Ragusa to riches (the toe-end of the boot)

nerf

Hi, i'm relativly new to the forums, but not to cm icon_wink.gif

This is my second spell on the forums in fact, having first signed on as josemi_le_god (a spanish striker who scored bucket fulls for my crewe team). I remember reading a story by Andrew Downing, focusing on his Elgin side. It was wonderfuly well written and I could not envisage any story reaching a par with it, let alone eclipsing its acheivement. However, reading of Ragusa's rise from C2 to - well C1, has recaptured my love of a good CM story. I hope this story continues on its effortlessly meandering way through the depths of Italian football. A thouroughly enjoyable read. icon_smile.gif

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you GoT, smiller, Hank and bartley. Has it really been four months? Actually it feels like longer icon_wink.gif

Monday 1st September 2009

An extremely pleasing way to start the new league campaign, and away from home at that. The midfield pairing of Gaspare Pellegrino and Carlo Mignani constantly made life difficult for Mantova, hurrying and harrassing, buzzing and irritating. I lost count of the number of times Carlo got a foot in to interrupt Mantova's play.

Elsewhere on the opening day, Viterbese smashed Messina 8-0 at the Enrico Rocchi in Viterbo. Five players got in on the act for the home side, including a hattrick for promising 18 year old forward Stefano Cioffi.

Wednesday 10th September 2008

Back to the Coppa Italia with a touch of trepidation, as barely a fortnight after the sale of Stuart Attewell suddenly three of our remaining four centre backs become unavailable. Santos and Alderuccio both picked up injuries this week while Enrico Capuano is suspended following his harsh dismissal in Treviso, meaning that Simone Tamburro will have to be drafted into an unfamiliar position to partner Stefano Fumagalli. Pavel Grznar slots in at left back to complete the weakened defence, not exactly giving us the best platform from which to face Serie B opposition in front of their 11,765 home fans. On the plus side, Alessandro Volpe has recovered from a knock picked up in Mantova and can retain his place on the left.

Coppa Italia Group F

Empoli v Ragusa

Ragusa lineup - Van Strattan; Grznar, Fumagalli, Tamburro©, Sabellini; Volpe, Mignani, Pellegrino, Di Nicola; Marino, Baggio.

Empoli were in the Serie A last season and possess ambitions of a swift return. Boosted by maximum points from their other two group matches, they no doubt approached this match against less favoured opposition with some confidence, so it was pleasing that we were able to contain them well for the first ten minutes, even going as far as striking the first shot on target.

On fourteen minutes, however, a long throw into the Ragusa penalty area caused havoc, the relied-upon aerial power of Capuano and Santos was conspicuous by its absence, and Empoli's Francesco Lodi stole in at the far post to become the beneficiary via a kind bounce. One-nil.

The domination that I was fearing did not follow, we gave as good as we got for the rest of the half. Eddy Baggio came closest to sniffing out an equaliser when he latched onto Volpe's immacculate ball over the top, but Empoli's defence closed in on him efficiently and the opportunity passed.

At the half-time whistle I gave Marco Locatelli the nod to warm up in time for the second half, when he would replace the sluggish Pavel Grznar in defence. If the young left-back's inexperience had anything to with what followed then the mistake is all mine, as Empoli raced into three-nil lead by blitzing us twice within six minutes after the substitution was made and play was resumed. First Luca Saudati rose to head home a corner, again exploiting a lack of competition in the air inside our box, then teammate Franco Inchingolo showed a well-honed dead-ball technique as he swept a free-kick over the wall beyond Jess van Strattan's desperate grasp.

I made some more changes after the third goal, pushing Di Nicola up front, replacing Mignani with Orlando and withdrawing Marino to put Antonio Matera on at right wing. It was the latter who made a difference and helped us to gain some consolation in the 73rd minute, when he battled hard down the right, forced the ball inside to Eddy Baggio, and the striker's effort had just enough power on it to carry it through the goalkeeper.

Final score: Empoli 3 - 1 Ragusa

I was glad we were able to claw one back, giving the scoreline a bit more respectability to it. I can only wonder how we might have done if our first-choice defenders had been on the pitch; Tamburro simply isn't a centreback, Fumagalli and Sabellini tried extra hard to fill the gaps but couldn't, and Empoli were more than good enough to exploit our shortcomings.

Despite the fact that the better team won, and were expected to do so, there are some positives to be taken from the performance against strong opposition and slight consolation to be gained from the fact that Treviso's 1-0 win at Livorno was not enough to shift us out of second position in the final group standings.

Sunday 14th September 2008

Viterbese are the visitors for our return to our primary focus of the league, opponents who arrive in southern Sicily on the back of an astonishing 8-0 victory in their opening fixture. Such early exhibitions denote a team eager and capable to improve on their previous season's finishing position of eleventh, although they will have to do so without hat-trick boy Cioffi's name on the teamsheet today.

In contrast we eagerly welcome Enrico Capuano back into the lineup, although Santos is still not 100% fit so Simone Tamburro maintains his place in the team, now in the more familiar role of left-back. Luca Orlando starts in midfield, allowing the hard-working Carlo Mignani a brief respite.

Serie C1/B Fixture #02

Ragusa v Viterbese

Ragusa lineup - Van Strattan; Tamburro©, Fumagalli, Capuano, Sabellini; Volpe, Orlando, Pellegrino, Di Nicola; Marino, Baggio.

If Viterbese found it easy-going against Sicilian opponents in their previous match, they would find no such luxury this afternoon. The first half revealed a boisterous Ragusa backed by a full home crowd and the edge was definitely ours. Even more so, we backed this up with goals. In the twenty-fifth and thirty-eighth minutes Luca Orlando provided instant repayment for his restoration in the starting lineup, supplying all the ground work and the guile necessary to place the ball onto Eddy Baggio's forehead, twice, resulting in one bullet header and one deft flick that created a two-goal cushion before half-time.

At the break I took the opportunity to give Nicola Marino a rest, moving Giancarlo Di Nicola back into attack and bringing Carlo Mignani on at right midfield. The third goal was instigated on the right through Danilo Sabellini's 65th minute chip into the area, Eddy Baggio used his head yet again to nod the ball down, and the dangerous Di Nicola showed a striker's instinct to nip in ahead of defender and goalkeeper to poke it home. It was left to Volpe to cap a very positive win with a penalty kick four minutes from time.

Final score: Ragusa 4 - 0 Viterbese

Tuesday 16th September 2008

"Molto bene, Bona!"

My praise and encouragement in support of Alessandro Bonaffini's efforts in a five-a-side session probably falls on deaf ears, coming as it does mere hours following the club's decision to reject Alessandro's request for an extension to his contract. The popular and likeable 27 year old midfielder made it clear that he wished to commit his future to Ragusa, despite first-team opportunities being limited at best. Six years ago Alessandro was very much in the frame, but now the callous truth is that there's simply no mutually-beneficial future for him here.

The incident arrives as yet further proof of the club's progression, something that I have been reflecting upon of late. Take the Coppa Italia, for example. In a group of four we competed with three Serie B outfits and finished a merited second, only behind a team that was competing in Serie A last year. In the league, meanwhile, we have taken on two of the stronger teams in Serie C1/B and have emerged with six points, eight goals and an early grasp on first place. Three, even two years ago this would have been unthinkable.

Our hard work over the summer has yielded some early rewards - so far, at least. The new signings have infused the first eleven with a bit of extra class and the clinging disappointment of May has been replaced by resurfacing optimism. The mood is good, contractual issues aside.

Wednesday 17th September 2008

Teramo arrive today for the first round of the Serie C Cup. Over my few years in Italy I have really grown to dislike this rush of early season cup fixtures, clogging up our midweek schedules when we have the crucial opening stages of a league campaign to focus on. I suppose that at least we are at home in the first leg, and Teramo haven't started to season well, losing both games to Lanciano and newly promoted Forlí.

Taking a more positive view, I am in fact able to find a better use for this inconvenient fixture, which is to give some of the less regular players some necessary match practice. Tamburro, Matera, Costagliola, Chiavarini, Gallicchio, Grznar and Lenea have all been either injured or on the bench for most of the last few weeks, struggling for match fitness as a result. All will start tonight, allowing the likes of Baggio, Sabellini, Volpe and Pellegrino to be rested.

Serie C Cup 1st round 1st Leg

Ragusa v Teramo

Ragusa lineup - Lenea; Tamburro©, Fumagalli, Capuano, Grznar; Matera, Mignani, Gallicchio, Chiavarini; Di Nicola, Costagliola.

It's difficult to deny that there is something special about the Di Nicola / Costagliola partnership. After Di Nicola had opened the scoring in the fifth minute, looping the ball over the goalkeeper following some clever play from Carlo Mignani, Giancarlo turned provider to help his striker partner make it two inside a scorching first ten minutes. Matera's pass looked overhit, but Giancarlo reached it, got to the byline, and instinctively knew how to find Costagliola by hooking the ball low across the six yard box. An easy far post tap-in for Massimo completed a nightmare start for Teramo.

It didn't get much better for the visitors. We dominated the first half and Costagliola made it 3-0 before the break, this time without Di Nicola's help. Enrico Capuano made an excellent tackle and sent a long ball upfield, Costagliola was alive to make the most of hesitation by Zanolla in the Teramo defence, and his second goal of the game came courtesy of a well-struck effort across the goalkeeper.

Di Nicola departed at half-time, conserving his energies for the coming weekend, and Nicola Marino shared the duties by pairing up with Costagliola for the second half. With the game as good as won already, we relaxed and took the rest of the match relatively easy. Pavel Grznar was enjoying himself at right back, putting in one of his best performances for a long time, but he relaxed a little too much in the final minutes and played Fumagalli into trouble with a dodgy square ball. Teramo's Bartolini nipped in, found himself one-v-one with the goalkeeper and a consolation goal in his sights, but Giuseppe Lenea stayed big and reacted quickly to get down to parry the low shot.

Final score: Ragusa 3 - 0 Teramo

Sunday 21st September 2008

If we are feeling happy with our start to the season, Lecco will no doubt be equally pleased with theirs. Respective 4-0 and 2-0 wins in the league, followed up by a 5-0 hammering of Alto Adige in the midweek cup game, will have gone some way to bolsering the confidence of our hosts today. Flying highest of all is former Roma and Italy striker Marco Delvecchio, who at 35 years old still had the necessary talent to fire in a hat-trick on Wednesday evening.

Serie C1/B Fixture #03

Lecco v Ragusa

Ragusa lineup - Van Strattan; Tamburro©, Fumagalli, Capuano, Sabellini; Volpe, Mignani, Pellegrino, Di Nicola; Marino, Baggio.

The opening twenty minutes promised a very tight and evenly balanced encounter, though unlikely to set the footballing world alight in terms of style and entertainment. Of the two sides we had arguably threatened the most, particularly when a header by Eddy Baggio produced a good save from the home side's goalkeeper, but Lecco made the most telling contribution on 27 minutes. Prolific Polish striker Piotr Matys looked up thirty yards from goal and launched a stunning strike with his right foot, then deliriously sprinted away to the corner flag after seeing his effort nestle nicely in the top corner of the net.

The team came in at half-time feeling slightly hard done by, having matched Lecco stride for stride on their own turf. Looking to gain an edge in the second half, I sent Luca Orlando on to replace Carlo Mignani in midfield, hoping to be more attack-minded in the centre and up the tempo of our passing. Unfortunately it didn't transpire. Luca did well but we still lacked ideas in attack, which is surprising considering the number of goals we have been scoring recently.

This was even more disappointing considering the magnificent way Enrico Capuano was performing at the back, where he had Marco Delvecchio in his pocket. The former Roma man was shut out of the game, limited to one wild effort over the bar and no better, and was becoming increasingly frustrated with such an effective man-marking job. Sadly the blunt performances in front of Enrico, which were not even stirred by the introduction of Costagliola and Gallicchio late on, meant that his hard work was ultimately wasted and Matys' rocket proved enough to take the points.

Final score: Lecco 1 - 0 Ragusa

Wednesday 24th September 2008

Our second away trip in four days brings us to Teramo for the second leg of the Serie C Cup first round, feeling safe in the knowledge that we bring with us a three-goal cushion to comfort any travel weariness. Any other weariness will only come from lack of match practice, as again we take the chance to give a few of the fringe players a run-out in the half-empty Comunale tonight.

Serie C Cup 1st round 2nd Leg

Teramo v Ragusa

Ragusa lineup - Lenea; Santos, Fumagalli, Alderuccio, Grznar; Matera, Pellegrino©, Gallicchio, Chiavarini; Di Nicola, Costagliola.

I would have expected a muted display in this midweek matter-of-course matchup. Nothing special, a comfortable aggregate lead, no tension, no pressure. Instead, what should have been standard fare was transformed into a memorable spectacle by a clearly revitalised Giancarlo Di Nicola. The sight of his long range free-kick thumping the upright in the 12th minute signalled some promise, but nothing quite prepared us for what was to come fifteen minutes later.

It started in the 27th minute, when Pavel Grznar dug out a cross from the right wing and Di Nicola soared high to nod it into the net. 1-0. Teramo had barely gathered their wits after the restart of play when Giancarlo was at it again, racing onto Costagliola's knock-down to leave defenders trailing and finish emphatically. 2-0. The astonishing blitz was completed with Giancarlo's third goal in six minutes, in the spectacular form of a viciously swerving effort from a full thirty yards, that dipped and evaded the goalkeeper's desperate grasp. 3-0. An absolutely stunning hattrick displaying the full range of his talents.

Di Nicola and Antonio Matera, far and away the two best players on the pitch, earned themselves an early rest in the security of a six-goal advantage, making way for Nicola Marino and a rare appearance for Stefano Guastella. The second half simply contained nothing of note, played out in front of a stunned home crowd.

Final score: Teramo 0 - 3 Ragusa (Ragusa win 6-0 on aggregate)

Sunday 28th September 2008

Back up north in Lecco, Marco Delvecchio delighted in the freedom of being released from Enrico Capuano's shackles and returned to the scoresheet once more, adding a goal to complement Piotr Matys' opener as Lecco ran out 2-0 winners over Viterbese. Lecco's continued good form still isn't enough to cement top spot however, as Trento's similar two goal victory over Biellese earned them a fourth clean sheet and fourth victory from their four league fixtures so far.

As we prepare to depart for Fano for our third away game in a row, we learn that the draw for the second round of the Serie C Cup has pitted us against Serie C1/A outfit Foggia, the first leg to be played in Foggia on the 15th October.

Monday 29th September 2008

Our third consecutive match away from home takes us to Fano, though there is small cause for travel sickness today. The long haul north to Lecco last week makes today's trip across to Italy's east coast seem like a hop and a jump in comparison, hearts warmed by the sight of the sparkling Adriatic laid out before us as we descend the slopes of the Appennino Umbra-Marchigiano.

Moreover, spirits remain high. The recent away trips have helped to rebuild a strong team ethic and allow the newer arrivals to settle in quickly with the group, a task made easier by strong form and positive performances. Hopefully we can continue to turn them into victories today, when we visit a team struggling in 17th position without a win from their first three league fixtures.

The events of midweek mean that I can no longer ignore Giancarlo Di Nicola in a striker's role, a position from which he displaces Nicola Marino this evening, and Antonio Matera's impressive display in Teramo earns him the right to keep a berth in midfield for his first ever league start.

Serie C1/B Fixture #04

Fano v Ragusa

Ragusa lineup - Van Strattan; Tamburro©, Fumagalli, Capuano, Sabellini; Volpe, Orlando, Mignani, Matera; Di Nicola, Baggio.

With Gaspare Pellegrino being rested on the bench, Luca Orlando and Carlo Mignani took the opportunity to stake their claims in the highly contested midfield. Carlo was the main architecht of the evening's opening goal, enlivening an otherwise sombre first half in the 33rd minute with a typically industrious piece of play, winning possession, dribbling wide, and then picking out Giancarlo Di Nicola in the centre for the forward's fourth goal in two games. Allowed free reign to make regular bursts forward from the centre of midfield, Carlo was making the difference.

Di Nicola hit the side-netting just before the half-time whistle, then at the break Baggio and Orlando made way for the direct replacements of Massimo Costagliola and Gaspare Pellegrino. Gaspare quickly set about exerting his own influence on the game, which combined with the bright Mignani enabled us to devastate Fano's midfield and take a firmer grip of the game in the second half.

It's always satisfying when substitutions go to plan, fortunate as I was to be blessed with that rare touch tonight. Costagliola made his impact in the 74th minute, rising powerfully at the near post to flick home Di Nicola's corner with his head. Shortly afterwards Simone Tamburro, who had put in a solid performance at left-back, handed the captain's armband to Pellegrino when he was replaced by the Brazilian defender Santos, who then promptly added a third headed goal as he towered high in the penalty area to conclusively meet Matera's corner five minutes from time.

Final score: Fano 0 - 3 Ragusa

Very pleasing indeed. Giancarlo Di Nicola performed especially well on his continued return to the attack, linking up well with Costagliola and earning man-of-the-match accolades to go with his goal and assist. Gaspare Pellegrino was also fantastic in the second half, back to his best in a superb forty-five minute display that ensured Fano were never able to even threaten our defence, reducing the likes of Capuano and Van Strattan to mere spectators.

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday 5th October 2008

The reassuring comforts of a full Aldo Campo Selvaggio are more than welcome after a fortnight on the road, boosting our confidence in the face of a tricky fixture against Ternana. Our northern opponents, boasting former Fiorentina anchorman Sandro Cois in the holding role in midfield, are yet to lose in their first five games and are averaging three goals per outing, making them the top scorers in the division and a dangerous prospect.

Costagliola, Pellegrino and Santos all return to the starting lineup as reward for their substitute performances on Monday night; indeed it is the same side that dominated Fano in the second half which takes to the field for kick-off this afternoon.

Serie C1/B Fixture #05

Ragusa v Ternana

Ragusa lineup - Van Strattan; Santos, Fumagalli, Capuano, Sabellini; Volpe, Pellegrino©, Mignani, Matera; Di Nicola, Costagliola.

A recent glut of goals has filled Ternana with obvious confidence and they set off today with more in their sights. For us, it was a simply horrible start. Carlo Mignani lasted a whole two minutes before he slowly retired from the pitch under the physio's supervision, suspecting cracked ribs following an accidental but jarring midfield collision. Luca Orlando took his place.

Within six minutes Ternana thought they had another goal to add to their tally, only for the linesman to raise his flag and claim offside. It was tight, and the away bench were up in arms, but the decision went our way. Unfortunately there was no such reprieve in the ninth minute, when Ternana's Albanian midfielder Arjan Bellai rocketed the ball past van Strattan with such force that if the net hadn't held it there could have been casualties. 1-0 down and the first ten minutes had been dominated by the visitors - not the most promising of starts.

Then, out of the pale October sky, a revolution. The thirteenth minute, our first corner of the game taken by Antonio Matera, Di Nicola's lithe frame guided a downward header off the base of the post, and Costagliola was the man on the spot to sweep it home on the turn. Oh how things changed. You can talk about turning points until you are blue in the face, but never before have I seen a game change on a sixpence quite like this one.

The early equaliser lit a fuse in the Aldo Campo and the home fans saw their side spring into life. Ternana had blustered their way through the opening ten minutes but suddenly the rug was pulled out from beneath them. In the 24th minute Alessandro Volpe controlled a Santos throw-in and whipped in an inviting low cross for Di Nicola to ping the ball home off the inside of a post, and that was just the start of it. Four minutes later Luca Orlando got in on the act from another well-delivered Matera corner, leaping amongst a group of players to glance in goal number three with his forehead.

Ternana were caught in a whirlwind of Ragusa players, attacked whichever way they turned. Three minutes more and we had a fourth, Massimo Costagliola bagging his second of the game and fifth of the season, when Matera played him through the centre and his shot carried enough on it to squirm through the shellshocked goalkeeper and trickle over the line. Not wanting to be outdone by his partner in crime, Giancarlo Di Nicola completed the five-goal blitz with his second thanks to a spectacular cross from Luca Orlando and an accurate downward header.

In twenty devastating minutes Ternana had witnessed a 1-0 lead transform into a 1-5 deficit. Six shots, five on target, five goals, one absolute dream of a recovery. Luca Orlando was flourishing in the freedom of being given license to drive forward in the knowledge that the continuously impressive Pellegrino was holding firm behind him, while Antonio Matera and Giancarlo Di Nicola were full of creativity and more than capable of providing the ammunition. A four goal half-time cushion brings its luxuries, however, and I took the opportunity to continue my cotton-wool treatment of Giancarlo Di Nicola, immediately withdrawing his injury-prone legs from the fray to let Nicola Marino off the leash in his place.

As had been the case in Teramo two weeks ago, such a first-half destruction resulted in a subdued and relaxed second half. Massimo Costagliola took the opportunity to celebrate his first league start of the season by completing his hat-trick just after the hour mark, lethal with his head when presented with an accurate Alessandro Volpe cross. That was Volpe's last action of the afternoon, his second assist earning himself an early rest to give Franco Chiavarini some rare playing time.

It all got a bit too embarassing for the visitors to stomach as Ternana winger Tiziano Maggiolini entertained the home fans with some touchline dramatics on the event of his substitution, throwing a tantrum at his own manager before he stormed off to the changing rooms with mocking whistles in his ears. Team-mate Francesco Diana retained his composure to net a consolation goal for the visitors in the final seconds, but it failed to spoil a great afternoon for the Ragusa supporters.

Final score: Ragusa 6 - 2 Ternana

Wednesday 8th October 2008

The Aldo Campo is refilled for the second time in four days, and Sunday's celebrations are still echoing around the place as Teramo are the next to step into the breach. Our victims in the cup have made a decidedly less impressive start to the season than Ternana had, having lost three of their opening five. The only change to our side today is due to Gaspare Pellegrino's fourth yellow card and resulting one-match suspension, bringing Luca Orlando into the starting lineup alongside a relieved Carlo Mignani sans any rib damage.

Serie C1/B Fixture #06

Ragusa v Teramo

Ragusa lineup - Van Strattan; Santos, Fumagalli©, Capuano, Sabellini; Volpe, Orlando, Mignani, Matera; Di Nicola, Costagliola.

I have no clue as to what the reason may be, but for the second home match in a row we got off to a poor start. In fact, it took as little as two minutes for Teramo's Boudouma to steal in and open the scoring. However, with the events of Sunday fresh in our memories, Teramo should have known they were asking for trouble. Like a confident cat scorning an upstart mouse, we gave them a quizzical look and set them straight in the form of three first half goals.

The Di Nicola and Costagliola show clicked into gear to give today's visitors a mere taste of what it must have felt like to be Ternana on Sunday. Giancarlo rammed home the rebound from Volpe's saved penalty, then linked up with his strike partner to allow Massimo to give us the lead on 30 minutes, and then the former rounded off the first half with a curling twenty yard free-kick into the roof of the net.

Di Nicola thought he had a hat-trick early in the second half when he tucked away a cross from Costagliola, only for it to be ruled out for offside. Instead, it fell to the re-emerging Alessandro Volpe to make it 4-1 in the 64th minute, smashing a vicious left-foot drive into the net after Costagliola had nodded Di Nicola's cross into his path.

Shortly afterwards the evening was tainted a little. Continuing my policy of resting Giancarlo Di Nicola whenever I can, I subbed him and Santos for Marino and Tamburro minutes after the fourth goal. Giancarlo made an expression of displeasure as his number was raised, then strode head down towards the changing room rather than approach the dugout, avoiding eye contact. This was more than just frustration at seeing his hat-trick effort ruled out. I made a mental note to have a word.

Final score: Ragusa 4 - 1 Teramo

Thursday 9th October 2008

Harbouring an intense fear of repeating past mistakes, I have recently made the decision to protect Giancarlo Di Nicola at every opportunity. The significance of past unnecessary injuries weighs heavy on my memories of our playoff disappointments, a constant niggling regret. Giancarlo has become an important player for this club, there's no hiding from that, and that's exactly what I explained to him in my office this afternoon.

Giancarlo has not been too happy with this approach. With eleven goals in eleven games his recent form has been explosive to say the least, but while I have been trying to ease him in slowly, he has been champing at the bit to build up a string of ninety minute games to make the most of his injury-free start to the season. He's not so keen on being substituted in three of the last four matches. Ultimately it's a small conflict that shouldn't be anything to worry about, though it's important that we are able to know where we stand.

The other issue of the day is perhaps even more crucial, being as we are two days after Nicola Marino's 17th birthday. Despite his position in attack being currently under threat due to the sparkling partnership between Di Nicola and Costagliola, the subject of Marino's future is right at the top of our agenda, and it's therefore a big boost to have watched him sign on at Ragusa today until 2013. As a young member of the squad he's still on a relatively modest wage compared to the more established pros, but now that he's off the youth contract and onto a full-time pro version it seems unlikely to stay that way for long. Between these two an optimistic outlook is maintained.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Gino, and thanks virtex icon_smile.gif

It's supposed to be still going, though things are mental right now at work (the fact that I'm in work now, on a christmas bank holiday, illustrates that quite well icon_frown.gif ) and will continue to be so until Jan/Feb. Hopefully after that I will get some spare time to spend on Ragusa.

I've also followed your story for a while now and have just now finished it all. Absolute cracker of a story and I will continue to check in very often in eagerness of new updates and stories featuring the Regusa side. I am curious though, what is your job? Just curious because your writing skills are impeccable and it seems like you would be amazing as a journalist for a newspaper/magazine.

• 3 weeks later...

Great stuff!

I'm playing FM2005 with Lucchese in Serie C1/A, and I'm enjoying this tremendously. Your past two seasons have been cliff-hangers and you've risen to the challenge of bringing that drama alive.

Your story has much of the flavour of 'The Miracle of Castel di Sangro', surely the best football book ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much, Jackyl565 icon_smile.gif I work in software design.

Thanks emphyrio, best of luck with Lucchese icon_smile.gif. I enjoyed Joe McGinnis' book too, although I think I preferred Tim Parks' A Season With Verona overall.

Wednesday 15th October 2008

After a week's rest, Foggia is our destination tonight for the first leg of the Serie C Cup second round. The large Pino Zaccheria is capable of seating almost 25,000, though less than ten percent of that allocation has been taken as the side 12th in Serie C1/A host an unchanged Ragusa. Gaspare Pellegrino therefore only makes it as far as the bench upon returning from suspension, thanks mainly to the way Orlando and Mignani shone so brightly in an exemplary central midfield display last week.

Serie C Cup 2st round 1st Leg

Foggia v Ragusa

Ragusa lineup - Van Strattan; Santos, Fumagalli©, Capuano, Sabellini; Volpe, Orlando, Mignani, Matera; Di Nicola, Costagliola.

Playing away from home in the first leg is often tricky, but with a strong eleven on the pitch and four consecutive victories behind us we approached the tie with confidence. It paid dividends on 25 minutes, when Matera flicked on Sabellini's throw, Costagliola's cross took a slight deflection to find Di Nicola hovering near the penalty spot, and on this sort of form there was only one outcome when the ball met his right foot. One-nil, a lead sustained into half-time thanks to Jess van Strattan's acrobatic efforts to push aside Foggia captain Mario Niedda's stinging volley.

Foggia were unable to test van Strattan any further in the second half, despite increasing their share of possession. The big Aussie was well protected by some intelligent and dilligent defending, nullifying Foggia's attempts to break down our two banks of four and setting ourselves up to hit the home side on the counter. Volpe did just that in the 65th minute, carrying the ball up the left flank before finding Di Nicola in the centre, who helped the ball on to Costagliola arriving at the far post, and a curling first-time effort enabled the twenty year old to seal the win.

Final score: Foggia 0 - 2 Ragusa

Friday 31st October 2008

Much to our frustration, that fifth consecutive victory was to be the end of our good run. The rest of the month proved to be, in relative terms, a bit of a disaster.

Sunday the 19th took us to Pesaro for what has always proved to be a difficult test. Club captain Simone Tamburro replaced the injured Santos and the match started very well indeed, in fact so well that a Giancarlo Di Nicola double had put us two goals up inside the first quarter of an hour. The turning point was a sudden long range strike from Vis Pesaro veteran Costantino Borneo which put the home side right back into the game in the first half, then he went on to add a 70th minute equaliser that we were unable to recover from.

I was tempted to consider the result a decent away point, since Pesaro is never an easy place to travel to, but having possessed a 2-0 lead we were less than delighted. More to the point, Lecco's excellent start continued with a win at Teramo, their seventh in seven games. Early as it is, we don't want to give them too much of a head start. With Marco Delvecchio devastating in attack they are already looking strong favourites to figure in the title race.

A draw might not have been disastrous, but added to our following results it would contribute to a disappointing end to October. Worst of all was the return leg of our Serie C Cup second round encounter with Foggia, for which I have to take responsibility. Confident that we could easily protect a 2-0 advantage at home, I rested Van Strattan, Santos, Capuano, Pellegrino, Matera, Di Nicola and Costagliola - more than half our first team - and expected us to survive a fired-up Foggia with nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Two strikes from Foggia's Massimo Margiotta, who slipped free from Capuano's replacement Pietro Alderuccio for both goals, set up a tense final fourteen minutes as we suddenly found ourselves clinging onto a 2-2 aggregate score. Alderuccio's day just got worse when Margiotta hit again three minutes from time, the ball taking a decisive deflection off Pietro, and the defender's own goal completed a personal horror show, not to mention the humiliation caused by our own complacency as we bombed out of the competition.

A broken wrist for Nicola Marino capped a black day, the disappointment of which was still lingering when we travelled to on-form Trento that same week. Boasting six wins and a draw from their first seven league games, Trento were in no mood for sympathy. 36 year old World Cup winner Christophe Dugarry recalled his ability of years gone by to set the home side off in the first half with a 25 yard rocket, and despite our relative improvement in the second half, Simone Basso rounded off a 2-0 win for the better team on the day.

Sunday 2nd November 2008

November can't come soon enough, welcomed by a full Aldo Campo, some unseasonably bright sunshine and a home match against unbeaten Spal. Determined to turn around the team's recent poor form, Claudio Gallicchio brings his brand of tenacity to the midfield for his first league start of the season, while Franco Chiavarini and Eddy Baggio also find themselves back in favour.

Serie C1/B Fixture #09

Ragusa v Spal

Ragusa lineup - Van Strattan; Santos, Fumagalli©, Capuano, Sabellini; Volpe, Mignani, Gallicchio, Chiavarini; Di Nicola, Baggio.

Having spectated from the sidelines for most of the season, Claudio stepped onto the pitch today with a point to prove. It was his aggression and disruptive presence that broke the deadlock on 31 minutes, when he steamed onto the end of Di Nicola's inswinging corner and challenged the goalkeeper, the result being that the ball deflected off a flailing limb and into the back of the net. Not pretty, but effective.

Our second goal was far more aesthetically pleasing, started and finished by the classy Alessandro Volpe just before half-time. His ball up the wing gave Giancarlo Di Nicola the opportunity to attack the full back and cross, Eddy Baggio cut the ball back from the far post, and Volpe arrived in support to fire home from 9 yards.

Two-nil was perhaps flattering given that we had not set the world alight in the first half, but Luca Orlando stepped forth from the bench at half-time and was the major contributer to a much improved second half. His influence coaxed a more composed and dominating display from the home side, very different from the previous three performances. Di Nicola tested the woodwork in the 58th minute, then linked with substitute Costagliola to allow his teammate to add a late third.

Final score: Ragusa 3 - 0 Spal

Monday 3rd November 2008

A couple of contract issues to clear up this week. Simone Tamburro, club captain and senior player, today signalled his intention to see out his career in Ragusa by signing a year's extension to his current contract, extending the deal to 2010. Minimal fuss, dedication to the cause - typical Simone.

Jess van Strattan, meanwhile, is celebrating his extended run as first-choice goalkeeper by pricing himself onto the transfer list. Jess' deal also runs out in the coming summer but after early negotations we are still some distance apart. He had a good game yesterday and kept a clean sheet, but with Giuseppe Lenea waiting in the wings his place is far from secure and I'm not convinced he's worth the wages he is asking for.

Wednesday 5th November 2008

A second consecutive home fixture presents us with a favourable chance of further banishing the October misery, particularly when considering that Crotone are struggling in 11th and suffered a heavy defeat at Forlí at the weekend. Orlando and Gallicchio, perhaps the two most influential performers on Sunday, start in midfield while Costagliola comes in to allow the tiring Giancarlo Di Nicola to take a mutually accepted rest.

Serie C1/B Fixture #10

Ragusa v Crotone

Ragusa lineup - Van Strattan; Santos, Fumagalli©, Capuano, Sabellini; Volpe, Orlando, Gallicchio, Matera; Baggio, Costagliola.

Eddy Baggio's first team opportunities have been limited over the early part of the season, mainly thanks to the effervescent partnership of Di Nicola and Costagliola, but it was the veteran forward who made the difference in the first half this evening. Crotone had taken the lead against the run of play, Bernacci adding the finishing touch to a 20th minute counter-attack, but it was a short-lived lead that was obliterated by two Baggio strikes in two minutes.

The first arrived courtesy of a flowing move involving both central midfielders, before Eddy was composed enough to find the corner of the net when Claudio Gallicchio had played him in on goal. Crotone made a hash of the resulting kick-off, allowing Enrico Capuano to win possession back immediately, and when the ball was quickly worked forward to Baggio he benefitted from a defender's slip to prove that he could finish just as accurately with his left foot.

I felt that we were good value for the goal advantage at the break; Crotone had carved one chance and scored it, whereas we had been the better side for the rest of the half. If the away side were hoping to make more of an impact in the second half, their chances were ruined just three minutes in by some rash defending. Centre-back Francesco Olivieri, whose tumble had allowed Baggio the necessary space to net his second, found himself making a last-ditch attempt to tackle Luca Orlando just outside the penalty area. It was mis-timed, though the red card flourished by Oscar Girardi was perhaps a harsh judgement.

Fortified by a goal and a man advantage, we settled into a neat rhythm for the rest of the match. No risks necessary, just get the job done, keep Crotone at arm's length and make sure the three points are obtained. Luca Orlando is made for this scenario and set about controlling the pace of the game from midfield, distributing the ball effectively while being ably supported by his central partner.

It was fitting, therefore, that Luca would cap the game off with a third goal in the 84th minute. Substitute Simone Tamburro won the ball on the left and laid it off, Gallicchio spotted Orlando's forward dash and found him with a nicely weighted chip over the defence, and the Ragusa-born midfielder clipped it calmly around the goalkeeper to put the game beyond doubt.

Final score: Ragusa 3 - 1 Crotone

Monday 1st December 2008

October's disappointment has become distant memory, dismissed as a blemish in the form guide and consigned to history. November arrived and swept Ragusa back on the victory trail with greater focus, a rediscovery of panache exhibited prior to the tenth month.

Wins over Spal and Crotone lifted us to third in the league table and infused us with the confidence required to travel to Varese and help ourselves to a 4-0 away victory. Giancarlo Di Nicola grabbed his 15th and 16th strikes of the season, Eddy Baggio shook off a generally poor personal display to contribute two goals of his own, Varese's Rudy Nicoletto became the second player this month to be on the receiving end of a harsh red card, and ultimately Varese were left with yet more reason to dislike us on top of our patchy history.

Back home, Jess van Strattan eventually succumbed to the fact that we were completely unwilling to meet his wage demands and agreed to our final offer of £700 per week, which in the relative terms of our wage structure was generous enough already. Despite our financial situation being far better than the mess that it was two years ago, there was barely any breathing room under the wage budget as it was, and with the Australian's improved deal we're now slightly over budget. With Giuseppe Lenea waiting to pounce on the goalkeeper jersey, Jess is certainly going to have to work to justify his new contract.

Keeping two clean sheets in his next two games should go some way towards doing that. Mid-table Arezzo arrived in southern Sicily on a chilly Sunday afternoon, clearly intent on making it very hard for us by chasing, harassing and pressing admirably. Centre-back Stefano Fumagalli stepped up and made the difference before half-time with his first ever goal for Ragusa, an ambitious and hopeful defender's swing from 25 yards, allowing Di Nicola and Baggio to add to our lead in the second period for a 3-0 victory.

The final match of a successful November took us all the way north to a rain-soaked Biella. In an up-tempo game Gaspare Pellegrino celebrated his return to the starting lineup by claiming a rare goal, pouncing on a dangerous Di Nicola corner to benefit from a deflection and give us the lead on the stroke of half-time, before Giancarlo Di Nicola killed Biellese off in the second half with a delightful chip over the goalkeeper. Luca Orlando accepted the man-of-the-match accolades to complete a very impressive month for the midfielder, though he was but one part of a pleasing team performance in a fifth consecutive victory.

Sunday 7th December 2008

The Lanciano rossoneri are in town, the first time we have met since that sickening day in June 2007. I reserve special note for the haunting Mattia Pagano, still only 19 years old, who is fresh from a brace of goals in Lanciano's 5-1 thumping of Messina last week. That aside, however, their fortunes have not been good on their return to this division, and they currently wallow in an unexpected 16th position.

Serie C1/B Fixture #14

Ragusa v Lanciano

Ragusa lineup - Van Strattan; Santos, Fumagalli, Capuano, Sabellini; Volpe, Orlando, Pellegrino©, Matera; Di Nicola, Costagliola.

No slow starts today. Antonio Matera linked twice with Di Nicola early on to give Lanciano a scare, while Mattia Pagano's drive forced van Strattan to parry up the other end. The game flowed back and forth on an even basis until, as so often this season, Giancarlo Di Nicola proved to be the one with enough quality to give his team the edge. Massimo Costagliola crossed from the left, Giancarlo provided the finish at the near post, and for the remaining 15 minutes of the first half we had the visitors under constant pressure.

Costagliola could and perhaps should have made it two, flashing an effort over the bar, but made amends moments before the half-time whistle by linking with Sabellini and Pellegrino to provide the red hot Di Nicola with the chance to net his 20th of the season. The 2-0 cushion at half-time was welcome, and with spirits flying high there was no catching us once we had that lead.

Lanciano were dominated in the second half, never able to fashion a decent chance on goal. Mattia Pagano became a frustrated spectator while up the other end Giancarlo Di Nicola could do no wrong. In the 66th minute he laid one on for Costagliola to make it three, then the favour was returned late in the game to allow Giancarlo to complete his hat-trick, a cheeky little left-foot lob over the goalkeeper.

Final score: Ragusa 4 - 0 Lanciano

Friday 12th December 2008

"Bene, Nico, bene". Nicola Marino accepts Antonio's words of congratulation as he departs the pitch, knowing his two goals and one assist were undoubtedly decisive in the Ragusa Under-20s beating their Messina counterparts by three goals to one. The wrist? It's fine, of course; a minor fracture to young bone wasn't likely to hold him back for too long. The cloth bandage worn on the left arm, which Nicola has been flashing like a fashion accessory during the last three Under-20 matches, is there for not much more than comfort.

I am, however, contemplating the idea of leaving the youngster out of first-team activity until after Christmas. It is partly Antonio's suggestion. Despite Nicola's insistence to the contrary, last season did become a hard slog for him before the end. It was only to be expected in his first year. This injury could in fact be a blessing in disguise if we can exploit it in such a way that Nicola is held back, held back... then unleashed, in full fitness, during the second half of the season.

Another factor supporting the suggestion is the sparkling form of Giancarlo Di Nicola and Massimo Costagliola, that electric partnership. At the moment we don't need Marino's talents. Giancarlo's 15 league goals (21 in all competitions) puts him only one behind Marco Delvecchio in the scorers charts, supplemented by another 20 or so shared evenly between Costagliola and Eddy Baggio. The attack is firing well enough without the teenager, so we can afford to give him an extended break and hopefully, so the plan goes, prolong his energies a little further into summer.

Sunday 21st December 2008

December, thankfully, continued on the same course as November. The 14th marked a Sicilian derby at home to Messina, a team yet to win on the road this season, in which two unselfish assists from Di Nicola set-up strike partner Costagliola to win the game with a first-half double. Luca Orlando put in another man-of-the-match display, getting involved in everything as he carried his excellent November form into another month.

Our midweek travels took us to Martina Franca, bringing with us a club-record 7 game winning streak to match up with Martina's four consecutive victories. Something had to give, though at first it seemed that neither defence was willing to budge an inch; the home side had only conceded one goal in those last four games and were proving why, while Stefano Fumagalli and Enrico Capuano were standing equally strong in blue.

The difference this season has repeatedly been the form of Giancarlo Di Nicola, and it was his skill and killer instinct that enabled us to snatch the only goal of the game in the second half. Star performer Capuano was quick to halt another Martina attack, Luca Orlando looked long and early, and Di Nicola raced around the goalkeeper to make himself the match-winner - from defence to goal in under ten seconds. Jess van Strattan's string of clean sheets was kept intact thanks to the combination of a fantastic first-half save and a generous offside flag, as Martina saw a potential late equaliser disallowed by the linesman.

Tuesday 23rd December 2008

The bells of the basilica of San Mercuriale are ringing out a Buon Natale as we arrive in Forlí for the final fixture of the year, hoping to carry our form into the winter break. The home side could do with some Christmas cheer of their own, having failed to take more than one victory from their last seven games, but we're eager to keep pace with leaders Lecco in fear of stretching their three point gap at the top.

Serie C1/B Fixture #17

Forlí v Ragusa

Ragusa lineup - Van Strattan; Santos, Fumagalli, Capuano, Sabellini; Volpe, Orlando, Pellegrino©, Mignani; Di Nicola, Costagliola.

The respective confidence levels of the two teams was apparent from kick-off, as we started the brightest and looked to pressure Forlí as quickly as possible. Di Nicola forced a good save in the 6th minute, then on 12 minutes Gaspare Pellegrino bit into a tackle in midfield, Sabellini lifted the ball over the top with added backspin, and Di Nicola sprinted through to find the ball sitting up nicely for a right foot volley. 1-0.

Backed by 4,000 supporters, however, the home side was not allowed to slump and gradually forced their way back into the match. Either side of half-time Van Strattan was called upon to make saves, first to hold a long range drive and then to parry a header onto the post, but when Forli made in-roads from the left in the 58th minute he was unable to get anything behind David Errani's sweetly struck equaliser, hit hard and low with his left foot.

Pegged back momentarily, we recovered and drove forward with renewed impudence in the face of the crowd's rising expectation. Once again we looked toward our two most in-form players, and in the 64th minute Luca Orlando linked with Giancarlo Di Nicola down the left. Giancarlo's cross was hopeful yet still good enough for half-time substitute Eddy Baggio to be able to field it, use his strength to turn in the area, and then fire in a right-foot shot to put us back in front.

Unfortunately the lead was not to last and the Forlí tifosi would have their slice of seasonal joy. Errani was the architect this time, delivering a dangerously in-swinging corner from the right. Carlo Mignani stepped forth from the goalpost only to discover that Forlí's young defender Sandro Andreoli has spring-heeled boots, and was left spectating helplessly as Andreoli, from high amongst the clouds, glanced the ball goalwards to earn a draw.

Final score: Forlí 2 - 2 Ragusa

At the halfway stage, the Serie C1/B table looks - encouragingly - like THIS.

Thanks virtex and Sydney666 icon_smile.gif

Yes, work has calmed down a lot now so I have a little more free time. Still could do with a holiday to help recover though! icon_wink.gif

Monday 29th December 2008

And so to that welcome time of year when the winter chill freezes out the football season. Not that it drops below ten degrees very often here, but the break is appreciated nontheless. There was no white christmas in Ragusa; the worst extent of the weather mainfested in periods of mild rain that have dampened, freshened and moistened the slopes of the valleyed surround.

Tucked away indoors with family and friends, the players and the staff have earned their rest, of that there is no doubt. The mightily impressive Lecco may be unofficial Winter Champions, but the fact that we have narrowed an initially daunting to gap to just two points is testament to the effort and ambition exhibited by all during the last two months in particular. If Ragusa is serious about mounting a title challenge this season, and that is the target we tentatively set in the summer, keeping the leaders within our grasp at this stage was a crucial achievement. In the meantime we have produced the most prolific attack and combined it with the meanest defence in the division. The players can relax for Christmas and the New Year in satisfaction and concentrate on little more than conserving their energy - they'll need it.

Me? I just can't keep away. With the delighted chairman's trust and the full support of excited Ragusa fans comes an increased sense of duty, of responsibility and a determination to bring those hopes to fruition. Through this mindset I become the sole occupier of the flaking huts positioned on the edge of our deserted training ground, the office desk strewn with papers, each dropping tantalising hints to the acute observer that the transfer window opens in a matter of days. Well, what else would one do on a wet Monday?

The names that find their way to the top of the pile, few in number, are tucked into my jacket pocket and taken on the long, refreshing walk back into town, through the damp, bracing air and down the irregular, time-worn streets.

The first entry on the un-sorted list smacks of blind optimism and a touch of masochism, being as it is the name Giacomo Domizzi, but one can live in hope. All it takes is a certain stubbornness. The nineteen year old left-back continues to impress for 6th-placed Mantova and I'm more convinced than ever that he would slot into Ragusa's left side perfectly. A touch of encouragement is gained from the fact that Giacomo's current contract expires this year, although extortionate wages remain a looming obstacle and if I'm honest I'd mark this one down as a fool's hope.

Andrea Casu is an unfamiliar name belonging to an energetic nineteen year old anchorman who has been earning rave reviews at the heart of Lumezzane's midfield, a shining light in the team bottom of Serie C1/A. Again, however, Andrea's wages already amount to more than that of Alessandro Volpe, the highest paid player at our club, so tempting him away would be difficult. Central midfield is also perhaps not the most desperate of positions for further depth.

Born and groomed in the red-and-black of Lanciano, Massimo Del Prete is the third nineteen year old on my list. The pacey defender is primarily a centre-back but is also capable of covering right-back. He's aggressive, brave, sharp and very fit, qualities that have helped him to justify six man-of-the-match awards in fourteen appearances for his club. Enticingly, his contract will expire in March on his twentieth birthday and his wages are a little more within our league.

The odd man out is Diego Jesús Quintana, seeing as he is the only one on the shortlist who isn't a nineteen year old Italian. The experienced Argentinian, now 30, is rumoured to be getting fidgety at Serie C2/A outfit Como. He can cross well, remains very quick indeed and would fill that vacancy on the right side of midfield that has mostly been occupied by young Antonio Matera this season. If his discomfort is revealed, however, it is likely that we would face competition for Diego.

Saturday 3rd January 2009

Not intending to spend the entire Christmas break working, I returned home to England to usher in the new year with relatives. It was only then that I learned of an impending cup tie scheduled for today, for which a single last minute phone call was enough to secure tickets, and I found myself charging across the country into deepest, darkest East Anglia. Carrow Road was to preside over the FA Cup Third Round clash between Norwich City and Torquay United, a feast of yellow represented in chic custard goal-netting.

Over fourteen thousand people gathered on a nippy Wednesday evening to cheer on their respective teams. Personally I was there as a neutral and curious observer, not for one second anticipating an encounter of drama, glamour or classic footballing expertise, but merely present to show solidarity and interest in two former Ragusa comrades. Wearing number twenty-six on his back, Stuart Attewell started in the centre of Torquay's defence and put in an excellent performance, dominating the aerial battles all night. Stephen Cooke cut a more isolated figure out on Norwich's right side, looking a little more frustrated through being denied any sort of regular service, although he was unlucky not to leave his mark with a direct free-kick that flashed narrowly wide.

The match itself proved undeserving of my earlier dismissive comments by delivering a more than respectable quota of excitement, twisting at the end as second division Torquay squeaked a back-and-forth tie by three goals to two. A short reunion later, it was back to the road for a journey West through the night.

Wednesday 7th January 2009

Much, much further South I return to less disagreeable temperatures, though the wet weather clinging to the valley slopes has yet to lift for any significant length of time. In contrast, progression has been made on the transfer front, for better or worse. A fee of £14,000 with a further £16,000 over 12 months would have made Diego Jesús Quintana the most expensive player in he club's history, but when Serie B Treviso jumped in and blew our contract offer out of the water, Diego was presented with an easy decision. Serie B club on a generous wage, Serie C1 club on peanuts... I doubt that he pondered over it for too long.

Despite the Argentine's rejection, good news was to arrive in the form of negotiations with Massimo Del Prete this week, a young man who turns out to be more a placid character than his animated on-pitch persona would have you believe. With only three months remaining on his contract he was free to speak to us, interested in a team on the rise where he may be able to increase his first-team opportunities (and perhaps his wage packet too). This time, thankfully, a deal was struck, and Massimo is all set to make the move when his contract expires in March.

I can see Massimo playing alongside Enrico Capuano in the centre, either providing competition for Stefano Fumagalli or shifting the latter towards left back. It also gives us more cover at right back should Danilo Sabellini ever become unexpectedly unavailable. The opportunity to pick up a promising player on the cheap was just too good to resist, and now Del Prete will join Capuano, Fumagalli and Santos in blessing us with very strong options for the important centre-back position.

Friday 9th January 2009

The blatant omission from that list was Pietro Alderuccio. Already on the fringes, the pending arrival of Del Prete signals the end of Pietro's inclusion in the senior squad. With the player's consent we were in contact with a number of clubs this week, Fiorenzuola and Pavia providing the most interested responses, and it was Serie C2/B club Pavia who tempted Pietro the most.

Despite dropping down a division it is a good move for him - he will earn slightly more than he was getting here and will be considered an important first-team player. It also seals a good bit of business for Ragusa, as we have successfully replaced a non-essential player with a more promising acquisition who will feature more heavily in our plans, all at no extra cost. Success in the transfer market? Surely not!

Sunday 11th January 2009

Last season's playoff finalists Mantova arrive in Ragusa in good form, only one defeat in their last eight matches. Giacomo Domizzi does not accompany them, though this is not a pre-cursor to any transfer dealings; he has a suspension to serve as a result of four bookings. The visitors are not the only ones to suffer a withdrawal from their lineup, however, because we will have to make do without the Di Nicola-Costagliola partnership that has served us so well this season. Giancarlo is lacking fitness while Massimo has a twisted knee, so Eddy Baggio will step in and we are forced to re-introduce Nicola Marino slightly earlier than intended.

The minor alteration in defence is purely tactical - Santos and Fumagalli swap places, with Santos coming into the centre and Fumagalli trying his hand at left-back. They've both done a decent job in their more usual positions this season but I'm interested to see what happens in reverse.

Serie C1/B Fixture #18

Ragusa v Mantova

Ragusa lineup - Van Strattan; Fumagalli, Santos, Capuano, Sabellini; Volpe, Orlando, Pellegrino©, Matera; Marino, Baggio.

Three-and-a-half months have passed since Nicola Marino's last senior start, and yet the diminutive forward only needed sixteen minutes to announce his return. Mantova enjoyed some early pressure, but after Jess van Strattan had parried Caridi's effort and punched clear the resulting corner, Baggio and Volpe linked on the counter-attack to send Marino scurrying in behind the defence. The teenager collected Volpe's excellent diagonal ball and ran on to fire past the keeper with his left foot.

Just to make extra sure that nobody had forgotten the name, he would then contribute to the second goal just before half-time, following some hard work by Luca Orlando to win the ball back in midfield. It was Marino's pass that found Eddy Baggio's diagonal run into the area, and a well-struck effort enabled the veteran forward to give us a two goal cushion at the break.

Mantova are made of sterner stuff than most and refused to crumble, determined as they were to get a grip on the second half and make themselves more dangerous. As a result we met fire with fire, introducing Carlo Mignani and Claudio Gallicchio from the bench during the second half to figure alongside man-of-the-match Gaspare Pellegrino, giving us sufficient ferocity across the line to maintain the upper hand in a combative midfield. Marino sent a chance for a third goal over the crossbar, while Jess van Strattan preserved his clean sheet with a good save in injury time as Mantova remained frustrated.

Final score: Ragusa 2 - 0 Mantova

Despite the clean sheet the defensive experiment failed to yield much; Fumagalli did okay at left back, though Mantova rarely pushed down their right flank, while Santos struggled to cope with Gaetano Caridi in the centre. We have certainly played better but it was a decent, solid victory against a good side, made all the more important considering that Lecco also started the new year with a win and remain two points ahead.

Thanks Bob icon_wink.gif

Wednesday 14th January 2009

News from Spain this evening reports that Real Madrid have done the unthinkable and finally lost a game! In the Spanish Cup quarter final with Catalan-based Espanyol, the indomitable Real somehow managed to throw away a 2-0 first leg advantage to lose 1-4, Raul Bravo's 86th minute own goal sending them crashing out of the competition.

Prior to this Madrid had not yet lost a match under their new head coach, former Benfica and Real Sociedad boss Jose Antonio Camacho, who ironically also managed Espanyol for three and a half years. His very first game as Madrid coach was a penalty shootout victory over Real Betis to win the Spanish Super Cup in August last year, and in the 30 domestic and European matches since, including a successful campaign to finish top of their Champions League Group A, they had not tasted defeat until tonight.

Sunday 18th January 2009

It might be some way short of thirty, but our own humble streak of ten matches undefeated straddles three months of football and provides a psychological advantage over 8th-placed Viterbese, who dare us to try and extend the run at the Enrico Rocchi in Viterbo today. Massimo Costagliola's knee has improved to allow him to make it as far as the bench, though Giancarlo Di Nicola still does not travel and is joined on the injury list by Santos, meaning Fumagalli returns to the centre of defence and Tamburro takes over at left back.

Serie C1/B Fixture #19

Viterbese v Ragusa

Ragusa lineup - Van Strattan; Tamburro, Fumagalli, Capuano, Sabellini; Volpe, Orlando, Pellegrino©, Mignani; Marino, Baggio.

The first half, indeed the first hour of the match revealed an even balance with not much to separate the two teams. Not much, that is, besides the two occasions when Viterbese bowed down and all but invited us to take an unwarranted lead. The home side's good work in the opening 23 minutes looked in danger of being undone when Nicola Marino was shoved unceremoniously in the penalty area and an unnecessary spot-kick was awarded in our favour. Eddy Baggio, goalscorer in each of his last two games, only stepped up a slice a dismal penalty wide of the post, much to the delight of the fans behind the goal with mocking arms outstretched.

Midway through the second half Viterbese reached for the self-destruct button once again. One moment Carlo Mignani was making a nuisance of himself as usual, the next moment he was curled up on the turf clutching his face. Viterbese's Ricci had swung an elbow in full view of referree Oscar Girardi, and in our experience if there's one official you do not want to get on the wrong side of it's the infamous Signor Girardi. The predictable flash of red surely signalled danger for the home team and a great opportunity for the visitors.

Unfortunately, Viterbese's mistakes would only be overshadowed by our inability to capitalise on them. In the 71st minute Sierra fed a ball through our defence, nineteen year old Stefano Cioffi managed to latch onto it ahead of Enrico Capuano, and the young striker kept his cool to dribble round van Strattan to score his eleventh goal from eleven starts. Our subsequent failure to get a single shot on target against ten men ranks up there with Viterbese's earlier errors, and we paid the price as time ticked away on our unbeaten run.

Final score: Viterbese 1 - 0 Ragusa

It had to end some time, though it was disappointing to see it happen against ten men in a game that was there for the taking. It could have been so different if we had scored the penalty in the first half. Just to add a final kick in the teeth, Luca Orlando and Carlo Mignani both picked up yellow cards and will be suspended for the big one, for which we now have a week to prepare - Lecco come to Ragusa on the 26th...

Friday 23rd January 2009

The Ragusa Under-20 team were up in Lecco this evening, earning no reward for their long trip north as they stuttered to a 0-0 draw with their Lecco counter-parts. Gabriele Catania did himself no favours at a time when he is trying to arrange an extension to his contract, as he received a straight red in the second half for angrily kicking out at defender Antonio Bevilacqua.

The striker will be 20 next month and his current deal expires in July. Antonio still favours him and believes that we should hang on to his talents, but considering that we are already slightly over our wage budget, and considering that Gabriele is asking for £300 per week which would be more than either Giuseppe Lenea or indeed Nicola Marino, I remain firmly unconvinced.

Left-back Marco Locatelli, however, who has not featured in the senior team since the Coppa Italia defeat at Empoli in early September, was reportedly the best player on the park.

Sunday 25th January 2009

As if tomorrow's match didn't carry enough weight already, today an injury time goal by striker Vincenzo Chianese, his 21st of the league campaign, inched 3rd-placed Spal past Arezzo 3-2 in a game that they trailed twice. Spal are now piling the pressure on, just two points beind us with an extra game played.

Thanks dr-nix icon_smile.gif

Monday 26th January 2009

The morning of the biggest game of the season and we start with a disaster. The anxious expression on Gaspare Pellegrino's face is courtesy of a twinge in his groin, an affliction that has troubled him greatly over the past few seasons. We can't risk it. Top-of-the-table clash or not, Gaspare is too valuable to make the decision to throw him in there and cross our fingers. He'll have to sit this out.

Normally this would not be so terrible, but in addition to the suspensions of Orlando and Mignani we now have ourselves a last-minute problem in the centre of the park. Antonio and I crunch through the available options double-time. Alessandro Volpe will have to tuck infield and play in the middle alongside Gallicchio, with Simone Tamburro bringing his experience to the left of midfield. This is a risk in itself - we don't know how Volpe will cope with the central role, as he has always been operating out wide in a Ragusa shirt.

This is not the ideal way to approach such an important fixture. No Luca, no Carlo, now no Gaspare... and meanwhile Giancarlo Di Nicola is barely struggling back from the injury that has kept him out since Christmas, so he only makes the bench. Hopefully we can introduce him against a tired Lecco in the second half.

Important is an understatement. Granted, it is still only January, and the losing coach will wake up tomorrow morning and insist that the race is far from over, that there are plenty of points to play for... but the psychological impact could be significant. If Lecco win and do the double over us, they will re-open the gap to six points. If we win, we will actually move ahead on goal difference and knock them off the top for the first time in months. Never again will I dismiss the phrase "six-pointer" as a mere cliché.

The win-loss records state that Lecco's victory over us at the Rigamonti-Ceppi in September is the only difference between the two teams, as if you can boil the entire league table down to one Piotr Matys first-half strike. Where the standings struggle to separate us, the recent form guide only blurs the issue further; our three wins, one draw and one loss is only slightly better than Lecco's two wins, two draws and one loss.

The month of rain has finally departed and it looks like being a dry, chilly day. Things could well heat up in the evening...

Thanks guys icon_smile.gif

Serie C1/B Fixture #20

Ragusa v Lecco

Ragusa lineup - Van Strattan; Santos, Fumagalli, Capuano, Sabellini; Tamburro©, Volpe, Gallicchio, Matera; Marino, Costagliola.

As you'd expect, the Aldo Campo is filled to bursting and awash with blue and white. The locals have been generous with their support all season long and tonight's occasion is not lost on any of them, packing the modest stadium and welcoming the teams onto the green surface. In the middle of the season it has the air of a mini cup final.

The visitors' evening gets off to a stuttering start. Lecco captain Riccaro Gissi picks up an injury just five minutes in and is replaced by Gianluca Berardi, a young midfielder who was once a transfer target of ours - in fact a year ago we agreed a fee with Lecco, only for the deal to break down on personal terms. Since then the eighteen year old has impressed enough to fight his way out of the reserves and into the senior squad.

Berardi also seems keen on making an impact tonight. He and Delvecchio both try their luck from long range, the youngster's effort forming the first shot on target of the match, but Jess van Strattan is able to deal comfortably. Berardi then spoils his positive start by showing the inexperience of impetuous youth and argues his way into the referee's notebook.

In the 25th minute, Luca Selce takes a deep free-kick for Lecco; a wicked, curling, dipping delivery into the heart of our defence. The ball is not met firmly and panic ensues as it bounces in the penalty area, attackers and defenders alike converging in an attempt to get there first. Marco Delvecchio's striker's instincts enable him - for once - to nip in front of Enrico Capuano, the toe of his left boot glancing the ball goalwards from eight or nine yards, but Jess van Strattan reacts quickly and spreads himself. My view from the touchline is obscured as the ball spins up off the goalkeeper's anatomy, squirms away to connect with the goalpost, and then suddenly Lecco players are emerging from the melee with raised arms and exhultant cries. Marco Delvecchio recieves most of the congratulations, but it turns out that he had merely pressured Enrico Capuano into stumbling the ball over his own goal line. First blood to Lecco.

Not the start we were after, and it could have been worse before it got better, if Jess van Strattan had not kept the deficit to just one goal at half-time. Delvecchio was involved again, getting the better of Capuano unlike their last meeting in September, as it was his nod-down that opened a gaping hole for Michele Palermo to arrive on a lungbursting run from midfield. Van Strattan stood big and was even able to hold on to Palermo's first-time effort.

At half-time we clearly had work to do. Our core was looking weak, we were not picking up runners from midfield, our wide players were not involved in the game at all and we had not managed a single shot on goal. Perhaps this wasn't the best time to experiment with something new, but a positive change was necessary and at this point we had nothing to lose. Antonio and I hatched our second ad-hoc plan of the day.

Simone Tamburro would shift in from the left and take up a central anchorman role, sitting in front of the defence and behind the midfield pair of Volpe and Gallicchio. Antonio Matera was told he would not be taking part in the second half; we now needed the impact of Giancarlo Di Nicola to come off the bench and reunite his partnership with Costagliola in attack. Nicola Marino would then step back off the front line and float in the hole behind them in a free role.

With Simone's harsh tones ringing in his teammates' ears, we set out for the second half anew and threaten straight away. Determined not to let Delvecchio get the better of him in this half, a fired-up Enrico Capuano steps forth and wins an aerial challenge, the ball falling to Nicola Marino in space. A delicate turn and he slides the ball into the path of Massimo Costagliola, his cross seeks out Di Nicola looking instantly lively in the box, but the opportunity is crowded out by three Lecco defenders and Selce clears.

It's a spark to ignite the second half. Lecco reply immediately with an attack of their own, when Bogani plays the ball into Piotr Matys' feet and races on for the return. The Polish forward has ideas of his own, however, and uses the run as a decoy to create enough space for him to shape up and let fly another ferocious drive from 22 yards. Unlike a similar event in September, this time Jess van Strattan is equal to the effort and launches himself to the left, a strong arm parrying the ball away to safety.

In the 56th minute Bogani pauses and looks for Matys to link again, but the hesitation is punished as Alessandro Volpe swoops and takes the ball off the midfielder's toe. Volpe's early ball over the top is floated beautifully into space in the left channel, Nicola Marino's run from deep is not picked up, and suddenly there's a chance. Scampering free from the turning defenders and finding himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper with the crowd rising expectantly to their feet, the teenager could be forgiven for showing nerves in such a tense situation. Not this kid. Emanuele Concetti advances but is left stranded, head tilting back as he watches the perfect, calm, accurate chip rise into the evening sky and then drop into the corner of his net. 1-1.

Tonight the Aldo Campo is a powder keg and someone just lit the touch paper. The curva is still bouncing as we line up for kick-off and Simone is clapping his hands aggressively, exerting his influence from the heart of the team. The ball is soon won back and we push forward again. Within minutes Fumagalli comes short for a Santos throw-in at the halfway line and sweeps the ball down the wing to where Giancarlo Di Nicola has pulled wide onto the fullback, a sight that always creates a further buzz of anticipation. Giancarlo duly turns Matteo Melani outside, inside and then outside again, bringing another roar from the fans as he slips the ball past the desperate defender and drives into the left side of the penalty area. A quick glance up and Giancarlo clips the ball across the six yard box at head height, to where Massimo Costagliola powers his way through his clinging marker and crashes the ball past Concetti with his forehead. Lecco have barely had chance to draw breath and they're 2-1 down.

On advice from their dugout, this time they do a better job of keeping possession and hold on to the ball for a few minutes - they need to regroup, need to let the crowd settle down. It's an effective approach and we're chasing shadows for a short while as the visitors reclaim their grip on the game. It culminates in Marco Delvecchio cleverly slipping Capuano on the right side of our box in the 68th minute with a fantastic flick, a turn and a cut-back, but when Piotr Matys arrives threateningly in front of the penalty spot he can only hit it straight at van Strattan.

That period of possession has still not taken the heat out of the game, however, and we look to respond immediately as another Volpe pass over the top looks for Costagliola, but he's denied by a last ditch tackle from the impressive Luca Selce, covering well for his fellow defenders. In the 75th minute Volpe tries it again, that fabulous left foot instantly creating an attack out of a midfield struggle with an unexpected lofted ball into the space behind the Lecco defence, and this time Selce isn't there as Massimo Costagliola races away towards goal. We're on our feet again as Massimo shifts the ball onto his right foot at the edge of the area and lets fly... only for the ball to thunder off the inside of Concetti's post and stay out!

Our homegrown attacking triumvirate is clearly causing the Lecco defence problems; Di Nicola stretching them wide, Marino dropping elusively deep and Costagliola powering in behind. They link again in the 84th minute when Marino sends Di Nicola haring off to the cornerflag to gather the ball ahead of left-back Luca Selce. Giancarlo jinks to successfully create crossing room from Selce's close attentions, and his chip into the centre comes to Costagliola with his back to goal. Massimo's strength enables him to turn to his left and bring his right foot around as the centre-back challenges, thrashing the ball goalwards from twelve yards. Concetti spreads himself in vain, helpless as the ball flies beyond his grasp for the third time that evening, and the lead is 3-1.

As we celebrate madly on the sideline, Lecco coach Alberto Cavasin is also off the bench trying to rally his shellshocked troops. The away side switch to a desperate 4-2-4 so I withdraw Nicola Marino and send an extra defender on in the form of Marco Locatelli, who slots in at left-back and passes on instructions for Santos to move into the centre and make it a solid five across the back. These crucial points are ours, we just have to protect it for five minutes.

Massimo Costagliola has other ideas, full of confidence and inspired by the scent of a hat-trick. Santos' 89th minute free-kick sails high into the Lecco penalty area to keep it as far away from our goal as possible, where Giancarlo Di Nicola rises high above Lecco's Alberto Porcuedge to flick a header diagonally across to Costagliola near the penalty spot, who makes no hesitation in meeting it with a header of his own. The goalkeeper is beaten for a fourth time, the ball looping towards the far post and dipping at the last moment to put the perfect seal on an unbelievable second half.

Final score: Ragusa 4 - 1 Lecco

hey man i just skipped about 20 pages of your story, but it seems like good stuff and has given me an idea of what to do for a next challenge. When i leave my doncaster team ill wait until a team from the same league you chose becomes available.Congrats on the victory, what year you in?

Archived