FM2017: Please fix the Half-Back Mechanism!!

6 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I've never seen any communication from SI that says it'd be difficult to fix?

I'm no programmer so I have no idea but I don't see why it is so complicated given that it works perfectly with wing-backs, just apply the same mechanism for full-backs.

Regarding others saying it's working - as far as I am aware, I've only seen people say it works with wing-backs which is what I say in the opening post.

If there are other priorities, that's fine but that's also only speculation as we have not even had a response from SI saying that. As a loyal and long-time, paying customer I don't think that a response is too much to ask for. If that response is, "yes we understand the issue but a fix is complicated and our current priority is x so we can't fix this until 2018 / 2019 / 2045", so be it. But at least respond.

Based on what I have actually seen from SI nothing is being done and my impression is that they're taking advantage of a loyal base who have already purchased the game, which is a real shame. More importantly, I have some ideas I'd like to implement using a half-back!! :lol:

If it was as simple as applying the same mechanism, it wouldn't be an issue in the first place now.

He's responded to you, if you care to take a look at his profile, you'll see he's actually really rather busy, and that doesnt include just responding here.

As it is he's clearly stated there ideas logged interally to improve things so it's being looked at, and there isn't a timescale.

Only SI can say for certainty where it is in the priority of things, but frankly it just isn't going to be that high the grand scheme of things, which goes beyond one user's frustrations.

8 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

If it was as simple as applying the same mechanism, it wouldn't be an issue in the first place now.

He's responded to you, if you care to take a look at his profile, you'll see he's actually really rather busy, and that doesnt include just responding here.

As it is he's clearly stated there ideas logged interally to improve things so it's being looked at, and there isn't a timescale.

Only SI can say for certainty where it is in the priority of things, but frankly it just isn't going to be that high the grand scheme of things, which goes beyond one user's frustrations.

This is still speculation as to how difficult it is to solve. You may well be correct, however we have still yet to hear anything from SI.

Firstly, regardless of whether it's one user or a million a legitimate query from a paying customer deserves a response and secondly - if you'd care to read the thread - you'll see that it's a lot more than "one user's frustrations".

7 minutes ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

This is still speculation as to how difficult it is to solve. You may well be correct, however we have still yet to hear anything from SI.

Firstly, regardless of whether it's one user or a million a legitimate query from a paying customer deserves a response and secondly - if you'd care to read the thread - you'll see that it's a lot more than "one user's frustrations".

You made the initial point on the mechanism, I pointed out that if it was that simple it would have been done already.

He did respond, otherwise you wouldn't have a response to copy and paste

Secondly, it's not even a fraction of the forum, which itself is a fraction of the player base.

As said, they are looking into interally, and we'll have to see what progress can be made

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

You made the initial point on the mechanism, I pointed out that if it was that simple it would have been done already.

He did respond, otherwise you wouldn't have a response to copy and paste

Secondly, it's not even a fraction of the forum, which itself is a fraction of the player base.

This is going around in circles. Let's agree to disagree.

Don't worry Ozil, I'm with you that I can't use the Half Back role until it's been fixed in the match engine. The same goes for Inverted Fullbacks (but I gave up on that one a long time ago).

It's super disappointing for the tactic community but I guess we represent a niche in the player base since I'm guessing the majority are either plug and play or don't care (both of which are failures in the tactical side of the game in my opinion).

At the same time, there are other really serious issues including the regen problem where they all look the same, which is a blow for anybody who plays long-term saves. As somebody who always plays as a Swedish team and experiences game-breaking competition bugs each year, I've accepted by now that SI will work to their own priorities regardless of what the community thinks. Not something we can really argue against, but it's still super disappointing nonetheless, especially since this year was about minor changes and fixing things under the hood.

My two-cents, we just have to make do with what we have and hope they fix things before our interest wanes once again.

9 hours ago, wpmk said:

Don't worry Ozil, I'm with you that I can't use the Half Back role until it's been fixed in the match engine.

There is nothing wrong with the HB role. The problem is with the DCs not spreading out enough in back 4 defense. Just wanted to make that clear.

The list of people is actually pretty small  

As for not caring about the tactical side, its possible to be very much into tactics and not hugely care about the half back role.

As this is firmly in the hands of the QA and Dev team, and this is a tactical section, this topic should get back to tactical side now really (theoretical or practical)

22 hours ago, wpmk said:

Don't worry Ozil, I'm with you that I can't use the Half Back role until it's been fixed in the match engine. The same goes for Inverted Fullbacks (but I gave up on that one a long time ago).

It's super disappointing for the tactic community but I guess we represent a niche in the player base since I'm guessing the majority are either plug and play or don't care (both of which are failures in the tactical side of the game in my opinion).

At the same time, there are other really serious issues including the regen problem where they all look the same, which is a blow for anybody who plays long-term saves. As somebody who always plays as a Swedish team and experiences game-breaking competition bugs each year, I've accepted by now that SI will work to their own priorities regardless of what the community thinks. Not something we can really argue against, but it's still super disappointing nonetheless, especially since this year was about minor changes and fixing things under the hood.

My two-cents, we just have to make do with what we have and hope they fix things before our interest wanes once again.

Cheers, wpmk. Haha, yea I hear you. The novelty of my 2021 Ajax "Attack of the Clones" team is wearing off.

Thank god we have the new social media page. Can't remember how I ever lived without that! :lol:

There is nothing wrong with the HB role. The problem is with the DCs not spreading out enough in back 4 defense. Just wanted to make that clear.

Agreed. The issue is the way the Half-Back interacts with Central Defenders in a 4-man defence, as opposed working perfectly if you have the courage to play a 2-man defence which has the knock-on effect of opening up acres of space behind the wing-backs and prevents users playing 4-1-4-1 or similar, deeper formations with a Half-Back.

I'd hope this was made clear in the opening post but let me know if you think it's not. Unfortunately I'd suspect it'd not make much of a difference at the moment! :lol:

9 hours ago, tyler16 said:

Have to agree with Ozil here. This is becoming a common occurrence with SI. Love the game but I don't feel as valued as I once did.

Cheers :thup:

5 hours ago, acmilano112000 said:

For what it's worth, in case the amount of frustrated users is important and is not being made clear, I agree with @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!

Add me to the (large, I suspect) list of users with frustrations about this specific Halfback topic. 

Cheers :thup:

3 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

The list of people is actually pretty small  

As for not caring about the tactical side, its possible to be very much into tactics and not hugely care about the half back role.

As this is firmly in the hands of the QA and Dev team, and this is a tactical section, this topic should get back to tactical side now really (theoretical or practical)

At risk of hopping back on the merry-go-round - that's an absolute cop out.

The "not hugely care about the half back role" seems to sum up this entire thread perfectly.

Why does it matter whether it's 1 person pointing it out or a million? The game has a feature which doesn't work. Fix it or take it out. It's not rocket science! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, A.Pierfrancesco said:

I'm just wondering, we have seen that the Half-Back role works perfectly when the WBR/L are in the WBR/L slots. Has someone tried to use the WBR/L in the FB slot with the PIs stay wider and get further forward (i think the latter is active by default) or using the TIs to stay wider?

Sadly nothing. That was my first attempt. It's clearly a mechanism rather than an instruction related issue. Fire up a game and play half with wingbacks, for example:

nhilYeg.png

And half with fullbacks, for example:

4pM0h6x.png

You'll see exactly what we're talking about instantly when you start to build up play from deep.

They are fixing it, I'm pretty sure it's not hard for you to understand that, given Nic's reply Given that removing it is actually more work to then put it back it in, saying The game has a feature which doesn't work. Fix it or take it out. It's not rocket science! :rolleyes:

Is a rather silly thing to say.

Secondly, all fixes will have a priority listing, ME fixes which affect the game in the entirely, regardless of what the user does, will be towards the top, let's not pretend it's being ignored when it isnt, they have priorities and a timescale to work it.

Given it's with the Devs we can either get the back on talking about the current tactical uses where it works, or the thread get closed off or moved to GD/bugs section as it's no longer tactical, is it? Your choice.

22 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I'm pretty sure it's not hard for you to understand that

Let's not get petty now. You're a moderator and should know better. Everybody is entitled to an opinion, whether they agree with you or not. Tut-tut. :herman:

You can move it over to General Discussion if you like? There's already a threat in the Bugs section making just about as much progress as this one.

Care to explain why fix it or remove it is 'silly'?

Keeping something in the game which doesn't work and people "don't hugely care about" seems sillier to me ... but maybe it's too hard for me to understand! :lol:

5 minutes ago, A.Pierfrancesco said:

It is not silly, it's just not fair to the ones who use the half back in other circumstances and got it to work :)

Precisely, still more to be done with it, and removing it from the game actually impairs that work.

And i literally just explained why in the very sentence before it

15 minutes ago, A.Pierfrancesco said:

Well, they didn't say that they won't fix it. They said that there is a list of things to be fixed and a priority list. Programmer life and work is not that easy (trust me ahah). One single change in the codebase can change everything. :)

Yes, I understand that, programming I understand is very difficult. It's just this problem has been around for a little while now. So it can get frustrating when you are passionate about it.

Stop the silly comments or this thread will just get closed.

SI have said they have logged examples of areas to improve.  Great.

When that will happen we don't know, but knowing the issue has actually been logged is a big step forward.  It's also really good to see people being passionate about the subject, and I'm sure that has had an influence on logging the issue, so thanks to everyone who has taken the time and effort to contribute examples.

Hopefully SI will continue to update us on progress, but if they don't it's no big deal as we're now safe in the knowledge that SI are actually working on things.  More communication is of course always welcome, but at least we know this is not being ignored.

So please now just keep things to a tactical discussion.

Archived