Ever been really caught off guard by an unusual AI formation?

For the first time in a very long time I came across a formation that I just couldn't quite get my head around in terms of where to attack, how best to defend and such. I generally always have an idea, but in a recent game against AA Gent they lined up with a rather unusual formation. Just as a note, this is more of a broader discussion and perhaps how people approach curveballs in general, rather than this specific formation.

kGYGLFH.png

After going 2 goals down very quickly I was able to start getting a grip and towards the end, being Bayern eventually just the superiority of the squad showed and it was pulled back to 2-2 but it was very difficult to get a grasp on it because such an unusual shape seemed to give it an awful lot of pliability and flexibility in the game.

It's the first time in a long time though that the game has left me a little scratching my head, it's nice to come across though as it really reinforces the notion that with the right approach any formation can work, and yet on the flip side it's also quite nice that by resorting to sitting deep, hitting it long and bringing on pace in the late stages you can still pull it back in FM with such a simple approach. 

I wish I had a screenshot of it, but in FM 15 I saw a side play a formation very like that, but instead of that CM No. 14, they had a third striker.

If I'm thinking right, it was Sassuolo and they made CL football by winning loads of games 5-4 and such.

I wish I had a screenshot of it, but in FM 15 I saw a side play a formation very like that, but instead of that CM No. 14, they had a third striker.

If I'm thinking right, it was Sassuolo and they made CL football by winning loads of games 5-4 and such.

This formation was certainly solid at the back, it had a strange 7 man compression that left very little space for passing and incisive play. 

I have seen the formation you're talking about though Alanschu it looks a bit like an old space invader type unit in defence to me, always dislike playing teams like that because it's got the potential to lead to your side over-extending trying to get a goal. Sometimes having patience is the hardest thing against that formation. 

I'm in 2037 and about 2/3 of the teams in the premier league seem to play the formation you've got in the OP. I've managed to beat it a few times by playing a back 5 and man marking the 2 strikers, but that doesn't work every time 

This fecking thing !

Spent a few seasons managing with Southampton and after back to back CL wins i decided to accept a job offer to manage in Brazil.

Id come across the formation before but never to the extent that Brazilian teams use it.

Once i set up a formation to deal specifically with this shape the season went fine.

Box.png

Archived