Football Manager 2017 Pre-Release Beta Feedback Thread

So far from the Beta, full fat FM feels slower (in terms on game play not processing speed). It took me 32 hours to finish my first full season. This is probably because for the first time in a few FMs I'm playing in 3D on extended highlights, because it fun to watch the matches this year. There just seems like there is so much more to do. After every match and signing I always check the social feed, I find it's interesting and gives you food for thought with how you're doing. I've not had any issues with crashes. Only issue I've been having every now and then is when you go into a match "the teams are warming up" seems to take a little longer than I remember and also when the game is about to show the tunnel interview it 'thinks' for a while before the question comes up. But other than those small issues I've been really enjoying it so far. Got a good set of achievements from my first season too: http://steamcommunity.com/id/EightBit_Dan/stats/482730/achievements/ 

Really enjoying it so far SI. Great effort, much improved from last years edition in my opinion :-)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has any else noticed the referee doesn't give advantage on off-sides? I've seen a number of cases where the pass is being intercepted and never reaches the attacker that is in off-side position, but play is still stopped for it.

Is it normal that every single team does the new kick off? Surely it has to vary, actually most teams in real life do the normal 2 player kick off, but every single game ive played so far (including my team) has had the sole player doing so

Edited by Persee

10 minutes ago, Persee said:

Is it normal that every single team does the new kick off? Surely it has to vary, actually most teams in real life do the normal 2 player kick off, but every single game ive played so far (including my team) has had the sole player doing so

I do find it odd that you're not given the choice of kickoff.

18 minutes ago, Sheep said:

I do find it odd that you're not given the choice of kickoff.

Yeah exactly especially since the default choice is the new kick off style. I think it's a nice addition but we still need to have the choice

Can someone explain a bit about the Pass combination screen?

I understand the main concept but it's usually so dense that I don't understand much.

Also when you stand on a player it tells you a number of pass combinations, explanation?

Just now, Altair said:

If i not remember bad it was a couple of days before full release last time i buy it (fm 2015) Is no like that anymore?¿ Thank you.

They have been known to release the game a couple of days before the official date, and that could well happen this time if we're in luck.

15 hours ago, Matshit said:

I have holidayed the game until 2039 now, and though I should make some stray observations.  No spoilers.

- Most every league is terribly one sided. Juventus has won all but three Serie A,  Real Madrid had 10 league trophies in 11 years,  Zenit won 15 leagues in a row. I could give a lot of examples.
- Strikers score an extremely low percentage of the goals on low detail. Only one striker has managed 30 goals in PL yet, in La Liga none has.  The most goals scored by a Golden Shoe winner is 31.  One year, the best was 20.
- The big clubs spend way more money on star players compared to earlier games. The most spent is 128 million, with 7 players reaching triple digits.
- On a more negative note, clubs also seems to overspend on players who hasn't really shown anything. To take an example. Leverkusen signed a player from Bayern who started 12 matches last season with a rating of 6.73. At the time he was 23 years old and had zero caps for Portugal. The prize was 45 million Euro.
- As in earlier games, England seems to be the only nation capable of keeping hold of players. They have a few players abrouad in their national team. The Spanish team on the other hand has 2 Atletico players, 1 in Real Madrid and 1 at Real Betis, the rest playing abroad.
- Speaking of which. A club like Barcelona has 1 "trained at club" players who are close to the first 11.
- A surprisingly high amount of big clubs play a flat 4-4-2.
- The French league has the two highest reputation teams, and dominate down the line having 16 of the top 32. Germany has 8 and England 5. England is the biggest reputation league, with Germany in second and France in third. Not sure how that can happen.
If there is anything you want me to look at, shout out, but this is what I have so far.

MatShit, I love your opinions mate. With a username like that, how could I not?

11 hours ago, duwy said:

me is usually at around 10 for passing. One has 13, another

10 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I never had an issue with crossing in FM16 at all (despite all that was written about it), however in this version I've noticed most of my goals are coming from this method despite playing with a narrow formation without wingers.  I do play with attacking fullbacks to compensate the otherwise lack of width, but I'd have expected the goal types to be spread out a bit more. However this is only about 17 games into the first season, so there's still time for it to even itself out a bit more. 

of defensive qualities, they are all pretty grea

This is funny. FM16 was known for its crossing issues, and you did not encounter ANY issues with crossing in FM16? And now youre having an issue with FM17 and its crosses? Classic.

The board invite me to a meeting to discuss their idea to buy the ground. THEIR idea, note.

I tell them I think it's a great idea.

They respond with:

"We are not currently willing to consider this due to the club's present financial situation.

Let's hope the next time we have a meeting it goes a lot better than this one."

Well, jeez guys, next time perhaps don't bother me with it, then.

10 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I never had an issue with crossing in FM16 at all (despite all that was written about it), however in this version I've noticed most of my goals are coming from this method despite playing with a narrow formation without wingers.  I do play with attacking fullbacks to compensate the otherwise lack of width, but I'd have expected the goal types to be spread out a bit more. However this is only about 17 games into the first season, so there's still time for it to even itself out a bit more. 

I had to stop playing fm16 due to the fact I could score 80 in one pl season with bonnazoli due to benefitting from the crossing bug, using tactics that were objectively realistic. 

In 17 statistically it is telling me most of my goals scored are coming from crosses, but the balance feels spot on. It matches my tactics and my level and unlike before it doesn't feel like I'm cheating, probably because i lose a lot. 

In 16 my complete forward would score from a cross from the winger from halfway between the box and the halfway line on nearly every attack. 

In 17 I find it more or less comparable to real football in terms of goal variety (even if not animation).

Possibly nit picking the percentage of goals scored by unmarked winger nipping in from back post is a little high but only in sense of gut feeling and not to levels of bug report,  and only a mere fraction of 16 exploit levels. 

4 minutes ago, matty1294 said:

Is there any way to get rid of the clutter on the tactics screen in the bottom right? 

Also how do you know if your running on 64bit? I've got a 2014 Macbook Pro Retina on latest Apple software. 

Here http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001121.htm

I would think a newly purchased laptop/computer in the last 12 months, it would be x64bit.

Edited by AustralianKopite

For people complaining about injuries I will suggest something that made a difference and worked for me. It is a common misconception that physios in the team just predict the length of recovery from injury. I followed this misconception and fired 5 of 8 of all physios from my team to save money and staff space. Got a early season injury galore leading to my team missing 6 first team players and one important substitute in 7th or 8th round of the championship. Than I read that physios do more than predict injuries - even tho people couldn't explain what exactly they said that more physios makes them have less workload and can attend more attention to every player needing it. Next time I hired one to go to maximum 9 and felt a massive difference in injury proness without changing anything about, training, pre-season load or anything like that. Continued hireing maximum number of physios  in my subsequent saves and never had the injury galore anymore.

12 minutes ago, Konfuchie said:

For people complaining about injuries I will suggest something that made a difference and worked for me. It is a common misconception that physios in the team just predict the length of recovery from injury. I followed this misconception and fired 5 of 8 of all physios from my team to save money and staff space. Got a early season injury galore leading to my team missing 6 first team players and one important substitute in 7th or 8th round of the championship. Than I read that physios do more than predict injuries - even tho people couldn't explain what exactly they said that more physios makes them have less workload and can attend more attention to every player needing it. Next time I hired one to go to maximum 9 and felt a massive difference in injury proness without changing anything about, training, pre-season load or anything like that. Continued hireing maximum number of physios  in my subsequent saves and never had the injury galore anymore.

Actually guide to football manager explicitly says physios rolls are reducing chance of injury occurring, reducing length of injury and reducing recovery after injury is gone. Besides that they do also estimate the length of the injury.

58 minutes ago, Pompey1978 said:

The board invite me to a meeting to discuss their idea to buy the ground. THEIR idea, note.

They respond with:

"We are not currently willing to consider this due to the club's present financial situation.

Is the chairman of Truro still that super-dodgy property developer who nearly bankrupted Plymouth?

Mind you, as a Pompey fan that'll be a step up for you ;-)

24 minutes ago, Konfuchie said:

Actually guide to football manager explicitly says physios rolls are reducing chance of injury occurring, reducing length of injury and reducing recovery after injury is gone. Besides that they do also estimate the length of the injury.

I'm by no means convinced; in addition, in FM17 the sports scientist is supposed to perform that role, suggesting physios never did.

24 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I'm by no means convinced; in addition, in FM17 the sports scientist is supposed to perform that role, suggesting physios never did.

Your conclusion doesn't really follow. If it ever was the case, if, then it being changed for fm17 doesnt indicate it wasn't the case before. 

Just now, Per Annum said:

Your conclusion doesn't really follow. If it ever was the case, if, then it being changed for fm17 doesnt indicate it wasn't the case before. 

SSs are a new feature, and they are supposed to reduce injury times/recurrence of injuries.  IF physios already do that, SSs are pointless.

So this 16.2 update I now see a Report Bug tab bottom left corner of game screen.

When I click on it, it brings up my browser to these forums but alas, it says ...

Sorry, there is a problem

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

Error code: 2F176/1

Well it may be that they diagnosed it more accurately, but on FM16 when I got better physios i.e. I had player who was injured for let's say 7-8 weeks, and with new physio it would say only 3-4 weeks, so I always thought that better physios reduce time for injuries, at least I put it together this way.

Edited by Firehouse

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:
1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

SSs are a new feature, and they are supposed to reduce injury times/recurrence of injuries.  IF physios already do that, SSs are pointless.

If physios already did that, then adding SS to do the same job better reflected real situation. Your conclusion still doesn't fit. Risking getting petty now and that's only if they did it I  first place

8 hours ago, eriktous said:

Has any else noticed the referee doesn't give advantage on off-sides? I've seen a number of cases where the pass is being intercepted and never reaches the attacker that is in off-side position, but play is still stopped for it.

I don't know if it's a feature or not but i did see the linesman waving for offside, in one of my games, but the ref continued the play.
I thought it was because my player, who was flagged for offside, never got the ball. The opposition kept the ball and kept playing.

2 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Sports Scientists help with player jadedness, not injuries.

There is a problem that maybe overlooked, as I have seen couple or more people raising an issue, I mean younger players will ask for ridiculous wage for example try to buy Pulisic from Dormund while managing top club.

Edited by Wells

1 minute ago, phnompenhandy said:

What does that mean again, and is plus or minus good for jadedness?

When you see a player with the orange "RST" icon next to their name, that's a player being jaded - ie., he's been playing a lot and needs a rest.

A Sports Scientist should help to reduce this.

Just now, Wells said:

There is a problem that maybe overlooked, as I have seen couple or more people raising an issue, I mean younger players will ask for ridiculous wage for example try to buy Pulisic from Dormund while managing top club.

Loads of top clubs want him - he can demand what he wants!

Just now, herne79 said:

When you see a player with the orange "RST" icon next to their name, that's a player being jaded - ie., he's been playing a lot and needs a rest.

A Sports Scientist should help to reduce this.

If the player's getting to that point does it affect his fitness or morale? Or both?

2 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Loads of top clubs want him - he can demand what he wants!

Not only him, I said younger players as this topic below talks exactly the issue

Says need more info - Underwhelming.. to be honest, if this isn't fixed i'm skipping FM 17.

Edited by Wells

So I got my whole team playing very good, and now everyone wants a new contract, and everyone wants to be a key player with 150k+ per week contracts. A little too much if you ask me. And if I negotiate them to be first team players, then they want to be even more payed. I currently have 6 key players in my squad :D My fault to say, because I think there is max. 3 key players in squad, but I can't help it if everyone who have rating more than 7 asks to be a key player.

6 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

If the player's getting to that point does it affect his fitness or morale? Or both?

Jadedness is kind of a mental state of mind as well as Condition.  A jaded player can look fit and have high morale, but he might not be able to give 100% in a match.  It can impact on how quickly a player recovers after a match as well as his in game performance - he might tire more quickly / his condition might drop faster.

Do players turned coaches gain tendencies over time? Like buys young players, expects attacking footbal etc? Or is it set when they are generated? If so then it would be nice to increase the chances of them having more tendencies, it would increase the immersion in long term saves.

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, Pompey1978 said:

They respond with:

That sounds like a bug, could you please head over to the bugs forum and post about, ideally uploading a save prior to said meeting?

Thank you,
Seb.

ok so played the update for quite a few hours now so here's my feedback.

defending seems much better, though players do tend to clear out when there other better and other options. Players still reacting to the opposition getting the ball rather than the ball. What I mean is when a ball is played a player will only react when the ball reaches the opposition rather than react to the direction of the ball.

opposition still plays like brazil with players with passing of 10 and crossing of 10 finding the head of their forward almost every time and rarely miss placing a pass.

pressing is a lot better.

dribbling like most previous versions still doesn't really exist in the middle of the park, you can have a player with 20 dribbling who will regularly get tackled by average players. On the wings though dribbling has improved much better.

man marking just doesn't exist in the game but this is because as I said before the player reacts to when the opposition gets the ball rather than movement of the opposition or the ball.

if you don't man mark they intercept more often

finishing has improved as before I was having 30 odd shots and saw some woe full finishing but now when they miss a one on one it seems real like a save or over or wide rather than hitting the corner flag from 3 yards out :)

overall feel of the game has improved, I feel like tactically you can now actually change the game and influence your players if you fall behind.

this next bit cld be a bug not sure but when signing young kids with no international exp at any level is 16 yo or 15 yo and you want the fee after int games it comes off your transfer budget right away which is weird .

this is by far the best beta I have ever played of fm it seems almost perfect in my opinion and love the realism of the transfer market you now get massive transfer fees which is cool :)

50 hours into my new beta save and I have only played 4 league matches as well as 4 Europa league early round matches!

FM17 is quite simply superb. The interaction between the staff and the Manager is superb and a lot more realistic than in previous matches. During matches the feedback by the Assistant Manager regarding players ' blending into your choosen tatic' (or not) is a good reflection of their game time.

I have found FM17 to be very clever and a lot harder than previous editions, which is a good thing. I like to oversea all three squads with a keen eye and slowly improve my entire squad in a long-term and realistic manner which is how this edition appears to be set up.

I have yet to read any comments by other FM fanatics and have avoided all 'spoilers' of lists of players with high potential ability as I prefer to allow my staff and myself to find out these things by good old fashioned trial and error, keep up the good work SI.

Edited by Statsarefacts
wrong number of matches

just a question not put this in training one as it might be relevant to feedback on the database.

on training a lot of my players are saying the training is heavy but its only on average with rest before and after match. Less match training. I do have them training a particular skill like passing etc. And some have a move to learn but if I don't do this I can't get the young kids to progress enough

oh and forgot to mention in my other post but injuries seem to have gone mad!!!! #just saying ;)

Edited by jacknjill