[Discussion] Players taking penalty to score hat trick

Silver Twilight Sparkle

There needs to be some better control when this happens. I noticed some people suggesting a prompt for you to approve which is a possible solution.

If its out of the manager control to prevent it then you should have an option to talk to the player and penalty taker that let him take it even if he misses or scores the penalty, because i would not like him to take it even if he scores it.

And im not even sure this should be happening in some leagues. We dont even have a translation for "hat trick" in brazilian portuguese, and this term is never used here when a player scores 3 goals, we simply say he scored 3 goals. This should be limited to European leagues since it seems to be more of an European thing to want to score a "hat trick".

I like the idea of a text box pop up when the penalty is awarded. Something that says {player x} wants to take the penalty {over regular taker x} to complete his hat trick. The team looks over to you  -   ALLOW  /  DECLINE.

Nice in theory to get a say in who takes it during the match but does this actually happen in real life? Rarely, I'd say.

More often than not, the dispute/decision happens between the players on the pitch when a penalty, or even free kick, is taken by a player who doesn't normally take them and the manager doesn't get a say at all.

It's one of those where you have to decide between realistic and improving the game.

I feel this is something that is part and parcel of football, and I'm not sure managers have a huge inclination to stop players from taking a penalty when on a hattrick.

I suppose there are times when distinctions need to be drawn. If you are 3-0  then let someone grab the ball that isn't your regular taker, but if you're 2-2 then you're going to want to be safe and have the regular take the penalty. Perhaps there is some way to build an option in to the game to distinguish those moments, but we're already getting in to the realms of 'maybe too far for a game' with this.

I personally believe we need to have more ways to speak to players, and ways that aren't just praise or scold. We need ways to have a friendly chat, because I wouldn't personally scold a player for missing a penalty when on a hattrick. I'd say that maybe next time he'll think again if a match is tight.

I certainly don't think managers get involved on a pitch, or at least I've not heard of it happening. If it is done off the pitch then I think any player forced not to take a penalty, when on a hattrick, should possibly get an unhappy icon, and especially if ambitious or competitive.

In summary, I suppose an option to allow a hattrick player to take a penalty is a possibility, but it'd be easy to take this too far. There also should be consequences for intervening as a manager.

• 4 months later...

Archived