dafuge's FM17 challenge

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been an encouraging pre-season, though these are all smaller rep teams played mostly for fitness. I'm anxious to see if we can carry this form into the season proper.

The squad is actually pretty nice apart from a 7-month injury on the main DR, but I've made a few pointed signings, most notably Connolly on the left and Staunton on loan to fill in centrally for Cheick Touré. What’s that? Why would any sane manager replace Touré at this level? Why, because of his work permit situation. I was even blocked from signing a new contract, so now he's on a month-to-month deal and sadly probably won't be playing any more competitive football for us. 

I'm very surprised at the 15-2 odds the bookies have given us to make this work, especially considering how many reloads it took to even see this team promoted. Maybe the algorithm is smarter this year and takes more than club reputation into account? I’m used to sitting in the 1000-1 to 5000-1 range from previous years, so this will be an interesting change.

On the staff front: replaced my assistant and signed a fitness coach, physio, and scout. The board is too stubborn to allow any more, but I'm honestly pretty happy with these finds.

Let the season begin!

7 minutes ago, Swindon69 said:

Soon it'll be time for me to fail totally at this challenge :)

I usually fail once or twice before I manage to get going. Hopefully I don't fail first time around as I didn't have a backup save as Enfield and I don't think they get promoted that often!

1 hour ago, jsar said:

Really struggling to get a scout as cant offer more than £100 a week :(

Same here ---- all the scouts that I've had approach me want £200/wk.  I think I might be able to squeeze out £140-150/wk --- but certainly no where near £200 they're demanding.  Got a good start regardless (14 points from 7 matches) --- so I'm about to go to the board and request a bit more....maybe I'll get lucky there!

7 minutes ago, G_D_K said:

Same here ---- all the scouts that I've had approach me want £200/wk.  I think I might be able to squeeze out £140-150/wk --- but certainly no where near £200 they're demanding.  Got a good start regardless (14 points from 7 matches) --- so I'm about to go to the board and request a bit more....maybe I'll get lucky there!

Starting to wonder if its a bug? the fact that theoretically i can change my transfer budget so that I end up with a 91k budget and it doesn't really impact my wage number 

Just now, jsar said:

Starting to wonder if its a bug? the fact that theoretically i can change my transfer budget so that I end up with a 91k budget and it doesn't really impact my wage number 

I had a minor change to my wage budget when I signed a 16 yo DC ---- had to drop from £8700/wk to £8100/wk in wages in order to pay the xfer fee --- which sounds about right.  I just think it's a combination of rep and wage total.  (Need to confirm my total wages w/ staff added---that probably is the reason.  As I said...I could get a little over £100/wk....but not near the £200 requested.  Lowest I could get them to go was £160/wk too....just too big a difference to start with :-/  )

16 minutes ago, G_D_K said:

This just doesn't seem right

Chippenham Town_ Overview Overview.png

Chippenham Town_ Overview Overview-2.png

This seems to always happen early doors in FM games. IS it worth raising it as a bug? I understand people wanting money and understand the board restrctions but it seems rum not being able to sign even the worst scouts due to them not dropping below a certain wage.

In for my first ever Dafuge challenge. :)  I did attempt Gundo's similar challenge a few years ago in Croatia - made it to the CL last 16 but then never finished it.

I shall track my progress on my own FMCU thread but will keep an eye on everyone here.

Last night I holidayed (took a little too long, maybe I loaded too many leagues), and decided to take over Stourbridge, but by then it was too late to start playing. What I did notice is that my whole team is on non-contracts and half of the team (the better players) are all wanted by other sides. I'm not used to managing semi-pro sides, so any tips for best strategies to handle this? Are we powerless to stop our best players being poached at any random time?

Also, warning for anyone scrolling through all the Conference North/South sides trying to find out which teams were promoted - Hednesford's league positions chart didn't show their last two seasons, so I kept overlooking them as I searched for teams with a green dot at the end of the chart! Took me some 10 minutes to figure out the 6th elligible team was Hednesford.

13 hours ago, Wavelberry said:

This seems to always happen early doors in FM games. IS it worth raising it as a bug? I understand people wanting money and understand the board restrctions but it seems rum not being able to sign even the worst scouts due to them not dropping below a certain wage.

I did, apparently its what its supposed to do!

4 minutes ago, jsar said:

I did, apparently its what its supposed to do!

That's normal but it isn't what @Wavelberry is complaining about. He's saying he can't even hire a scout because the maximum wage the board gives him for a scout, is lower than what the worst scouts will accept. That's independent from the wage budget and it's a clear bug for me. In fact this used to happen in previous games and was fixed before.

If it happens in my game I'll report it.

42 minutes ago, noikeee said:

That's normal but it isn't what @Wavelberry is complaining about. He's saying he can't even hire a scout because the maximum wage the board gives him for a scout, is lower than what the worst scouts will accept. That's independent from the wage budget and it's a clear bug for me. In fact this used to happen in previous games and was fixed before.

Every single potential staff member I have approached have asked for exactly the same amount of money in their contract request. This has been at a level I can spend so I have managed to sign staff, however if it was higher than I could spend then I would not be able to sign any of them.

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

Yeah I reported that bit to, as I havent been able to sign a scout for this reason, maximum I can offer is £100 scout or £120 cheif scout so cant get a single person. So far managed a work around with a player scout which it let me pay more.

yJXnBJU.jpg

Kettering Town F.C.  2017 - 2018

Profile | Squad | League Table | Finances

Expectations

• Board Expectation: Avoid relegation.
  • Media Expectation: Relegation 20 th place
  • Self Expectation: Mid table.

Last time I did this challenge it didn't go so well so let's see if we can overcome our past. For starters I already have someone who has a bad opinion of me and I haven't even played a match or talked to anyone.  His name is Tommy Wright and he is the manager of Corby our fierce rival. This season is for you Tommy wherever you are.

Our first official match will be against Boston Utd who has bid on one of our hot prospects. Bastards. 

My Assistant Coach tells me that our best line up would be a 4-4-2 but I don't feel like leaving the defence alone on this lower level for some reason. I guess I'll go on a 4-1-4-1.

This is just the first day but I tend and try to get rid of everyone who is a bad apple, meaning bad personalities.

Next Post

36 minutes ago, BillHoudini24 said:

Can we open more countries for realism? I'm seeing some weird stuff in the transfer market. That aside, I started with Kingstonian, pretty historic team, but I will fail miserably. :lol:

You can load whatever countries & leagues you like :)

I do have one question though how do you guys set preason for low leagues? 

I always go high on tactical and match tactics until we are fluid on all aspects 100%. Do two friendlies a week on wednesday and saturday until season starts.

What is your take on this guys?

On 10/20/2016 at 08:29, IOA said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they're part of the challenge?

Although I loved/love managing them on FM16!

BTW hows Mr. Mullings on it, good lad and he's having a good season.

Actually ive just noticed that you are right, DOH!!!!

glad i havent been on it too much thanks to work

will start a new one

thanks for pointing it out

Kettering Town F.C.

Previous post

Transfers:

After going through the team I felt that I needed a Left back, a midfielder and a goalkeeper any injury I could fill with U-23 or U-18 not that there were any good prospects but I know myself and how bad I am with budgets so I didn't want to risk a bankrupt.

Leftback:

I found a great Left back. The bad news is that he needs a work permit if so how the hell has he been playing on lower leagues?!

Edit: They just denied him the work permit I am going to appeal!

EDIT 2: DENIED. Well I guess I still need a new left back.

Goalkeeper:

Somehow I didn't realiza that I had no First team goalkeeper. There were only two goalkeepers and both on trial. I finally signed up one of them but he asked way too much for appearences. I promised him first team playing time and he lowered his $$$ expectations.

Midfielder:

This guy has been a great asset so far in the friendlies and his traits making him even better. I am satisfied with all my three signings but I am scared that I am getting too many offers for my other players.

As I was already filling my voids I decided to see the loaning market.

Central Defender:

I saw that this guy was from wigan and I urge the scout to follow him. Normally they ask for some high offer to come but I got him for 0 wage all season. Hes got awesome strenght good tackling and avg positiong and anticipation. 

Right Winger:

This guy came from Chelsea. Hes not a very good player but hes fast, he has avg flair and work rate so I want him in order run all the way to the end.

Tactic

As I said before I didn't like having defenders alone in the back so I opted for a 4 -1-4-1

So far the intructions are the following. I still don't know If I am asking too much.

Anyway I am the in the middle of the preaseason let's see how it goes.

Pre-season

U9VOPGp.png

So preseason ended and we won most of our matches. Right about in the middle we started to play really well and we had a lot of opportunities but then down came a Barrow from the upper division and took our best defender. We still hadnt been able to fill the gaps and now we had to recover from that blow. 

But theres more.

While playing the next friendly our second best (now our best) defender got injured, it really looked aweful. I was panicking we were almost done with friendlies, we dropped a lot of chemistry because of the player we lost and if we hired someone else then all of the work done so far would leave us behind way too much. 

My third choice defender and my best youth prospect were getting bombarded with offers. I had to my wallet out.

Firstly I renewed their contracts and they ended the speculation about their futures.

I went into the market and looked for capped defenders and found these guys

And finally  bit of good news came along. We signed the second goal keeper.

In the end, right before the first official match this is how our chemistry ended up.

30mnbuo.png

Let's see how this all goes.

10 Matches in.

I got to be honest I am a little dissapointed as how the matches has been lost.  Usually a defender or a goalkeeper error that cost us that single goal. We created almost no chances on three matches and had to switch to 4-4-2.

Funny thing is that Chelsea U-18 that I said it wasnt a good player has been my best player and in a striker position. He has scored 4 goals and has 3 assists under his belt. The other striker has been fantastic with him but we still are way to shaky as team back in the defense.

Team

Last 10 Matches.

Next Post

Archived