I need to PP ! PP-70 that is.

chesterfan2

I think i'd prefer forthright as a discription of Kaija thank you very much !

And on the next day the next bit arrived

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">PP-70 Squad Report – Part 2

Section 3 – Midfielders

18. Pasi Lahti Aged:29

Though only signed in January and possessing of plenty of good midfielders attributes this player has never amounted to much. One of the lesser lights potential wise too. A good job you already have him on the transfer list.

14. Vesa Etelemaki Aged:25

Timo’s younger brother and PP-70’s most consistent player last term. Having said that could possibly improve in this area and cash in on one of our more saleable assets. He’s middle of the road when it comes to Defensive midfielders at the club, talent wise, and is one whose future you should consider carefully.

32. Lasse Vornanen Aged:27

Another defensive midfielder that is surplus to requirements. Takes a good penalty, but that’s about it. On the transfer list already and I see no need to dissuade you of that notion.

6. Tomi Lahtinen Aged:22

Did well when asked to contribute last season but is yet another defensive midfielder at this club who isn’t going to make the grade in the top division. I recommend transfer listing immediately.

22. Linus Blomster Aged:21

Young midfielder who can play down the right or down the left. Was used as an emergency left back last season, too. This is a talented youngster who would do well to get some first team experience in his ‘correct’ positions soon.

Aleksi Koivunen Aged:19

U-20 player, right midfield. Probably won’t make the step up to first team.

34. Christoffer Carlsson aged:17

Swedish midfielder who can play centrally or left,. He’s only 17 but is already a first team fixture. He has bucket loads of talent and my guess is will show it off in the top division if given the chance.

21. Joni Lehtonen Aged:33

First team regular in middle of the park. You must be hoping for one more decent year from this player. An on-pitch leader and an asset to the team.

Mikko Kokko Aged:18

U-20 player. Not one of the good ones.

11. Jusso Ollikainen Aged: 24

Can play either wing but here has been utilised solely on the left. A bit of a talismanic figure to the fans. But once again as left wingers go I think this is an area we need to strengthen and I wouldn’t have this player pencilled in on any team sheet just yet.

8. Tero Karhu Aged:24

Technically a very gifted player, but not one who made much of an impression last year. May be good enough to be backup to the main players but I don’t think he’ll ever make it to the starting line up on a regular basis.

7. Jussi Kotilahti Aged:26

Can play in the middle but found success on the right wing last year. Is one of the club’s best players and also one of it’s best assets. I think we gain more from keeping him, however.

26. Andrejs Arjais Aged:24

Latvian trouble maker. Get rid.

Jarno Priha

Another U-20 ‘prospect’ not worth mentioning.

Samuli Laitila

Was formally the club’s staring left winger. Now surplus to requirements and on the transfer list.

23. Anssi Ripatti Aged:24

Left winger who isn’t really quite up to top division standard. You should sell. Why did you buy him in the first place ?

38. Rian Aged: 24

Brazilian midfielder who will have a role to play in the first team this season. Will hopefully see the best of him this year.

Section 4 – Strikers

9. Jarno Eranen Aged:24

Last year’s top scorer and a striker near the top of his game. And that could be the trouble. This could be as good as it gets for Jarno and only time will tell if he can cope in the higher division.

29. Mikka Nurmi Aged:38

Is hanging up his boots in January.

10. Harri Mikkola Aged:28

Good First Division forward who at this age isn’t going to get any better. As with Eranen, the Premier Division may well be one step to far for this willing workhorse.

13. Sergiy Panchenko Aged:29

Scored goals last season and seems to be a man for the big occasion. Trouble is that everything I’ve said for Mikkola and Eranen goes in spades for the Ukranian marksman. I doubt if he will cope at the higher level. I would recommend putting him on the market whilst his value is elevated and replacing him with a more talented model.

20. Sebastian Goransson Aged:19

New signing from Swedish non-league footy is a talented young man who is still a couple of seasons, one would think, from first team action. He needs a bit of experience and may be better off in the U-20 side this year.

39. Ville Saxman Aged:17

Signed mid-season and has had a couple of appearances for the first team with a goal to show for it. Highly talented and one for the future but could possibly also be ready to do a job for you now. Though younger than Goransson he looks more of the finished article and could do very well this year.

Jaakko Immomnen

U-20 striker. Isn’t good now and highly unlikely to ever become anything. Not even worth keeping this year in all honesty.

Section 5- Summary

Strangely enough the main area to strengthen in is the forward line. If you consider the players that got us promoted last season that sentiment would seem strange but I’m just not sure that they are talented enough to get us to safety in this division. In other areas promote Makkinen to the first team as soon as you dare, you won’t regret it. We need cover at left back but apart form that the defence needn’t be a high priority. In midfield we have good players but are a little thin in places. We could do with a left winger and cover in all other midfield positions. I’d also try to cash in on some of the assets that we have in order to fund this rebuild.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took on board many of the points in the report placing straight onto the transfer list Zerbo, Uoti, Gronlund, Tomi Lahtinen and Ansi Ripatti. I also trolled round teh details of Andrejs Arjais around the clubs in the hope of finding a taker.

I also let clubs know that whilst I wasn't putting him on the transfer list I would listen to offers for the £200,000 rated Sergiy Panchencko. He was great for us last season, but if what we need to do is sell him in order to have a decent go at this division, then that's exactly what we must do.

I'm not bothered by the boozemans since I'm not in Tallinn. But they buy most of their expensive stuff from here, since in Finland it's a lot more expensive. Though when Estonia goes to Euro's this will change probably.

The first moves.

The first player to leave was Anssi Ripatti. Kaija will be pleased. We got £2,000 for him as he went to TP-Seinajoki. On the same day we got permission to talk to the Sandvikens IF forward, Piotr Bajdziak who is 22 years old and fresh from the Polish Under-21 side. He looks a good player, a certain improvement on what we have here already. Meanwhile Ilja Gronlund was on his way to FC Kiisto for £1,000. Tomi Lahtinen went for the same amount to TKT.

Bajdziak agreed terms and signed on, £2,000 the price tag.

ring, ring. ring, ring

It wasn't that much of a surprise when the phone went, minutes after the final confirmation of Anssi Ripatti's transfer to TP-Seinajoki was faxed through. No surprise who was on the other end, either. She wasn't best pleased. I put her on speaker phone and stood well back as she let rip.

Hanna Ripatti (HR): " You B*****d !, You've sold my brother down the river you B*****d"

Hanna was never was the best at creative swearing. But I digress... she continued...

HR: "Selling him to a non-league team ! He only ever dreamed of playing in the top division and you've taken it away from him. You B*****d !"

I went to speak, say some placating words, possibly about Antti's lack of talent , but she hadn't finished.

HR: "That's it, Langley, if you ever thought you had a chance of getting back with me it's over, finished , DEAD !"

And she slammed the phone down.

I sat back down at my desk, and started to look over the incoming scouting reports. They had turned in some dross in the previous few days and I was beginning to worry that the standard of playing they were recommending just weren't good enough.

After a couple of minutes I could sense someone was behind me. I turned and there in the doorway was Kaija. She was grinning from ear to ear. She had obviously overheard the phone conversation in full.

"That's a real shame" I said.

Kaija collapsed into a fit of giggles and I sensed further work was going to be difficult. So I made the girl an offer she couldn't refuse.

Shall we go for a pint, then ?

Cheers, Tanel. It's always nice to know that you check back on this story from time to time.

I guess my database predates April. Otherwise do you think I would have sold him by now ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chesterfan2:

Cheers, Tanel. It's always nice to know that you check back on this story from time to time.

I guess my database predates April. Otherwise do you think I would have sold him by now ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm pretty sure you'd have. icon_wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Two more come on board

We soon had two more faces join the cross country skiing sessions, Gustav Sandberg a 21 year old left back came from Koping of Sweden and Norwegian right winger Thomas Nymo, 20, came from Porsanger, a Norwegian non-league outfit. They both come highly rated, of course, and should increase competition for places.

Two more come on board

We soon had two more faces join the cross country skiing sessions, Gustav Sandberg a 21 year old left back came from Koping of Sweden and Norwegian right winger Thomas Nymo, 20, came from Porsanger, a Norwegian non-league outfit. They both come highly rated, of course, and should increase competition for places.

Will this pre-season never end ?

It's a sad fact that the footy season in Finland is relativly short and therefore the pre-season is relativly long. And so it was proving to me here. The lads were training away, mainly fitness stuff and the scouts were out looking for new prospects.

But apart from when news of a prospect came through there wasn't too much to do at this point. Every weekend I checked the footy results from England, Liverpool were making a good run at the premiership this year, and during the week I spent alot of time trying to fill the time with what little work there was for me to do.

On the plus side it meant more time with Kaija and the beautiful Finnish countryside in mid-winter. Boxing Day slipped past without me having arranged the traditional fixture against Santa Claus, an oversight on my part, the crushing inertia rendering me near useless.

New Year's Day, or more specifically New Year's Eve, was a bit different. As a special treat for all the lads we hired one of the cities bars and held an evening that combined Finnish and British New Year's traditions. All the players and staff of the club came to come along with their wives, girlfriends, families and a fantastic night was had by all. Much beer and wine was drunk and we were well into the hours of the new year when the last of the revellers rolled home.

The evening proved to be a catalyst, and though I woke with a monster hangover that New Year's Day afternoon, one thing was clear. It was time to get to work.

Author's Note: If you set up a game with the idea of doing a Finnish story with the Scandanvian leagues and the English and Scottish leagues running (as I have) you will find the the game will take an absolute age to get round to the new Finnish season once the old one has ended. I have found it very hard going at times, hence the lack of action on this story for a while. I apologise for the break in service. I hope normal levels of story writing will be resumed shortly.

So Much Work,so little time

The return of Jusso Olikainen after his break lifted spirits all round. Bouyed by seeing his cheerful face we orgainsed the fixture against Santa Claus. A little late sure, but I hope the big man won't mind.

I also looked for an early season friendly against the Under-20's side. Would give me a look at Makinen if nothing else.

We added another player to the roster, a 21 year old centre back by the name of Kim Riami, who can also play om the left of a four man defence. He came from GrIFK amd cost £2,000. He'll be another good squad player.

So who's the guy in the red cape, you know, the one who keeps feeding the reindeer ?

Just as an exercise in futility I thought I'd ask Gjerdalen, now in a coaching role only at the club, to select what he thought was the best team for this, our first friendly, against Santa Claus in beautiful downtown Rovianiemi.

And this is the side he chose:

GK: Peltonen

DR: Tornqvist

DL: T. Etelamaki

DC: Makinen

DC: Nielsen

MR: Kotilahti

ML: Sandberg

MC: V.Etelemaki

MC: Carlsson

FC: Bajdziak

FC: Saxman

Some major surprises in there, but after Kaija's report not too many that I disagreed with. I was interested to see what Makinen could do in the centre of the park, As I was Nielsen beside him. Sandberg on the left of midfield was a curious choice, I'd always thought of him as a left back. Just as interesting was only bench spots for Valkeapaa, Eranen and Panchencko. it sure made interesting reading and I decided to go with it for the friendly game against Santa's little helpers.

The first chance of the game fell to Bakdziak after only six minutes, but he blazed wide from a narrow angle. He was thwarted by a great last ditch tackle as he bore down on the keeper five minutes later. It was a full 20 minutes before Santa Claus offered the home supporters anything to cheer about, but the shot when it came was well wide from distance. The game remained scrappy until the 33rd minute as a Sandberg inswinging corner was met inside the six yard box by Saxman who made no mistake with his header, one-nil. Kotilahti headed wide when well placed late on in the half so we went in just the one goal to the good.

We went into the second half with a bit of a spring in our step, Bajdziak forcing a spectacular save on 52 minutes, blazing wide on 58 and setting up Carlsson for a chance that he should of done a whole lot better with on 62. Santa Claus crafted themselves a more than servicable chance on 71, but Peltonen was well up to the task. Our second goal came on 78 minutes, Saxman again the scorer, this time played inside the defender by Vesa Etelamaki and making no mistake from twelve yards out. This proved to be the final score as Santa Claus decided to shut up shop and try to frustrate us for the last ten minutes.

At least that worked for them. Not much else did. 2-0 flattered them if anything but our finishing did leave something to be desired. Just pre-season rustiness or something more worriesome, who could tell.

Final Score: Santa Claus 0-2 PP-70

It's good to start on a winning nore, even if it is only a friendly

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chesterfan2:

Author's Note: If you set up a game with the idea of doing a Finnish story with the Scandanvian leagues and the English and Scottish leagues running (as I have) you will find the the game will take an absolute age to get round to the new Finnish season once the old one has ended. I have found it very hard going at times, hence the lack of action on this story for a while. I apologise for the break in service. I hope normal levels of story writing will be resumed shortly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can imagine ... I played often in Norway where the season is the same. Would love to start a game in Norway now, with Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland and maybe Russia running. But I fear the problem which caused my Melfi game to die is still not solved by SI icon_frown.gif

And so it begins

I never thought that keeping hold of the now 16 year old protegy, Matti Makinen was going to be easy, but this was ridiculous. KooTeePee very kindly offered to take the lad off our hands for nothing but a 50% future fee clause. I told them where to get off. Satisfying but not a subject we've heard teh last of I fancy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But I fear the problem which caused my Melfi game to die is still not solved by SI </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice to see you still following the action here, Loeffle. I can't recall what your problem was with the Melfi game, though, what was the issue ?

All press is good press ?

KuPS manager Juha Malinen has resigned his post in order to take over the national team's manager's job. This of course leaves a vacancy at the Premier Division club. Some of the papers are bandying my name about as a possible successor, and to be honest, I'm not sure that's a good thing.

It's flattering, for sure, but I don't want my players thinking that my heart's not fully into this battle that we face next year in the top flight. That would never do.

Internal Affairs

For the game against our U20 side I put everyone 20 or under back into the U20 squad, just to make a game of it. That meant we would be without Christoffer Carlsson or Ville Saxman to name but two regulars, but that would give me achance to look at as many of our players as possible.

The side I selected for the 'Senior' team was as follows:

DR: Dahm

DL: Sanberg

DC: Thiman

DC: Tornqvist

ML: Genberg

MC: Rian

MC: Lehtonen

FC: Badjziak

FC: Panchenko

A mix of new and old in my selection. I was especially looking forward to see how Genberg did on the left wing and how Sandberg looked as a full back.

The U20's started the game more brightly than the seniors and took the lead on 11 minutes after a poor kick out by Peltonen. As the ball came back it was scrambled clear by Tornqvist but only as far as Carlsson who fed the ball to Saxman in space, and the the young forward made no mistake in slotting the ball home. The game was with the youngsters for most of the rest of the half but they couldn't add to their score and at half time it was still one-nil.

At half time I bought on Mikkola to replace Panchenko who looked to be carrying a knock. In the second half the senior side came to life a bit and forced a couple of decent saves out of Niemenen in the U20 goal. But two isolated chances apart that was all that we had and the game finished 1-0 to the U20s.

Final Score PP70 0-1 PP70 U20

Not many questions answered unfortunatly

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But I fear the problem which caused my Melfi game to die is still not solved by SI </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice to see you still following the action here, Loeffle. I can't recall what your problem was with the Melfi game, though, what was the issue ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was in Norway for three weeks - my "Norton Protection Center" was deleting some temp files of my Melfi game while I was saving. As I only had one safe that one was corrupted and I couldn't bring it back to life. SI knows that a number of user has this problem, but so far the solution they offered doesn't help me as it let my other programs work.

Guess only computer geniuses can play this game without crashing icon_frown.gif

Gah, bad luck Loeffle, I have Norton on my machine and it hasn't done anything that naughty yet, but there is still time....

The next friendly

A little over a week later the next friendly in our pre-season programme came up. A home game against Division One stalwarts VG-62. they are certainly one of the better sides in the lower division and will provide us with a good test.

I made a couple of changes and came up with this, experimental, line up.

GK: Hoiby

DR: Holmgren

DL: T. Etelamaki

ML: Ollikainen

MC: V.Etelamaki

MC: Valkeapaa

FC: Genberg

FC: Goransson

The first half was, quite frankly, a dour affair with very few in the way of cahnces for either side. We forced a string of corners, but they were defended comfortabaly enough by VG-62. We got ourselves into some good positions but it was noticable how poor our crossing was.

0-0 at half time 4 chaneces (2 on target) for us and 3 chances (1 on target) for them were the scores on the doors. At the half time break I took off Kotilahti and gave young Thomas Nymo a chance for the second half.

Despite asking the lads to get forward a bit more the second period was more of the same, punctuated only by one of the most ludicrous pieces of defending I have ever seen. On 75 minutes, and under absolutely no pressure, Roger Nielsen over hit a backpass, left Hoiby with no chance, slotting the ball neatly into his own net from 25 yards out.

Unfortunatly we couldn't muster a response, and the game finished 1-0 to VG-62

Final Score PP-70 0-1 VG-62

Frankly, very worrying. Nothing up front, a dodgy defender and a fairly anonymous midfield. Not much short of a disaster really

Well for the past 3 days I have read the full 9 pages mate. This is very enjoyable and I'm really fired up to start another Scandinavian league. I've enjoyed plaing with Kiruna for 3 seasons then moved on to Salzburg. I'm interested maybe something in Finland now just because of this story. KUTGW icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Loeffle:

I was in Norway for three weeks - my "Norton Protection Center" was deleting some temp files of my Melfi game while I was saving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This just shows that Norton can't be trusted with your gaming rigs icon_wink.gif

Still a gripping story chesterfan2, hope you can avoid any similar problems. KUTGW icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by axeman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Loeffle:

I was in Norway for three weeks - my "Norton Protection Center" was deleting some temp files of my Melfi game while I was saving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This just shows that Norton can't be trusted with your gaming rigs icon_wink.gif

Still a gripping story chesterfan2, hope you can avoid any similar problems. KUTGW icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, really sad icon_frown.gif If you know some solution let me know?

I have a nice game in Mexico running now icon_wink.gif

I have a nice game in Mexico running now icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My advice is get rid of Norton and use one of the free AV programs. I'm using AVG and have never had any problems whatsoever. Just make a point of getting a decent firewall to help with protecting your system. Outpost and Sygate have good free versions of their firewalls.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by axeman:

I have a nice game in Mexico running now icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My advice is get rid of Norton and use one of the free AV programs. I'm using AVG and have never had any problems whatsoever. Just make a point of getting a decent firewall to help with protecting your system. Outpost and Sygate have good free versions of their firewalls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! I had free AV once, but Im just not such an expert that I can install and calibrate many different programs. I think it should be able to play such a popular game and use Norton at the same time?!?

To be honest, I wouldn't trust Norton any further than I could throw their CDs. It's the single most overrated piece of AV protection, and I use that term loosely, ever made. Anything is better, in my not so humble opinion.

Sorry about the hijack chesterfan2 icon_wink.gif

For a moment there I thought I'd wandered into the OTT by mistake. icon_wink.gif But yeah, Norton is crap. I use a free AV program called AVG. Best thing about it is free automatic updates. Never have had a virus invade my computer while using this program, whereas when I used Norton, all bets were off.

Sorry guys. I really will put down OOTP baseball 2006 soon and get back to the actual story. Honest.

You won't have to fill it for me then with your tales of the inadequacies of Norton, then, will you ?

Hick, OOTP06 is a very in depth game. I, being an Englishman uneducated in the intracies of baseball, am finding it a bit of a challenge at the mo, but it is certainly all in there and the signs are good for long term enjoyment at this stage.

It runs in a window on my machine. At the moment it is a little bit 'buggy' (or actually there is one bug that causes it to randomly crash out), but I believe a patch is due out today or tomorrow (now what game does that sound like ?). I'll probably download the manual whilst I'm there !, might help me eh?

I guess it's very much if you are a basball fan you will get a great deal of enjoyment out of the game.

Hope this helps. will get back to the story soon, but probably not tonight!

A situation like this calls for.....a day off

After the abject display against VG-62 I was a little on the despondant side. Kaija, god bless her, was as rock like as ever and came up with the ideal solution to cheer me up, we'd go out for the afternoon. I should take the day off from football. We didn't have long before our next preseason game, but Gjerdalen could handle training, he'd enjoy that responsibility I thought.

So as my moring shift at Nokia finished I met Kaija in the centre of town. I thought we'd be going for somthing to eat but instead we hopped onto a tram and set off towards the outskirts of the city. I had no idea where we were going but I didn't have long to wait to find out.

Our destination was the Teivo race track for the afternoon's trotting races. This was a sport I had never watched before and I was fascinated by the skill involved by the jockeys in keeping the horses at a trotting pace. A very enjoyable afternoon was further enhanced by a couple of reindeer burgers from the stall at the track and by some large glasses of local beer. A put a little money on the horses but was sensible enough to give up when losing overtook winning. I decided I didn't know enough about the sport to bet my meagre wages on it !

We kept the beer to a minimum and headed back into town for an early evening performance by the Tampere Philharmonic Orchestra at the Tampere Hall. John Storgards was conducting and a fine show it was with some of Sibelius's work being the centrepiece.

After the performance we left to find a bite to eat, and possibly a glass to drink, and as I walked arm in arm with Kaija I realised that I hadn't thought about football all day, and I think that was the point, wasn't it ?

• 4 weeks later...

Loeffle, old buddy, I have, I admit, been spending way to much time playing other things in recent weeks, but I shall doubtless return to this in the full ness of time. The World Cup was supposed to reinspire me, but it hasn't quite managed that for me. You ?

Back to the drawing board

The day off with Kaija had done me the world of good, or at least it felt like that until I stepped into the club office the following afternoon. After all nothing had changed in the previous couple of days and we were still a side that I suspected would look all at sea come the start of the season.

So what should I do ? It didn't take me long to come up with the notion that what I did last season wasn't such a bad idea. I'd organise a bunch more friendlies and then ask each of the coaches to pick what they thought was their best side. Thorw in some cameos from the 'bit part' players and I'd at least have an idea of what we were lacking.

A great idea in theory, now to put it into practice.

Loeffle, old buddy, I have, I admit, been spending way to much time playing other things in recent weeks, but I shall doubtless return to this in the full ness of time. The World Cup was supposed to reinspire me, but it hasn't quite managed that for me. You ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, some games were SO boring, that I started playing again during the WC ... And this game caught so much fire that I opted for FM instead of some quarter finals ...

Managing in Mexico now, and act as Chile's national coach same time. Love the game!

Cheers PM7. Can't promise this is a permenant return to writing but let's give it a go eh ?

And the first test of the theory is..

An away game against non-league giants (if that's not a contridiction in terms) Appollo. I asked Assistant Manager Mikka Nurmi to pick the side tonight and thsi is what he came up with...

DL: Sandberg

DC: Edholm ©

ML: Ollikainen

FC: Saxman

FC: Mikkola

The main surprises in this choice would be Mikkola up front in as much as I personally would have gone for either Badjziak or Goransson ahead of him. The centre back pairing is also an item of interest, but I have got a fair few new centre backs in, might as well try and find a partnership that works.

In the game itself we probably had the better of the opening exchanges, including a string of corners that we didn't make much of, and several other chances that we spurned. Ville Saxman limped off after half an hour to be replaced by teh Pole Badjziak. But it was Appollo, against the run of play , who opendned the scoring. The normally flawless Peltonen failed to deal with ahigh ball into the box, the ball bounced off the post and into the path of the onrushing striker. We did level before half time though with a wonder strike from 25 yards by Rian, a lancing drive right into the top left hand corner. We came in at half time back on the ascendancey but still on level terms with the non-leaguers.

I told the lads they could win this game in the half time break and then told them to go out and do it.

But we didn't manage to do that. we huffed and puffed and made the lions share of chances in the second period but couldn't get the winning goal. I threw on some of the younger players in teh second period, to no positive effect and teh game ended 1-1. Rian in the middle of the park stood out but it was another lacklustre performance.

Final Score: Apollo 1-1 PP-70

Rian can have a spot in the starting line up, now, does anyone else want one ?

Don't force it though. If you feel you just can't get into it again yet, just keep taking a break and one day you'll wake up and think, hey I want to play that game again. I (and probably anyone else here who has written a long term story) have gone through that quite a few times. This is a good story so I hope you don't give up, and people will be more than willing for you to have a rest if it means the quality will be the same when you finally think hey I'm back icon_smile.gif

Another day, another pre-season game

There were going to be alot of games this, like any other, Scandanvian pre-season. It just goes on forever, you know what I mean. Anyway today's game was technically away at the team we share a stadium with, TPV.

It was Topi Priha's turn to pick a side, and he quite clearly had different ideas than Mikka Nurmi about what constitided a good side. Here are the list of names he gave me on the team sheet.

DR: Tornqvist

DL: T.Etelemaki

DC: Raimi

MR: Nymo

ML: Blomster

MC: V.Etelemaki

FC: Panchenko ©

FC: Eranen

Not a single name in common to the last selection, but after the last game maybe that's not such a bad idea. It would be interesting to see Tornqvist at right back and equally fascinating to see Nymo given a run. We were back to old familiar names apart from that, but, hey, it's always nice to be reminded what you have got. Give them a chance I say. Maybe that wouldn't turn out to be the best thought I'd ever have.

The game started out scrappy and it took twenty minutes for any sort of pattern to emerge. In that time the ref handed out yellowcards like confetti, our lot picking up three, quite unneccesary in a friendly I thought. As the half wore on we began to extert some sort of control with Nymo on the right looking dangerous and Blomster on the left looking less adventurous but more efficient.

And it was from a left wing cross from Blomster that we opened the scoring just after the half hour as Eranen picked up the cross on the edge of the box and advanced on the keeper only to see his effort blocked by the TPV netminder. However Panchenko followed up to score from close range. It was 2-0 a couple of minutes later as the TPV defender allowed a long clearnce by Hoiby to bounce over his head, allowing Panchenko in one-on-one with the keeper and the Ukranian made no mistake for his second of the match.

2-0 it stayed until half time, I saw no sense in changing a winning team so I sent them back out with a simple word of encouragement.

That probably wasn't the best thing to have done in retrospect as TPV pulled one back on 54 minutes. But we kept at them and made it 3-1 on 64 as the TPV substitute goalie came way out of his area to control a hopeful long ball out from our defence, made a complete hash of it, lost the ball and then saw Panchenko chipping the ball into an empty net from 35 yards out for his hatrick.

At this point I made a couple of changes, Eranen off, replaced by Genberg and Lehtonen off to be replaced by Timo Valkeapaa. Both the players coming off had been yellow carded, so gave me an excuse to rest them. We went into our shells a bit after that and it was no surprise when we let in a second near the end. We did hang on for a 3-2 win. Panchenko was named man of the match but for me the real star performance was young Matti Makinen at centre back, he was excelelnt in what ended up a frenetic second half.

Final Score: TPV 2-3 PP-70

Maybe the 'old' guys do have a place on this team ? And maybe I was wrong about Panchenko ?

Just one more player please Mr Chairman ?

The board are beginning to fret about the size of the squad but the fact is we are still a bit short of cover in certain areas. Left wing being one, and here we go some way to sorting that out by signing Joakim Jansson a 21 year old Swede with a bright future. This, of course, adds to last week’s capture of fellow left winger Jukka Bjorn, an experienced 29 year old purchased from SalPa

Still, I think we’ll have to sell on some of the ‘fringe’ players and free up some wage budget if we want to sign anyone else.

Sports News with Tampereen Cable Television

Dag Poltermeister(DP) :“Good afternoon everyone and here you join us live in the studio for live coverage of the ‘Friendly Cup’ tournament hosted by PP-70 at the Tammelan Stadion. We have no live action for you just a bunch of past it has-beens looking at TV screens you can’t see . And let’s get straight into the action and the first game up is the hosts PP-70 against the visitors from PK-37, and over to Bob for the commentary

Bob Jobsson (BJ): “Thanks Dag, and yes , Manager Langley has once again rung the changes in the PP-70 dressing room and brought in Goransson and Saxman as strike partners today….And at half time in the big game it’s 1-0 to PP-70, Saxman with the goal, a long range effort on 41 minutes. Earlier on in the half Goransson had one chalked off for offside, a close one that and in general it’s been one way trafficâ€

DP: “Thanks, Bob, Second half action coming up after these messages.â€

BJ: “Langley brought on Eranen for the second half for the limping Saxman, and what a forgettable 45 for PP-70 it was. PK-37 were well up for the game now and PP-70 were lucky at times not to concede an equaliser. The game finished 1-0 but manager Langley must question the wisdom of starting with the ineffectual Goransson up front. Changes will need to be made.â€

DP: “Thanks, Bob. Now some more words, possibly like Potato or Glue.â€

DP: “In the other semi-final PS-44 have defeated VIFK by 2 goals to one. Join us tomorrow for the final.â€

The Final. Of The Friendly Cup.

Final or no, I had a plan going here so Erkki Niemenen, the first team coach, had his go at selecting a side.

DL: T. Etelemaki

MR: Nymo

ML: Bjorn

MC: V. Etelemaki

FC: Mikkola

The selection was certainly interesting, giving Bjorn his first run out in PP-70 colours. Other notable selections were Hoiby in nets (I think everyone knows how highly I rate Peltonen), and the selection of Vesa Etelemaki{/b] and Joni Lehtonen in the middle of midfield (as a pairing seemingly more defensively minded than I would have gone for), along with the pairing up front of Bajdzaiak and Mikkola. The Pole has yet to prove himself and most observers, assistant manager Miikka Nurmi included, see Mikkola as the weakest player in the squad. It will indeed be interesting to see how they cope.

The first half was pretty much all PP-70 and we cantered to a 2-0 half time lead. Both goals being scored by Bajdziak, the first on 24 minutes coming via a header, the pinpoint cross being delivered by the impressive Jukka Bjorn. the second on 35 minutes was following a defensive mix up. Both goals were well taken and no more than we deserved.

At half time I brought Blomster on and took Nymo off, the youngster fitting straight into the right wing role.

The second half went with the pattern of recent games as PS-44 came out fighting and we meekly let them back into the game as they pulled a goal back after 54 minutes, Makinen at fault as a weak defensive header fell invitingly to the onrushing striker. That was as bad as it got for us, however and though we wasted a couple of chances we never looked like conceding again, 2-1 the final score and we lift the PP-70 Friendly Cup.

Positives out of this game would be Bajdziak,Bjorn and Blomster, who did excellently on the right n the second half. Negatives would be the performances of Nymo, Makinen and Mikkola.

Final Score: PP-70 2-1 PS-44

ooooh, we win our own trophy, great news !

And another week of pre-season trails by

For me the picture of who was and who wasn’t going to figure in first team plans this season was beginning to take shape. The poor showing by Makinen in the last game was a concern, but the lad is only young so it wasn’t that much of a worry and we should have adequate cover.

Anyway, into another week of pre-season and another two games on the cards. The first was away to Finnish First Division stalwarts Oulun Luistinseura or OLS as the were better known, to me at least. They are a good side, as good as anyone we faced last year and were a good yardstick of how far we had come, and indeed, how far we still had to go. Goalkeeping coach Bobby Geddes came up with the team sheet, though I did make a couple of alterations in order to see some specific players.

DR: Holmgren

DL: Sandberg

DC: Tornqvist

ML: Jansson

FC: Panchenko

It was, I agreed, one of our stronger looking line ups, at least up front and in the middle of the park. Elsewhere I wanted to see Tornqvist try a defensive role, I know how good he is at full back, but which is his best position ?. Rian and Carlsson were figured to be my starting pair in the middle of midfield so it would be intersteing to see how they gelled and similarly Bajdziak and Panchenko were two of my best strikers, so how would they play together ?

OLS started the game brightly and had a couple of off target shots in the opening minutes. Bajdzaik had a speculative effort well saved on 7 minutes and it was the way the game was beginning to go when we took the lead on 13. Sandberg took the ball out of defence, played a ball over the static OLS centre half and into the path of Panchenko. The Ukrainian took the ball into the box, drew the keeper and then passed the ball across the face of the goal for Bajdziak to slot the ball into the empty net. A classy goal all round. 1-0. On 20 minutes we made it two after Rian was fouled on the edge of the box. Kotilahti took the free kick, curling it over the wall and placing it into the top corner with astounding accuracy. On 39 minutes Jesper Tornqvist allowed himself to be caught out of position by a long clearance from the OLS keeper and the Division One club’s striker made no mistake, unchallenged, from 12 yards out. 2-1.

2-1 was the half time score. I encouraged the lads and replaced the, quite frankly, poor Jesper Tornqvist with Oskar Edholm.

The defensive reorganisation didn’t help us however as OLS equalised in the second minute of the half, their forward capitalising on a gaping gap between the two centre halves. 2-2. on 70 minutes Panchenko picked up a knock and I replaced him, and a rapidly tiring Bajdziak with Genberg and Goransson. We put on some pressure as the game drew to a close, but never came close to threatening a winner, and the game ended all square.

Final Score OLS 2- 2 PP-70

I guess we know where to play Torqnvist then ?

cheers, Xenon, nice to know it still entertains.

Mikka Nurmi States the Bl**din' Obvious

The following day, after training, I asked my assistant manager, Mikka Nurmi for a chat and a glass of Irun-Bru. I asked him for his views of the preseason so far.

Tristan Langley (TL) : "So, Mikka, what are your views of the pre-season so far ?"

Mikka Nurmi (MN) : "Well, boss, I like {b]Bajdziak[/b] and Panchenko for the front pairing, but we haven't really got any depth behind them. Genberg looks much better on the left wing, and frankly, a bit lightweight for a striker. Goransson has disapointed me greatly, I expected more from him this year. Beyond that we have Saxman and Eranen, both good players, but is that enough cover ?"

TL : "A fair point, anything else ?"

MN : "You need to settle on a defensive pairing pretty quickly if you are going to put Makinen in the side. The lad has bags of talent but he needs to get used to playing with someone, preferably before the season starts."

TL : "Right."

MN : "Other than that I think we have a good set of players to work with, alot of quality in midfield, and at last some competition for the left wing spot, Ollikainen will struggle to hold down that spot in the face of the competition he has up against him. Defensively we have strength in depth too, it's just up front I'm a little worried about."

TL : "Thanks for that, Mikka, some interesting views, I shall be sure to act upon them."

MN : "No worries boss, and thanks for the drink, whatever it was.

Heathen !

More Friendlies

The following weeks saw more friendlies, all of which were intended to teach me something, but to be honest began to run into one another in my thoughts.

Here, in the first of these friendlies, I tried some combinations of players I’d like to see. Makinen and Nielsen in the centre of defence and Vesa Etelamaki and Timo Valkeapaa in the midfield engine room. The game itself, against a better quality non-league side in KalK was a one-sided affair which we should have won by more than the two goals we did, both scored by Kalle Genberg doing what I said he couldn’t do and scoring goals as a bustling centre-forward.

Final Score: PP-70 2-0 KalK

In the days following the match a couple of mildly interesting things happened. Transfer listed Pasi Lahti was absent from training so I handed him an official warning, and recirculated his details to other clubs, and the other was the Haugesund of Norway offered a deal worth £7,000 plus a 20% sell on clause for our second keeper Michael Hoiby. The lad is a quality keeper but is patently unhappy at being in the queue behind Antti Peltonen and as such I decided to accept the offer, the kid deserves a chance elsewhere.

Next up came a 3-3 draw with non-league non-entities KP-75. Hoiby, in nets, let in three goals from 4 shots on target, maybe it’s just as well he’s going. Raimi did well at left back, the first player to impress me at that position so far this year, and Genberg scored another two goals and it really does look like I was wrong about that boy.

Final Score KP-75 3-3 PP-70

Following the game Michael Hoiby confirmed that he had accepted the offer on the table and would be leaving us. Time to look for a reserve keeper. Also, hopefully, moving on is Pasi Lahti who has been offered a way out by non-league MuSa

The next game was a bit of a nothing match against BK-46 another team of non-leaguers. We went with a team of players who were at the time less likely to feature on a regular basis. No one stood out in a positive way, Goransson was poor again up front, Sanberg was bad at left back and the wingers, Blomster and Ollikainen also disappointed. Eranen reminded us he was on the squad with a well taken goal and Peltonen made an absolute howler to allow the part-timers an equaliser. As a game it taught me nothing new, really, other than maybe my confidence in Peltonen was misplaced.

Final Score PP-70 1-1 BK-46

We closed out this phase of the pre-season with an away game at non-league non-entities EuPa. More trying out of pairings and chances for fringe players. Sergiy Panchenko enhanced his chances by scoring both goals in the 2-1 win, and Oskar Edholm diminished his by scoring an own goal. At least we got a win away from the Tammelan, not something we’ve done too often so far.

Final Score EuPa 1-2 PP-70

This concluded a phase of the pre-season, here we had mainly played non-league clubs, now I planned to up the pace with games against our former Division 1 opponents.

• 1 month later...

A moment of quiet reflection

I'd taken training that afternoon but the players looked about as interested as I felt. We all wanted the season to start but it was, hideously enough, still a month or more away. The step up in opposition class in the next match should help but right at that moment continuing training looked alot like flogging a dead horse.

Once we had finished the run that was ususally the first item on the training schedule, a nice way to warm up and get a bit of banter going I always find, I told the lads that we were going to pack it up for today and they could have the rest of the day off. They didn't need to be told twice.

I phoned Kaija and arranged to meet her in the evening at Wistub Alsace in the heart of beautiful downtown Tampere at the Laukontori Harbour. The Wistub Alsace is the only Alsatian (no Finnish food related jokes here - please (Ed)) restaurant in Finland and comes highly recommended.

In the meantime I headed for Plevna, my favourite spot for beer in the city, have I told you they brew their own ? Whilst there I had a relaxing wheat beer or six and a very informative chat with a man in the bar, who told me that we were still a little light in midfield and we lacked firepower up front.

I thanked the man for his forthright views and promised to take them on board, they pretty much dovetailed with what I remembered thinking anout the team anyway. And with that I wended my merry way to Alsace.

I was late, and pretty much the worse for wear by the time I met Kaija. We ate in silence and, looking peturbed rather than angry, she left early. Not the evening I had planned, really.

The final countdown – Games against some old ‘enemies’ Part One

We were into the final phase of the pre-season, and not a moment too soon for me. The sooner I could get back into the swing of things with a new season to go at the better. I was getting frustrated with the length of the pre-season here in Finland and it was no surprise that my relationship with Kaija was showing some signs of strain. The drunken incident of the previous evening apart there was nothing to worry about at the moment but I think we both knew that the sooner the season proper got round to be here the better.

To that end I was concluding the pre-season programme with some games against the Division One teams that we faced last season. A chance to finalise the lineup for the first game proper and a chance for some players to stake a late claim to a starting spot. But first up was another new signing. Jonathon Ferm a young, 21 year old, keeper from Sweden, an able back up to Antti Peltonen. The youngster went straight into the team for the first of the friendly games, at home to Koo Tee Pee. Holmgren and Sanberg started at the full back slots, Nielsen partnered Makinen at the back, Genberg started on the left with Badjziak and Panchenko up front. As for the game itself we opened up very brightly and were two up within twenty minutes, Panchenko with both goals, assists from Lehtonen and Badjziak. Ferm gave away a goal on the half time whistle and we went in 2-1 up, a lot closer sounding than it was in reality.

Badjziak came off at the half time interval with a minor knock, Bjorn came on, with Genberg moving into the front line to complete the switch. The second half was a fairly quiet affair with Panchenko completing his hatrick on 64 after another goalkeeping blunder. Ferm picked up a knock and was replaced by Peltonen, Nielsen disappointed and Valkeapaawas given a brief go.

Final Score PP-70 3-1 Koo Tee Pee

Encouragement galore here.

The injury worries were minor, Ferm would miss the next game but apart from that no worries. The next game was the tougher proposition of AC Oulu, away. Valkeapaa came in for Nielsen, Rian had a go in place of an unlucky Carlsson, Holmgren kept his right back spot and Genberg got the nod up front, Bjorn filling in on the left as Badjzaik was given a precautionary rest. We played very brightly in the first half and but for some wayward finishing would have been ahead. As it was we were 0-0 at half time. Valkeapaa came off at half time with Oscar Edholm getting another chance. Once again things didn’t go as he would have wanted as Oulu scored against the run of play on 67 minutes. We had the ball in the net on 80, but Panchenko had his effort chalked off for offside, and we slid to defeat.

Final Score AC Oulu 1-0 PP-70

Not so good in purely result orientated terms

I wasn’t too fussed about the defeat, we had again played very well and should have got more out of the game. It did make things a little clearer in my head when it came to my best starting 11 though.

Later on that week and more transfer activity. Lasse Vornanen was on his way to local boys S-Ilves. One of my earliest signings he hadn’t ever amounted to what I thought I’d seen in him and so could go on his way without much thought or regret. Also at this time I sent out the scouts again, never too late to add one or two more.

For the next game against MP I made a few changes. Dahm had a turn at right back, I played Vesa Etelemaki and Chris Carlsson in midfield, Joachim Jansson on the left wing. Up front Panchenko was feeling a bit under the weather so had the day off with Genberg and Badjziak taking the starting spots. The rest were as you might expect with Makinen and Timo Valkeapaa getting another start together in the centre of defence.

As is par for the course in these games we started brightly with both Genberg and Kotilahti missing good early opportunities. But we took a lead on 21 minutes that our level of play to that point had more than warranted. Good work overlapping down the left by Badjziak led to a cross from the Polish striker with Kalle Genberg meeting it on the volley in the middle for a well taken goal.

MP came back at us after that and played some good football and suffered some bad finishing. We came up with a second goal on 37, Kotilahti setting Badjziak free down the right this time and he crossed for an unmarked Genberg to sweep it into the net. That’s how it was at half time, 2-0 to us.

No need to change anything at half time I thought. Jansson on the left had disappointed a bit, but I thought I’d give him another go. A good move as it happened as Jansson scored with a 47th minute penalty, given after a rampaging Piotr Badjziak was agriculturally hacked down in the MP area. Three became four minutes later as Badjziak latched onto a long clearance from Peltonen, outpaced the defence and scored a well earned goal.

4-0 was how it stayed as we took our foot off the pedal a little bit. Badjziak was named man of the match but there wee also good performances by Jansson, who redeemed himself in the second period and by Makinen and Sandberg in the back four.

Final Score MP 0-4 PP-70

Getting close to my best line up here, I think

Still a while to go before the season proper, but at last we seem to be getting into good shape.

Nice to hear from you Loeffle, a new story on the way, hopefully ?

The final countdown – Part Two

There was a gap of 9 days between the game against MP and the next one, a chance for the lads to concentrate on some physical work. A good plan I thought.

The next game was again against former rivals of ours VPS. I went with almost exactly the same side as the last match, only two changes. Timo Etelemaki into the centre of defence in place of the other Timo, Timo Valkeapaa. the other change was to give Linus Blomster a try on the left wing ahead of Jansson, both dropped players might consider themselves unfortunate, but I’d rather experiment now than two weeks into the season.

VPS had a plan and came out at us hard and fast, they were a goal up after 9 minutes, with the their third clear cut chance of the game. They couldn’t keep that pace up thought and we were soon back in control of the game, creating, and missing chances. The most notable thing here was the apparent inability of Badjziak and Genberg to work as strike partners. Both were guilty of shooting when passing to the other across the face of goal would have been a better plan, something would have to be done at half time. We did get an equaliser before the break an own goal, following pressure by Badjziak and before that good work by Blomster and Carlsson.

1-1 at half time then and I made the easy decision to bring Panchencko on and made the hard decision to take Badjziak off. I also asked for more in the way of attacking play from them this period. We did manage to get more efforts in on goal this half, Genberg was still guilty of wasting good chances by shooting too early but he did redeem himself by scoring the only goal of the half, a well taken effort on 72 minutes as he broke free from his marker to sweep home a Kotilahti cross on the run. Of the two ‘trialists’ Etelemaki was rock like in defence and very impressive whilst Blomster did o.k. but didn’t stand out.

Final Score PP-70 2-1 VPS

Only one more spot to settle on ?

In the draw for the 4th round of the Finnish Cup we are drawn away at non-league opposition, in the shape of OuJK. And in a personnel move we agreed a mutual parting of the ways with the Latvian trouble maker Andrejs Arjais. good riddance to him too.

The next game of the schedule wasn’t against First Division opposition it was against a true bunch of non-leaguerers in the shape of the City Stars. I put out the first team again, Etelemaki keeping his place but Jansson reclaiming his on the left wing.

The game was supposed to be a warm up for the challenge of the Finnish Cup which, as I expected, had thrown us up against a non-league team much like City Stars, trouble was we played it from memory as Big Ron might say. Two haves of absolutely, mind-numbingly dull footy and a final 0-0 scoreline to match. Dismal.

Final Score : PP-70 0-0 City Stars

Not going to plan any more is it.

The last game of the pre-season was against our old adversaries at Rakuunat, our 4-3 victory over them at the tail end of last season had been the turning point on our drive into the Premier Division, so I had fond memories of playing these lads. Three changes from the last lineup, probably significant given the lateness of the pre-season process, but not terminal for any of the dropped at this time. Holmgren in for Dahm at right back, Jansson in for Bjorn on the left wing and Panchenko up front alongside Badjziak ahead of Genberg, the spotlight would be on that change in particular.

We started the game the stronger and it was no surprise when we took the lead on 16 with an excellently crafted goal, Jansson spraying a 40 yard cross field ball to Kotilahti, who took it down just inside the box, on the angle, and fired it home from 15 yards out. The lead lasted 10 minutes as Rakuunat predictably fought back, missing one glorious chance before grabbing the equalising goal after a sweet period of interpassing had opened up our defence. In our turn we came back at them, scoring a second only three minutes later, Panchenko racing onto a long clearance, and, outpacing the defence, slotted the ball past the oncoming keeper as he strode into the box. We traded chances after that, but both keepers looked in fine shape and it stayed 2-1 to us at the break.

The second half was 45 minutes of good, impassioned, committed football, just without any goals. We had one, a second for Kotilahti chalked off for offside (and I didn’t think that was right), but that was as close as it got for either team, and we finished the pre-season with a 2-1 win. Of the players who had come in, unfortunately none of them stood out in either a good way or a bad way. Obviously Jansson and Panchenko were involved in the goals, and that does them so good, I suppose, but Holmgren looked all at sea a couple of times in what was otherwise a steady performance. It looks like these questions will go onto the next match, the Cup game.

Final Score: Rakuunat 1-2 PP-70

The question mark still hangs over the right back position

Archived