Football Manager 2017 Pre-Release Beta Feedback Thread

The ME is refined, no doubt. In game AI is discernibly more complex, and animtations are improved in equal measure. (Clearly, the journey here is a long and arduous one!)...

missed opportunities for me:

- why not take the opportunity to add many new levels of colour/variation to overall standard of in-game Copy/news/editorial? Am easy and shallow 'win', but one that contributes to the game's overall emotional feel..

- why not take a real look at how the game manifests club "culture"? Managers like guardiola and klopp truly set the Agenda for the clubs they oversee...this bleeds into all aspects of how their clubs' long term development strategies play out...

- why not invest in bringing the 'reward' element of the game to life? It surely has to make you feel like you're doing more than just Winning a Spreadsheet...? Surely we can do more than just a  perfunctory email when we win the FA Cup? How could we manifest this more meaningfully? We want to create memories in the game world...and yet all we have is the game world equivalent of Wikipedia to (not) relive them...

- why not really overhaul one of the most underwhelming, but potentially most rewarding and relevant, aspects of the game: academy and youth development?   Currently this feels prosaic in the extreme.

just some thoughts. 

It just feels to me that we are talking about features with a small 'f' currently. If a Reveal Video spends time talking about Hygiene issues like the new kick-off legislation, you can't help but wonder if there is a need for an injection of new ideas or new perspectives...

always a huge fan of the game. But - as an entirely subjective response -  it has become more and more stratified, and less and less magical in recent times...

Edited by jackob

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
1 minute ago, jackob said:

The ME is refined, no doubt. In game is AI discernibly more complex, and animtations are improved in equal measure. (Clearly, the journey here is a long and arduous one!)...

missed opportunities for me:

- why not take the opportunity to add many new levels of colour/variation to overall standard of in-game Copy/news/editorial? Am easy and shallow 'win', but one that contributes to the game's overall emotional feel..

- why not take a real look at how the game manifests club "culture"? Managers like guardiola and klopp truly set the Agenda for the clubs they oversee...this bleeds into all aspects of how their clubs' long term development strategies play out...

- why not invest in bringing the 'reward' element of the game to life? It surely has to make you feel like you're doing more than just Winning a Spreadsheet...? Surely we can do more than just a  perfunctory email when we win the FA Cup? How could we manifest this more meaningfully? We want to create memories in the game world...and yet all we have is the game world equivalent of Wikipedia to (not) relive them...

- why not really overhaul one of the most underwhelming, but potentially most rewarding and relevant, aspects of the game: academy and youth development?   Currently this feels prosaic in the extreme.

just some thoughts. 

It just feels to me that we are talking about features with a small 'f' currently. If a Reveal Video spends time talking about Hygiene issues like the new kick-off legislation, you can't help but wonder if there is a need for an injection of new ideas or new perspectives...

always a huge fan of the game. But - as an entirely subjective response -  it has become more and more stratified, and less and less magical in recent times...

Best place for these would be the feature suggestions forum which can be found here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/353-football-manager-feature-requests/

Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

jackob - I'm happy for SI to take a year out every 3 years or so to polish up what we've got, ironing out all the bugs. In doing so maybe they can spend 2 years on major overhauls such as your suggestions to make sure they work well when they are introduced.

But isnt that what they constantly try to do? Polish up the game with every patch or yearly realease? Dont think leaving out 1/3 years will suddenly make the game more polished. 

Just now, Double0Seven said:

But isnt that what they constantly try to do? Polish up the game with every patch or yearly realease? Dont think leaving out 1/3 years will suddenly make the game more polished. 

It so often happens that when a major leap forward is undertaken there are stonks of bugs. I'm delighted to have a game I can get stuck into instead of waiting until January for the game to be half-playable.

Not got Beta access. November birthday means I get given the boxed game each year (every cloud and all that) :)

Just one question for those who are playing though. Are there any new PPM's in the game this year?  

First impressions, having played a full pre-season, I'm very impressed by this.

Things I like:

- Graphics / animations clearly improved

- Players seem a lot more composed on the ball and in turn, that makes them seemingly less vulnerable / idiotic (as in some recent versions of FM) under pressure

- Fast players, while dangerous, don't seem overpowered like in previous versions

- A good variety of types of goal. For example, 2 by Jermaine Defoe, ran onto 50 yd through ball from Pienaar and scored. Another a low cross from Watmore which he scuffed in from the 6 yd box. Didn't really see those types in FM16. Excellent.

- One nice touch when I had control of a match, putting the other side under pressure, was one of my CBs really stepping up to join in. On the whole, the defensive line is more adaptable, long balls aren't overpowered as they used to be (which IMO was a big issue often not picked up on in these forums), and its taken some of the micro management out of the game, which is good.

- 4231 works easily now - was often a heck of a job getting it to work in earlier versions of FM

- Generally, I feel much more confident tweaking roles & formations to suit what I need because player roles behave in a consistent manner. Also, I'm not having to "counter" a one-dimensional approach from the AI i.e. charging WBs all the time as in FM16

Questions:

- Is passing too accurate esp, in lower leagues (I'm asking, I don't know) or about right?

- I'm seeing players with good professionalism, but never unprofessional and that icon is now representing "unambitious". Is it now that real players can't have a low professionalism attribute, perhaps due to legal issues?

Hopes:

- I remember really liking the initial FM16 engine. Then the "bug" re. FBs defending too wide was spotted, SI had to correct and we then had the subsequent problems from that. Just hoping there isn't a game-breaker in here this time around.

- That when I start the real season it doesn't change - can happen as players seemingly become more aggressive

Edited by Lord Rowell

11 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

Anyone noticing quite high scorelines in the lower divisions? Not just in user controlled teams but any league that is ''active'' and uses the ME as the simulation.

Not at all. i'm managing in Scottish League 2 and all my results have been 1-0 or 0-1. The strikers are even worse than the defenders. Other scores around me seem perfectly realistic and low-scoring.

I did not read all posts, If someone asked that I'm sorry.

Why I don't select  favourite  team as a team which is not in the playable leagues. Like team of Turkish Third League.

edit: My bad. All teams are selectable.

Edited by YS-1965

I've stripped Rooney of captaincy and set him to unwanted. He's missed training 3 times now as he's unhappy and he is reportedly far from happy with being at the club. Yet every time I try to sell him for £0 he opts to stay. If he's so unhappy why doesn't he leave? 

6 minutes ago, SmurfDude said:

I've stripped Rooney of captaincy and set him to unwanted. He's missed training 3 times now as he's unhappy and he is reportedly far from happy with being at the club. Yet every time I try to sell him for £0 he opts to stay. If he's so unhappy why doesn't he leave? 

Money? Doesn't want to move to any of the clubs interested?

6 minutes ago, SmurfDude said:

Is anyone making an offer for him?

If so chances are they aren't offering him anything like the wages he is getting at Man Utd so he is opting to stay for the money.

On the other hand it could be a bug with him rejecting an offer but without more info we don't know, if you think it is add it to the bugs forum and upload the save for SI to review.

1 hour ago, Domoboy23 said:

Anyone noticing quite high scorelines in the lower divisions? Not just in user controlled teams but any league that is ''active'' and uses the ME as the simulation.

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

Not at all. i'm managing in Scottish League 2 and all my results have been 1-0 or 0-1. The strikers are even worse than the defenders. Other scores around me seem perfectly realistic and low-scoring.

Any other opinions on that would be appriciated because too many goals is a very important issue for me. Not only in lower leagues but in general. Are the scorelines realistic so far?

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

jackob - I'm happy for SI to take a year out every 3 years or so to polish up what we've got, ironing out all the bugs. In doing so maybe they can spend 2 years on major overhauls such as your suggestions to make sure they work well when they are introduced.

Glad you'd be happy for them to do it but it would be an interesting way to pay their mortgages

1 minute ago, Anaconda Vice said:

Does anyone else's computer fans go funny when in the 3D Match Engine. Mine start going faster for a few seconds then go back to normal again.

That's what the fans are for.. when the computer is under more load.. the fans will be working harder to cool... normal, unless it's abnormally fast or loud and your computer is too hot.

2 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I see it like sending a scout off to report on the next opposition - whether their JPA/JPP is 20/20 or 1/1, you get the same report.

I was under the impression Tactical Knowledge affected these reports. Certainly if you allow your Chief Scout to control who scouts next opposition he always picks the scout with the highest Tactical Knowledge.

Just now, Welshace said:

That's what the fans are for.. when the computer is under more load.. the fans will be working harder to cool... normal, unless it's abnormally fast or loud and your computer is too hot.

Jesus, thanks for that post, just checked my computer temps and GPU was at 97 Celsius. I forgot to turn my fan speed up again.

14 minutes ago, Defensive said:

Any other opinions on that would be appriciated because too many goals is a very important issue for me. Not only in lower leagues but in general. Are the scorelines realistic so far?

A little higher than real life in my opinion. It's just a first impression though. Seems attacking play is definetly improved from FM16 and freekicks actually get in.

Edited by andu1

1 hour ago, Domoboy23 said:

Can you provide some context please? What divisions are you looking at? What number of matches have been played? What was the goal count relative to real life in that same division, after the same number of games?

1 hour ago, ben carter said:

Not got Beta access. November birthday means I get given the boxed game each year (every cloud and all that) :)

Just one question for those who are playing though. Are there any new PPM's in the game this year?  

no, but they're now called 'Player Traits' rather than PPM's ;)

Regarding the ME my favourite "fix" so far is now when players get in to wide areas in the box, they'll square/cross the ball instead of trying to score from ridiculous angles. That frustrated the hell out of me in FM16. But I'm finally seeing some good football moves that end in a simple tap in. Much better. Overall I think the ME is superb tbh. 

2 hours ago, puffascruffowitz said:

Right you are, I mixed up sports scientists and DA's. I'm surprised they didn't add in an attribute for DA's like "Analysis" or something. So DA's truly don't have any key attributes? Interesting. So they're basically just to add flavor?

DA should be fairly good at understanding tactics in general, hava good communications skills to transmit data science to the coaches and be very good at statistics, databases, sql, python... Guess SI didn't want to bother with all that at this stage but I believe they will put it in sooner than later.

Guys Have noticed that in efl cup draws the draw looks like this Tottenham v                                                   Torquay

unlike the normal Tottenham v Torquay

5 minutes ago, thnigelfc said:

Guys Have noticed that in efl cup draws the draw looks like this Tottenham v                                                   Torquay

unlike the normal Tottenham v Torquay

Happening in all cup draws, think it's been reported now. 

Who on earth had the idea to remove player condition mid-match being shown as a percentage on the tactics screen unless you hover over those circles?! Terrible move. Especially in pre-season when you're more likely to want to take somebody off when their condition percentage gets low. I'd love to hear the logic behind that move. Can we have it back please? Pretty please?

My only complaint is that for the second year in a row my hopes that FM Touch or FM Lite would use the same match day screen as the full game has been for nought ... 

The only reason I don't use Lite or Touch is that I genuinely prefer the match-day screen UI on the full game, without those annoying control bars at the top of the screen. 

Has anyone been able to successfully port the full version match day graphic to touch? 

5 minutes ago, QWERTYOP said:

Who on earth had the idea to remove player condition mid-match being shown as a percentage on the tactics screen unless you hover over those circles?! Terrible move. Especially in pre-season when you're more likely to want to take somebody off when their condition percentage gets low. I'd love to hear the logic behind that move. Can we have it back please? Pretty please?

I'd flag any UI related annoyances here:

https://community.sigames.com/forum/516-user-interface-issues/

Just tried to teach my GK a PPM

2 options. 

Passing. Play simple passing game. Try killer balls where possible, avoid attempting through balls, look for the pass rather than the shot, slow down lay now and then. attempt long range free-kicks, dictate tempo, attempt long range passes, switch possession, start counters with long throws. 

Technique. Avoid using weaker foot. Attempt a flat bullet throw. Develop his weaker foot. 

Now my GK's are known to be more attacking than most, but some of those are not very GK-friendly. 

Game seems excellent so far but has the Create A Club option been disabled on the Beta?

I followed the same set up sets as FM16 but after creating the new club profile the option to progress on to choosing the squad is greyed out, as if it is waiting for further information.

Cheers

new signing press conference, meeting the board chat all the same, surely SI could put some new material in there.

Would like to see for the tactic set up a attacking formation and instructions for when my team are going forward and then a defensive one for when my team are transitioning from defence to attack and vice versus....

Generally seems pretty streamlined and looking forward to getting into the season

2 hours ago, Firehouse said:

Yeah, I like it so far. There are bugs there and there (all being reported I see), but generally it's looking good.

But is anyone having a feeling that there is too much direct free kicks in dangerous area?

I'm seeing quite a few as well.

I had partly put it down to having Cattermole & Khazri in my side - IRL both give silly free kicks away all the time. But worth putting out there. I have had a lot go in my direction as well come to think of it.

22 minutes ago, Lord Rowell said:

I'm seeing quite a few as well.

I had partly put it down to having Cattermole & Khazri in my side - IRL both give silly free kicks away all the time. But worth putting out there. I have had a lot go in my direction as well come to think of it.

TBF if Cattermole wasn't getting booked every game I'd be shouting bug.