Allow ex players on coaching staff to mentor players

mhaffy

Tutoring plays a key role in player development and can help "mould" young players personality and ppm's etc. At the moment certain "suitable" other players are the only potential tutors that you can use. I often offer coaching roles to players when they retire from playing, and lots of other coaches are ex-players, but at the moment all they can do is "coach". Why not introduce a "Mentoring" option whereby ex players now on the coaching staff can, like tutors, help with a young players personality and ppm's development? Mentoring is normally more of on ongoing relationship and somewhat more informal that tutoring, which tends to be for a fixed period and more formal/structured. For FM purposes, mentoring could be incorporated to give the same potential benefits of tutoring but it would take longer to achieve. Introducing such a mentoring capability for coaching staff in the game would give you more options to help mould young player development and, hopefully, is something that could be considered for future versions of the game.

I think 1-2-1 tutoring is overpowered & unrealistic so Id' rather have it removed from the game in its current form & allow the recently added team personality blend system to be the primary factor along with the natural influence of coaching personalities in how young players personalities develop.

2 hours ago, Barside said:

I think 1-2-1 tutoring is overpowered & unrealistic so Id' rather have it removed from the game in its current form & allow the recently added team personality blend system to be the primary factor along with the natural influence of coaching personalities in how young players personalities develop.

Out of curiosity, in what ways do you find one on one tutoring overpowering and unrealistic? Should I be utilizing it more/less? 

Is the feature really unrealistic? You often hear about the importance of senior players helping to "bring on"/develop youngsters, as well as coaches. Re John Stones, there seems to be an expectation that his game will improve under Pep Guardiola's management..........

Maybe it is overpowered (maybe not); if it is overpowered, then surely it's impact should be reduced by making it take longer to have an impact rather than the feature being totally removed from the game!

1 hour ago, Weston said:

Out of curiosity, in what ways do you find one on one tutoring overpowering and unrealistic? Should I be utilizing it more/less? 

IN what world would a 30 year old professional provide direct tutoring of a 15 year old youth team player? IRL they'll probably not even know the lads name.  As for the overpowered aspect I find it far to easy to change core personality traits that are to the negative end of the scale with a simple 6 month tutoring exercise,  real life just ain't that simple. 

The team at SI have done a very good job with introducing other factors that can see a manager shape the personality of their squad in much more subtle ways so now that they're well established it's time to drop a feature that was useful 10 or 15 years ago but is no longer in tune with the more nuanced modern iterations of FM.

2 minutes ago, Barside said:

IN what world would a 30 year old professional provide direct tutoring of a 15 year old youth team player? IRL they'll probably not even know the lads name.  As for the overpowered aspect I find it far to easy to change core personality traits that are to the negative end of the scale with a simple 6 month tutoring exercise,  real life just ain't that simple. 

The team at SI have done a very good job with introducing other factors that can see a manager shape the personality of their squad in much more subtle ways so now that they're well established it's time to drop a feature that was useful 10 or 15 years ago but is no longer in tune with the more nuanced modern iterations of FM.

Makes sense, though I suppose that is a bit of an extreme example, and could be fixed with altering the effectiveness of it and increasing the rate at which those 30 yr old players decline to tutor the 15 yr olds. I feel like it's reasonably common with first team veterans taking a younger player that just broke into the first team below them in the same position under their wing, though, say like Del Piero did with Giovinco or something.

Did his manager ask him to do that or do you think it was Del Piero's personality as a player who wasted his younger years that saw him help another younger player who he thought might make the same mistakes he did?

1 minute ago, Barside said:

Did his manager ask him to do that or do you think it was Del Piero's personality as a player who wasted his younger years that saw him help another younger player who he thought might make the same mistakes he did?

I think you bring up a good point in that players with leader personalities could also step up and ask to tutor a player without you even suggesting it, but what on Earth do you mean Del Piero "wasted his younger years"? Del Piero had achieved more at 21 than most players achieve in a lifetime...

Haha nooooo, they're very different! While he's maybe not the friendliest player I've met, Toni is guilty at most of being a journeyman who it could be argued peaked later than most.

In any case, I get your points about tutoring and agree it deserves some tweaks, just don't think it's worth scrapping entirely.

Would it be a logical change to change the requirements for tutoring to players playing in or staff primarily coaching the team the tutee is in? It might need to be accompanied by changes to how being in particular teams affect the happiness and development of players to make it more difficult to just move the players to different teams to suit the tutoring

• 4 months later...

Archived