Very sceptic and concerned

Hello guys

First of all I have to mention that I am a loyal fan of the series since Cm 97/98 having every single boxed version of the game and I have no problem posting photos from my collection at any time you like

As my topic says I am very sceptic and concerned about this year's release

Let me explain myself

It's been already a month since the announcement of the release date of our beloved game but it's already October and what he have until now?Just a single teaser..Nothing else..

Of course SI people said we won't have anything till mid October but let me tell you something..Is this marketing when we know almost nothing for the game that we have to buy or basically preorder??

Some will come and say that I am not forced to preorder the game or wait and see etc..And of course I am not willing to preorder a product that I do not know any features yet..I think it is common sense..You don't buy/preorder something you don't know anything about it..

Till now I was buying the game with closed eyes as said earlier but after the last 2 year releases I am concerned and won't do the same thing again and I am sure lots of people will do the same..

From the teaser we learnt that there will be 1500+ new features which are some revamps that are baptised "new" as it happened witht the previous versions..Not a single word about the MATCH ENGINE which is the most important thing of the game

I don't want to make an avatar to look like myself since match engine is broken which it is as SI admitted for FM16..As I remember they said that it was not possible to get fixed for FM16 because the code is so complex blah blah...Well if it is broken don't release the game, or just release a data update till you fix the most important element of a game...We want a football sim which means better match engine...That's what big companies do..Even if they bring something out with problems they try to fix it as soon as possible...Not to mention that we have to wait till the last patch around March to say that we have a bug-less game...So we pay for a game on November to play it in March and you know what I mean and please don't tell me that the game is 100% playable out of the box or even after 1 patch

So to tell you straight if the teaser was just about match engine and how much it is improved the I would have preorderd the game

I don't know why there is so much mysticism with FM2017 since you have the monopoly of this gerne...My only hope and explanation is that you might bring something really improved, and something really new and fresh..

Otherwise it might cost you not only the current loyal customers but the future ones too and the marketing strategy you are following will fail..

No offesne

A loyal fan (till now)

I hear you. I just think SI is trying a different marketing approach this year. I understand your concerns regarding the broken FM16 ME, but I am hopeful that they have been working their socks off, attempting to better the ME for FM17, and for future versions.

I will wait until the features are announced and the game eventually comes out before I pass my judgment. If the final product is good, I couldnt care less about the marketing techniques SI uses. They are entitled to use whichever method brings them more $$ and fair play to them. It is a business at the end of the day. Simple

ME stuff en detail has never been part of the promotion gig. I think the earliest was 3d footage in about August/September 2011 for FM 2012 in more recent years, which basically was just highlight reels (to get the excitement going and show off improved player animations). It never is as only the hardcore would get it, the casual may not even be aware of the actually ins and out and actually issues, and the promotion has never focused on that. Talking about that "hardcore"...

I'm curious too what they'll do about it, I actually think the AI tactics would need quite improvements too. But not concerned about the lack of info so far as such as there will be a demo as usual contrary to most of modern releases (and admittedly, I'm most hyped up for Dishonored 2 this fall, as should you) :-) . It's also typically patched up as soon as one rolls out too. Talking hardcore and one of the more common sources of frustration and criticism even from regulars, just as an example: the many complaints of supposedly killer finishing of AI sides and poor of your own, and all of it being random etc. I'd expect that to only improve for everyone who doesn't look for the quite simple causes, in particular as traditionally any attacks on the break after overcomitting players forward have been a tad toothless, and SI seem on a mission to improve that year on year, same as defending or defending in general of packed teams that are attacked with zero width or movement and attempted to just overrun in numbers. Which naturally goes two ways, as AI managers opposing your team or anybody in the save can engage in stuff too. Main point being you'll never see any that covered in any of the promotion runs even if it were altered and improved, as that's going into detail that is beyond it. There was zero public fanfare even for iterations that saw big rewrites of entire sections of the match code. It has always focused on showing some match highlights. And eventually you can only gauge it from actually playing yourself. Luckily though, as argued, so far there's always been demos.

5 hours ago, Alekos said:

I don't want to make an avatar to look like myself since match engine is broken which it is as SI admitted for FM16

Can you please provide a link to an actual post or article written by someone from SI that states the ME is broken?

SI will never come out and admit it mate. At the end of the day, the ME in FM16 is well and truly 'broken' IMO. Crossing and Fullbacks ruin the realism for me. Never have I experienced such a lopsided ME after the final patch.

I'm not saying their marketing or PR strategy is great because I don't think it is myself but there is no point making a bigger deal of things than they are.

They are giving you 20% off if you have been a regular player of the game which is grand and I have bought it, in my opinion if you are a regular player of the game you know what you are going to expect - maybe one feature of note alongside stability improvements and minor features. Basically it's going to follow the same premise and it's going to be an improvement. In context of the utility in terms of the price FM is one of the best products I buy every single year. I get hundreds of hours of enjoyment for €30/40.

If you don't like their marketing strategy wait until you know more and buy it then.

I'm really hoping for an improved online option in terms of searching for games to play with others and I really long for the return of an FM Live type concept.

With regard the match engine being broken I don't think any of us (myself included) probably understand how complex it is to try and create an organic game of football on a computer as there are so many complexities and they do a good job.

7 minutes ago, Preveza said:

SI will never come out and admit it mate. At the end of the day, the ME in FM16 is well and truly 'broken' IMO. Crossing and Fullbacks ruin the realism for me. Never have I experienced such a lopsided ME after the final patch.

Sorry but this is nonsense and speculation on their behalf. When people start making stuff up about SI, we draw the line

Closing this thread

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

Can you please provide a link to an actual post or article written by someone from SI that states the ME is broken?

I remember seeing that post to, it was about the wingbacks being to OP and they could not fix it in FM16

Just now, Herbie2100 said:

I remember seeing that post to, it was about the wingbacks being to OP and they could not fix it in FM16

They wanted to improve full back defending, but that it could't be looked at in FM16, not sure how that in any way translates to a broken ME as the OP states

35 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

When people start making stuff up about SI, we draw the line

TMS has (rightly) closed this thread now, I just wanted to add that this is exactly why I asked the OP to provide a link to where SI have stated "the ME is broken", which of course won't happen because SI have never made any such statement.

The OP writing about their own opinion of the game is fine, it's their opinion after all, but stating that SI admit the ME broken is how myths are started and then snowball out of control, which is where the line gets crossed.

For reference, this is what SI have actually stated about this year's ME:  https://community.sigames.com/topic/369660-football-manager-2016-1630-feedback-thread/?do=findComment&comment=330890

It's not "SI admitting the ME is broken" is it.

Archived