I need to PP ! PP-70 that is.

chesterfan2

Thursday July 1st 2005

I sat in the sunshine in the beer garden of The Kingfisher public house slowly savouring my pint of Lees Bitter (Yes, I know, very much an acquired taste but one I have, sadly, acquired) and as I sat I pondered the situation I was in. In a word I was unemployed. Not that it was any surprise that I'd lost my job the previous February. Football teams that fall from 4th place to 17th in League 2, culminating in a run of six defeats tend to lose their managers, and that was what had happened to me.

For a football manager is what I am. Unemployed at the time I grant you, but that's what I do. I had, as I say, been manager of Chester. Manager there for three seasons of midtable mediocrity and then just as we looked like we were getting somewhere and the wheels came off. Our star forward broke his leg and the whole season went to pieces. The rest is, as they say, history.

Anyway there I was, contemplating my pint and my future when the phone rang. Obviously July is a time when clubs fill staff vacancies and I was eternally hopeful of a getting a call. Mansfield and Southend both needed managers, as did Forest Green in the conference. Rochdale needed a new First team coach and I wasn't being naive enough to think I could turn even a coach's job down. So, the phone rang and I briefly wondered which one of these opportunities was about to present itself to me.

The answer was...... none of them. A distinctintly Scandanavian voice spoke. "Mr Langley ?, Ahh good. My name is Pentti Kainulainen, and I am the chairman of Tampereen Peli-Pojat 70, or PP-70 as we are more commonly known. We are a team in the Finnish First division and we need a manager, and I hear you are looking for work. may I interest you in a job ? "

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thursday July 1st 2005

I sat in the sunshine in the beer garden of The Kingfisher public house slowly savouring my pint of Lees Bitter (Yes, I know, very much an acquired taste but one I have, sadly, acquired) and as I sat I pondered the situation I was in. In a word I was unemployed. Not that it was any surprise that I'd lost my job the previous February. Football teams that fall from 4th place to 17th in League 2, culminating in a run of six defeats tend to lose their managers, and that was what had happened to me.

For a football manager is what I am. Unemployed at the time I grant you, but that's what I do. I had, as I say, been manager of Chester. Manager there for three seasons of midtable mediocrity and then just as we looked like we were getting somewhere and the wheels came off. Our star forward broke his leg and the whole season went to pieces. The rest is, as they say, history.

Anyway there I was, contemplating my pint and my future when the phone rang. Obviously July is a time when clubs fill staff vacancies and I was eternally hopeful of a getting a call. Mansfield and Southend both needed managers, as did Forest Green in the conference. Rochdale needed a new First team coach and I wasn't being naive enough to think I could turn even a coach's job down. So, the phone rang and I briefly wondered which one of these opportunities was about to present itself to me.

The answer was...... none of them. A distinctintly Scandanavian voice spoke. "Mr Langley ?, Ahh good. My name is Pentti Kainulainen, and I am the chairman of Tampereen Peli-Pojat 70, or PP-70 as we are more commonly known. We are a team in the Finnish First division and we need a manager, and I hear you are looking for work. may I interest you in a job ? "

The conversation

Pentti Kainulainen: "Mr Langley ?, Ahh good. My name is Pentti Kainulainen, and I am the chairman of Tampereen Peli-Pojat 70, or PP-70 as we are more commonly known. We are a team in the Finnish First division and we need a manager, and I hear you are looking for work. may I interest you in a job ?

Tristan Langley (that's me): "You have my attention Mr Kainulainen, tell me about the club."

I wasn't about to turn anything down out of hand. Granted it didn't sound too promising but you never know.

Pentti Kainulainen (PK): "Call me Pentti, We lie in 12th place in the division. I don't know if you know Finnish football but this is a place above automatic relegation and is one of the places for a relegation play off. The season is eleven games old, and lasts for 26 games. I can offer you a small budget for players."

Tristan Langley (TL): "It's going to be a tough job learning enough about the players in order to make a difference in the time available, and besides my Finnish language skills are not really up to scratch."

PK: "Don't worry about the language, the players will understand you, and yes I realise it is a tall order, but I only need to look at how you turned Chester around last season to know that you can do it. "

And here the bombshell hit.

PK: "And I can offer you a wage of £100 a week"

Now I've nothing against managing abroard but I had hoped for more than that. Even if I'd taken the vacancy at Lancaster City in the Conference North I would have got more than that. but the point was I hadn't taken that chance and now this was all that was on the table for me. So I said...

TL: "Give me 24 hours to think on it Pentti."

PK: "O.K. Mr Langley, 24 hours, we have a game on Sunday. I hope you can make it."

One hundred pounds a week was hardly going to keep me in the lifestyle to which I was accustomed, but it was better than nothing. I fervently hoped that something else would turn up in those hours, but nothing did, and so exactly one day later, I phoned the chairman back.

TL: "Mr Kainulainen, you have yourself a deal. Unfortunately I can't get a flight until tomorrow, so have the Assistant manager prepare the team and I'll try and make the game on time."

PK: "That's good news Mr Langley, I'll see you tomorrow."

The Author's note

BTW I know that 1st July should be a Friday. I'll catch up somewhere.

A Finnish game is something suggested to me by that nice llama program. Anyway it's FM2006, running patch 6.01 on an Athlon 2.4XP with 1MB of memory. Am running most Scandanavian leagues (but not Denmark) and England and Scotland.

I hope you enjoy

Welcome to Tampere

I wouldn't be the first, and I sure as hell wasn't going to be the last, but here I was, 3rd July 2005, a failed English football manager, touching down at Helsinki international airport, looking to resurect my career. I, Tristan Langley, football manager, a failure in my own country had come to Finland to start again. Over the years a number of Englishmen have come here to try and make a name for themselves here, and I thought I might as well come and try my luck too. Of course all failure is relative, I'd not done that badly in my time in England, but the chairman's ambition had outstripped my ability to fulfill it and there I was out of a job. Out of a job and with nobody interested in taking me on. Not anyone, not for months. So in desperation, I'd come here. So here I was, travelling up country, to Tampere, Finland's third largest city, where I was to take over as manager of Tampereen Peli-Pojat-70 or as they were better known PP70.PP70 are Tampere's 'second' club, they are a semi-professional club with a 5040 seat stadium, the Tammelan Stadium. The city's 'first' club is Tampere Utd of the Premier Division, Tampere itself is an industrial city about 2 hours north of Helsinki and is known in the guidebooks as 'the Manchester of Finland', surely not. The board haven't got very high expectations and are looking at mid-table respectability. Given that we are a third into the season and lie 12th in 14 team league it seems like a tall order.

I already had a established backroom staff, not one that would need much in the way of additions by the look of it. My assistant manager was Miikka Nurmi, who's also on the books as a centre forward. He's good motivator, as every assistant should be, he's also my interpreter for all the lads who can't speak English (not that there's many of them here.). I have two coaches Erkki Niemenen and Topi Priha, Erkki is the goalkeeping coach and is also very good with the youngsters, whilst Topi is a respected former player who'll take the outfield players training sessions.Jani Helin is the physio, and not a very good one at that. The only scout I have is Juha Lund. He's an excellent talent spotter so I already have him out looking for young players. I may need another scout, we'll see.

The board had given me £14,000 as a transfer budget (I still deal in pounds, apologies for that) but I looked to have the basis of an average squad. Quite well balanced, a little light at right back, perhaps, but apart from that nothing to worry about, as long as we stick to 4-4-2 that is !

By the time I had arrived the team was all set to play it's league game againt OLS as Oulun Luistinsuera are better know. Miika Nurmi had picked the team and I saw an evenly fought contest which I thought we had just about the best of. It finished 1-1 with out goal coming from centre back Matti Kuusi, one of the better players in the squad. 431 people saw this one and as a result of the draw we slipped down into one of the relegation spots in 13th place.

Lots of work to do indeed.

Interview with Local TV

Hanna Ripatti (Local TV reporter) : "So, Mr Langley, an entertaining game, did you learn much about your new team tonight ?"

Tristan Langley (That's me): "Well, Hanna, it ceratinly has been a most encouraging start, there's obviously something I can work with here, and going forward we seem to have some very exciting options."

Hanna Ripatti: "Indeed, Jarno Eranen for example, looked very lively tonight, surely you can't hope to hold onto such a talent ?"

Tristan Langley: "I hope we can. It's true the boy has a big future, but for the moment, at least, it's probably best that he nurtures it here."

Hanna Ripatti: "Did anyone else stand out for you tonight ?"

Tristan Langley : "I thought that Jaakko Pasanen at left back and of course the goalscorer Matti Kuusi, were both excellent this evening, but on the whole I was pleased with the attitude of all the players this evening."

Hanna Ripatti: "A good peformance going forward , for sure, but were you happy with your defence tonight ?"

Tristan Langley: "As a manager, I'd prefer to see no goals against, but, you have to remember that it's even more improtant to win the game.

Hanna Ripatti: "Finally, Mr Langley, How are the players adjusting to an English manager ? Is it a problem for them, or you, to adjust ?"

Tristan Langley: "I can assure the viewers that, thanks to the excellent Finnish education system, none of the lads have any problems understanding what I say. English managers have traditionally done o.k. in this country so I think the players are willing to give me a go. I've told them, as I'll tell you now, I think that PP70 are capable of acheiving safety this season, and with a bit of hard work we can make that happen."

Hanna Ripatti: "Confident words indeed from Tristan Langley, new manger of PP70, after his first game in charge, a 1-1 draw with OLS. That's all from me, back to the studio."

and so, to business

At least I had a full week until my first game in charge, a bit of time to try and understand what are our strengths, and more importantly where the weaknesses lie. I took a long training session that first Monday morning and spent the afternoon pouring over whatever videos of the lads in action I could find, even old press reports. I was there until late that night, and the same for most of the rest of the week, in fact it was quite a while before I even got to see anything of the city to which I had just moved.

Whoever called Tampere the 'Manchester of Finland' must have taken into account even the regeneration of both cities for whilst Tampere certainly has an industrial heritage to be proud of it has now developped into a bustling commercail centre, much like the 'Manchester of England'. However the English Manchester can't boast the setting that Tampere has. Essentially it sits on an 'island' between lakes in the midst of Finland's beautiful Lakeland.

Nevertheless, and as I say, it did take me a while to notice all of this.

The squad - a copy of the notes I took that first Monday, July 4th

Part 1 - Keepers and defenders

Keepers

Two keepers at the club, 1. Pasi Laine is 25 and has been at the club 5 years. He's a good communicator but is weak coming out. Also at the club is 52.Antti Peltonen He is 21 and was a new arrival this season from Premier Division side FF Jaro. He commands the area well and is good in the air, but once again is weak when it comes to rushing out. He's the more agile of the two keepers and as such probably makes for the better first team keeper.

Defenders

4. Janne Hannula is a full back, happy on either side of the pitch, 23 years old and at teh club for three years. previously had been first choice but this season hasn't been in teh first team. 20. Jaakko Pasanen is another full back who can play left or right, and in this case is even quite comfortable in a more advanced position. Clearly one of the most talented players at the club this 26 year old has made the right back spot his own this year. New to the club he was a regular in the KuPS side that won the Fist Divison last year. 3. Timo Etelamaki is a 26 year old who can play centre back or left back. In his fourth year at the club, and has been a regular all that time. Is first choice left back this season. 5. Matti Kuusi 27 year old central defender in his fourth year at the club where he has been in the first team for all that time. One of the more dependable performeres at the club. 16. Markku Viitanen a 21 year old product of the Tampere Utd youth system this is his second year at the club. A centre back, and a good back up. 6. Aki Iso-Pietila is a right full back/wing back/winger and is 21 years old and is in his second year at PP-70. 2. Timo Valkeapaa is a versatile player who can play central defence or central midfield. Returning this year for a second spell at the club this 28 year old is now a regular in the first team, usually at centre back. and finally 12. Jarkko Riihimaki a left back who can push up this 21 year old is on the verge of breaking into the team on a regular basis.

The squad - a copy of the notes I took that first Monday, July 4th

Part 2 Midfielders and Forwards

Midfielders

10. Vesa Etelamaki is 24 years old and defensive midfielder with four years service at the club. He's good all-round and is a regular fixture in the first team. 18. Tommi Rajamaki a left sided midfielder, 22, with two years experience, both here at PP-70, is a flair player that hasn't yet broken into the side on a regular basis. 8. Joni Lehtonen is a 31 year old central midfielder who is a very influential player. Will feature quite extensively in first team action. 13. Juuso Ollikainen is a winger who can play on either side. 23 years old this is a very promising player who may be ready for first team action in what is his second season here. 14. Jussi Kotilahti is an attacking midfielder through right and centre, 24 years old and the product of the Tampere Utd youth setup. The best penalty taker and one of the better players at the club. 7. Juha-Pekka Torvinen a 22 year old right winger and product of the PP-70 youth team. He tends to be a backup to 15. Jaakko Laitinen who is another 22 year old right wing product of the youth system. Jaakko is a bit more imbued with footballing talent and hence tends to get the nod on the right. and finally 11. Samuli Laitila a 27 year old attacking midfielder on the left or centre, is a very experienced player who sees regular first team action.

Forwards

9. Jarno Eranen is the club's star striker and is already the leading goalscorer. This is his frist year at PP-70 having been an arrival from local non-league football. And last but not least 21. Samu Ruisniemi is the only other striker at the club and is only 20 years old and in his first season at the club. Given the run that he has been having in the side has only added to his confidence and though I will need to strengthen this area he still stands a good chance of retaining his spot.

It wasn't until I looked at the side on paper that I realised just how thin the squad is spread, especially up front. We need new players in, and to meet that need I took two steps in the couple of days that followed my managerial takeover.

The first was to sign my old friend Julian Carrera as a scout. I employ Julian to look for local talent whilst I set my other scoutJuha Lund to look out for the next opposition.

The second was to sign experienced striker 24. Miikka Nurmi, 37, as a Player/Assistnat Manager. More as backup for the first team than anything though his coaching qualifications will come in handy.

Pre-match nerves. An interview with Dag Hammerfest of Aamulehti

For those very few of you who don't know Aamulehti is the local paper in Tampere

In a continuing effort to smooth my path with the PP-70 supporter's I gave an interview to the local paper's PP-70 reporter Dag Hammerfest. Dag pretty obviously has ambitions to move on to being the Tampere Utd reporter but at the moment he's stuck on the 'lesser' sports beat.

Dag Hammerfest (DH): "So Tristan Langley, how are you settling in at PP-70 in this, your first week in charge ?"

Tristan Langley (TL): Actually Dag, I'm settling in very well. I was quite pleased with what I saw in last weekend's game and I'm looking to build on that. Number one priority is getting the lads to believe they can get the team to safety.

DH: "A big game tomorrow against VG-62, a difficult game to start with, are you planning any tactical changes for last week's team ?

TL: "Actually, no. I don't think my time is going to be best spent by trying to teach the lads a new way of playing. Instead we'll be looking to play the way we always have, only better.

DH: "Bold words indeed. But will the Englishamn be able to pull it off ? This reporter for one belives that VG-62 represent a mountain that's just a bit too big for a first challenge. This is Dag Hammerfest's weekly PP-70 report.

Sunday 10th July 2005. My first game in charge, or as it later became known 'The Little Miracle'

The day of my frst game in charge had come round. It was away against VG-62, who were lying third in the table at the time. As I mentioned to Dag Hammerfest I sent the boys out in their usual 4-4-2 formation, with an emphasis on defence and moving the ball quickly on the counter attack.

It was no suprise when VG-62 started the brighter of the two teams but they were let down by wayward finishing as opposed to anything else. Indeed it was very much against the run of play when we scored on 37 minutes Eranen getting the goal. That was, indeed the half time score. And it got worse for VG-62 within a minute of the restart as Lehtonen curled home a free kick from the edge of the box for 2-0. And try as they might VG-62 could not get back into it. Peltonen in goal was a giant and the defence held firm. We made it 3-0 on 84 minutes, a well taken goal by Pasanen and thogh VG-62 got one back in injury time the final scoreline still made excellent reading. We'd been outplayed for large portions of the game, had only 5 shots on target compared to our opponent's 11, but the final score went our way and that was what mattered.

Final Score: VG-62 1-3 PP-70

League position: 11th

If you can't be good be lucky

Dag Hammerfest's PP-70 report in Aamulehti

Monday 11th July 2005

Despite having the lion's share of possession and the greater number of chances VG-62 managed to throw away the game at home to PP-70 yesterday. The PP-70 boys were quite simply better at taking their chances and ran out a comfortable looking 3-1 win. But the win was nothing but comfortable with Peltonen in the PP-70 goal outstanding, with teh defence working overtime on front of him. It's been said often enough before but it bears repeating here "If you can't be good be lucky". Tristan Langley was certainly fortunate to get the luck of the bounce in this one and commence his career as PP-70 manager with a win. Time will tell and the visit of high flying Honka midweek may well prove just how lucky Mr. Langley is.

Players coming in and a match

Hard work on the phones during the week identified some players I could sign to strengthen the squad. Thursday morning saw the arrival of two players 23. Nic Haggbom a 24 year old left back and 27 year old 19. Harri Mikkola, a striker both arrived on free transfers. Nic had been out of football for a couple of years despite having a promising start to his career at premier Division MIFK. Harri had had a season at local non-leaguers TPV but was well known to the staff here having spent the season before that on PP-70's books. Given his good reviews he went straight into the team for that night's game.

The following day was to see the arrival of two more players 26. Hannu Pernu a 26 year old right back and 27. Ari Kuusela a 27 year old midfielder. However that was to come after the game against Honka, one of the stronger teams in the division.

Another away match and another good peformance. We came out flying and debutant Harri Mikkola scored after only 39 seconds following a flowing move. The game played out quite evenly after that with the chances that were there split evenly between the two sides. Honka scored an equaliser on 73 minutes with a header from a corner and tehrfater the game fizzled out as both sides, quite surprisingly in Honka's case seemed to settle for a draw, which is how it finished.

Final Score Honka 1:1 PP-70

League position : Reaminining at 11th

So, that was my first match out of the way and I now found the time to go out and have a look at my new surroundings.

I believe I have told you that Tampere is Finland's third largest city, with a population of around 200,000 in within the City Limits. Tampere also happens to be the largest inland centre in all of Scandanvia and is noted as being the most desirable city to move to amongst those Finns who are thinking of moving.

Tampere’s city centre is surrounded by lake and ridge scenery, sited on an isthmus between lakes Pyhäjärvi and Näsijärvi. The Tammerkoski rapids run through the city. There are numerous nature reserves in Tampere. Pyynikki and Viikinsaari near the city centre are the best known of them whilst Parks and green areas amount to 2,400 hectares, approximately 100 square metres per inhabitant. The city also has four allotment areas. The Hatanpää allotment, established in 1916, was among the first in Finland.

As I walked through the park I came to the realisation that I had ended up in a very nice place indeed. And as I walked through the cities parks and alongside the lakes my thoughts turned to my new team. Four points from two games in charge is a good return but we remain in 11th spot, a relegation play off spot. It looked like just the beginning of a long and hard road to safety, nevertheless one I was beginning to think we should be able to manage.

Sihvonen signs in at PP-70 ?

Aamulehti - 16 Jul 2005

There are very strong reports that PP-70 manager Tristan Langley is set to add another player to the ever growing band of part-timers at the Tammelan Stadion. Ville Sihvonen at 31 is an experienced player who can operate in defence or midfield in the centre or on the right and is quite possibly happiest as a defensive midfielder. Langley is thought to be impressed by the sheer range of positions where Sihvonen is naturally comfortable and by his combination of both agression and flair. Sivhonen after starting at FC Honka has travelled extensivly in the lower reaches of Finnish football and must be relishing the chance to resurrect his career even at this late stage. He's expected to sign in time for tomorrow's home game with MP but I'd expect Langley to stick with the side that complete the game against Honka midweek.

Dag Hammerefest

Another Home win

Sunday 17th July and we turn over nid-table MP at home. 3-0 was the final score but in truth it was an evenly fought game with both sides having a similar number of chances it just that we were much better at taking ours with a goal from Harri Mikkola in each half topped off with a third from Juuso Ollikainen. In fact Ollikainen was later named man of the match, though Peltonen in nets ran him very close.

Final Score PP70 3-0 MP

Despite the win we stay in 11th spot as teams around us also do well

Two more free transfers

In the following week another two players joined our happy band. 20th July saw the arrival of 28. Kalle Hamalainen a 27 year old forward. More of a backup player really this lad had had 4 seasons at Helsinki strugglers Gnistan but had never made the team. I like him for his pace and above average finishing for this level. The following day saw 22. Tero Karhu arrive. A young (23) Attacking midfielder with good technique, Tero was bought in from non-league GBK on the say so of scout Julian Carrera we'll see how he does.

A creditable Away draw for PP-70

Aamulehti 24th July 2005

VPS 1-1 PP-70

A fine summer's evening here at Vaasa saw high flying VPS held to a 1-1 draw by battling PP-70. In truth the strugglers from Tampere will feel slightly aggreived at this result having had by far the best of the play, creating many more chances than their illustrious opponents. However Tristan Langley's men had to come from a goal down as VPS scored shortly after the restart with their only on target effort of the whole game. And despite near constant pressure PP-70 only drew level with a 72nd minute spot kick, converted by Kotilahti after the lively Mikkola had been hauled back on the point of scoring, the VPS skipper Hietaharju seeing red for the misdemeanor. VPS slip to second after this game as PP-70 stay in 11th spot. As good as this run's been it's not yet been good enough to get them out of the relegation play off spots. it'll be interesting to see how the team cope at home to new league leaders FC Hameenlinna next weekend.

Dag Hammerfest[/i}

We'll quietly skate over this one

The following Sunday, July 31st saw the visit of league leading FC Hameenlinna. This was a team bang in form and we struggled from start to finish. We went in at half time two goals down and down to ten men after Kuusela was given his marching orders for his second yellow of the game. And though we got a goal back mid way through the second period, scored by Eranen we were never really in it and FC Hameenlinna won at a canter. To make matters worse we suffered injries to Etelamaki (a week out with a stubbed toe) and Kotilahti( also a week out, this time with a bruised head). there was obviously still lots of work to do.

Final Score PP-70 1-2 FC Hameenlinna

The only silver lining was we stayed in 11th spot despite the defeat

We'll quietly skate over this one

The following Sunday, July 31st saw the visit of league leading FC Hameenlinna. This was a team bang in form and we struggled from start to finish. We went in at half time two goals down and down to ten men after Kuusela was given his marching orders for his second yellow of the game. And though we got a goal back mid way through the second period, scored by Eranen we were never really in it and FC Hameenlinna won at a canter. To make matters worse we suffered injries to Etelamaki (a week out with a stubbed toe) and Kotilahti( also a week out, this time with a bruised head). there was obviously still lots of work to do.

Final Score PP-70 1-2 FC Hameenlinna

The only silver lining was we stayed in 11th spot despite the defeat

A first defeat for Langley

The Dag Hammerfest column Aamulehti 01 Aug 2005

New PP-70 manager Tristan Langley had his first taste of defeat last night at the hands of FC Hameenlinna. Outclssed and outplayed, Tampere's second team struggled to get any kind of foothold in the game and endied up losing out to the league leaders. has the Tristan Langley bubble burst? Well, the month of August will surely tell us more.

August. A win and a draw, but two defeats

The first Sunday in August, the 4th, saw us demolish fellow strugellers FC Atlantis by 3-0. Two more goals from Harri Mikkola in the first half were followed up with a Timo Valkeappa penalty in the second with Atlantis's Jokipera being sent off for a professional foul. The win saw us rise up the table at last.

Final Score PP-70 3-0 FC Atlantis

At last, the heady heights of 10th in the table

The following Sunday, the 11th saw us lose away at AC Oulu. Oulu were riding high in the table at the time and showed us a few lessons in finishing as they converted more of their chances into goals than we did of ours. They lead 2-1 at half time and 3-2 at full time, never behind after a first minute goal. Our goals came from Eranen and Mikkola but to be honest we were never in this one.

Final Score AC Oulu 3-2 PP-70

We manage to hold on to 10th spot despite the defeat

Another week another dissapointment as we are held away at fellow strugglers KPV. To our credit we pegged back KPV twice with two goals from Eranen but in truth it was a poor game with few chances on target from either side. KPV certainly created more but we wayward in shooting despite their two goals.

Final Score KPV 2-2 PP-70

We cling on to 10th spot with this point

August closed with another defeat but this time at home. Rakuunat, only just out of the danger zone themselves were the visitors, and they ran out comfortable winners scoring with the two shots that they managed to get on target. We wasted a number of chances and only got on the score sheet in injury time at the end of the game via the left boot of Juuso Olikainen

Final Score PP-70 1-2 Rakuunat

Disaster strikes as we slip to 12th in the table

We closed the month with the purchase of 29. Lasse Vornanen a £1'000 capture from FCV]. He's 26 years old and a creative defensive midfielder.

August wasn't a good month. Surely Dag Hammerfest was just waiting to stick the boot in.

The Wheels Have come off !

The Dag Hammerfest column Aamulehti 01 Sep 2005

After a tolerably good start to his managerial career Tristan Langley has seen it all go wrong in the last month and seen the PP-70 team slide back into relegation trouble.

It's true that the Englishman had a good start to his career at Tampere's second club, but despite the good form the team haven't managed to escape from trouble, never rising above 10th spot in all Langley's time here. And now with a run of bad form the club have dropped back to 12th spot, the second of the relegation playoff spots, and it seems to some people, this observer included, that there is only one direction the club is going to go from here.

I hope events will prove me wrong, but Tristan langley is going to have to pull out all the stops if he is going to rescue this season.

More next month folks

The pressure's on now

I didn't expect the press response to be friendly and things were notched up another level late on in the week when P-Iirot manager Kari Latvenen piped up in the press that he thought I'd have a hard time saving PP-70 from relegation. Quite simply a lame attempt at mind games ahead of our clash at the weekend but I chose to respond by saying that i'd enjoy it when we beat them on Sunday. All good clean fun.

Desperate Times, Desperate measures

So Sunday came around and we have an away game at fellow strugglers P-Iirot. The game itself began as a very cagey affiar with chances few and far between. All the players were nervous nd mistakes were common place. Indeed it was from a mistake that we managed to break the deadlock right on half time as full back Jaakko Pasanen crossed from the right, the ball sailed over the keeper's head and straight in. A bizarre goal but a 1-0 half time lead. So far so good.

P-Iirot came out fighting though in the second half and soon equalised, Heliminen with the vollied equaliser. Things got alot worse on 76 minutes when P-Iirot took the lead with a fine individual effort from Santahunta (And, no, I haven't made that name up !). And we struggled to get back into the game. As the time ticked past 85 minutes and we didn't look like making a breakthrough I switched to all out attack. P-Iirot just couldn't live with us after that point as Timo Valkeapaa, up from the back at a corner, rammed home the equaliser from close range.

It was well into the 4 minutes of injury time that we picked up the winner, Eranen picking up a sweet through ball and tucking it under the advancing keeper's body for the winner. There was barley time left to kick off and as the final whistle went you could see the P-Iirot players just looking at each other in disbelief. As for our lads, you'd think we'd won the Finnish cup.

Final Score: P-Iirot 2-3 PP70

And as a bonus we move back up to 10th. Out of the relegation playoff spots.

Two games against fellow strugglers

11th September saw the visit of FC Viikingit, languishing in 13th spot with little hope of redemption. The itself was a one way affair and we ran out easy winners with goals from Sihvonen, Mikkola and an own goal. A 3-0 win, and at a canter.

Final Score PP-70 3-0 FC Viikingit

Up to 8th. As high as we've been all season

The following week saw a game at home to PK-35 another team in the mire, though at least with a hope of getting out. But not so much after this match, an absolute demolishion by my PP-70 boys. Playing with exceptional confidence the boys produced the display of the season, totally dominant and running out very easy winners. Three goals from Mikkola (what great signing he was) and another two from the ever deadly Eranen took us to 5-0 up. We took our foot of the gas at the very end and allowed PK-35 a consolation goal, but it was no more than that.

Final Score: PP-70 5-1 PK-35

Up another place to 7th. The good news is we can no longer finish in either of the automatic relegation spots.[/b]

Another win and an Award.

Another home game closed out the month. A different proposition this time though in the shape of second placed VG-62. But once again we were outstanding. After a tight first half, which closed 1-1, Eranen getting our goal, equalised by VG-62 on the stroke of half time; the second half was a different story. We were outstanding. Eranen completed his hatrick with two more goals as we crusied to another win.

Final Score PP-70 3-1 VG-62

Up again. To 6th

Month end saw the good news of me being named Manager of The Month for the Finnish First Division. That should shut Dag Hammerfest up, eh ?

Langley gets Manager of the month

The Dag Hammerfest column Aamulehti 01 Oct 2005

Following four straight wins in the month PP-70's Tristan Langley has been named manager of the month. And let this commentator be the first to offer his congratulations. With only one game of the season left PP-70 are out of any relegation danger and could even finish as high as fifth, if results go their way tomorrow. That certainly did not look possible when Langley arrived and the fact is that he has turned this club around. the fans will be looking forward to next season already with hope in their hearts. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. PP-70 fans will be keen to see the team finish as high as they can, so tomorrow's game remains vitally important in their minds.

That's all for now.

The season ends on a high note

We travel to OLS on the last day of the season. OLS will finish bottom of the league whatever happens in this match. And it turns out that our guys have their thoughts turned to their holidays already and we are outplayed for long periods by OLS but they reveal exactly why they are doing so badly by the standard of their finishing. It's against the run of play when our best player all season Olikainen scores after 40 mins. OLS do manage to get back into it with an equaliser right on half time. the second half is more of the same but its us who gets the winner with Eranen's 18th goal of the season mid way through the period. And try as the might OLS can't respond a second time and fall to a final day defaet that confirms them in 14th spot in the league.

Final Score OLS 1-2 PP-70

Results do go our way and we finish the season in 5th spot, our highest placing of the whole campaign, certainly the right time to do that.

A quick meeting with The Chairman

The following Wednesday after the last game of the season I recieved an invitation to join the club chairman, Pentti Kainulainen, for a coffee at Valssi, the cafe housed within the museum centre of Tampere, called Vapriikki.

Vapriikki is housed in what used to be the engineering works of Tampella Ltd. In addition to exhibition spaces, the Museum Centre provides facilities for collections, preservation, photo archives, a reference library, an auditorium, education of school children as well as space for research and offices. The facilities of the Museum Centre and Valssi café can also be rented for private functions.

Tristan Langley [TL]: "A very nice museum that town has here, and a very pleasnt cafe too."

Pentti Kainulainen [PK]: "Yes, Tampere is full of pleasnt surprises. I hope you have found the same."

TL: "Indeed I have, Pentti. Tampere has proved to be a very pleaseant place to live and work."

PK: "I am very glad to hear it, Tristan. Turning to the team I have to say that I, and the rest of the board, are very impressed with the way you have turned the club around. We are espcially impressed with the final league placing. On the whole we are very pleased."

TL: "Thank you, but it's the lads on teh pitch who have done the hard work. All I had to do was point them in the right direction."

PK: "Very modest of you, Mr Langley. I'm sure you had something to do with it. Anyway, into the off season, Have you ever seen any ski-jumping live ?"

The thanks of the board did indeed turn out to be just that, plain and simple. I'd thought that the meeting could only mean either an addition to the transfer budget or even an instruction to cut the transfer budget but neither was forthcoming. All the players were released for their holdays, due to return for pre-season training in December. But for me the transfer window would reopen in November and I had work to do to plan for that.

Author's note: I should probably point out that all of the Tampere specific details come from some very informative websites including The City Of Tampere website, the websitre of the Finnish Embassy in London and the Virtual Finland website. This is by no means an exhaustive list of sources, but these are the main ones. I thank the author's of the sites for their informative and entertaining sites.

What I did on my holidays

Whilst the players were on their post-season holidays I went to work strengthening the team and fielding enquiries for players. And the offers came in thick and fast. Eranen (no chance !), Mikkola (are you joking ???), Peltonen (never!) fr three. We also turned down offers for Pasanen, Etelemaki and Valkaepaa. No dice on any of them.

But a couple of players did move on. Defenders Viitanen and Kuusi both moved on to better things, newly promoted FC Hamealinna and Premier Division stalwarts RoPS respectively. Andre Arjas, a right winger arrived with a small amount of cash in the Viitanen deal and Kuusi waranted £10k up front and a further £20k in appearance money. It keeps the finances topped up.

Both transfers out were completed on the reopening of the transfer window and at the same time a couple of players came in 32. Christoffer Carlsson is a 16 year old Sweedish central midfielder who can also fill in on the left who we picked up for Sweedish non-entities Stafsinge and also 33 Linus Blomster, aged 20, a wide midfielder picked up from the open market.

Ans so we obviously had need of some central defenders and in the course of the next couple of weeks we signed 5. Roger Nielsen a 20 year old Sweedish centre back signed for £5k from Asmundstrops a Sweedish non-league side. Also coming in were 34 Matti Uoti a 29 year old centre-back coming in from local non league football and the experienced 16. Per Arne Gjerdalen, 33, on a free from Norwegian nobn league outfit Hamer he comes in in a player/coach role and so will help us out on a couple of levels.

Anyway the time flew and before we knew it it was December 12th and the players reported back for pre-season training.

So obviously were were in need of

Cheers Axeman.

and apologies for half a sentance at the end of the last report. I must learn to cut and paste properly. Or at least read what I've written before I post it.

Anyway, coming up the biggest, most important pre-season friendly in the history of the world. Honestly.

And so to pre-season training

Finland. December. How's this going to work ? In a scene that Good King Wencelas himself would have recognised the snow lay deep and crisp and even.

But my assistant came up with the idea, and let's face it if you're not a Brit it's pretty obvious (should have been obvious to me really but I still consider myself to be new round here) that we should use the conditins to our advantage.

So our first training session was cross country skiing across the expansive city parks of Tampere. All the players are, of course, expert cross country skiers, unlike myself who went on to make a complete a*se of myself.

Fortunately the local TV crew was there to do a piece on the recommencement of training and saw my pitiful efforts. It made an easy opening to the brief interview for local TV presenter Hanna Ripatti.

Hanna Ripatti (HR): "Tristan Langley, you haven't yet quite got the art of skiing worked out then ?"

Tristan Langley (TL): "No Hanna, I certainly haven't personally, but the lads have and from what I've seen, and indeed felt myself, today I don't believe there is any better way to start pre-seeason training. The aerobic exercise provided by cross country skiing is second to none, and that's just what we need right now."

HR: "Fascinating stuff. So how do you see the season ahead unfolding, especially after the way PP-70 finished the last campaign ?"

TL: "We certainly finished last year very strongly and I believe we can carry on in the same vein this year. We'll have to work hard but I think we can do it."

HR: "And will there be many changes in personnel ?"

TL: "We have the same core of players but have added to it in places. We are reshaping the defence a little and have made some changes there. I also expect some transfer activity to continue in the next couple of weeks. There has been alot of interest in some of our players in the past few days and something may come of that."

HR:"Any clues ?"

TL:"Well, Hanna, the defence has been the focus so far, and we can expect to see more action tehre, but I am always on the lookout for any player that will help to strengthen the team"

HR:"Well the future certainly looks bright from where I'm standing. Many Thanks Tristan Langley." (and turning to camera)...."And that's it from central Tampere where the PP-70 squad have put theire best foot forward on the first day of pre-season training. This is Hanna Ripatti reporting from beautiful downtown Tampere."

Hanna Ripatti: "That's us finished with filming. By the way Tristan, do you fancy going out sometime ?"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chesterfan2:

Must stop writing these late at night. my spelling is appalling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't matter - this is a great read! icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chesterfan2:

Oops. Just noticed that I managed to change Hanna's name halfway through that one. Bad me ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im also quite into Scandinavia (lived in Norway for one year and fell in love with LL Tromsdalen) - which detail do you run the other leagues?

Do you use the LL "rules" or find new players on your own?

Hope you will come back in full strength after Christmas - or maybe you took a Ryan Air trip to Tampere? icon_wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Im also quite into Scandinavia (lived in Norway for one year and fell in love with LL Tromsdalen) - which detail do you run the other leagues?

Hope you will come back in full strength after Christmas - or maybe you took a Ryan Air trip to Tampere? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the kind words Loeffle. The break in play has been caused not by my much desired trip to Tampere (still saving for that) but simply by Santa Claus bringing me Civilization 4 and The Movies for Christmas. Normal service will be resumed shortly, if only to keep my 'audience' happy !

As for my setup I believe (it's been a while since I set this game up TBH) I have Finland and England on Normal detail and Norway, Sweeden, Iceland and Scotland on Basic (though I have 1GB of memory on board I do prefer speed to depth of detail). I'm also not terribly good at being truly LLM. My scouts themselves are English (but as I am an English manager in the game maybe I can get away with that) and I do have them scouting Scandanavia (rather than just Finland - which probably isn't in the spirit of LLM) I don't scout England but only becasue I don't beleive any player I found would come to PP70.

Having said that I don't believe I have violated the LLM spirit too much and the Finnish First Division makes a refereshing change, especially in as much as it is a league I know nothing about ( in terms of team strengths, good players etc) and as such it provides me with a stiff challenege.

Anyway.. Back with teh next instalment soon !

Cheers, Tanel. And to contradict myself from earlier on Loeffle, I have all the leagues I mentioned ealrier on 'Normal' level. Shows what I know.

The offer of a date from Hanna Ripatti came completly out of the blue, but wasn't one I was going to turn down. She was after all a very attractive young lady, and one I sensed with quite a bit in the way of ambition. Anyway we arranged to meet a couple of days later at a place called Plevna, which she said she thought I would like. At the time I couldn't think what she meant but she told me it was a nice relaxed place where we could get a drink and a bite to eat.

The 16th of December came round and the day of the date. To put me in the mood I did a bit of footy business and signed another player, picking up 22 year old Finnish center-back 35. Jaakko Vesala on a free from minnows PIF. He's a brave and quite aggresive player who has proven to be quite astute when on the pitch. He'll give us some cover at the back and is a welcome addition to the ranks.

Anyway, the evening came around and I found myself watching the clock tick round to the apponted hour like a nervous schoolboy.

I needn't have worried as Hanna had picked an ideal venue for a first date. Plevna is a brewery pub and restaurant and whilst being cosy and relaxed it still serves great beer (brewed on the premises) and great food. Maybe she had an inkling of my liking for Beer but that didn't matter. We laughed and joked over our beers, Hanna on a light Wheat Beer whilst I tried a Dark Lager. A superb meal followed and we parted much later with our mutual desire to see each other again quite evident to all and sundry.

The Traditional Christmas friendly

I had a quiet Christmas Day in my apartment in Tampere. Hanna was spending time with her folks and so it was me on my lonesome.

Anyway St. Stephen's Day or Boxinday to us Brits brought us to what I hope will be a regular fixture. The boys at Santa Claus in Rovaniemi have just been thorugh their busiest time of year so I was happy to take a team up for a friendly. Perhaps wasn't too bright playing on a snowbound pitch but we played with the Orange ball, and at least it wasn't icy. I had a nice chat with their manager, an ice old man in a red suit with a beard, can't for the life of me remember his name, Nick Saint or something like that.

We played the game at a canter and won with an early goal from Eranen, equalised on the half time whistle by the enthusiastic locals, and a goal midway through the second period from Harri Mikkola. Timo Valkeapaa won man of the match award, revelling in his chance to play in the centre of defence.

All in all a good work out.

Final Score: Santa Claus 1 : 2 PP-70

Aren't we busy in the post-Christmas sales !

We then went through a hectic period of transfer dealings in the next few days at the club. No fewer than three players arrived on the 28th. 36. Hernan Zerbo a 21 yaer old Argentinian sweeper arrived on a free from FC Hameenlinna. He has a bit of a discpline problem but is a very promising player. 37. Sergiy Panchencko is a Ukranian, 28 years old and a centre forward signed for £3,000 from non league TUS. He is an influentuial player with good finishing for this level. The third player is 38. Ilja Gronlund who is at least Finnish, 22 and a left footed centre back. Got in on a free after a time on the sidelines he is one for the future.

On New Year's Eve Premier Division TPV came in for right back Janne Hannula for £2,000 and Defnsive Midfielder 4. Tomi Lahtinen, 21, in part exchange. Tomi is menatlly a very strong character and he should do well in this league. we were ready to let Janne go as he hadn't really figured for us last season and it's not our ploicy to stand in the way of lads going on to 'better things' at a Premier Division club.

The new year saw two more sigings on the pitch and two more to the backroom staff. First in was 39. Michael Hoiby a young, 22, Norwegian goalkeeper from norwegian side Donn. We had long admired this young net minder, who has the talent to challenge for a starting spot stright away. A couple of days later and another playing arrival, the experienced 40. Pasi Lahti, 28 on a free from SavU. He is an inflential Defensive Midfielder who will also be right in the mix for a starting spot.

I also signed a couple more coaches in the following week. Jonas Klippvik is a Swede who will take Defenidng training and a Scot Bobby Geddes who signs in as Goalkeeping coach.

With this influx of players I felt I was somewhere near where we should be in terms of playing staff prior to the new season so the was nothing else for it but to train them away and to book some friendlies for a couple of months time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Im also quite into Scandinavia (lived in Norway for one year and fell in love with LL Tromsdalen) - which detail do you run the other leagues?

Hope you will come back in full strength after Christmas - or maybe you took a Ryan Air trip to Tampere? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the kind words Loeffle. The break in play has been caused not by my much desired trip to Tampere (still saving for that) but simply by Santa Claus bringing me Civilization 4 and The Movies for Christmas. Normal service will be resumed shortly, if only to keep my 'audience' happy !

As for my setup I believe (it's been a while since I set this game up TBH) I have Finland and England on Normal detail and Norway, Sweeden, Iceland and Scotland on Basic (though I have 1GB of memory on board I do prefer speed to depth of detail). I'm also not terribly good at being truly LLM. My scouts themselves are English (but as I am an English manager in the game maybe I can get away with that) and I do have them scouting Scandanavia (rather than just Finland - which probably isn't in the spirit of LLM) I don't scout England but only becasue I don't beleive any player I found would come to PP70.

Having said that I don't believe I have violated the LLM spirit too much and the Finnish First Division makes a refereshing change, especially in as much as it is a league I know nothing about ( in terms of team strengths, good players etc) and as such it provides me with a stiff challenege.

Anyway.. Back with teh next instalment soon ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds great icon_smile.gif Im still happy with my Hibs game (where theres no story), but when Im tired of it I also head to Scandinavian or Scottish lower leagues. Im a rather slow player so I might go for the leagues instead of speed.

CIV III also kept me away from the last FM a bit, but this weeks holiday I use only on cross country skiing and my Hibs game icon_wink.gif

Be careful with Suomi girls, they are very sweet, but can also be little monsters and give much pain ...

Archived