[FM17] Football, fire and ice: The inside story of Iceland's remarkable rise.

Jimbokav1971

4 hours ago, Carninho said:

Great read again :) I do have a few questions:

how many coaches do you have now? and have you been able to gain 5* coaching for every area yet (or is this not the same in FMT?)

No problem at all. 

703d3c72afef994660c5a6ea16f3edbc.png

a309ec89e60a09c8824da94f9fcfad7d.png

93bf268e3c165dbedda55e8864efe6b0.png

It's important to point out that the above rating is just that of the most qualified coach in that particular department. I hadn't noticed until now, but it's not now rated in the same way as it used to be, (where there was a cumulative total for each section). 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can you setup any commercial feeder clubs yet (USA, China, Japan etc)?

b001b71448d481dac100aad6e0a2e3b1.png

These are the only affiliates we currently have. I did have more but there have been a few cancelled recently through lack of use. The commercial option isn't available yet and the only one's available are as follows. 

6c4f3e53bce04f6be9228a401a4ce420.png

Unfortunately we have recently lost the Charity Shield and the League Cup Final, so despite the fact that the board don't want to judge me on our performance in either they have actually just told me that I am currently not performing well enough in my role so have refused my request. 

I guess I will wait until we win a few games in the League or Europe and then ask again.

do you think that the short seasons hamper the player development in anyway, or is it a benefit? I assume that the players CA increases faster with match minutes, but is it possible that the game boosts the player dev knowing the max league fixtures to compensate? Or its just a simple % of games played vs games available to play? I know you tend to have saves in small leagues dont you?

Shorter domestic seasons can hamper youth development. There is absolutely no doubt about it. 

That's not the same thing as saying shorter domestic seasons will hamper youth development however. 

To give you a comparison here, if I was managing in the English Premier League, then there would be a total of 38 League games available, but the standard is so high that it is pretty hard to play a 16 or 17 year old in the starting line-up, without it having a detrimental impact on the result. In the top league in Iceland there are only 22 league games available, but not only can a high PA youngster start these league matches, but I can actually play quite a few youngsters in the same team and still be hopeful of a positive result. So while there are more games available in England, there is probably more opportunity to actually give young players playing time in Iceland.

My understanding is that it's related to minutes on the pitch, (a minimum of 30 mins which is required for optimum development in my opinion), but I don't think the game does a calculation in that xx number of games = yy% of the league matches available. More games available is always preferable where the standard fo football is similar.  

There is another related consideration however that deserves a mention. 

FM has recently introduced a new feature  in FM17, the long-term impact of which has yet to be fully understood. A player who starts playing football at a very young age, is now more likely to have to have to pay a price at the back end of his career as a result. This might come in the form of early retirement, a sooner than expected drop-off in physical ability, or late season fatigue related injuries. It will be interesting to see how this manifests itself within my save.

On 01/01/2017 at 00:32, Jimbokav1971 said:

I think I preferred our old stadium. Feb 2029:(

Old Stadium.

c39705e33493be4edcf07016848eb63c.jpg

New Stadium

325226490d47b34dfbbd27a26f89dcd6.jpg

5dcae03d325a25e09b3d60a2aa39a962.jpg

I've just realised that we don't play at home in the Upper League Cup and instead all games are played at neutral stadiums. 

This is what our stadium looks like. :D

4386ade472176abde994e0a269ac699f.png

e7eadc9f3751bcfa946df36b0c65ba63.png

That's more like it. :cool:

Edited by Jimbokav1971

25 minutes ago, Chantu9Y said:

Wow much better. I like the new digs! Interesting about the young players having negative outcomes on the back end, especially with youth only saves

Thanks. Yeah, I'm actually really pleased with the look of the stadium after the initial disappointment.

2 hours ago, Chantu9Y said:

Also really like Viktor! That's a heck of a DM you got there! At 18, no less. Does his future lie abroad?

Yeah he is good. :cool:

We are currently in June 2029 and he is contracted to October 2033 so we have him for a few more years at least.

The only major interest at the moment is from Helsinborgs, but they haven't made an offer yet. 

0b3e36f35141f0d420576fa58e55eb11.png

It's the clubs showing minor interest which concerns me more though as a host of big clubs are starting to take notice of him. These 5 plus R.Madrid, Roma and Sporting Lisbon all now taking an interest and I'm sure Jose won't be the last visitor to our games. 

7e3f759a0c17fa7490def9abebf26862.png

I am unable to secure (27b) Viktor (Driven) to a longer contract because he agent insists on a Minimum fee release clause in any new deal. The amount of the clause is negotiable, but theyb are adamant that there has to be one, and I don't want to offer a new contract under those terms. I will see if I can get him to sack the agent next season and then try to get the new agent to accept a deal with no min fee clause, but in my experience this is unlikely to be successful with a player of this ability. 

3 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Am I the only one who, generally speaking, loves the scenery in '17?!  So much better than it used to be, and I saw loads of it in the Swedish lower leagues!

I do too but I wonder if the scenery was always there but the graphics settings have been changed so that you now see more graphics at a similar setting?

Either way, it's a significant improvement.

Transfer Update. 2029.

We made a Transfer In for the first time in a few years and I suppose it warrants a mention. Not because the player is particularly good, but simply because of the initial fee that we received when selling him. 

beca9ba6cbb565f65db0ae1936cfe1f4.png

(22b) Ragnar Ágúst (F.Pro) was obviously the 2nd best prospect in our 2022 intake, but unfortunately the board were keen to cash in on him back then and he went to Rosenborg in Norway for £1.1M back in 2024. That's a significant amount of money in this save in 2024 so while I would have loved to have kept him, (in what is a key position), we were lucky to have other options there and I can't really complain too much about a £1M+ deal at that stage. 

77a35ffd51ce1da7de1d55097581f6fa.png

While his performances in Norway weren't great, he did make 21 appearances in Europe in his time there, so it's possible that this might be related to Norway being an inactive league. Either way, he wasn't a star there and now he's back he's not going to be a star here either. 

f816c0d7bdf61aefc92d34f7f6e21a43.png

This clearly shows that he is only the 3rd highest rated AMC by PA, and both the players ranked higher than him by PA, are also ranked higher than him by CA and are in fact younger too. 

When you take into account that I have no issues playing 4th ranked (20b) Klemenz (Bal) *, then it confirms that we have significant strength in depth in this area. It's good to have him back and even better that he helped us with £1.1M too. 

Senior National Squad influence. June 2029.

38c070ef333302553209b4b82e3ab4b3.png

We currently have 6 players in the Senior Icelandic squad who are products of our a academy under my tenure. 

There is usually an older player who came through the academy before I arrived in the National Team, but I can't locate him at the moment so it's possible that he is injured, out of favour, or has retired. 

In addition to the above 4 players currently at the squad and in the Senior National Squad, we also have 2 other players who have previously gained caps at Senior International level. 

922eff0b8b737b573659d464a0154cca.png

There has been a general upward trend in the Icelandic ranking over the years.

5469bd1a952ad5684e5a8b77c73fa999.png

Iceland don't have much in terms of honours, but it's a start.....

515d40cb34678fd8bb06400bff6b2211.png

cc70a3a88d299d2229900cedbbb3e7eb.png

Edited by Jimbokav1971

On 10/18/2016 at 20:56, Jimbokav1971 said:

I have had a look at the FM16 HK squad and it was pleasing that although all were Icelandic, we did have a single solitary 2nd Nationality. (I love a 2nd Nationality for some reason, possibly because I am English but to Irish and Scottish parents). That the 2nd Nationality was Nepalese, (yes really), is just a bonus, because I have never seen a single Nepalese FM player ever never mind about had one in my squad. I hope he's still in the FM17 squad. 

Hahaha, this brought me back to a challenge I started this summer based on my annoyance with the Pokemon GO game!

The challenge was to catch players of each nationality by fielding them in a competitive game for at least 45 minutes and in the end "catch them all". One of my best "catches" early in the challenge was a young Belgian/Nepalese striker who was for me the first Nepalese I ever saw in the game.

I regretfully lost interest in the game after a couple of seasons and some 45 nationalities "caught", as success was hard to come by with such an irrational player selection policy. I finally lost the save file as I didn't bother to migrate it when I bought a new LT. Shame I never got round to writing an update about it on these pages...

Anyway, you have an attentive reader in me and I'll try to catch up with this thread in the coming days...

Following on from the above 2029 Youth Intake, I've just gone to play our 1st match afterwards and (29f) Andri Geir (Sport) is rated as the 2nd best left back at the club in terms of potential. Yes of course he is significantly behind 1st choice DL (25a) Páll (F.Pro) (2025) *, but to put things in perspective, (29f) Andri Geir (Sport) can reach the current ability of (25a) Páll (F.Pro) (2025) * who is pretty impressive despite his modest 20 years.

The reason I mention this is because (29f) is quite a long way down the PA list but it serves to prove that we are still weak in certain areas and weaker still in more areas when you look at depth. 

(29a) Laxdal (L.Det) (2029) is a left winger and leads the PA charts in that position. 

(29b) Friðrik Jóhan (F.Det) is a right winger and the 4th ranked in terms of PA. That level of CA would certainly have him in contention for playing time this season at least. 

(29c) Axel Guð (Spirit) is a striker who is ranked 4th in terms of PA. We have 2 strikers way ahead of his PA level, but all the other strikers are much of a muchness in terms of PA, so he is certainly likely to be able to play a part at some point in the future, even if only a bit part.

(29d) Örn Ólason (L.Det) is a striker who is ranked 4th in terms of PA. We have 2 strikers way ahead of his PA level, but all the other strikers are much of a muchness in terms of PA, so he is certainly likely to be able to play a part at some point in the future, even if only a bit part.

Edited by Jimbokav1971

We have produced our 1st Wonderkid. Aug 2029.

af4ac22f5348c339fb165a676eb1cfdd.png

af4ac22f5348c339fb165a676eb1cfdd.png

(26b) Páll Stefán (Spirit) is classed as a wonderkid now he is is at Man City.

He was the 2nd best player, (behind (26a) Emil (Driven) (2026) *) in the 2026 intake and (26a) Emil (Driven) (2026) * is currently ranked 7th by PA of players still at the club, (albeit there are 8 players who are all ranked joint 1st and joint 8th).

04fc0adffa5564e164f2f141119e1886.png

I haven't got a scout report for (26b) Páll Stefán (Spirit) yet so I can't compare him directly to the above list, but if he were still at the club I would expect him to still be level-ranked by PA with the top 8. 

Rise in coefficient. Aug 2029.

Our coefficient has risen to the point where we are now seeded in the Champions League Playoff.

eff189d35ce3c55eb5ec4e2f15c066b0.png

Partizan are likely to be decent, (although I think we have beaten them already in this save), so it would be good to avoid them, but other than that we shouldn't have too many issues. 

We drew BATE Borisov which is less than ideal, but we should still be able to progress.

4d4b8b6e71c825759046b901c6e3118b.png

I haven't been following this thread much because all your player nicknames trigger me half of a OCD episode. :D But looks like you've made one hell of a progress since the beginning. Very nice to have spawned a wonderkid with a place in Man City's squad!

The stadium looks :cool:

9 hours ago, noikeee said:

I haven't been following this thread much because all your player nicknames trigger me half of a OCD episode. :D But looks like you've made one hell of a progress since the beginning. Very nice to have spawned a wonderkid with a place in Man City's squad!

The stadium looks :cool:

Thanks. Apologies about the player nicknames but in Iceland I promise you it's honestly easier with the nicknames than all the sson's in the squad. In any case, I just can't play without the nicknames nowadays. 

Yes, there really has been consistent progress. 

(26b) Páll Stefán (Spirit) looks great, but I just want him to play and I don't care who for. It would have been much better had he gone to somewhere like Belgium where he would most likely be featuring from the bench at the moment, than stagnating at a big club in England where he is likely a long way from 1st Team exposure. 

Yep, The stadium does indeed look very :cool:

Champions League Group Stage draw. Aug 2029.

1b5af71cb62a975da9d3558867a78151.png

21abd8d06090f0da4dabdbdd9d9c1428.png

0ecde86ebb672007f6c5e3c541889c04.png

cc5822d82500f6378947ca9433b5706b.png

It's great that we are in the draw at all, but significantly we are now no longer the team with the lowest coefficient at this stage of the competition. It shows that we are a long way off gaining access to even the 3rd pool, but we have already come a long long long way.

We now go straight into the 2nd Qualifying Round, (which is a bit of a shame if I'm honest because I like seeing the teams from San Marino, Gibraltar Faroes etc etc in the 1st Round), however we are still a huge way off auto-qualifying for the Group stages of either competition.

faeca30ebe4e8c9c5b071843e5fefe9c.png

Our coefficient is coming along nicely. What the following pic shows is that we will get 1 more significant jump next season in our coefficient by virtue of 2024/25 rating no longer being counted. It should see us rise to 22nd in the table, (behind Serbia but ahead of Sweden), but we will actually be in 21st I think because of a dramatic recent poor performance of Danish clubs who will plummet down the table.

30f671fb12d22a7f4f777c012d3d5aa7.png

Group G.

ce3ba172d22a4fce1b9a1abbaddbf544.png

That's not a bad group at all. 7th in Group 1, 7th in Group 2 & 5th in Group 3. I can't complain about that at all. Not even a little bit.

I would like to think that we have an opportunity to finish above Olympiakos and sneak into the Europa League Knockout stages, but that might have been better served by having a harder opponent from Pot 1 and Pot 2, but then being drawn against Galatasaray, Anderlecht or Basel rather than Olympiakos from post 3.

Transfer News. Aug 2029.

Standard Liege have made an offer of £3M for this bloke. 

02a12b56e383afaca7176037440b3ea3.png

To give you an idea of where he sits in the grand scheme of things here is the depth list for DM's and MC's rated by PA, (where (26d) Adam Sigurðar (F.Pro) sits 3rd.

4e87e093dcd37e9b436a8f443bf2d9a0.png

International Management?.

50899dae2769f8c85776031d388d6bed.png

a9414652c871f535332f3b6fdbd53747.png

It's too early for this I think, but I'm worried that if I turn it down now, (as was my initial instinct), then it will impact negatively on me being offered the job in the future. I'm gonna have a little think about accepting or declining this offer but at the moment I think it's likely to be declined. 

European Campaign 2029.

b27eb0743194649f4d176233f92bd818.png
68fcc4239e3799e9590262c3cac6d3fa.png

131cae964ad6f032443f0d7b6b2cca74.png

I have absolutely no idea how we beat Sporting Lisbon away, but beat them we did. We also secured creditable draws at home to both Sporting and Monaco. Surprisingly, where we actually under-achieved was in the 2 games against Olympiakos. We lost each game by a single goal and when I say under-achieve I obviously only mean in terms of my goals/targets. 

The 2 last minute goals that we conceded in the home game against Sporting Lisbon cost us 2 points. but we would still have finished behind Olympiakos by virtue of losing both the head to head games against them. Had we won just 1 of the games against them then we would have finished 3rd and achieved my target of qualifying for the Europa League Knockout stages. 

Edited by Jimbokav1971

You've managed to kind of insult both Lisbon clubs there, as Sporting fans hate when people call their club "Sporting Lisbon", on the basis Lisbon isn't part of the official name (which just makes things confusing for foreigners naturally unwilling to be super-pedant, but there you go).

Which is more than fine for me as a Porto fan. :D

2 hours ago, noikeee said:

You've managed to kind of insult both Lisbon clubs there, as Sporting fans hate when people call their club "Sporting Lisbon", on the basis Lisbon isn't part of the official name (which just makes things confusing for foreigners naturally unwilling to be super-pedant, but there you go).

Which is more than fine for me as a Porto fan. :D

What happens every time I see SLB is I see S and I think S stands for Sporting. I see L and I thins L stands for Lisbon but at the same time I see B and wonder if B stands for Benfica. The only thing I know is that it's not Porto. 

Then I look at the stadium and see that it is in Lisbon and assume that it's Sporting Lisbon. It gets me every time. :lol:

It's often confused me over the years too. Eventually I simplified it to a mental flow chart. Is the team Portuguese and good? Yes. Is their badge... mostly red? Benfica. Mostly green? Sporting.  Mostly blue? Porto.

Then I get decades into the future and my system breaks down because obscure side rules the roost.

2 hours ago, Jolanthustrel said:

Are your end of season awards working properly with getting into the group stages of Europe?

No. Carrying over fixtures from the previous season screws everything up. Awards no longer work and there are also issues with expectations and.... something else. Can't remember what.

I reported it as a bug pretty early, but unless it's included in the update I currently have pending the still not fixed I'm afraid.

I'm starting to develop an intense dislike for Man City. Jan 2030.

b811283e2ee3920ad97a31e8211b1c90.png

13e375aebc4d2030cc2ab68c6136c1f0.png

edd0bf9411ba36a800db714bd1f04391.png

This is absolutely rubbish. He's immediately worth £9.75M. He had loads of time left on his contract and there was just no need to sell at this stage. It's absolute madness. We have £24M+ in the bank so does this £3.4M really actually make any difference? It's not as bad as other AI deals that I have had forced upon me, but it's certainly not great either. The bonus £1.2M after 5 International appearances is as good as in the bank, but the £2.35M and £1.2M appearance bonus might be harder to collect, (but I think we will still collect them if I'm honest). 40% of profit is ok, but it could and should so easily have been 40% of next deal. The friendly wouldn't have been worth much of anything at all in the last stadium, and even now even if we sell out the whole stadium then 8,279 seats at £12 a pop only amounts to just under £100,000.

Man City have now purchased 2 (b) players from us.

(26b) Páll Stefán (Spirit) was bought by them for £7.25M and is now worth £16.75M.

(27b) Viktor (Driven) * was bought by them for £3.4M and is now worth £9.75M.

:(

Edited by Jimbokav1971

On 11/01/2017 at 19:30, Winski said:

Wow, what a fantastic player that is! Such a shame that your chairman sold this guy...

Yeah he is and yes it is.

Part of me is frustrated that a player like this is sold for this amount of money with a number of years left on his contract even with the board aware that we have progressed significantly in terms of financial stability and also reputation. The problem is that even with £20M in the bank and having qualified for the Group Stages of the Champions League for the last 4, (I think), years, their mind-set hasn't changed from the "little Icelandic club" days. Maybe I am expecting too much from the game? The reality is probably that it's somewhere in between the reality and my ideal of where the board thinking should be. In any case, it's not right, but I also don't think it is something that is easy to get right. This isn't a huge moan at the game. I think this is one of the areas that is hardest to replicate. 

1 hour ago, MADA said:

there would also be a huge amount of pressure from the player to move in those circumstances, that the game doesn't perfectly replicate

Yes. I would also say that player personality should play a more significant part in whether the player is willing to move abroad. Also, I would like to see some sort of rating that that would modify/influence the willingness of players from a particular Nation to move abroad. 

Adaptability, (I think), has an impact on how successful a player may integrate into a new Country, but that's a modifier after the move has been made. I would like to see some sort of calculation made to see IF the pkayer was willing to move in the first place. 

If we look at the Icelandic Senior National Team in real life then they are playing everywhere across the World. English born players on the other hand are far less likely to be willing to move abroad in the first place, (although that is changing slightly more recently). I don't see this reflected at all in the game and would be great to see it implemented.

European qualifying places. Jun 2030.

We are slowly edging our way up the table, although we still have a long way to go before we enter the group stage directly.

We're above Sweden, Denmark, Finland and of course Faroe Islands, and are now only 2 spots behind Norway. Once we get past them we will be the top ranked structure in Scandinavia. 

2c6d8e33efc85edd458f2c0e18a85463.png

Youth Intake Aug 2030.

b48cdf53c79e8fb70d0ef63707a174c0.png

You can't complain at all when you get a 5.0 PA player at this stage of the save. 

(30a) Bjarki (F.Sport) (2030)*.

26fc0f73c3c412d06ec70e37777c5975.png

While he obviously looks decent, what strikes me is that he has a particularly unusual Octagon. You expect a gap in the shape certainly in the areas of Defending and Aerial, and possibly even Mental which is probably what separates the AMC from the wider AM players. The attacking section is a bit of a strange one in that if I look at wide attackers then the octagon often shows them to be surprisingly under-cooked, so there is obviously something in this attacking section that I am not seeing. 

If I compare the (30a) Bjarki (F.Sport) (2030)* to the best AMR currently at the club in (27d) Snær Jakob (F.Pro) *, then it shows that the pattern is probably as expected, with the new player probably going to excel in the Mental and Technical areas. 

a371dc220254af3d1bb4abae0b35ac77.png

That there are 5 players with a min PA of 5.0 is even better, and that they are spread over 4 positions that there is some demand for is an added bonus. 

(30i) Eirík Halldór (Bal) is ranked the 4th best GK by PA.

(30k) Árni Sigurbjörn (Bal) is ranked the 4th best DL by PA.

(30e) Jón Orri Gunn (Amb) is ranked the 2nd best DR by PA.

(30b) Egill Gunn (Pro) is ranked the 2nd best DC by PA.

(30c) Kristóf Skúl (Bal) is ranked the 4rd best DC by PA.

(30d) Hanne (F.Amb) is ranked the 4th best DM/MC by PA.

(30g) Árni Þór (Bal) is ranked the 8th best DM/MC by PA. He is unlikely to ever feature for the Senior squad.

(30n) Bernhöft (Pro) is the 9th best, (of 10) AMC by PA. He is way off ever being good enough to feature for the Senior squad.

(30f) Björn Eggert (F.Loyal) is the 3rd best AML by PA.

(30a) Bjarki (F.Sport) (2030)* is the best AMR by PA. He is the 2nd best player at the club by PA, only behind (27e) Rób Örn Pál (Pro) *.

(30l) Gunnar Logi (F.Pro) is the 10th best SC by PA. He is unlikely to ever feature for the Senior squad.

There is only 1 SC in this intake. 

The reason I have detailed the relative strength of the positions by PA of this years intake is just to highlight that just because the player isn't a 5.0 PA player, there is still a decent chance of many players featuring at some point for the Senior squad. Yes of course we are advancing the whole time and the ability level required to make the squad at this stage might be much higher in 5 years, (by which time these players will be 21 years old), and should expect to be making an impact on the Senior squad if it ever going to happen. When you consider that we effectively rotate 2 complete teams throughout the season, as well as having a Youth squad that will play on it's own league, the Champions Youth League, the domestic Youth Cup, the French Youth Invitational and other less regular competitions, (which in itself requires 2 full teams to be rotated for ultimate success). So we have 4 different teams required at any one time and then we have all players between the ages of 19 and 24 who will ideally be sent out on loan if they are unlikely to impact the senior squad.

The reason that I send these players out on loan is to give them exposure to Senior football to aid their development, safe in the knowledge that I should have already tutored them to the desired level already, and added any required PPM's. If they are slow learning PPM's or slow to change personality, then they might be kept at the club until this is achieved, but there is a balancing act between the benefit of PPM's and personality, that need to be off-set against the benefit of exposure to Senior football. If both can not be achieved at the same club, then you have to decide what is more important to the individual player and then prioritise accordingly