As photographers flashed their cameras, Snellink, van Ringelestein and Nauzet completed the deal.

Then followed the pressconference.

((JH = Jeffrey Huf, reporter for TW West, MS = Mark Snellink, ADO Manager.))

JH: Meneâh Snellink, jullie hebbe zojúis een nieuwe speilâh an de seleksie toegevoeg. Zâh u ons wat meâh auvâh hem kenne vetelle? (Mister Snellink, you have just added a new player to the selction. Can you tell us more about him?)

MS: Nâh, ze naam is dus Nauzet, en hè ken dus setraal in de vedeidiging of voâh de vedeidiging úit speile. In presiepe hebbe we hem gehaald om as bek-up voâh Atteveld te werreke, en hem messchien zellefs te vevange as hè ze klompe an de willege hank. (Well, his name is Nauzet, and he can play in centre defense and in front of the defense. Basically he was brought to be a stand in for Atteveld, and maybe replace him when Atteveld retires))

JH: Júis ja. Hebbe jullie nog andere speilâhs op het lèssie staan? (Right, so do you have any other players on your shortlist?)

MS: Ja, wel un aantal, maah de einige naam die ik nâh ken noeme is Ivica Beljan. Maah daah doe ik nâh voâh de res gein úitlatinge auvâh. Ein goeje middag nog. ((Yes, a few, but the only name I can give you now is Ivica Beljan. But I'm not going to make any statements about that right now.))

And with that, the pressconference was over.

We're skipping ahead two days, to find three men in conversation in a pub outside the Ijsselmeervogels stadium. The date is July 25th, and in two hours ADO will play it's first (and last) friendly of the season against Ijsselmeervogels. The three men are known as Harry, Sjon and Bert.

'Nâh, zulle we onze bieâhtjes ons stgot ingiete en maah is naah binne gaan?,' ((Shall we finish our beers and go enter the stadium?)) Harry said.

The two others nodded and downed their beers. They walked to the stadium, where their cards were checked and the stewards searched their clothes. After that, they went to sit on the away stand and awaited the start of the game.

The stadium speaker sounded. 'Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the stadium for todays game of Ijsselmeervogels versus ADO Den Haag. Now, the starting line-up for both teams, starting with our guests from Den Haag. In goal, number 1, Roland Janssen. Then, number two, Stephan 't Hart. Number three, Robbert van Wijk. Number four, Raymond Atteveld. Number five, Dennis den Turk. Number six, Arjan Human. Number seven, Marco Meijer. Number eight, Peter Hofstede. Number nine, Leonard van Utrecht. Number ten, Emiel van Eijkeren and number eleven, Erkem Kahya.

The substitutes: 12, Sebastian van der Ende, 13, Mario van Heiningen, 14, Ferry Bodde, 15, Romeo Castelen, 16, Peter Maseland, 17, Bas Lambooij, 18, Roderick Fels, 19, Maarten Bak and 20, Nauzet.

Then he announced the Ijsselmeervogels line-up, but we don't care who they are. They're not real players anyway.

'Nâh, kenne we èndelijk zien wat die nieuwe sjaak dâh van bak,' (Now we can finally see what the new manager makes of it) Sjon said. 'Heppie ut trâhwes gehoâhd auvâh Petrik de Graut? Hè is vehúis naah NEC.' (Did you hear about Patrick de Groot? He moved to NEC) he added. Just as Bert was about to reply, van Eijkeren was hacked down and injured, much to the displeasure of the ADO supporters. 'Jôh, kankâhgek!' Bert roared. 'Stuâh die kankâhwâhs vannut veld af! Pleurislèjâhs!'

For the sanity of our younger members, I'll leave the exact translation to your imagination. The general gist was a complaint about the tackle and an appeal for the player who made the foul to be sent off. The stadium speaker announced that Maseland would replace the injured van Eijkeren.

This turned out to be a golden substitution, because in the sixteenth minute the following happened.

Van Wijk threw the ball in to Meijer, who took it down the right wing. 'Geif voooooooâh!' the ADO crowd roared. And as they requested, he crossed it towards Maseland, who headed it in. 'Lekkââââââââh,' the ADO supporters roared.

Then in the 20th minute, Bijl took Hofstede down in the penalty area, something which the ADO crowd hardly appreciated it. 'KANKÂHBOEÂH! Vúile pleurislèjâh! Stuâh um dâh af!'

't Hart stepped up and netted the penalty, which led to ADO singing 'Steifan ut Hagt, Steifan ut Hagt, Steifan ut Hagt olei olei!'

Sadly the rest of the match was hardly eventfull, and even the chants of 'Haags kwagtieâhtje' didn't manage to spark a third goal.

Then on the 28th, Jan Paul Saeijs was sold to MVV.

Jan Paul Saeijs had always been one of the supporters favourites. Being a real Hageneis himself. Crowds gathered at het Zúidâhpagk to say goodbye to Saeijs. 'Hies hieâh, hies theâh, hies fukking evrieweâh, Jan Paul Saeijs, Jan Paul Saeeeijs!' was heard throughout the surrounding area as Saeijs entered the pitch to make a lap of honour. Then he took the microphone for a few words of thanks. 'Jonges, ik heb hieâh un kankâhmauie tèd gehad, en het spèt mèn dattik plète mot, maah het ken heilaas niet andâhs. Dus daahom, voâh de laatste keâh, bedank!'

Completely icon_confused.gifing for me...

Either it gets a bit more translated or I'll get more lost than I already am...

(perhaps translation in bold could be helpfull)

Otherwise, when I really reread it and understand it I'm sure I'll follow it with interest...Being from Barcelona makes being Dutch our second nationality, doesn't it? (Shame I can't understand it)

[edited by jordivf 20/03/04 19:23]

The current format is ok, but I'll go for Haags and then (Translation) or Haags then (Translation).

Anyway, once you get used it is not that problematic. icon14.gif

[edited by jordivf for comprehension motives 20:41]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

as hè ze klompe an de willege hank

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just cos he spent a while at Groningen doesn't make him a farmer icon_rolleyes.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't believe you saw the reference icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor:

Most es luuster'n mienjong, wie Grunningers benn'n nait zo dom als wie d'ruut zain. icon13.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neuh, joe benn'n nog dommer icon_wink.gif

I will stick around in here, the story started off funny and Den Haag is one of the clubs I don't like so much in Holland icon_wink.gif

Archived