dafuge's FM17 challenge

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, QSF25 said:

I do have one question though how do you guys set preason for low leagues? 

I always go high on tactical and match tactics until we are fluid on all aspects 100%. Do two friendlies a week on wednesday and saturday until season starts.

What is your take on this guys?

I always go Very High fitness in general training, Tactics in M.T. Training for the first 4 weeks or so of preseason.  Usually between friendly match 5 and 6 (I try to have 7 preseason friendlies) I'll drop to High, and depending on fitness levels leave it there or switch to tactics or cohesion (cohesion if I've made a ton of changes to the squad).  The extra fitness levels work wonders I've found.

58 minutes ago, G_D_K said:

I always go Very High fitness in general training, Tactics in M.T. Training for the first 4 weeks or so of preseason.  Usually between friendly match 5 and 6 (I try to have 7 preseason friendlies) I'll drop to High, and depending on fitness levels leave it there or switch to tactics or cohesion (cohesion if I've made a ton of changes to the squad).  The extra fitness levels work wonders I've found.

What days do of the week do you usually set them up? Do you leave a training followed by 2 pre match training days? Semi pro training gives me headaches always.

26 minutes ago, QSF25 said:

What days do of the week do you usually set them up? Do you leave a training followed by 2 pre match training days? Semi pro training gives me headaches always.

I think I arranged my pre-season friendlies 5 days apart so that I could fit enough in.  No specific days (like Wed/Sat) --- just picked a day and then spaced them out by 5 days.  Subsequent years I usually let AssMan set preseason friendlies (he usually arranged 4-5) and then fill in a couple more to help ensure fitness.  When I'm semi-pro I pretty much train every day I'm allowed --- which is usually...3 days a week in a one-match week?

I agree --- semi-pro training can be a pain :)

20 hours ago, noikeee said:

Also, warning for anyone scrolling through all the Conference North/South sides trying to find out which teams were promoted - Hednesford's league positions chart didn't show their last two seasons,

Or you could go to Englands Overview and follow dafuge advice :

A quick way to check the new teams is to find the 'England Overview' team, then the 'season summary'. Just above the FA Cup summary you should find a list of six new teams.

On 20/10/2016 at 21:36, Hypanimz said:

I usually fail once or twice before I manage to get going. Hopefully I don't fail first time around as I didn't have a backup save as Enfield and I don't think they get promoted that often!

Damn, was just about to ask if you had the save. Took me 20 hours on FM14 to get them, and that's not counting time taken to eat, bathroom, etc! They're my local side, completed the challenge with them in 2014 and 15.

6 hours ago, TacticalGenius said:

Damn, was just about to ask if you had the save. Took me 20 hours on FM14 to get them, and that's not counting time taken to eat, bathroom, etc! They're my local side, completed the challenge with them in 2014 and 15.

Sorry! I usually keep a master save but in my excitement I completely forgot. Although now the weekend is upon us I can put in a lot of time to Football Manager finally!

6 hours ago, TacticalGenius said:

Enfield Town save, if you get bored of reloading on your own. :)

Season 2017/18 Review - Burgess Hill Town in the Vanarama National League South

League TableSquad | TransfersSeason Review

6th, right now feeling something like finishing 4th in the Olympics. We were in playoff contention all season, but with 1 win from the last 9 games it was never going to last. Results were inconsistent even when things were going well, but I feel my incessant tactic tinkering in hopes of fixing that ended up costing us this one. Oh well. For a team that should be fighting near the bottom, this is still a good first season to build from.

While I'm within my budgets, club finances aren't looking too hot with the chairman injecting £85K mid-season just to see us sitting £120K in the hole come the end of it. I may have to be selective with which contracts I renew and which players are better just released. Amusingly, my wage budget is increasing quite a bit next season along with the new mid-table expectation.

Aim for next season: Better tactical consistency.

Season    League            Finish   Achievements
2017/18   Vanarama South    6th      -

Good luck to recent starters of the challenge nice to see some familiar participants from past years. 

Been a few years since I completed this challenge so hopefully can give it a good go this year. No luck getting Merthyr Town after hours of trying so might have to settle on another team soon.

@Scab Good first season despite the run at the end to put a stop to any play-off ideas. The wage budget increasing despite the finances is interesting.

This is me (the 3D messed up my beard :D). 

lgQxFDs.png

I lost all my friendlies, trying to find a suitable 4-4-2 formation. Then I checked my players stats in comparison to the Vanarama South and I figured that I have a strong/fast/high jumping team with poor passers and decision makers. So I stopped the nonsense of possession football with shorter passes and high pressing. Counter mentality, no special roles, mixed passing, pass into space, more disciplined, stick to position, dribble less and narrow shape. We are kinda like Cholo's Atletico Madrid, only we have no technicians. :lol:

This is my 4-4-2 tactic that I will use the first year, of course with some tinkering in games.

Spoiler

92pog4U.png

And this is the first game of the season against a team that is predicted to finish 19th.

Spoiler

cT0H023.png

3 hours ago, BillHoudini24 said:

Then I checked my players stats in comparison to the Vanarama South and I figured that I have a strong/fast/high jumping team with poor passers and decision makers.

How long has been this tool here? Nice.

Kettering Town F.C.

Previous post

I did this too and found that I have people with lots of defensive technique.

Up in the offensive we are very fast and down in the defensive we have good position and strong tacklers.

So I changed once more my tactic, we already knew 4-4-2 so I changed the mentality to counter. Taking this info in account and out of necessity because we were going up against the table leader. We crushed them in counters.

Also I have improved somehow.

Before | After

11 hours ago, TacticalGenius said:

I have just had an Enfield Town turn up. You interested?

12 hours ago, QSF25 said:

Or you could go to Englands Overview and follow dafuge advice :

I searched everywhere for that screen and couldn't find it, I thought it was contextual to the "end of season" news item and gave up...

32 minutes ago, noikeee said:

I searched everywhere for that screen and couldn't find it, I thought it was contextual to the "end of season" news item and gave up...

It's a pain to get to in that point in time, you need to find an English club and then use them to get a link to the England page.

If you go to the the world at the top and click on it you'll get this screen.

Bobby Blobby_  Home.png

If you click on Nations it will bring up the nations you've loaded. Click on the on you want (England) and then on the 25th Of July you will get the Season Summary option as shown here.

Bobby Blobby_  Home-2.png

Going with Spennymoor town this year. Couldn't bring up the patience to wait for one of the teams I really wanted. Hoping to have the first season done this weekend and will post an update if so. 

Goal is to play kick and rush based counter football with a target man and and 2 wingers. Ended up with a 4-2-4 which is somehow working at least at the start of the season:

fd2c77cba8.jpg

Halfway into the season I'm slightly above the relegation zone. I'm struggling to find a working tactic, so I guess I'm tinkering way to much. Got some good players, but can't get the defenders to play well, so we concede a lot of goals. I think I have a good chance to survive the drop.

13 hours ago, Wavelberry said:

Just noticed @Scab has already provided for you. Aren't we the bestest community?

Aren't you just! I've also been inboxed a couple of saves too. It seems that thanks to finishing 6th and 7th in the past two seasons that their rep has had a boost. No-one used to get Town (and tbh, I liked that, as I was pretty unique in managing them) but now they seem to be popping up more regularly.

Enfield_Town_F.C._logo.png

Enfield Town FC - Vanarama South - 2017/18

The first season is always a struggle for me to nail down some tactical consistency. I was playing a diamond 442 for the majority of the season with a mixed bag of results. We started off alternating with wins and losses until we had a run of 4 wins in a row in October. The wheels then fell off as we didn't win again until January in the league and I was fearing the worst. At the beginning of February I finally decided to change to a flat 442 which I had been considering all season and our form picked up significantly. We won 9 of our remaning 13 matches with this new shape only losing twice as we found ourselves chasing the playoff positions. Unfortunately we left it a little late and missed out by just 4 points. However plenty to be positive about as we had the best attack in the league. 

League Table

Past Positions

Cups - We lost to Dulwich Hamlet in the 3rd Qual round of the FA Cup whilst I was still messing about with tactics. We did go a little bit further in the FA Trophy as we made the 3rd round before Halifax knocked us out.

Squad I bought a lot of players but didnt really improve the quality of the side. I've tied down the better players to new deals and will offload some deadwood. Hopefully I can strengthen in a few areas ready for next season.

Finances - In debt, as usual.

Key Player Profiles:

Jack Nardiello - Top scorer with 29 goals in 45 games. Same again next season please.

Andre Da Costa - Signed in December. Took a while to settle in but did really well.

Scott Shulton - Was originally playing at the top of the diamond but moved back into centre midfield. 14 goals and 12 assists. 

Next Season

Next season I want to stick with my current tactic with no tinkering and make a push for the playoffs. 

Career Overview
Season          League                      League Finish     Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18         Vanarama South             8th                  

Anyone else ruining their club's finances? I'm finding the stuff on the pitch surprisingly easy, but I'm totally bankrupting the club at this rate. I didn't go past the wage budget but have 12 players on paid contracts (figured I had to do this to prevent my players being poached), and hired 3 scouts, an assistant manager, a coach, a physio and a head of youth development. Clearly that might've been a little overambitious. I suppose you guys stay well clear of the wage budget in order to survive?

Just now, noikeee said:

Anyone else ruining their club's finances? I'm finding the stuff on the pitch surprisingly easy, but I'm totally bankrupting the club at this rate. I didn't go past the wage budget but have 12 players on paid contracts (figured I had to do this to prevent my players being poached), and hired 3 scouts, an assistant manager, a physio and a head of youth development. Clearly that might've been a little overambitious. I suppose you guys stay well clear of the wage budget in order to survive?

Its pretty standard in the lower leagues to haemorrhage money. Your best hope is to get a cup run but usually you will lose money regardless. 

After 2 nights of trying and failing to get Merthyr, I am going to take on St. Neots

It looks like a tough challenge, but they do have decent youth level and training facilities.  I am not happy with my manager photo though.  I don't look like this in real life, unless its after a very tough night out.  I look like something of The League of Gentlemen here...

NpSH5Au.png

31 minutes ago, Hypanimz said:

Its pretty standard in the lower leagues to haemorrhage money. Your best hope is to get a cup run but usually you will lose money regardless. 

Yes but I started with a 37K€ balance, and by mid-November it's already -48K€. I'm not just losing money, we won't have a club if we go through 2 or 3 seasons of this.

I wonder if boards in FM17 still hand out random "investments", ie donations to cover for these endless pitholes of money like in some past FM versions. Or maybe the board will take a loan.

Just now, noikeee said:

Yes but I started with a 37K€ balance, and by mid-November it's already -48K€. I'm not just losing money, we won't have a club if we go through 2 or 3 seasons of this.

I wonder if boards in FM17 still hand out random "investments", ie donations to cover for these endless pitholes of money like in some past FM versions. Or maybe the board will take a loan.

I am currently at -£172k. The board randomly provide cash injections throughout the season however we are still losing money despite being under the wage budget. Unfortunately we have a small stadium and low average attendances. All adds up to losing a shed load of money.

As the sun sets on 2017 it's time to reflect on the season so far for Hayes.

Starting with a 1-4-3-2 formation and transitioning to 1-4-3-1-1 we were making slow and steady progress then the wheels fell off, this resulted in a switch to 4-4-2.

We're currently sitting in 18th with a 4-9-9 record, lets see what 2018 brings with the club leaking money and players asking for daft money to renew.

Oh and I've just noticed that my owner feels it might be time to pass the club over to younger hands.

The team report also shows a leadership void in the club.

Delighted about a great cup run in my first season. Managed to get lucky with the draw and then a bit of an upset vs. Boreham Wood in the 1st Round. 

Is the FA Cup 2nd round the one where match day revenues are shared? (i.e. If I draw away at a big team I get a lot of money)

4 hours ago, Wavelberry said:

Might have found a good one in my search for St Ives... If I don't get Cornwall's finest in the next few reloads I'm headed there...

If you are looking for St Ives in cornwall its no wonder you can't find them :D

Well this makes this easier then. I'm going in...

Dave Palpatine_  Inbox.png

Yep, I managed to get Folkestone. With my beloved side residing in the Ryman North and not available for this challenge I thought I'd go for the team who won the Ryman South last season.

Dave Palpatine_ My Profile Profile.png

Oh dear form has collapsed - going to be tight on staying up.

Heading in to the last game of the season the bottom of the table looks like this:

22nd Truro on 34

21st Chelmsford on 35

20th Concord on 35

19th Hayes on 37

18th Maidenhead on 38.

Final positions

22nd Truro 34 points

21st Concord 35 points

20th Chelmsford 36 points

19th Hayes 37 points

Just about staying up - almost nothing positive to say about this season.

The team is now subject to takeover talks with the supporters trust - phew that's completed and I still have a job.

Going through a lot of trialists - every one generates a media question!

Just signed Mourinho's son on a non contract basis.

Lowestoft Town | Vanarama North | Season One

As you could probably have guessed from my previous post, we won promotion at the first time of asking, this is how the final table looked very good from our point of view, a few less draws would have been nice but Im not one to majorly complain.

Here is the squad

Bit overloaded but most are on none-contract terms, standout performers are:

Dylan Casey summer arrival from Millwall, played very well, bombing down the flank and putting those crosses in.

Stuart Wilkin another new signing, had the pace and dribbling that is too good for this league, which showed in his stats.

Nathan Linton and then on the other side is Linton, again, pace, dribbling but with some crossing, very good season.

Jake Reed was at the club before I arrived, finishing and pace, which is all you need, and it helped, 40 goals in a season lol

Transfers

Finances

Archived