Rallying From Infamy

Andrew K

1.FC Nürnberg, from now on known as FC Nuremburg or 1.FCN, had two great periods in its history. The first was during the tulmutous ‘20s when the Bavarian club won five first division titles from 1920 to 1927. The second was during the ‘60s when the club won two titles (1961 & 1968), runner-up in another (1962) and added a German Cup to the trophy case (1962). Since then the club has fallen on hard times. Immediately after its success in the ’60s the club dropped down all the way into the regional leagues. From then on the club has bounced up and down between the varying German leagues and only in the early 80s did it get a whiff of significant silverware when it reached the Finals in the German Cup, only to be denied. Where the city was once famous for its football pedigree it was now infamously tied to the Nazi rallies held there in the 30’s. Only something dramatic could change this negative image.

After another demotion from the Bundesliga in 2003 and the unexpected exit of Klaus Augenthaler who went to Leverkusen to repair their disastrous year, Nuremburg was left once again looking for a manager who could build a solid Bundesliga foundation. Which is why I was surprised when I received the call from the 1.FCN President asking if I was interested in the position. Perhaps a bit of explanation of my career is in order at this point. My name is Wolfgang Rauf. After a very undistinguished youth career at Bayern Munich I realized my football playing career was destined for leagues far lower on the German football food chain than the Bundesliga. After bouncing around on various Bayern league sides, I eventually settled at FC Kempten and became a relatively successful player/manager for the Allgaü side.

It was my acumen for getting the most out of a semi-pro side and sending them deep into the German Cup last year that brought my name to the 1.FCN board as a prospective manager. During my interview, the Board gave three tasks for the manager they would hire. First, the new manager was expected to lead the club to promotion in the upcoming year. Secondly, upon promotion Nuremburg was expected to stay up for a more extended period than in recent Bundesliga campaigns. Failure in either of these tasks would be grounds for an immediate sacking and the stern gaze on their collective faces left no doubt that they were serious about this ultimatum. The third task was less dramatic, but the seriousness of it also could not be understated. I was expected to guide Nuremburg with as many German faces as possible, preferably one’s who grew up wearing lederhosen (read: Bavarians) in order to market the club to the city and the surrounding countryside, where Bayern Munich obviously ruled supreme. I wasn’t certain any of the three tasks could be successfully completed, but I wasn’t about to pass up the chance to guide a side with the resources of 1.FCN so I readily accepted. A few days later I was phoned again and was offered the position. My career at 1.FC Nürnberg had begun. God have mercy upon me.

1.FC Nürnberg, from now on known as FC Nuremburg or 1.FCN, had two great periods in its history. The first was during the tulmutous ‘20s when the Bavarian club won five first division titles from 1920 to 1927. The second was during the ‘60s when the club won two titles (1961 & 1968), runner-up in another (1962) and added a German Cup to the trophy case (1962). Since then the club has fallen on hard times. Immediately after its success in the ’60s the club dropped down all the way into the regional leagues. From then on the club has bounced up and down between the varying German leagues and only in the early 80s did it get a whiff of significant silverware when it reached the Finals in the German Cup, only to be denied. Where the city was once famous for its football pedigree it was now infamously tied to the Nazi rallies held there in the 30’s. Only something dramatic could change this negative image.

After another demotion from the Bundesliga in 2003 and the unexpected exit of Klaus Augenthaler who went to Leverkusen to repair their disastrous year, Nuremburg was left once again looking for a manager who could build a solid Bundesliga foundation. Which is why I was surprised when I received the call from the 1.FCN President asking if I was interested in the position. Perhaps a bit of explanation of my career is in order at this point. My name is Wolfgang Rauf. After a very undistinguished youth career at Bayern Munich I realized my football playing career was destined for leagues far lower on the German football food chain than the Bundesliga. After bouncing around on various Bayern league sides, I eventually settled at FC Kempten and became a relatively successful player/manager for the Allgaü side.

It was my acumen for getting the most out of a semi-pro side and sending them deep into the German Cup last year that brought my name to the 1.FCN board as a prospective manager. During my interview, the Board gave three tasks for the manager they would hire. First, the new manager was expected to lead the club to promotion in the upcoming year. Secondly, upon promotion Nuremburg was expected to stay up for a more extended period than in recent Bundesliga campaigns. Failure in either of these tasks would be grounds for an immediate sacking and the stern gaze on their collective faces left no doubt that they were serious about this ultimatum. The third task was less dramatic, but the seriousness of it also could not be understated. I was expected to guide Nuremburg with as many German faces as possible, preferably one’s who grew up wearing lederhosen (read: Bavarians) in order to market the club to the city and the surrounding countryside, where Bayern Munich obviously ruled supreme. I wasn’t certain any of the three tasks could be successfully completed, but I wasn’t about to pass up the chance to guide a side with the resources of 1.FCN so I readily accepted. A few days later I was phoned again and was offered the position. My career at 1.FC Nürnberg had begun. God have mercy upon me.

An Introduction to the Club

Upon my first day at the club I came to the horrible realization that I had made a gigantic mistake. One that might just end my coaching career before it had even gained firm footing. After managing a dozen and a half players and an assistant manager who was a mechanic during the day at FC Kempten, I felt completely overwhelmed that first morning as I took the practice fields in charge of over fifty players from the under-19 level to the senior side plus a full retinue of coaches, scouts and physiotherapists.. And speaking of my coaching staff, I doubt a less remarkable lot could ever be assembled. And bitter to boot for being passed over by some Alpine upstart. It was time to call in reinforcements.

My first call was to Liverpudlian great Peter Beardsley, who through channels I had learned was looking for a coaching position. I wasn’t hopeful that he would be interested but I was desperate and phoned him anyway only to be surprised that he was indeed interested having not had much luck finding positions in England. While I was stuck with a pre-existing assistant manager, I planned to use Beardsley as a shadow assistant manager who would be in charge of the under-19 side among other tasks. To round out the staff I hired a Bulgarian by the name of Ananiev who would be placed in charge of training the goalkeepers. And upon recommendation from Peter I hired an Englishman by the name of Clifford who was said to be proficient in training defenses. The latter sparked “English Invasion†headlines for a time in the local papers as my coaching staff anonymously sniped at the two Englishmen to reporters. I, however, was quite happy to have them along and my initial fears were eased as they helped loosen the burden on my shoulders. There were still panic attacks. Not the least being that Wolves immediately offered Beardsley an assistant manager position with the club, but Peter honorably kept his word with us and turned down the offer. As soon as my assistant manager’s contract ends or the buyout becomes more palatable I plan to officially name Beardsley as my AM in gratitude.

After settling the staff, my attention turned to the players at my disposal. With only a £400k transfer kitty, I decided to build it up a bit by selling off some players who other clubs were interested in and who I didn’t see as a long-term option at Nuremburg. So, I sent Pavel David back to the Czech Republic (Sparta Prague) for £325k and Rafael to Corinthians for £350k. But the coup was when Besiktas came in and offered £950k for Oktay, who is poor in the air and not especially fast which is a bad combination for a striker.

With the money accrued from these sales, I went shopping. First was a call to the States to secure the services of Eddie Pope from DC United for the very cheap price of £90k. He isn’t the commanding center-back I desire, but he is well suited for 2.Liga play and could still contribute in the Bundesliga. My second purchase was to buy a young Bulgarian striker by the name of Pavel Beganskiy from BATE for £300k. Finally, I bought Petar Djenic from Ahlen to add much needed depth to the left side. Then I went to the player bank and took out some loans. Suprisingly Stuttgart offered Christian Tiffert out on loan and I snatched him up. Likewise, Dinamo Kiev offered a dynamic Romanian midfielder by the name of Tiberiu Ghioane on loan and I secured his services for the year as well. With Robert Vittek (Slovan Bratislava) and Lawrence Aidoo (M’gladbach) already at the club these additions put my number of loans at four.

I still had a tidy sum in the kitty, but I decided to wait until the January window to take advantage of perhaps a favorable buying market before I spent more money.

The First XI (and second XI)

In the goalkeepers box, 1.FCN had an embarrassment of riches. Both Raphael Schäfer and Kristian Nicht were Bundesliga quality keepers. My coaching staff, including the new additions, informed me that Nicht was the better of the two, but my own thought was for Schäfer. While I don’t like over-ruling such a consensus I felt safe in my choice. Nevertheless, I planned to give Nicht at dozen or so appearances during the year, so it could be a year long battle. Darius Kampa is also a quality keeper but he was sent down to the Amateur side with an available to loan tag.

My backline is a mixed bag. On the right-side I’ve earmarked American international Tony Sanneh as the man with Christian Wiesner as his understudy. In central defense, newly arrived Eddie Pope will team up with Tomasz Kos. Kos is a bit slow footed, but anticipates well and has good positional sense which should make up for the lack of speed. Marek Niki and Thomas Stehle will relieve them during the year. Finally on the left-side Frank Wiblishauser is penciled in as the starter by default. I have no cover at the position but could bring Djenic down from midfield in a pinch.

The midfield is full of stark choices between player development and winning now. Of course, if I don’t win now I will be sacked so maybe it is full of easy choices. On the right-side Christian Tiffert gets the nod with Lawrence Aidoo, another loanee, acting as cover. A couple of decent men owned by the club will need to develop on the Amateur side. Poland born Mariusz Kukielka will be the ball winner in central midfield and currently injured Dieter Frey, Kempten born, will be his back-up. I’m not the least bit confident with Frey so Larsen might see time there as well. In the attacking position of central midfield, Romanian Tiberiu Ghioane will be the starter and the aforementioned Tommy Svindal Larsen backing him up. There are a couple of other decent players who could fill in as well, but like at right-side they will spend the bulk of 2003/04 on the Amateur side, injuries naturally changing things. Finally, on the left-side newcomer Petar Djenic will start with Leverkusen bound Jacek Krysnowek playing in attacking situations.

Up front, the well named Martin Driller will act as the target man with 22 year-old Pavel Beganskiy acting as his strike partner. Brazilian Vlademir will nominally back-up Driller but I’ll probably shift Beganskiy over in the position should Driller get injured or need rest. Backing Beganskiy is Robert Vittek, on loan from Slovan Bratislava, and should see plenty of time on the pitch as I’ll try to keep Beganskiy’s appearances in the low 20s. And that is the side we start the season with. I would like to find a more robust ball winner in midfield, add cover at left back and add depth on the front line during the course of the season.

The Formation

I began the pre-season utilizing an counterattacking 5-3-2, but it was an abysmal failure. Goal opportunities dwindled in each successive friendly until our last I was left with only two against a poor French side. So, I’ve switched to a 4-4-2. Away I will instruct the wingers to play positionally sound as we counterattack against the opposition momentum. At home, I look for my wingers to bomb forward, getting the ball to a pair of strikers who are strong in the air. We will begin the season playing mostly a direct style, but I hope to switch to a more short passing game as our players become more familiar with each other. Defensively, Pope will act as a stopper with Kos as the sweeper. In certain situations I’ll push Sanneh forward, but Wiblishauser on the left-side will play cautiously due to his limited attacking ability.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I began the pre-season utilizing an counterattacking 5-3-2, but it was an abysmal failure. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good icon_mad.gif

If you want to do something for Nürnberg's reputation, step one will be ditching negative football I say icon_cool.gif

Welcome back Herr Texan icon_wink.gif

The 2003-2004 Season

The First Third

Trouble scoring goals during the pre-season extended into the regular which got underway on a beautiful August day in Osnabrück. The goal drought almost marred such an idyllic setting, but late in the match substitute Svindal-Larsen saved the day by splitting the opposition backline with a beautiful through ball that Ghioane latched upon and delivered past the Osnabrück goalkeeper. It was the first goal of the season and the only one needed that day to secure the three points.

The next weekend the goal drought reared its ugly head again, but at least in this match we had an excuse. The blame fell squarely on horrendous weather. The unseasonably cold temperatures mixed with gale force winds made it very difficult to pass or shoot the ball, not to mention stay warm. The 28,003 brave souls who came to the home opener at Frankenstadion left having had witnessed a scoreless draw. The local media pounded me with accusations of playing negative football, none more so than a local Dutch scribe, but the following week we plodded along with our same drills and formation believing that chances would eventually be finished. At least I hoped so, but my faith was born out when both Kos and Ghioane buried chances against Karlsruhe. That one was off a corner gave some fuel to our detractors, but a 2-0 victory is a good way to silence critics.

We drew minnow Velbert in the German Cup and dispatched them with extreme prejudice 3-1 after they got up early. We drew 2.Liga side Trier for our 2nd Round German Cup match, which will be played at Frankenstadion. The Karlsruhe match and the fodder that was Velbert got our attack clicking. At home we notched 3 goals to Mainz’s 1 for a three points against a strong 2.Liga side. Tiffert was the hero of the match, scoring once and assisting on the other goals, and his form continued to the next week when he assisted on both goals in a 2-0 victory over Aue. With 13 points in 5 matches and only one goal given up on the year we were off to a strong start to the year.

After our good run of form criticism didn’t end, it simply shifted. Instead of playing negative football, I was criticized for relying on players who wouldn’t be with the team beyond this year. It was a legitimate criticism and therefore stung. However, to reach the Board’s first goal I felt obligated to play the best XI available to me and if it included Tiffert, Ghioane, Vittek, Aidoo and Krysnowek so be it. In the meantime I thought about the future by selling off some youth players who had low potential ceilings and buying a few who had higher one’s. It was of course not recognized.

After Aue, we hosted Munich suburb side Unterhaching and sent them packing in a tense 1-0 victory. In the second half of our Bavarian stretch, we travelled to remote Burghausen and in a similar match as the week before we won 1:0 in another nail biter. The two tight matches were followed by a laugher against Union Berlin in Nuremburg. Three early goals from our Temporary Legion ended the contest almost before it started and Driller converted the penalty he drew in the second half to drive the final nail into the coffin. While attention was focused on our skilled temporary players, it had gone unnoticed how well our defense was playing which was 100% pure Nuremburger. In the eight league matches we had only conceded two goals.

Our undefeated season came to a screeching halt the next weekend when Ahlen, a side hovering in the top 5, took the full three points away from us at Frankenstadion in a 1-0 loss. So, when arch-rival Greuther Fürth scored in the opening moments in the away match the following weekend, I have no doubt many had thought our bubble had burst. But it wasn’t long before we answered and answered twice. A third goal before the half put us comfortably ahead until GF scored a second to make it close. And close it was. The final 20 minutes was a wild affair with both sides trading body blows like two heavyweights in the final rounds. A huge mistake near injury time by Sven Neuhaus, the GF keeper, that allowed an Aidoo shot to pass through his legs settled the matter. We won 4-2 and end the first third in first place, but only a point ahead of Duisberg who we are due to play the next weekend.

On the transfer front I had little success in spending the £1.3M tranfer fund I had built up. I am willing to only buy players who I think will be able to contribute not only this year in the 2.Liga but next year in Bundesliga. The options were few and they were mostly overpriced. When I did finally find a Argentinian leftside midfielder who would be an asset I discovered that since he was on loan I couldn’t secure him until next July. So, I didn’t commit myself to him but he is an option if other pursuits don’t succeed.

[This message was edited by Andrew K on 14 April 2004 at 20:33.]

[This message was edited by Andrew K on 14 April 2004 at 20:34.]

[This message was edited by Andrew K on 14 April 2004 at 20:35.]

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Holders - SC Freiburg

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Nürnberg | | 10 | 8 | 1 | 1 | 18 | 4 | +14 | 25 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Duisburg | | 10 | 8 | 0 | 2 | 12 | 5 | +7 | 24 |

| 3rd | | Ahlen | | 10 | 7 | 0 | 3 | 17 | 7 | +10 | 21 |

| 4th | | Mainz | | 10 | 6 | 1 | 3 | 22 | 15 | +7 | 19 |

| 5th | | Karlsruhe | | 10 | 5 | 1 | 4 | 22 | 17 | +5 | 16 |

| 6th | | Cottbus | | 10 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 13 | 12 | +1 | 15 |

| 7th | | Trier | | 10 | 4 | 2 | 4 | 12 | 9 | +3 | 14 |

| 8th | | Bielefeld | | 10 | 4 | 2 | 4 | 14 | 17 | -3 | 14 |

| 9th | | Burghausen | | 10 | 4 | 1 | 5 | 14 | 11 | +3 | 13 |

| 10th | | Aachen | | 10 | 4 | 1 | 5 | 16 | 14 | +2 | 13 |

| 11th | | Aue | | 10 | 3 | 4 | 3 | 10 | 10 | 0 | 13 |

| 12th | | Lübeck | | 10 | 4 | 1 | 5 | 13 | 16 | -3 | 13 |

| 13th | | Oberhausen | | 10 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 10 | 13 | -3 | 12 |

| 14th | | Unterhaching | | 10 | 3 | 2 | 5 | 13 | 19 | -6 | 11 |

| 15th | | Osnabrück | | 10 | 3 | 0 | 7 | 12 | 20 | -8 | 9 |

| 16th | | Greuther Fürth | | 10 | 3 | 0 | 7 | 11 | 20 | -9 | 9 |

| 17th | | Regensburg | | 10 | 2 | 2 | 6 | 9 | 19 | -10 | 8 |

| 18th | | Union Berlin | | 10 | 2 | 2 | 6 | 9 | 19 | -10 | 8 |

| | | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

Nuremburg goals through 11 matches

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> 1st in German Second Division

Squad Screen

| | | | | | | | | |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| FC | | Beganskiy, P | 4 | | MC | Loa | Ghioane, T | 3 |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| SB3 | Trn | Krzynowek, J* | 3 | | MR | Loa | Tiffert, C | 3 |

| FC | | Driller, M* | 2 | | SB7 | | Vittek, R | 2 |

| | Fgn | Vlademir | 2 | | SB5 | Fgn | Aidoo, L | 1 |

| DC | | Kos, T* | 1 | | ML | | Djenic, P | 0 |

| SB4 | | Frey, D | 0 | | MC | | Kukielka, M | 0 |

| | | Mintal, M | 0 | | | | Müller, L | 0 |

| SB1 | Loa | Nicht, K | 0 | | DC | Wnt | Nikl, M | 0 |

| | Fgn | Pope, E | 0 | | DR | Fgn | Sanneh, A | 0 |

| GK | | Schäfer, R | 0 | | | Wnt | Stehle, T | 0 |

| SB6 | | Svindal Larsen, T | 0 | | DL | Wnt | Wiblishauser, F | 0 |

| | | Wiesner, C | 0 | | SB2 | | Wolf, A | 0 |

</pre>

• 2 weeks later...

This story hasn't been abandoned. Due to some computer problems last week I was delayed in finishing the winter months. I'm finished now and I'll have a Winter report up later today.

The format of my story will be 4 seasonal reports a game year, with a possible stretch run report if warranted. I play a bit slowly so there might be up to two week gaps between reports.

Winter

The winter got underway with a top of the table clash. First place Nuremburg away to 2nd place Duisburg. It wasn’t much of a contest. Goals from Ghioane, Pope and Larsen sealed a 3-0 victory. The beat went on the next week when we had another clean sheet (2-0) against Aachen. But then we came up against Cottbus who got off to a fast start, scoring in the 1st minute. We equalized 32 minutes later, but late in the match they once again went ahead. However, a fantastic run from Vittek down the left side ended in a cross that Müller headed in. The match ended in a 2-2 draw, our third blemish of the season. On the positive side our young Belorussian signing Pavel Beganskiy had his efforts recognized by being named player of the month for October.

After a poor match a punching bag is just what is needed and we got that with Trier in the 2nd Round of the German Cup. Four goals in the first half sealed the contest. This victory propelled us to couple of strong wins in the 2.liga. Oberhausen fell 2-0 and the following week we defeated Lübeck 3:0 in their stadium. That good form brought us into our 3rd Round German Cup match against Mainz on their pitch. Utilizing the home advantage they got off to a strong start, scoring in the 2nd minute. Three goals midway in the first half put us up and Fabian Gerber being sent off appeared to seal the deal. Mainz, however, had other ideas. Before the half was over they had scored again to pull within a goal. Most of the second half was fought in the midfield, but our defense broke down against a side a man down in the 83rd minute when Mainz leveled the match. Looking very much like a match that would go the distance, we received a favorable hand-ball in the box call and Krzynowek converted the penalty in extra time to win the match. We go to the quarterfinals against Bochum who defeated Dortmund.

Our run of form continued in the 2.liga after the German Cup victory. Both Trier and Bielefeld fell 2-1 in successive weeks. Looking ahead to our German Cup match against Bochum, we dropped two points to Regensburg when they drew against us 2-2. So, along came our quarterfinal match against Bochum. After drop two goals to Hashemian and Diabang (we pulled one back on a Krzynowek penalty kick), the clocked ticked away and we were nearing full-time. Vlademir, who came on for Driller earlier, however had late game heroics in him. In the 89th minute he picked up a nice pass from Ghioanne and slotted it past the Bochum keeper to send the goal into extra time. Our travelling fans were through the roof, but it was very much an anti-climax. After using our three substitutes earlier in the match, we went down a man when Djenic came up lame in the opening extra time minutes. Bochum immediately pounced, scoring twice in the first 15 minutes to settle the issue. They were on to the semi-finals, were were on to the Winter Break.

During the winter break we were very active in the transfer market but the effort didn’t result in favorable outcomes. Many pursuits at Bosman signings simply were not interested in coming to Nuremburg. We would need to enhance our reputation before we got the quality players. Nevertheless, we weren’t entirely unproductive. Christian Hassa was bought from Karlsruhe for £26k. He’s a right sided midfielder who is a superb passer, has some quickness, but is weak on the ball. He is also known to the 1.FCN community having played a couple of seasons in the late 90s with the club, resulting in 38 appearances and a couple of goals. He’ll probably be a fringe player for us, but will be a decent third choice at the Bundesliga level. With a sizable lead in the league, he’ll probably see plenty of action to develop his skills for next year.

Leaving us during the Winter window was Wiblishauser for £400k (£300k deferred) to Rostock. We attempted to sign him to a new deal but his salary demands were not realistic. Djenic will probably spend the bulk of the time at left back for the 2nd half of the season. Both Dieter Frey and Sanneh will be joining Krzynowek in leaving us on a Bosman. We attempted to re-sign Sanneh but he was looking for a longer term deal than his 33 year-old body warranted. We didn’t attempt to re-sign Frey. Wiesner will see plenty of time at right back given our comfortable lead in the league.

In other news around football, the awards came out at the end of the year. Bayern Munich was represented with Kahn named European goalkeeper of the year, Rau European Defender of the Year, Ballack European midfielder of the Year and Makaay third choice as European striker of the year. Ronaldo was named World Player of the Year, Roberto Carlos World Footballer of the Year and Rio Ferdinand European Footballer of the Year. Germany was proud of Dortmund’s Jan Koller coming in third place for WFoY.

After a trip down to southern Italy to play a friendly against Napoli (1-1), we got the season back under way at home against 12th place Osnabrück. Hassa scored on his debut and it was all we needed. The big fireworks came out the following week when we absolutely demolished Karlsruhe 6:0. The game included five goals from Driller, three of which were assisted by strike partner Beganskiy. It was a Nuremburg record and probably one that won’t be exceeded.

The tanning we gave Karlsruhe went to our head. The following week fortunes were revered. It started off comfortable enough when we were up 2-0 at the half against Mainz, but we fell apart in the second half. Mainz opened the frame with a goal, but we kept that 2-1 edge until the 75th minute when they leveled the score on a Sarpei goal. Facing late match adversity before, I ordered my men to attack but it didn’t work. In fact it worked to our opponents advantage. They scored again in the 77th minute, the 83rd minute, and the 85th minute. Five unanswered goals from Mainz sent us down 5:2. So ends a 11 match unbeaten streak, but we remained eleven points ahead of 2nd place.

We redoubled our efforts in training the following week, but the end result didn’t change. We lose 1:0 to Aue in a boring match that saw only four shots - two from each side. Spring is a time for rebirth. If we didn’t change things it could be a time for dramatic death.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Holders - SC Freiburg

| 1st | | Nürnberg | | 22 | 16 | 3 | 3 | 45 | 16 | +29 | 51 |

| 2nd | | Ahlen | | 22 | 12 | 4 | 6 | 42 | 24 | +18 | 40 |

| 3rd | | Mainz | | 22 | 11 | 5 | 6 | 46 | 31 | +15 | 38 |

| 4th | | Duisburg | | 22 | 12 | 2 | 8 | 25 | 23 | +2 | 38 |

| 5th | | Bielefeld | | 21 | 10 | 4 | 7 | 42 | 37 | +5 | 34 |

| 6th | | Aachen | | 22 | 10 | 3 | 9 | 39 | 26 | +13 | 33 |

| 7th | | Aue | | 22 | 9 | 6 | 7 | 24 | 22 | +2 | 33 |

| 8th | | Lübeck | | 22 | 10 | 3 | 9 | 38 | 37 | +1 | 33 |

| 9th | | Karlsruhe | | 21 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 39 | 36 | +3 | 31 |

| 10th | | Greuther Fürth | | 22 | 9 | 3 | 10 | 31 | 33 | -2 | 30 |

| 11th | | Union Berlin | | 22 | 8 | 6 | 8 | 27 | 29 | -2 | 30 |

| 12th | | Osnabrück | | 22 | 9 | 2 | 11 | 38 | 49 | -11 | 29 |

| 13th | | Oberhausen | | 22 | 6 | 8 | 8 | 19 | 29 | -10 | 26 |

| 14th | | Trier | | 22 | 7 | 4 | 11 | 31 | 32 | -1 | 25 |

| 15th | | Cottbus | | 22 | 6 | 6 | 10 | 25 | 33 | -8 | 24 |

| 16th | | Burghausen | | 22 | 5 | 6 | 11 | 21 | 30 | -9 | 21 |

| 17th | | Unterhaching | | 22 | 5 | 6 | 11 | 24 | 39 | -15 | 21 |

| 18th | | Regensburg | | 22 | 3 | 4 | 15 | 16 | 46 | -30 | 13 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

1st in German Second Division

Squad Screen

| Pkd | Inf | Name | Apps | Gls | Asts | MoM | Pass | Tck | Drb | Sh Tar | Av R | Value|

| | | Driller, M* | 22 | 9 | 10 | 4 | 72 % | 0.30 | 0.35 | 64 % | 7.82 | £95K |

| | Loa | Ghioane, T | 17 (1) | 7 | 4 | 2 | 76 % | 3.96 | 0.45 | 56 % | 7.56 | £2.1M|

| FC | | Vittek, R | 12 (4) | 7 | 3 | 3 | 71 % | 1.16 | 2.86 | 66 % | 7.38 | £625K|

| SB6 | Trn | Krzynowek, J* | 13 (3) | 6 | 6 | 5 | 71 % | 4.10 | 2.01 | 68 % | 7.56 | £1.2M|

| SB7 | | Beganskiy, P | 15 | 5 | 6 | 3 | 59 % | 1.12 | 1.43 | 71 % | 8.00 | £2M |

| SB2 | | Kos, T* | 21 | 4 | 1 | 0 | 85 % | 1.57 | 0.05 | 92 % | 7.19 | £425K|

| SB5 | Yel | Tiffert, C | 17 (1) | 4 | 7 | 1 | 63 % | 3.28 | 1.80 | 42 % | 7.33 | £850K|

| FC | Fgn | Vlademir | 3 (8) | 4 | 0 | 0 | 70 % | 0.22 | 0.45 | 90 % | 6.73 | £210K|

| ML | | Müller, L | 4 (9) | 2 | 1 | 0 | 77 % | 2.51 | 0.94 | 50 % | 6.92 | £525K|

| DC | Wnt | Nikl, M | 7 (7) | 2 | 0 | 0 | 81 % | 1.64 | 0.33 | 100 % | 6.93 | £450K|

| | Fgn | Aidoo, L | 2 (5) | 1 | 1 | 0 | 73 % | 4.17 | 4.17 | 83 % | 7.14 | £1.6M|

| DL | Yel | Djenic, P | 19 (1) | 1 | 0 | 0 | 78 % | 2.67 | 0.82 | 64 % | 7.10 | £675K|

| MR | | Hassa, C | 3 (1) | 1 | 0 | 0 | 60 % | 4.74 | 0.39 | 100 % | 6.00 | £375K|

| | Inj | Kügler, M | 4 (4) | 1 | 1 | 0 | 63 % | 1.78 | 0.20 | 37 % | 6.38 | £250K|

| SB4 | | Mintal, M | 4 (8) | 1 | 1 | 0 | 82 % | 1.94 | 0.53 | 33 % | 6.92 | £700K|

| DC | Fgn | Pope, E | 23 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 81 % | 2.30 | 0.22 | 100 % | 6.78 | £350K|

| MC | | Svindal Larsen, T | 8 (13) | 1 | 3 | 0 | 77 % | 2.16 | 1.47 | 44 % | 7.00 | £375K|

| DR | Yel | Wiesner, C | 13 | 1 | 2 | 0 | 73 % | 2.62 | 0.85 | 50 % | 6.85 | £180K|

| SB3 | Trn | Frey, D | 5 (5) | 0 | 2 | 0 | 85 % | 2.82 | 0.18 | 25 % | 7.00 | £170K|

| MC | | Kukielka, M | 18 | 0 | 2 | 1 | 86 % | 3.01 | 0.30 | 52 % | 7.06 | £525K|

| GK | Loa | Nicht, K | 8 (1) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 49 % | - | - | - | 6.00 | £150K|

| | Fgn | Sanneh, A | 13 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 73 % | 2.81 | 0.63 | 100 % | 6.92 | £130K|

| SB1 | | Schäfer, R | 17 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 53 % | - | - | - | 6.53 | £150K|

| | | Stehle, T | 4 (1) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 72 % | 1.35 | 0.27 | - | 6.00 | £400K|

| | | Wolf, A | 0 (1) | 0 | 0 | 0 | - | - | - | - | 7.00 | £190K|

| | | | | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

Spring 2004

2.Liga

Back in December, when our lead in the 2.liga reached double digits, I began rotating out players on loan or who were leaving us for prospects whose contract the club controlled. Once the league resumed after the winter break the transformation was complete, with players like Kügler, Larsen and new signing Hassa seeing regular starts. This rotation ended up biting me on the ass when we dropped six points in consecutive weeks to end the winter session.

In response to this mini crisis, I brought players like Tiffert, Krzynowek and Ghioane back into the starting XI and also tightened up our tactics to conserve our eleven point lead in the league. In the following weeks our conservatism, while not flashy or fashionable, proved pragmatic. A twin bill of Bavarian opponents (Unterhaching and Burghausen) saw us leave with six points even though the scores were close (1-0 and 2-0 respectively). The following week we dropped two points away to Union Berlin, but coming away with a point was still acceptable. And so it continued. A 1-0 victory over rivals Greuther Fürth was followed by a 2-2 draw against high flyers Ahlen. Each match we were close to promotion and silverware. The following week a less than convicing 1-0 victory against the Zebras (Duisburg) saw us clinch promotion. So, out came the reserves and back into the shelf went our mercenaries. On the 29th matchday, away to Aachen, we clinched the league in decidely undramatic fashion (a scoreless draw), but my first mission was accomplished. We undoubtedly proved that the FC Nuremburg were a cut above the Second Division. Next year we will need to prove that we are more than a team that resides in the purgatory between Heaven and Hell.

Other Club News

We were not terribly active in the transfer market during the winter window, thought not due to lack of trying. So, when a scout came back with a gloving review on a Peruvian central midfielder creator that would cost us precisely that amount, I jumped at the chance. To be completed in July, we have conditionally signed 28 year-old Jean Franco Ferrari from Universitario for £1.8M. He’ll be the centerpiece of our attack next year.

To shore up our backline, I also signed another American to pair with Eddie Pope. On Pope’s recommendation we scouted David Stokes, a strong centerback from DC United, and liked what we saw. Especially the pricetag which was the bargain of £65k. He is unlikely to start for us in the Bundesliga, but adds much needed depth.

Pavel Beganskiy, our dynamic young Belorussian striker, was honored a second time as Player of the Month, this time for his February performance – three goals in three matches. He ended up this year with 19 appearances which was about right for his age (22). While I play him paired up with our target man, Martin Driller, because he has the speed to be a rapid striker, I project him to take Driller’s spot in the coming years. He has a great mentor in Driller who was deservedly honored as Fan’s Player of the Year.

Other Football News

It was Bayern’s year. They win both the Bundesliga and the Champions League – their fifth – after defeating Manchester United 2-0 at Westfalenstadion in revenge for the 1999 match. The only blemish on the season was a 2-1 extra-time loss to Hamburg in the German Cup.

Liverpool won a record 4th UEFA Cup in a 1-0 victory over Sporting Lisbon. Grønkjaer was the hero with his extra-time winner.

Chelsea won the FA Cup over Tottehnam

Hanover, Rostock and 1860 Munich were booted from the Bundesliga. It’s too bad for us that we cannot renew our rivalry against 1860.

Arsenal, Inter and Real Madrid were all champions in their respective leagues.

Summary

A tight tactical style saw 1.FCN grind through the final third of the league in consistent but conservative fashion. Promotion by matchday 28 and the league championship by matchday 29, gave us plenty of opportunities to rotate in reserve players to evaluate them for the coming year. Central midfielder Jean Franco Ferrari and central defender David Stokes were both signed for transfers in July. Mission one (promotion) was complete, but I was less successful in finding Bavarians to fill the ranks. I’ll earn my pay next year when I attempt mission two (stay up).

[This message was edited by Andrew K on 02 May 2004 at 19:45.]

Holders - Nürnberg

| 1st | C | Nürnberg | | 34 | 23 | 7 | 4 | 59 | 20 | +39 | 76 |

| 2nd | P | Aue | | 34 | 17 | 9 | 8 | 44 | 30 | +14 | 60 |

| 3rd | P | Ahlen | | 34 | 16 | 8 | 10 | 62 | 40 | +22 | 56 |

| 4th | | Bielefeld | | 34 | 16 | 8 | 10 | 62 | 51 | +11 | 56 |

| 5th | | Duisburg | | 34 | 16 | 6 | 12 | 47 | 42 | +5 | 54 |

| 6th | | Mainz | | 34 | 15 | 8 | 11 | 67 | 54 | +13 | 53 |

| 7th | | Lübeck | | 34 | 15 | 8 | 11 | 54 | 46 | +8 | 53 |

| 8th | | Karlsruhe | | 34 | 14 | 10 | 10 | 59 | 55 | +4 | 52 |

| 9th | | Cottbus | | 34 | 12 | 10 | 12 | 45 | 43 | +2 | 46 |

| 10th | | Union Berlin | | 34 | 11 | 13 | 10 | 38 | 40 | -2 | 46 |

| 11th | | Greuther Fürth | | 34 | 13 | 6 | 15 | 45 | 49 | -4 | 45 |

| 12th | | Aachen | | 34 | 11 | 9 | 14 | 50 | 45 | +5 | 42 |

| 13th | | Osnabrück | | 34 | 12 | 3 | 19 | 59 | 81 | -22 | 39 |

| 14th | | Trier | | 34 | 10 | 7 | 17 | 45 | 53 | -8 | 37 |

| 15th | R | Oberhausen | | 34 | 9 | 10 | 15 | 30 | 49 | -19 | 37 |

| 16th | R | Burghausen | | 34 | 7 | 10 | 17 | 35 | 53 | -18 | 31 |

| 17th | R | Unterhaching | | 34 | 7 | 10 | 17 | 36 | 60 | -24 | 31 |

| 18th | R | Regensburg | | 34 | 8 | 6 | 20 | 39 | 65 | -26 | 30 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

1st in German Second Division

Squad Screen

| Pkd | Inf | Name | Apps | Gls | Asts | MoM | Pass | Tck | Drb | Sh Tar | Av R | Value|

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| | | Beganskiy, P | 19 (1) | 10 | 6 | 7 | 60 % | 1.21 | 1.15 | 70 % | 8.15 | £4.5M|

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| | | Driller, M* | 27 | 10 | 11 | 5 | 73 % | 0.37 | 0.33 | 60 % | 7.74 | £130K|

| | | Vittek, R* | 20 (6) | 8 | 4 | 4 | 71 % | 0.97 | 2.66 | 58 % | 7.15 | £625K|

| | Loa | Ghioane, T | 19 (1) | 7 | 5 | 2 | 75 % | 3.74 | 0.46 | 58 % | 7.50 | £2.1M|

| | Trn | Krzynowek, J* | 20 (3) | 6 | 8 | 5 | 70 % | 3.75 | 1.71 | 54 % | 7.48 | £2.5M|

| | Fgn | Vlademir | 10 (10) | 6 | 1 | 0 | 71 % | 0.76 | 0.34 | 83 % | 6.75 | £425K|

| | | Kos, T | 23 (1) | 4 | 1 | 0 | 86 % | 1.49 | 0.09 | 92 % | 7.17 | £650K|

| | Wnt | Tiffert, C | 19 (1) | 4 | 8 | 1 | 65 % | 3.14 | 1.77 | 40 % | 7.30 | £575K|

| | | Kukielka, M | 29 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 85 % | 2.75 | 0.41 | 57 % | 7.10 | £1.1M|

| | Wnt | Nikl, M | 18 (8) | 3 | 0 | 0 | 85 % | 1.49 | 0.21 | 100 % | 6.96 | £900K|

| | | Djenic, P | 29 (1) | 2 | 4 | 1 | 79 % | 2.53 | 0.86 | 75 % | 7.10 | £1.4M|

| | | Müller, L | 5 (10) | 2 | 1 | 0 | 75 % | 2.35 | 0.92 | 50 % | 6.93 | £975K|

| | Fgn | Aidoo, L | 2 (5) | 1 | 1 | 0 | 73 % | 4.17 | 4.17 | 83 % | 7.14 | £1.6M|

| | | Hassa, C | 5 (5) | 1 | 0 | 0 | 70 % | 4.02 | 0.37 | 50 % | 6.50 | £725K|

| | | Kügler, M | 6 (5) | 1 | 1 | 0 | 65 % | 1.86 | 0.29 | 33 % | 6.36 | £475K|

| | | Mintal, M | 10 (13) | 1 | 1 | 0 | 79 % | 2.09 | 0.24 | 25 % | 6.78 | £1.4M|

| | Fgn | Pope, E | 26 (1) | 1 | 0 | 0 | 80 % | 2.32 | 0.20 | 100 % | 6.74 | £675K|

| | | Svindal Larsen, T | 13 (17) | 1 | 3 | 0 | 81 % | 2.35 | 1.55 | 34 % | 7.03 | £800K|

| | Inj | Wiesner, C | 22 | 1 | 3 | 0 | 72 % | 2.70 | 0.79 | 55 % | 6.77 | £350K|

| | Loa | Blazek, L | 6 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 77 % | 2.60 | 0.60 | - | 7.00 | £130K|

| | Trn | Frey, D | 5 (5) | 0 | 2 | 0 | 85 % | 2.82 | 0.18 | 25 % | 7.00 | £325K|

| | Req | Kampa, D | 8 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 55 % | - | - | - | 6.88 | £600K|

| | Loa | Müller, S | 0 (4) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 81 % | 1.00 | - | - | 7.00 | £120K|

| | Loa | Nicht, K | 10 (2) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 50 % | - | - | - | 6.25 | £325K|

| | Loa | Paulus, T | 0 (5) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 92 % | 1.13 | - | - | 6.80 | £200K|

| | Inj | Sanneh, A | 16 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 73 % | 2.97 | 0.57 | 100 % | 7.00 | £250K|

| | | Schäfer, R | 20 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 54 % | - | - | - | 6.50 | £300K|

| | | Stehle, T | 13 (3) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 73 % | 1.17 | 0.47 | - | 6.19 | £475K|

| | Loa | Taouil, M | 6 (1) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 53 % | 3.30 | 2.92 | 16 % | 7.00 | £325K|

| | | Wolf, A | 8 (2) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 81 % | 2.06 | 0.13 | - | 6.80 | £400K|

| | | | | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

Archived