Everton - struggling

Right, it's as simple as this - I cannot succeed with Everton on FMT16 (played on iPad, iOS10). 

The starting transferbudget is low, but that's no significant issue. The wage budget isn't bad. The squad isn't bad (though you start with a lot of injured players you can't play/sell on the winter update). 

In my current game I have Ospina in goal, Baines, Jagielka, Stones and Coleman across the back (with Galloway, Funes Mori, Balanta and Holgate backing them up). I have two deep lying ball winning midfielders, Gary Medel and Mo Besic, with Barkley ahead of them (with Cleverley, Ledson and Barry backing up). I have Mirallas and Deulofeu in the advanced wings position (Aaron Lennon backs them both up), and my forwards are Niasse, Callum Wilson and Lukaku. 

Basically I can't win away, can't stop conceding, and I'm not scoring. My squad is solid, I have Comolli as director of football, Linderman as assistant manager. So I think my staff are good as well, but it just never happens for me. 

Any tactical ideas? How should I set up in terms of team instructions etc? 

Thanks! 

Hi tommos16

I found that I was having the same problem but my problem was more of a fundamental issue in regards to tactics and formations, then I found a really good website which gave me good grounding. So whatever team I use now I do pretty well with them. 

Here is the link and I know it will definitely help you too - http://sisportscentre.com/

Let me know if it helps you, much appreciated.

Although you haven't specifically listed your tactics, one thing stands out in your OP. You are playing 2 BWM in midfield. Ball winning midfielders can be useful, but they do tend to charge around out of position, leaving your centre halfs exposed. Try playing one of them as an anchor man or just a DM(S) instead.

I have a save with Everton going at the moment (just about to start 4th season), and I did really well playing a 4-1-2-3 DM wide. Baines, Jags, Stones and Coleman is a great defensive line, and with Barry or Mo ahead of them as an anchorman they can be really tough to break down. In the MC slot I had Barkley and Cleverley (1 as BBM and 1 as RPM), with Gerry as an AML with the IF(A) role and Mirallas as AP(S) in the AMR position. Striker played as a False 9. Mentality - Control, shape - structured. GK set to distribute to DC, and Stones listed as a BPD. Worked a treat.

Archived